The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 06-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #426
McLovin'

Default Re: Worries About the Snyder reboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime View Post
What are your "profit" numbers based off?
Though math was never my strong suit, I pulled information from Box Office Mojo. I subtracted the budget from the gross and came up with an estimated profit.

McLovin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #427
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
Though math was never my strong suit, I pulled information from Box Office Mojo. I subtracted the budget from the gross and came up with an estimated profit.
That is not how you calculate profit. You have to understand that studios only get half of the ticket sales. Also in foreign countries they can collect much less than half. DVD/blu-ray sales help balance it out but a film like SR didn't actually make any profit in the theater. Kick-Ass broke even I think at the box office though it did really well on DVD. SR I'm not sure about but I think it eventually ended in the black.

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:20 PM   #428
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin' View Post
Two points today:
1.For argument's sake:
Wanted= Total gross ($134,508,551 U.S. and $206,924,701 Int'l) - budget (~75 mil) = ~266,433,252

Kick-Ass= Total gross ($48,071,303 U.S. and $47,960,570 Int'l) - budget (~30 mil) = ~66,031,873 profit

Superman Returns= Total gross ( $200,081,192 U.S. and $191,000,000 Int'l) - budget (~270 mil) = ~121,081,192 profit
Real numbers:

Superman Returns:

$391 Mil x 0.55= $215 Million

Or, the studio wound up 58 million dollars in the hole. It made $81 Million in dvd sales in the states alone, and I imagine close to double that worldwide, so eventually it made a profit.

But it's not like it made any profit in the movies.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #429
SuperAl
Superman's back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
Real numbers:

Superman Returns:

$391 Mil x 0.55= $215 Million

Or, the studio wound up 58 million dollars in the hole. It made $81 Million in dvd sales in the states alone, and I imagine close to double that worldwide, so eventually it made a profit.

But it's not like it made any profit in the movies.
huh??? where are you coming up with "$391 Mil x 0.55= $215 Million"? Explain please? Your cutting domestic+foreign in half for some reason i dont get it.

And Mark Millar is a moron, the guy just steals ideas from DC and puts his spin on them. Nemisis (evil batman), Superior (his version of captain marvel) So to him DC movies dont work but his copy cat versions do?? ya okay

SuperAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #430
merced
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAl View Post
huh??? where are you coming up with "$391 Mil x 0.55= $215 Million"? Explain please? Your cutting domestic+foreign in half for some reason i dont get it.

And Mark Millar is a moron, the guy just steals ideas from DC and puts his spin on them. Nemisis (evil batman), Superior (his version of captain marvel) So to him DC movies dont work but his copy cat versions do?? ya okay
Quite simple.

The studio doesn't get 100% of the BO revenue. Distribution and theatre owners get a portion.

The studios get more than half - I've heard 55% to 65%. Don't know the exact numbers but indeed the formula is valid.

WB did not recoup it's SR costs from the BO. Only after DVD sales and such are added in did they make a small profit. I believe this was alluded to in the trial. That WB and Legendary didn't do much better than break even with SR.

And don't forget besides the 209 million to make the film WB spent another 75 million or so on marketing.

Basically a minimal profit for a huge investment.

It's why WB wasn't planning on doing another Superman film until the Court ordered them to have one out by 2012. Or face stiff penalties as in potentially 10s of millions.

merced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #431
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

No one has a clue as to how much they made or didn't make on Superman Returns. Even if financial statements were turned over in court, the financial statements can be essentially meaningless due to accounting "tricks". Any guesses are just that, guesses.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #432
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
No one has a clue as to how much they made or didn't make on Superman Returns. Even if financial statements were turned over in court, the financial statements can be essentially meaningless due to accounting "tricks". Any guesses are just that, guesses.
Box office revenue aren't guesses. You can easily make estimates to see whether they made a profit or not. Actually based on box office and their budget, it would of been impossible for them to make a profit on that alone. The only question is whether they made it into the black after DVD sales.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #433
merced
Banned User

Quote:
The formula is real.

Even taking the higher 65% revenue for WB they still lost money on SR based solely on the WW box.

And DVD sales are fallin and less of a cushion today than in 2006. MOS can't rely on DVD sales to make it profitable.

It will be all about the WW BO with MOS. That will make or break it, that will tag it a failure - or not.

merced is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #434
ElDuderino
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodust View Post
Box office revenue aren't guesses. You can easily make estimates to see whether they made a profit or not. Actually based on box office and their budget, it would of been impossible for them to make a profit on that alone. The only question is whether they made it into the black after DVD sales.
Total revenue is just one variable. And it's the only known variable. The rest are just guesses.

ElDuderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:55 AM   #435
CrazyDavey
Side-Kick

Only thing i'm disappointed in so far is the fact we're getting a villain we've already seen...

Other then that, I have no doubt in my mind, this will be a great film. Matthew Vaughn/Bryan Singer made a great X-Men film, the Zack Snyder/Christopher Nolan collaboration should be no problem.

Then again, I could be eating my words when the film finally comes out! >_<

CrazyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:21 PM   #436
Astrodust
Side-Kick

Quote:
Total revenue is just one variable. And it's the only known variable. The rest are just guesses.
It's the main variable and my above statement still holds true. There are movies that have obviously made lots of money and there are movies that have obviously failed. Then there are movies that may or may not have made money. SR falls under the last category. And I'm taking DVD and TV rights into account.