The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 06-08-2011, 07:38 PM   #51
Heretic
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official JANUARY JONES/Emma Frost Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
She can't access her telepathy in diamond form so she needed to be in human form to keep Xavier blocked.. there :P
Actually, she states in the movie that Xavier can't get to her while she's in diamond form. Turning to diamond would have protected her from Xavier, and the fire and debris. There is no other moment in the film where her diamond would have come in more handy, and she didnt use it.

They could have eliminated the diamond form altogether and saved the 4 dollars they spent on making that effect look so awesome.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:43 PM   #52
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic View Post
Actually, she states in the movie that Xavier can't get to her while she's in diamond form. Turning to diamond would have protected her from Xavier, and the fire and debris. There is no other moment in the film where her diamond would have come in more handy, and she didnt use it.

They could have eliminated the diamond form altogether and saved the 4 dollars they spent on making that effect look so awesome.
Yeah but if she shifted into diamond form, her block on Xavier would not have held anymore. She needs to be in human form to keep her telepathy active.

psyonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #53
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Angry much lol. Her diamond form and use of it were fine. Yeah she could have used it on the yacht, but it really didn't matter.

As for the pressure crushing her neck or pressing her diamond parts against themselves causing pain, totally plausible.

Xbox- XKdaAssassin (me and my son's...so be mindful of language used. Thanks!)
Midnight Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 07:48 PM   #54
Heretic
Side-Kick

So, she said the diamond blocks him...but diamond makes her vulnerable to him??? There's even a scene where it shows Xavier trying to read her, but the diamonds mentally block him from continuing...

Now I'm lost. Given her words, and the visuals when Xavier tried...it seems like the diamond is protecting her from him.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #55
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
So, she said the diamond blocks him...but diamond makes her vulnerable to him??? There's even a scene where it shows Xavier trying to read her, but the diamonds mentally block him from continuing...

Now I'm lost. Given her words, and the visuals when Xavier tried...it seems like the diamond is protecting her from him.
She can use her abilities to block him when in human form, but she can't in diamond form. However, in her diamond form he can't read Her because of the diamonds.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:54 PM   #56
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:

On the yacht, Emma was using telepathy to block Xavier so he couldn't locate them, being the Hellfire Club. If she shifted into diamond form her telepathic block would be inaccessible and therefore Xavier would be able to locate them (especially Shaw since Xavier had his location before Emma blocked him). But you're right as well, Emma's diamond shuts her telepathy down and therefore her mind cannot be exploited by telepathy.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 PM   #57
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoldier985 View Post
Is it wrong that I read that in an accent?
Depends which accent...

Old 06-08-2011, 08:25 PM   #58
Heretic
Side-Kick

She is in diamond form, and Xavier cant read her...which is why Magneto has to choke her out until she drops the diamond form...I'm just not seeing how she is vulnerable to Xavier in diamond form when it repeatedly shows and openly says that she is not.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:30 PM   #59
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Black View Post
She can use her abilities to block him when in human form, but she can't in diamond form. However, in her diamond form he can't read Her because of the diamonds.
I couldn't read her in either form. Maybe she has mad skills or just bad acting.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #60
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
She is in diamond form, and Xavier cant read her...which is why Magneto has to choke her out until she drops the diamond form...I'm just not seeing how she is vulnerable to Xavier in diamond form when it repeatedly shows and openly says that she is not.
In diamond form she can't use telepathy, which she needed to keep up her block (hiding herself and the Hellfire Club) on the yacht. If she went into her diamond form, Xavier would have located them because he would have sense Sebastian Shaw.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #61
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggyman View Post
I couldn't read her in either form. Maybe she has mad skills or just bad acting.
....classic Eggy.

Quote:
Where does it say this in the movie. In the movie it says that her diamond form does shield her or at least it hints at it. Maybe in the comics and cartoon she vulnerable but not in the movie.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #62
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyonic View Post
In diamond form she can't use telepathy, which she needed to keep up her block (hiding herself and the Hellfire Club) on the yacht. If she went into her diamond form, Xavier would have located them because he would have sense Sebastian Shaw.
Where is that explained in the movie?

Old 06-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #63
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
Where is that explained in the movie?
What do you mean? They only found Shaw was because Xavier had located him through telepathy. Once Emma sensed another telepath, she immediately blocked Xavier out which is why Xavier tells The Man in Black that he is no longer able to help them. I'm referencing the comics when she is in her diamond form, Emma can't use telepathy therefore her block would have disappeared allowing Charles being able to sense Shaw. This is probably why she didn't shift into diamond form in order to keep her mental block up.

Diamond Emma = No telepathy
Human Emma = Keeping mental blocks up keeping Xavier from sensing them

Old 06-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #64
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

Funny how this has taken at least 9 posts to explain. It's not that hard to figure out lol. Thank you Psyonic, hopefully he gets it now.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #65
Heretic
Side-Kick

They found Shaw because Emma was not trying to block him. Then she tried and blocked him.

The rest of your argument hinges on what happens in the comic book, and therefore is meaningless to what happens in the movie...

The point is that this "I can only use one of my powers at a time" thing is not mentioned at all in the movie, so the average viewer would not have any reason to think that way.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #66
psyonic
X-Man

Quote:
They found Shaw because Emma was not trying to block him. Then she tried and blocked him.

The rest of your argument hinges on what happens in the comic book, and therefore is meaningless to what happens in the movie...

The point is that this "I can only use one of my powers at a time" thing is not mentioned at all in the movie, so the average viewer would not have any reason to think that way.
Well, now you know .. spread the word

Old 06-08-2011, 09:55 PM   #67
Heretic
Side-Kick

No thanks. A movie should stand on it's own. This movie stands on it's own quite well. The limits of her powers simply are not mentioned in the movie, and therefore are either poorly communicated, or (what I think) are just worked around so that comic nerds will notice something deeper than the rest of the movie goers. But for all intents and purposes, the limits do not "exist" in the movie world because there is no way for a viewer to know about it unless they read the X books after she developed that power. It's like if they briefly showed a girl in a yellow coat...comic fans may KNOW FOR A FACT that it is Jubilee walking by...but for the average movie goer...no, Jubilee was not in the film. It was just some chick in a yellow coat.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:16 PM   #68
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Sometimes you've gotta just pause and think a little. It's not too hard and it's ok if you have to back pedal a little on your opinions of the film.

The movie can't always spell out every little thing to you.

SuperSoldier985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #69
Heretic
Side-Kick

Actually...I reject that.

If a movie does not explain something AT ALL then it is not the average movie goers fault for not realizing that it is there. No matter how much a person thinks, if the movie didn't show it, the movie didnt show it. Saying "oh, in issue number 154 of the comic book it clearly explains blah blah blah..." well...so what? You haven't actually shown anything about the movie whatsoever.

Besides...if we are using the comic book as reference and telling people that in order to understand, they have to read the comic and then think a little...well...I've read many of the X-Men comics...and these movies now make no sense to me whatsoever since they contradict the comic over and over and over again.

So...if the moves and comics are two different worlds...then...the movie did not explain to the non comic reader whether or not Emma can use both powers at once. It never came up. Super Nerds may get off on proclaiming that she cant, but the average movie goer has seen no evidence thus far.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:53 PM   #70
Midnight Black
Defender of the Universe

I think it is pretty much stated what she can and can't do in human and diamond form in two scenes. The boat scene and the bedroom scene. Go back and look. I think even the youngest and oldest of movie goers understand the limits of her powers.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:08 AM   #71
Heretic
Side-Kick

lets examine her scenes...

1. She uses her powers to talk to the colonel. Then, for absolutely no reason whatsoever, she turns to diamond. While in diamond form she does some sort of "super whistle" that he can hear from far away. This is making it clear that she can use her super whistle power at the same time she is in diamond form.

2. She reads the colonels mind.

3. She uses her powers to incapacitate Magneto. While still under attack, he throws a knife, so she switches to diamond form and catches the knife.

However, she did catch the knife being thrown...so this is an instance where her diamond form came in handy.

She then notices Charles and uses her powers to block him.

Magneto uses his powers to destroy the boat. At this point Xavier is no longer trying to get past Emma, and Emma just runs through the fire and flying debris without using her diamond form. She no longer needed her psychic powers, and as a psychic, would know this. She simply chose to put her life in danger by not turning to diamond.

I will point out that NO mention was made that she could not use both powers at the same time here. She didn't HAVE to use both powers in this scene, but she chose not to.

4. Tries to read Shaw's mind, but the helmet blocked her. Then uses diamond finger to cut some ice for his drink.

5. She uses her powers to make the Russian think they are making out. She turns to diamond and prevents Charles from reading her mind...for some unknown reason explaining to him her powers and how to get around them. She practically lets herself be captured by them, and then gets choked out by the brass. She loses her diamond form from the choking, and Charles is able to read her mind. There is NO mention in the scene of her not being able to use her psychic powers and diamond form at the same time. She seems to not care at all about escaping or that she's been captured. She doesn't even try to mentally resist him, even though she succeeded in doing so earlier.

I haven't finished the film yet...but seriously...there is NO mention that she is unable to use two powers at once...a

Last edited by Heretic; 06-09-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Edited for accuracy as I was wrong on one point.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #72
JP
Smelly

She KICKS Magneto off the boat.. Emma Frost does not have telekinetic powers. Jean Grey does.

She is telepathic, and has a diamond form. And she can't use her telepathy while in her diamond form, and doesn't in the film. . .

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #73
Heretic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
She KICKS Magneto off the boat.. Emma Frost does not have telekinetic powers. Jean Grey does.

She is telepathic, and has a diamond form. And she can't use her telepathy while in her diamond form, and doesn't in the film. . .
Oh yeah...it looked a bit like she made a kicking motion, and used jedi push power to knock him off the boat.

However...my point stands...at NO point does it even remotely claim that she cant use two powers at once, and counting the whistle...she does.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #74
JP
Smelly

What was the whistle? Was it even a power? That's not really a power. At least not a telepathic one.. if anything its an effect of blowing air through diamond. Maybe when she's in her diamond form she can whistle louder.

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 AM   #75
Heretic
Side-Kick

The argument people are making is that it is OBVIOUS in the movie that she cant use her psychic abilities and diamond form at the same time. The truth is that it is NEVER even remotely explained in the movie...and the only way a movie goer would even think that is if they read the comics.

The bedroom scene is stupid...she has used her psychic powers and blocked Charles before...but this time simply CHOSE NOT TO USE THEM. She didnt use them in diamond form, and didnt use them after she lost diamond form. She simply FORGOT that she could block him.

Had she not used diamond form at all...Magneto could have choked her out and then Charles could have read her unconscious mind.