The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
theman
Banned User

Default Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

say what you will about Batman Forever or joel schumacher, but there is absolutly no denying that the the merchandising for batman forever was the best the franchise has ever had. BATMAN may have done better at the box office but there was hardly any good merchandise or toys for the film as the studio wasnt prepared for the mega hit it turned out to be. Batman Returns did do better this time and did have a nice toy collection by kenner along with a mcdonalds deal and all that but the film wasnt exactly the kind of film you could market well with kids and the toy line while it had a few cool vehicles, alot of it was just repaints and the penguin figure was terrible and just a superpowers repaint.

however with Batman Forever, not only did schumacher give the proper licenses to all the major companies, but then you had ALL that cool stuff at the warner brothers studio store, all the different flashy gizmo's, tin cans, those amazing glass mugs at mcdonalds, but the truly amazing bit of merchandising was Kenner's line of figures toys vehicles and playsets. it was HUGE.completely new sculpts with awsome looking and creative batamn variants, almost every figure was a different bodysculpt and there were plenty of new villian figures and sculpts, some 2 packs with movie accurate weapons, others with very neat gadgets and sculpts. then the vehicles, the film had 3, the batnmobile, batplane and batboat, which were so incredibly awsome looking and had LOTS of detail, cool electronic features or transforming ability. then you had that HUGE tri-level playset that had all the new sculpts and wasnt just a repaint of the Returns playset (which they also had as well). it was an amazing run of toys that even the more toyetic batman and robin couldnt out do.

theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #2
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

Default Re: Batman Forever had the best merchandising of ALL the Batman films

Yeah, I still have a Riddler And Batman Glasses From Mc D's

Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
eledoremassis02
Side-Kick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcVRqAo-bzg

Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #4
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Of course it did, the movie itself was damn toy commercial.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #5
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
True.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
theman
Banned User

Quote:

i think your talking about batman and robin actually.

batman forever gets unfair treatment i think, it tends to get lumped in with B&R but the truth is batman forever had more depth and a better story, some even say its arguably a better batman movie then the previous 2 because it concentrated more on the hero rather then just the villians. you also have to remember how well Forever did back in the day, it was the "most lucrative picture of the year", which i had no idea it was that successful. if it was as rediculous as B&R was then it wouldnt have done well at all, but schumacher held back a bit in Forever and still seemed to retain some of the darkness of tim burtons movies while defiently livening it up and adding color and making the movie alot bigger and brighter. i guess im a fan of the black with blue lights underneath, all the vehicles had that ribbing with the blue underneath with that giant fin on the back, i though that was cool. it didnt get so ultra cheesy rediculousness like in B&R with that all-white ice thing and the batmobile haveing red strobe lights in the front with NO HOOD. nothing in B&R looked like anything batman would use. THAT movie was a toy commercial. yeaha forever had the "ill get drive through" line and theres no doubt Forever was more commercialized then the previous 2 but that didnt detract it seems from its popularity and even now, i find that funny and so 90's but still its a great fun movie to me and wasnt at all "just a toy commercial". that kind of comment should be reserved for B&R only.

Last edited by theman; 04-29-2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:46 PM   #7
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

it was great marketing I still have alot of BF merch still part of my collection. I remember the first time I saw the film logo (riddler question mark surrounding the bat) it was truly iconic.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #8
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
i think your talking about batman and robin actually.

batman forever gets unfair treatment i think, it tends to get lumped in with B&R but the truth is batman forever had more depth and a better story, some even say its arguably a better batman movie then the previous 2 because it concentrated more on the hero rather then just the villians. you also have to remember how well Forever did back in the day, it was the "most lucrative picture of the year", which i had no idea it was that successful. if it was as rediculous as B&R was then it wouldnt have done well at all, but schumacher held back a bit in Forever and still seemed to retain some of the darkness of tim burtons movies while defiently livening it up and adding color and making the movie alot bigger and brighter. i guess im a fan of the black with blue lights underneath, all the vehicles had that ribbing with the blue underneath with that giant fin on the back, i though that was cool. it didnt get so ultra cheesy rediculousness like in B&R with that all-white ice thing and the batmobile haveing red strobe lights in the front with NO HOOD. nothing in B&R looked like anything batman would use. THAT movie was a toy commercial. yeaha forever had the "ill get drive through" line and theres no doubt Forever was more commercialized then the previous 2 but that didnt detract it seems from its popularity and even now, i find that funny and so 90's but still its a great fun movie to me and wasnt at all "just a toy commercial". that kind of comment should be reserved for B&R only.
The Batmobile drives up a wall.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #9
theman
Banned User

Quote:
The Batmobile drives up a wall.

and a motorcycle magically pops out of the batmobile in TDK. and the batmobile can fit through a tiny alleyway in Returns. so your point is...

Old 04-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #10
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRkVeNgeanCe View Post
it was great marketing I still have alot of BF merch still part of my collection. I remember the first time I saw the film logo (riddler question mark surrounding the bat) it was truly iconic.
Yeah It was. I Had That Hat.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #11
El Payaso
Banned User

"It's better than B&R" is not exactly the praise of the century.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #12
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck

If I'm Wrong Ok. But I Think BF Grossed More Than BR.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 PM   #13
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
and a motorcycle magically pops out of the batmobile in TDK. and the batmobile can fit through a tiny alleyway in Returns. so your point is...
That's like typical James Bond stuff. In Batman Forever, the Batmobile DRIVES UP A ****ING WALL. An adult wrote that. Now I'm done talking about it.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #14
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1Jones View Post
it did, but BR was still one of the top 3 grossing films the year it was released.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 PM   #15
Catman
Banned User

And the summer's biggest movie.

Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:07 PM   #16
theman
Banned User

Quote:
That's like typical James Bond stuff. In Batman Forever, the Batmobile DRIVES UP A ****ING WALL. An adult wrote that. Now I'm done talking about it.

an adult also wrote the scene with a tank driving on ****ing ROOFTOPS. is that not what the batmobile did in Forever? except they only showed it driving up the wall which honestly looked way cooler and secondly makes about as much sense as a 2 ton tank riding around on roofs when in real life would have crashed down into someones apartment due to the weight.

seriously, just admit that ALL the batman films did some crazy sh** with the batmobile and that all of them defy gravity and logic. dont single out batman forever simply because you didnt personally like it.

Last edited by theman; 05-01-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Spoonman
Side-Kick

^Actually, the whole "driving up the wall" thing (for a few seconds as you just said, no less) I didn't know it was such a big deal before the Internet. I agree is not fair to single out Forever.

Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy1Jones View Post
And Transformers 2 made more than both.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #19
Spoonman
Side-Kick

^As a Batman fan, I never really lost sleep over how much money Transformers 2 did, but thanks for the info I guess.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:42 PM   #20
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
^As a Batman fan, I never really lost sleep over how much money Transformers 2 did, but thanks for the info I guess.
As movies fan you might know that money and quality go through different paths.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
Spoonman
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
As movies fan you might know that money and quality go through different paths.
I would like to know were I stated that I didn't know such thing, the poster you repsonded to didn't seem to imply that BF was of higher quality than BR, just that BF seemed to be more acepted by the GA than BR. How much money T2 made bears little significance as this is about the Batman franchise.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 PM   #22
Bruce_Wayne29
Side-Kick

Yeah but Batman Returns made much more money on tv, vhs & dvd rentals & buys, and now it's also turning a good profit in blu-ray, so in the end BR ended making much more money for the studio.

Bruce_Wayne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #23
theman
Banned User

lol this thread went in a totally different direction from where it started. yeah i dont know what transformers has got to do with batman forever. i cant stand those movies with shia ledouche.

anyway, haveing rewatched the franchise, i can see why Forever did well back in the day. Returns may be the better film obviously since it has alot more darkness and depth, but Forever was defiently a fun movie and honestly, i miss the days of the exicting OTT batman film. there were REAL batmobile, not some tank thing, gotham city was a character in itself, and the villians were fun and interesting. nowadays everything is so serious, i guess to fit in with these post-9/11 "dangerous" times? i still think they have gone way too serious with batman. they should at least get back to the balance that tim burton had, that mixture of crazy action, comic book stunts, dark world and dangerous yet humouress villians.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:52 AM   #24
theman
Banned User

Quote:
^Actually, the whole "driving up the wall" thing (for a few seconds as you just said, no less) I didn't know it was such a big deal before the Internet. I agree is not fair to single out Forever.
thankfully someone has some sense around here. alot of internet nerds seem to have this very self righteous attitude, i dont get it. that scene was boss, and was a hell of a lot cooler looking then driving on roofs.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:02 AM   #25
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I would like to know were I stated that I didn't know such thing,
You didn't, that's why I wasn't replying to you.

Quote:
the poster you repsonded to didn't seem to imply that BF was of higher quality than BR, just that BF seemed to be more acepted by the GA than BR.
If that's true then we agree. Great.