The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Wolverine

Old 06-10-2011, 01:58 AM   #626
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: New director ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALP View Post
The idea of remaking X3 is ridiculous and incredibly stupid. You'll confuse 99% of the audience. First Class is a prequel so it can take a lot of liberties. The filmmakers may say it ignores X3 and Wolvie but officially those are films that simply exist, you cannot simply erase them because they are already in the mind of the general audience.

Vaughn and Singer's words mean absolutely nothing when the proof is in the actual films. For example, Hugh Jackman is Wolvie in that abominable Origins movie just as he is Wolvie in all of the X-Men films. Connections like that can't be broken. Doesn't matter how many continuity errors there are, all of these films take place in the same universe. Only way to get past that would be to do like George Lucas, destroy the original masters, allow no one to see them, and then place an edited version of the films into wide release. But that is impossible for X3 and Wolverine.
I agree.

And I think its a big disrespect to the people who created X3 if Bryan Singer and company decided to redo X-Men 3.

It was a bad movie for some but seriously remake it and ignore like it didn't happen?! Just go ahead with X4 and make it a better film.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 PM   #627
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I agree.

And I think its a big disrespect to the people who created X3 if Bryan Singer and company decided to redo X-Men 3.

It was a bad movie for some but seriously remake it and ignore like it didn't happen?! Just go ahead with X4 and make it a better film.
As much as I pine for what X3 could have been, it is unreasonable to think for a second that TLS - the most financially successful film in the series - is going anywhere.

Things may be a bit messy, but as you said: there is nothing stopping Singer/whoever stepping in and making a great X4. There's plenty of options for the future, new stories, new characters...

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:53 PM   #628
Project862006
Banned User

James Mangold(Walk The Line,3:10 To Yuma) To Direct Wolverine
Quote:

EXCLUSIVE
: James Mangold is 20th Century Fox's and star Hugh Jackman's choice to direct The Wolverine, ending one of the most competitive contests for a major studio film. Negotiations are about to get underway, but I'm told that Mangold will take the helming job on the sequel to the X-Men spinoff film, a post that became vacant when Darren Aronofsky dropped out of the film in March. I'd heard that Mangold was on a very short list coming into this week, along with Warrior director Gavin O'Connor and Brooklyn's Finest helmer Antoine Fuqua.

I've heard that Fox will look to start principal photography in the fall. Scripted by Christopher McQuarrie, The Wolverine takes place mostly in Japan. Mangold most recently directed the Tom Cruise-Cameron Diaz starrer Knight and Day for Fox, and before that 3:10 to Yuma and Walk the Line. Mangold's repped by WME and Management 360.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/jame...the-wolverine/

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #629
narrows101
Side-Kick

Mangold directed Hugh in Kate & Leopold. Hugh has been saying recently that they hope to film in October.

narrows101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #630
Hunter Rider
Ronin

I like Mangold, I enjoyed Identity, Knight & Day and Copland and loved 3:10 To Yuma.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Hunter Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:07 PM   #631
JP
Smelly

Good choice. Though I'd rather Hugh do the Les Miz film than this.. Haha.

JP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:15 PM   #632
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Good choice. Though I'd rather Hugh do the Les Miz film than this.. Haha.
Me too!!! My favorite damn musical. If the Wolverine sequel means he can't do the Les Miz movie, you're going to find me out on a ledge somewhere...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:27 PM   #633
JP
Smelly

Hope he can do both. THR and Variety say he's in talks for Les Miz. Deadline says there isn't even an offer.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #634
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Yeah, it looks like Variety jumped on the whole "talks" thing. And suddenly the director annoucement comes out on the heels of that, which sounds like they're trying to keep him as Wolverine and out of Les Miz.

Les Miz is massive, I haven't heard any other casting rumors other than the Paul Bettany rumor that I heard tonight. How close could that be to starting?

Old 06-15-2011, 10:45 PM   #635
JP
Smelly

I donno, but it would really seem like they'd be filming at the same time. Fox is determined about starting Wolverine in the Fall. Musicals are just as hard to make as big FX driven films. So, Les Miz would be looking at this Fall the earliest to shoot. Very long and extensive pre-productions (however, they tend to have very short post work). I also imagine Universal wants to get it out by Winter 2012 to meet the awards season deadline.

Tom Hooper was announced as the Director months ago, so who really knows how far along they are.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:00 PM   #636
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Deadline said they're looking to start Les Miz "by the end of the year, somewhere in Europe." Which hopefully means Wolverine can get started (supposed to be October) before Les Miz starts.

I swear, if they keep him out of this because of another freakin' Wolverine movie...

Old 06-15-2011, 11:02 PM   #637
JP
Smelly

After Fox's handling of First Class, and the way they appear to be handling this film... I do want Jackman to do it. I think it has the potential to bring the character back to the way he was in X1/2.

BUT IT'S LES ****ING MIZ. And Jackman's just too perfect for Valjean.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 PM   #638
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Exactly! I feel like he's had to turn down a ton of stuff because of X-Men movies over the past few years...and if it's LES MIZ this time...that's just so wrong.

I was looking up stuff on the Les Miz movie. There's not much. Hooper signed on about three months ago. There's no official casting yet (it doesn't even have an IMDB page), the only confirmed thing I've read so far is the Bettany screentest for Javert (Bettany? seriously?).

They were even asking Alfie Boe if he was going to do the movie when he leaves the London production at the end of November (love him, but that's never gonna happen), and he had no idea what was going on either.

C'mon Hugh....make it work somehow!!!!

Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #639
Superhero 101
DESI

Wait so is it confirmed that Mangold is the Director or just speculation?

Old 06-16-2011, 01:19 AM   #640
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Just cancel the Wolverine and move on with X-Men 4.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 06-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #641
Nightmare
"Kill Them All"

ok, i like this I think. It has some potential. Not sure if i wanna see a movie ALL about wolverine in japan though. Im all wolverine'd out.

Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:44 AM   #642
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

I have mixed feelings about this. Aronofsky was such an interesting talent behind the film, it's hard to get over that loss. I would love to love this, hope Mangold really buys into the character and delivers on this (apparently great) script.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #643
merbass
Side-Kick

Are they trying to push this put by summer next year ? Then at least we can have XSC in 2013, cos Sir Ian is unavailable for the next 2 years. May be X4 and X5 in 14 and 15 !

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:52 AM   #644
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Shoot the movie now so there's a new X-Men movie again next year!

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 06-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #645
Assassin32
King James Version

If it's Mangold, I won't complain. I'm a big fan of Cop Land. But, still, anyone is going to sound disappointing after losing Aronofsky.

Assassin32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #646
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

wait so let me get this straight aranofsky had to ditch wolverine why again?...for personal reasons?

..yet he just jumped on board some stupid Noahs Ark movie saying "i want to make a big event film"

lol he couldnt even wait a couple more months to legitamize his epic lie

Old 06-20-2011, 02:10 PM   #647
Crockett
With Teeth

The thing is, Aronofsky had wanted to do a Noah's Ark movie for a long time, and since the project is passionate to him I guess coming off the success of Black Swan, instead of spending nearly a year shooting in Japan for the new Wolverine movie he wanted to give the project a go.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #648
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I really think after the success of Black Swan he deceded he didn't want to jump on a franchise film and Instead wanted to do films he really wanted to do.He probally agreed to do The Wolverine originally because of the money and to work with Hugh jackmana gain but once Black Swan was a success he didn't want to do It anymore.

marvelrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:55 AM   #649
narrows101
Side-Kick

It was just reported that Aronofsky's ex, Rachel Weisz, just got married to Daniel Craig.

Aronofsky had been living with Weisz for ages (they were together when Darren directed Hugh and Rachel in "The Fountain" in 2005) - they have a son who I think is 4. Craig had been going with someone for a long time too - I believe they both moved to NYC when Daniel was doing "A Steady Rain" on Broadway with Hugh in 2009. Daniel and Rachel met on the set of "Dream House" last year and Aronofsky and Weisz broke up around that time.

Maybe this is the "personal issues" that's referred to when Aronofsky pulled out of directing since a child is involved who now has a new stepfather and the reason why Darren didn't want to be in Japan for so long.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b249...e_knot_in.html

Last edited by narrows101; 06-26-2011 at 06:59 AM.
narrows101 is offline   Reply With Quote