The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #101
peterparker0077
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Eyed Earl View Post
On the other hand, in a movie about superheroes, you need to hold true to them sometimes so when the actual superheroes break them, it seems that much more amazing.

That's also why I hate her shooting one-handed- I know that's the norm in movies, but when we see Cap doing the same thing it doesn't seem that big a deal when anyone who's ever fired a pistol can say you never shoot with one hand.

Besides, there's no reason to throw out logic just because this is a comic book movie- shooting a gun at someone who is not expecting it is retarded any way you slice it.
I shoot my 45 one handed all the time. And I believe she's using a 9mm, and a heavy military issued 9mm, easy to shoot one handed. ... I'll have to go back and look at the gun closer though. Either way, that doesn't bother me at all.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #102
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer
 
Quasimod0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 9,043
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

even when i was a kid they taught us how to shoot one handed just in case

__________________
Movies I have seen this year:
Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM   #103
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,214
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

If it's a vibranium shield(and she knows this) then there ain't gonna be ricochet's. The bullets would simply lose all their momentum and drop to the ground. She is definitely shooting at the shield rather than Steve. Seems very much like what she's doing is telling Steve and the other officer there "Hey, I know this is 1943 and I'm a woman and this is the military and all that but I will not be patronized" in a manner that doesn't require much obvious dialogue for them to get the point.

__________________
MCU - $7 billion and counting. Next up: kicking Harry Potter's butt.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 PM   #104
peterparker0077
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
If it's a vibranium shield(and she knows this) then there ain't gonna be ricochet's. The bullets would simply lose all their momentum and drop to the ground. She is definitely shooting at the shield rather than Steve. Seems very much like what she's doing is telling Steve and the other officer there "Hey, I know this is 1943 and I'm a woman and this is the military and all that but I will not be patronized" in a manner that doesn't require much obvious dialogue for them to get the point.
lol, it's silly to talk about physics in comic movies, but it's funny to think about... if this is the case about the bullets not ricocheting... then people wouldn't bounced off or be knocked back when they're bashed by the shield. They would just loose their momentum and fall down.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #105
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,214
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterparker0077 View Post
lol, it's silly to talk about physics in comic movies, but it's funny to think about... if this is the case about the bullets not ricocheting... then people wouldn't bounced off or be knocked back when they're bashed by the shield. They would just loose their momentum and fall down.
Well when he hits someone with the shield I think it's the shield's own momentum that sends them boucing off of it. And a human body reacts differently than a small piece of metal. Maybe it doesn't lose ALL momentum but the shield absorbs like 99.99% of it so that when the bullets DO bounce off, they're not traveling at any speed that would be potentially lethal.

And there at least needs to be some semblance of reality in dealing with the laws of physics and such in a superhero movie. It helps the audience let go and take the film as it is when the filmmakers are careful to take into account. Completely disregarding the laws of physics in a superhero movie is the domain of such crappy films as the Joel Schumaker Batman movies and the last 2 of the old Superman movies(like Supes cape flapping in space as if their's an atmosphere up there).

Sure, these ARE fantasy superhero films but that's no excuse for being a lazy filmmaker.

__________________
MCU - $7 billion and counting. Next up: kicking Harry Potter's butt.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #106
peterparker0077
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
Well when he hits someone with the shield I think it's the shield's own momentum that sends them boucing off of it. And a human body reacts differently than a small piece of metal. Maybe it doesn't lose ALL momentum but the shield absorbs like 99.99% of it so that when the bullets DO bounce off, they're not traveling at any speed that would be potentially lethal.
Physics, if the shield absorbs momentum, or 99% of momentum, bodies would not bounce off, even if the shield was moving itself, but the bodies would stick to the shield, then fall. It would just look really funny, lol.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM   #107
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!
 
kedrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,214
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

I would think the effect would be more noticable the more energy an object that collided with it had. People hitting it have far less kinetic energy than a bullet does, proportionately speaking. And again, this is pseudo science. It doesn't have to actually work so long as the explaination is sufficient to get the audience to stop questioning it and just go with it. 99.999% of the people watching these movies WILL NOT be scientists, engineers or such that would easily see through the pseudo science.

__________________
MCU - $7 billion and counting. Next up: kicking Harry Potter's butt.
kedrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #108
Carlo Comicus
Side-Kick
 
Carlo Comicus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bologna (Italy)
Posts: 1,801
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
Hayley at the MET Costume Institute Gala, May 2


__________________
"Frank Carter", my adventure comic strip, in english version:

http://www.shockdom.com/webcomics/frankcarter/
Carlo Comicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:09 PM   #109
Eddie Dean
I Am Not Nice
 
Eddie Dean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Pangaea
Posts: 6,484
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.




__________________
Jesse Eisenberg Forever
Eddie Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 PM   #110
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !
 
WildcatNC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lexington, NC
Posts: 3,077
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
Hayley at the MET Costume Institute Gala, May 2


Mm, that body.

__________________
Bi-Winning since 1978
WildcatNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #111
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,424
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Wee, a tsundere female lead. I've never seen that before.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:37 AM   #112
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,268
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Dean View Post


I can see Chris Evan's jaw dropped in that scene. Heck, I would've too.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #113
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

The great thing about this movie is that we instantly have a female lead that's a strong character and not just a love interest. She will be active on whatever Cap's mission is in the movie. Jane Foster and Carol Ferris in their respective movies can only be so interesting based on what their given. But in this we can easily see from the trailer that Carter can kick Rogers (pre-transformation) a** if she wanted to.

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 AM   #114
JAK®
Upstart
 
JAK®'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 7,363
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
The great thing about this movie is that we instantly have a female lead that's a strong character and not just a love interest. She will be active on whatever Cap's mission is in the movie. Jane Foster and Carol Ferris in their respective movies can only be so interesting based on what their given. But in this we can easily see from the trailer that Carter can kick Rogers (pre-transformation) a** if she wanted to.
That's the only thing I dislike about Jane Foster's character in Thor. Changing her from a nurse into a scientist worked for the films storyline, but as a character it made her weaker. Nurses need a lot of courage for what they do. In Avengers: EMH, that's what attracts Thor to her.

__________________
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
You are now breathing manually.
JAK®



JAK® is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:01 AM   #115
ultimatefan
The Batman must come back
 
ultimatefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Place that makes Gotham look like Kansas - Brazil
Posts: 38,117
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

I like Avengers EMH, where Jane´s a paramedic, that´s a pretty heroic job.

I love it that Hayley not only has a more active role, but she also doesn´t look or sound too girly for her occupation. She doesn´t make you roll eyes like geneticist Jessica Alba, Pulitzer Prize winner and mom Kate Bosworth or DA Katie Holmes.

__________________
AVVY BY KANE 52630

"Sometimes, people deserve more. Sometimes, they deserve to have their faith rewarded." So, thank you for rewarding mine, Mr. Nolan.

This article should be mandatory reading before people argue about movies on the internet:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-common...-always-wrong/.
ultimatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM   #116
peterparker0077
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: tampa, fl
Posts: 1,509
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK® View Post
That's the only thing I dislike about Jane Foster's character in Thor. Changing her from a nurse into a scientist worked for the films storyline, but as a character it made her weaker. Nurses need a lot of courage for what they do. In Avengers: EMH, that's what attracts Thor to her.
Yeah, my girlfriend and I talked about this after watching the movie, and we both watch EMH ... I believe in the originial comics she was also a nurse/paramedic type, right?

We were thinking in the film, have her as a paramedic, and her father's friend as the scientist wouldn't of really changed the story all that much, and would of made the role of Jane much better overall. The way to tie her father's friend to be so close to Jane, is that he would have some medical issue and Jane had to keep watch over him when she wasn't working.

peterparker0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #117
marcvader
Lurker #1
 
marcvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The MIA
Posts: 9,556
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

My girlfriend is going to love this movie especially because of Hayley. She is definitely looking like the best lead actress in a Marvel film yet.

__________________
* * *CAPTAIN AMERICA* * *
******THE WINTER SOLDIER******
__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:36 PM   #118
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,268
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

I do hope if there's a sequel for Cap, that Atwell can return as a love interesting. Probably as the granddaughter of Peggy Carter or something, which I think would work.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #119
MiniBond
Nobody does it better....
 
MiniBond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: In Eva's arms !!!
Posts: 5,229
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Batty View Post
Hayley at the MET Costume Institute Gala, May 2




__________________
"When I'm acting I feel blood in my veins. I prefer cinema to reality." Eva Green
MiniBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:18 PM   #120
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
I do hope if there's a sequel for Cap, that Atwell can return as a love interesting. Probably as the granddaughter of Peggy Carter or something, which I think would work.
I know that in the comics Cap falls for Sharon Carter because of how remarkably similar she is to her Aunt Peggy. But she can't look and be exactly the same could she. If Atwell does play both characters she has to have some distinguishing trait that separates them. I'm not familiar with Cap too much so they're probably is and I just don't know it.

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:00 PM   #121
Scarlettess
and a 1..2..3..4
 
Scarlettess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: a black box away from reality
Posts: 2,667
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
I know that in the comics Cap falls for Sharon Carter because of how remarkably similar she is to her Aunt Peggy. But she can't look and be exactly the same could she. If Atwell does play both characters she has to have some distinguishing trait that separates them. I'm not familiar with Cap too much so they're probably is and I just don't know it.
[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

These are two completely different looks, so in this senario if we have Atwell looking like she is in the left pic, then yes this could possibly work. I'm sure they'd find a way round any other problems, and if they need to, well you've seen what they've done with skinny Steve.

Scarlettess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #122
Punisher_MAX
Ol' Painless
 
Punisher_MAX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Miami 305
Posts: 1,030
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

isnt Sharon blonde?

__________________
"Si vis pacem, para bellum- if you want peace, prepare for war." - Frank Castle
Punisher_MAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #123
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,505
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettess View Post

These are two completely different looks, so in this senario if we have Atwell looking like she is in the left pic, then yes this could possibly work. I'm sure they'd find a way round any other problems, and if they need to, well you've seen what they've done with skinny Steve.
I'm sure having them look different enough would be the easier part especially if they are in different time periods. I was referring more to their character. I don't know the details of Peggy Carter but I was wondering is there something specific that separates her from Sharon?

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #124
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator
 
Vartha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: north west Arkansas
Posts: 27,565
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher_MAX View Post
isnt Sharon blonde?
heh yeah but then, Sue Storm is too. lol

__________________
Responsibility, Duty, Honor these are not
mere virtues to which we must aspire
they're Essential...to every soldier
....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"


Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #125
Silvermoth
Avenger
 
Silvermoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Australia
Posts: 6,547
Default Re: The Official: Hayley Atwell as Peggy Carter Thread.

Peggy looks like she will be my favourite thing in this movie.

__________________
Mutant and proud.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.