The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Old 06-29-2011, 04:15 AM   #1
Krimasen
Avenger 0

Default Confused about Megatron's plan

(Critical spoiler follows): I'm confused as to what Megatron's plan was exactly. He says in this movie that he was heading to Earth to meet with a defecting Sentinel Prime who had the tech to resurrect Cybertron. However, it was established in the first movie and official tie-in stuff that Megatron went to Earth in search of the Cube. If he already knew about the tech Sentinel Prime was bringing, why did he need the cube? And I'm similarly confused about how The Fallen fits into Megatron's schemes with Sentinel Prime.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:33 AM   #2
xwolverine2
Arkham Assassin

Default Re: Confused about Megatron's plan

ask michael bay.... only he knows...hopefully

Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Hazelnut624
Side-Kick

Dude, It's Michael Bay, he has no idea what he's doing. He's just doing it.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
OoAnd1
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimasen View Post
(Critical spoiler follows): I'm confused as to what Megatron's plan was exactly. He says in this movie that he was heading to Earth to meet with a defecting Sentinel Prime who had the tech to resurrect Cybertron. However, it was established in the first movie and official tie-in stuff that Megatron went to Earth in search of the Cube. If he already knew about the tech Sentinel Prime was bringing, why did he need the cube? And I'm similarly confused about how The Fallen fits into Megatron's schemes with Sentinel Prime.
Okay, without a timeline...

He needed the Cube to find the Matrix.

He needed the Matrix to work the sun-killer device AND then revive Sentinel.

And he needed Sentinel to work the portal devices.

Goal was crazy amount of energy and the ability to transport his planet in order to revive it.

OoAnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OoAnd1 View Post

Goal was crazy amount of energy and the ability to transport his planet in order to revive it.
Yea, it's cool how he ends up playing into the plans of bigger stronger robots every now and again. It's part of his character ark and it's brought to a logical conclusion.

I love the second two comments in this thread. Classic.
If people took half the time to figure things out as they did during (the convoluted) inception...they end up being as guilty of laziness as they accuse the filmmakers themselves.
But it's all fun, especially when people join in and it becomes internet meming to the 3rd degree.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
The-HYPE
Side-Kick

Quote:

He needed the sun kille device to power the new born decepitcons so that he can dominate the autobots and revive sentinel.

The-HYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Marvin
Side-Kick

forget megatron, what the hell was Michael Bay's plan?
had to

Old 06-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
forget megatron, what the hell was Michael Bay's plan?
$$$$$$$

Self-contained stories part of a larger story is where its at. Not this writing for the trade nonsense. If you're going to write for the trade, don't release it in individual issues. Just release the trade.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
chaseter
Bland User

Can Megatron not make two plans because he is a fiend and a double crosser? Does that stump people when we see a character making more than one plan???

Quote:

Or that makes sense.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Longshot777
Side-Kick

Megatron's plan was to go find the All-Spark to revive his army....That's it!!

It ends in TF 1.

Parts 2 and 3 are all non sense. Worst writing ever.

Longshot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
webhead731
I'm a photographer

Ever, huh?

webhead731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 PM   #12
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
$$$$$$$
Plan successful.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 AM   #13
Godman
Banned User

Quote:

but since the sun is the most powerful thing in this galaxy wouldnt he have rather wanted to harness it's power? they never explained why the sun needed to be destroyed to begin with

Godman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #14
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot777 View Post
Megatron's plan was to go find the All-Spark to revive his army....That's it!!

It ends in TF 1.

Parts 2 and 3 are all non sense. Worst writing ever.
Amen to that. WORST EVER!!!!!

Old 06-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #15
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
Yea, it's cool how he ends up playing into the plans of bigger stronger robots every now and again. It's part of his character ark and it's brought to a logical conclusion.

I love the second two comments in this thread. Classic.
If people took half the time to figure things out as they did during (the convoluted) inception...they end up being as guilty of laziness as they accuse the filmmakers themselves.
But it's all fun, especially when people join in and it becomes internet meming to the 3rd degree.
yea we should have seen megatron become galvatron in secret until the finale he arrives and gives the autobots the fight of their life to where the last two standing, not that the others are dead, but optimus and bumble bee and they both go at ot with galvatron and defeat him out of team work...just something better than anything we got where optimus doesnt dish out one order to his soldiers rather than his suggestions. why is he the leader again? cause he's the biggest?

Old 06-30-2011, 12:33 AM   #16
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godman View Post
but since the sun is the most powerful thing in this galaxy wouldnt he have rather wanted to harness it's power? they never explained why the sun needed to be destroyed to begin with
They needed to destroy the sun to make energon in its rawest & most powerful form.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:39 AM   #17
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I think the question is answered rather easily (if not satisfyingly) by making the fair assumption that the writers just kept pulling villains out of their asses.

It's clear the Fallen didn't exist before the second movie. It's also rather strange that no one mentioned Transformers being found in the 1960's in the first two movies. You would think that would have come up at some point. They didn't plan anything out for the franchise. It's just bad writing.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:51 AM   #18
chaseter
Bland User

Uh they didn't make the first movie with plans to do 3.

That's like saying TDK sucked because Batman never ran into Joker in Batman Begins even though he was in the city.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 AM   #19
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Uh they didn't make the first movie with plans to do 3.

That's like saying TDK sucked because Batman never ran into Joker in Batman Begins even though he was in the city.
They should have. When you start a movie, especially one that you know is going to be a franchise, you need to set these things up. Batman Begins set up the Joker. It felt a bit rushed, but at least they did it.

Also that's not a fair analogy. It would be more like Ra's Al Gul's previously unmentioned boss showing up in TDK, not a new, unrelated character.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:59 AM   #20
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I think the question is answered rather easily (if not satisfyingly) by making the fair assumption that the writers just kept pulling villains out of their asses.

It's clear the Fallen didn't exist before the second movie. It's also rather strange that no one mentioned Transformers being found in the 1960's in the first two movies. You would think that would have come up at some point. They didn't plan anything out for the franchise. It's just bad writing.
Sector 7 & the U.S. Government were keeping secrets from each other for decades.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:13 AM   #21
jnmx2000
Side-Kick

Quote:

Actually the Fallen was a major Transformer character in the world of transformers, he never appeared in the show but he was a big part of the comics that explains their history and he is one of the original 12 transformers and the very first decepticon. I'm not sure if sentinal prime was ever in the show but he too was a big part of the comics and lure of transformers.

jnmx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #22
Ratcrawler
Side-Kick

Weird question; How did Sentinel Prime know English right after coming back from the dead?

Green Goblin: Yeah. He told me you're gay.

MARVEL/DC: HAPPY HOUR
Ratcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #23
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmx2000 View Post
Actually the Fallen was a major Transformer character in the world of transformers, he never appeared in the show but he was a big part of the comics that explains their history and he is one of the original 12 transformers and the very first decepticon. I'm not sure if sentinal prime was ever in the show but he too was a big part of the comics and lure of transformers.
I'm aware of the Fallen's comic origins. Though, the continuities are different. And the Decepticon backstory changes. But in the first movie, there was never any allusion to Megatron having a boss. Or any prophecy about killing the last prime.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #24
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratcrawler View Post
Weird question; How did Sentinel Prime know English right after coming back from the dead?
I haven't seen the movie but assuming from the teaser trailer, wasn't Sentinel Prime still alive when the astronauts were aboard the Ark so he must have heard them communicating with each other & during their radio communication with Nasa.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 AM   #25
jnmx2000
Side-Kick

Quote:
I'm aware of the Fallen's comic origins. Though, the continuities are different. And the Decepticon backstory changes. But in the first movie, there was never any allusion to Megatron having a boss. Or any prophecy about killing the last prime.
yea, after rereading what you said I thought thats what you actually meant, but the way I look at it, each movie is its own self contained story, with no real purpose of connecting these films as a trilogy, each film was made on it's own terms without worrying about what happened in the previous film. Bay mentioned this after they made the first one where he said he didn't want to make a trilogy but rather make three separate "episodes" that stand on their own instead of having to rely on seeing the one that came before it. so the writing here doesn't indicate what we have is a "trilogy" but rather three separate episodes that we can choose to watch. We just get faint nudges at what happened before, but nothing really more beyond that.

jnmx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote