The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #51
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!
 
Rock Sexton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Somewhere in the Southwest
Posts: 8,801
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I hope this clears thing up for you, but then again, I'm just a Transformers fan, and you know, you really shouldn't expect much from us.
I guess not.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #52
SuperFerret
Class Act
 
SuperFerret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: SuperFerret's Shoebox of Solitude
Posts: 33,565
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode29 View Post
You should really check out the chud.com message boards. They're genuinely interested in actual film criticism and analysis. They'll happily, and insightfully, discuss themes, messages and auteur theory. Unfortunately, as I learned years ago, there's a sad absence of openness to ideas around here. Hence, why I post so irregularly.
I and many others will also happily discuss the use of storytelling tools in movies, but there's a time and a place (and a topic) for those things.

You want to discuss themes and messages and analyze a film, go ahead, but pick a film that encourages that sort of thing. Transformers isn't and shouldn't be that sort of thing.

Also, keep your film critic elite attitude to yourself pal. Like it or not, people actually do go to movies for the entertainment value, and judging them on that because they don't follow your ideas only casts light on yourself.

__________________
Faster than a speeding hamster.
-----More powerful than a box of tissues.
----------Able to leap off of tall buildings and hit the ground.
SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:40 PM   #53
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill
 
bell110's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,024
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
I didn't see a topic of this nature on this board, so I thought I'd start one.

I for one am both fascinated and perplexed by the sort of twisted hate and misogyny that these movies perpetuate. I find it hard to believe that people are actually entertained by this sort of stuff. If there's one thing that these movies do represent, it's the unfortunate future of action films (ie. soulless, emotionless husks filled with veiled hatred that exist solely for marketing purposes), because it's been proven that this kid of stuff sells.

Like the juvenile school-yard bully who calls anyone out as a f*ggot or homo for not agreeing or lining up with his narrow world-view of how men, women and minorities should be viewed, These films similarly mock and degrade unapologetically and if you don't like it- well, you're just a PC, liberal cry-baby. Brainwashing of the masses at it's finest.

Let's look at some of the wonderful ideals these movies promote (I know there are a million more examples. If you've got examples, post 'em):

-Sexism: Specifically, the objectification of women- Women are trophies to be won or lost. They must always appear sexy and seductive (for all the adolescent boys and peter-pan syndrome boy-men watching).
There is nothing wrong with having sexy and seductive women in the movies. Was the first scene with Rosie necessary? No. Was it awesome? Absolutely.

Quote:
-Racism: If you're not white, you exist as a peripheral character. Most likely comic relief or some other stereotype (the stoic black man). In other words, you're disposable and you're a joke (blatantly racist buck toothed robots not withstanding).
No. White people were also treated as a joke. And Epps was treated seriously. This arguement doesn't really hold. Also, if you're offended that black men are treated as comic relief and being stoic, what exactly are you looking for?

Quote:
-Jingoism: America is the best and the military is #1. English, dude, English.
This movie takes place in America and involves the military. Again, what are you looking for? A scene where American soldiers kill innocent civilians just to balance things out?

Quote:
-Homophobia: "You gonna go cry to your boyfriend? Pussy!" There's plenty more where that came from. Needless to say, these movies are riddled with the kind of sophomoric, juvenile macho-man, tough guy behavior that only the most ignorant among us (and little kids who don't know any better) buy in to.
I don't remember this line. I don't remember any instance of homophobia in all three films. It's a bit of a stretch to say these films promote homophobia based on that one line.

Quote:
But it's all so FUNNY! Right? So if you don't like it, you're just too uptight!

*Yawn*

Since these boards seem to be crawling with people who absolutely love these movies, I fully expect the response of:

"Lighten up. Not everything needs to be politically correct and "Disney-fied" Blah, blah blah, pus*syfication of America, blah, blah, blah."

Actually, no. The problem with brainless movies like these is that they endorse and perpetuate negative stereotypes and outright mocking of sexes, races and behaviors that you don't identify with- and of course, the behaviors you are meant to identify with are those of the hero. The promotion of ignorant bliss all disguised as a good fun action romp!)

People should really be insulted by this movie. Well, not by the movie itself, but by the attitudes of the film makers that they can just churn out any tripe and you'll gobble it up greedily.

+10 points for the response:

"Dude, it's just a movie. Chill." or

"It's just an action movie dude, you're supposed to turn off your brain and enjoy it for what it is."

Both awful responses for accepting this hateful garbage as entertainment.

predictable. Anyone got an actual response? I'd love if this could encourage some discussion.
No, people really shouldn't be offended by these movies. Of all the problems with these movies, what you've mentioned are the lest of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Holy smokes! Smart people DO exist on these boards!

I agree with you, these problems are NOT exclusive to Michael Bay and the Transformers franchise, but it is quite shocking and off-putting to see such complete and utter trash packaged and presented in such an enormous, far-reaching blockbuster that seems to market to all age groups (kids, teens and adults-more so the two former ) and worst of all, universally accepted(!)

People SHOULD realize that they are being insulted and scammed with these trashy films, but it's so much easier to take it sitting down I guess. Those movies where you have to pay attention that make you think are SO boring and don't have as many explosions and you can't text message through the whole thing...so of course, we ARE becoming a nation of automatons. Look at the literacy rate, look at the obesity rate!

The people are watching this stuff will be laughing along mindlessly never once knowing or questioning what they're seeing. They might not know what they're watching, but their brain sure does. This is the subtle way that people are brainwashed so effectively that lets them retain the thought that they are in control of how they think or act/react about the things I've mentioned, when really, after years of brainwashing and desensitization by the media, they don't bother to really question anything. They know what they know and they're proud of that (ie. It's just an action movie where you turn your brain off).
This goes double for the kids who watch this stuff. Kids are like little sponges that absorb stuff even though they don't know it... and little do they or the parents know that seeds for this way of thinking are planted in their heads.

Harmless? Maybe. Breeding a world of monosyllabic dullards who can't tell you who Ralph Waldo Emerson is, but CAN tell you all about Optimus Prime and the Transformers. Sad.

That last part was a little off point...and it's not to say that I don't love sci-fi and fantasy. I quite do, but of the quality and thoughtful variety (The Nolan Batman films, the first two Spider-Man films, Sunshine, Alien, Wall-e, etc...)
For someone who is complaining about the "hate" this film promotes, you sure are good at dishing out insults. You seem to think everybody should have the same tastes in movies are you do. You seriously underestimate audiences. In fact it's a little insulting that you think movie goers are too stupid to realize what's going on on the screen. This may shock you, but a lot of guys don't get offended by seeing a hot chick in tight pants straddle a motorcycle.

Also, did you pay to see this movie? If so, you really aren't helping your cause by adding to the box office numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
The problem is that most people don't read into things enough...

...which is the EXACT problem with Michael Bay and co. He doesn't really think about anything before he does it. He does things "because they look cool" or because it's "funny", wherein the belligerently ignorant, juvenile, frat-boy attitude of entitlement prevails. But you're right, there is no fore-thought of malice, just blissful ignorance.

Although I wasn't being literal with the smattering of examples I offered up there, I can see they were interpreted as such. I've got no qualms with James Cameron (I haven't seen Avatar, so I don't know), most hollywood films are white-washed anyway. That's a given. The problem, as I believe I explained, is that the secondary, minority characters in Michael Bay movies (and others, to be sure) are plainly used as jokes and stereotypes. That's the big difference.
You're right. Next time Bay is making a movie, he should really sit back and think, "Should I put this in the movie, or will it offend Vid Electricz".

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowersOfMind View Post
Blatantly racist buck-toothed robots?

The problem I have with this is such: I think the person viewing is the one with the problem. That's not to say that there aren't moments when I sit and think something may skirt or cross the line into racism.

As a African-American I don't get why people automatically fly to the idea that the jive-talking robots are black. I don't know any black people that speak that way. I know there are those that do, but they don't make up the majority. Where does that come from? It's internal I think. Robots aren't defined by race on human terms, so why that specific designation? Unless you already have a pre-coceived notion of how blacks speak, why do you designate the idiot robot as black? To me that speaks to the idea that already ligers in the back of your mind.
Exactly. The first time I heard the twins I thought they sounded like back woods rednecks. The same with Jar Jar Binks. I find it funny how people heard these characters and though, "Wait a second. These people sound black." It's almost a subconscious racism projected by the viewer, which they turn around and claim it's racism by the film maker.

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #54
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!
 
Episode29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,670
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
I and many others will also happily discuss the use of storytelling tools in movies, but there's a time and a place (and a topic) for those things.

You want to discuss themes and messages and analyze a film, go ahead, but pick a film that encourages that sort of thing. Transformers isn't and shouldn't be that sort of thing.

Also, keep your film critic elite attitude to yourself pal. Like it or not, people actually do go to movies for the entertainment value, and judging them on that because they don't follow your ideas only casts light on yourself.
There's nothing wrong with going to the movies for "entertainment value." At all. I'm not trying to scorn anyone who does. I should have worded my quoted post more sensitively. It was extremely late, and I guess I was a bit punchy. I apologize to anyone who was offended.

With that said, however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Vid Electricz wanting to discuss these concepts here. He didn't try to fill Review or Box Office threads with these topics. He created a new thread for those interested in analyzing the films from a sexist/racist, etc. contextual point of view. Why should his thread be bombarded with posts telling him to take his opinions elsewhere. If he wants to intellectualize the Transformers movies, go for it. It might to be fun to see where the discussion leads.

Also, any film is open for analysis. They're the product of an artistic vision - in this case Michael Bay's - and thus are completely open to interpretation. One of the best critical essays of last year was written about Top Gun. You may not like that, but it's true. Dozens of academic articles have been written applying auteur theory to the works of Michael Bay. There are common themes and artistic choices throughout his entire filmography. To dissuade someone else from examining the potential negative impacts of them is just as rude as his inappropriate broad generalizations of fans of the franchise. Both sides need to be more respectful.

Why is there no room for different types of discourse when it comes to Transformers movies?


Last edited by Episode29; 07-05-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #55
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
First, I wanted to ask how the view was from that high horse you're sitting on?

You really seem to get off on insulting people. You may perceive these things from films, but that does not mean others share your views. And, it most certainly does not make them any less intelligent than you. Nor, does it give you the right to smugly sit their and insult them.

You have a point, that as long as people buy movie tickets, Hollywood will continue to produce what sells. That's simply smart business. Every company with a CEO with half a brain will do the same thing, and they would fail if they didn't.

To address each of your issues...

Sexism. Sorry, pal, but sex sells. If that's a problem for you, you're going to be pissed off for a long time. Hollywood has been casting eye candy since they started, and they will continue to do so until the general public gets it through their skulls that looks aren't everything.


Racism.
Since when is not casting a minority as your lead,made you a racist director? While it is true, that not many minority actors get big rolls, and even fewer get awards, I don't see how this makes the directors racists. Spielberg, for example. This is the guy who essentially shut down Megan Fox's career for making a Hitler remark, yet only one of his films has ever stared a minority in a lead roll. Does this make him a racist? The same can be said for James Cameron.

Jingoism.
Seriously? Bay portrays the American military kicking the crap out of invading alien robots, and this somehow means that he supports aggressive foreign policy and advocates the use of threats and unprovoked force to protect America? That's a bit of a stretch.

Homophobia.
There is a huge difference between belittling someone's manhood, and being homophobic. A homophobe believes that what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home, somehow effects their way of life. Telling a guy to run home to his boyfriend is not. That comment is designed to insult his masculinity. This is something a lot of guys take seriously. Society has shaped the role of the common man, and we guys tend to try and fit it. Women do similar things, too.

I hope this clears thing up for you, but then again, I'm just a Transformers fan, and you know, you really shouldn't expect much from us.

By the way, I have a new term for you to review. Elitist. I think it may just fit you.

Au contraire, my friend, the only people that are smug around here are the ones that insist you be a brain dead shill and not question anything. Then if you do question it, they insist you go read shakespeare, because clearly those are the only two options. That's smug. Calling people out on their bulls*it, well, it may make you uncomfortable and defensive because it's true, but it's not smug or self-righteous. This is all just a continuation of the trend where it's become "cool" to be ignorant.

Dude, you can call me an elitist or whatever you'd like, but the truth is that I'm a realist. If you love these movies so much that you feel compelled to defend them to death, go for it. If you feel insulted because I've merely called this movie on all it's bull...well, that's because you buy into it.

If you'd prefer to live life wearing rose colored glasses, that's entirely your option.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:13 PM   #56
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode29 View Post
There's nothing wrong with going to the movies for "entertainment value." At all. I'm not trying to scorn anyone who does. I should have worded my quoted post more sensitively. It was extremely late, and I guess I was a bit punchy. I apologize to anyone who was offended.

With that said, however, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Vid Electricz wanting to discuss these concepts here. He didn't try to fill Review or Box Office threads with these topics. He created a new thread for those interested in analyzing the films from a sexist/racist, etc. contextual point of view. Why should his thread be bombarded with posts telling him to take his opinions elsewhere. If he wants to intellectualize the Transformers movies, go for it. It might to be fun to see where the discussion leads.

Also, any film is open for analysis. They're the product of an artistic vision - in this case Michael Bay's - and thus are completely open to interpretation. One of the best critical essays of last year was written about Top Gun. You may not like that, but it's true. Dozens of academic articles have been written applying auteur theory to the works of Michael Bay. There are common themes and artistic choices throughout his entire filmography. To dissuade someone else from examining the potential negative impacts of them is just as rude as his inappropriate broad generalizations of fans of the franchise. Both sides need to be more respectful.

Why is there no room for different types of discourse when it comes to Transformers movies?


This is the best post I've ever read. You couldn't be more right if you tried.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #57
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs
 
Golgo-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: The Creative Mind
Posts: 24,292
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

I love it how everyone blames Bay for the way the Transformers franchise turned out, when in fact Speilburg is as much to blame as Bay is.

He's the one who twisted Bay's arm into directing this in the first place, after Bay openly admitted he didn't like TF or want to do it. Speilburg, as a well respected director as he is, should have known better...

__________________
"And a man, a man provides. And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it. Because he's a man."
- Gus Fring
Golgo-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 PM   #58
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,674
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode29 View Post
Such a boring attitude.

Someone tries to start a legitimately interesting, timely discussion and this is your response?

Not a big fan of the auteur theory, are you?
If you're viewing of the movie can be greatly enhanced with weed and alcohol, like summer Blockbusters, you probably shouldn't put this much thought into them.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM   #59
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
If you're viewing of the movie can be greatly enhanced with weed and alcohol, like summer Blockbusters, you probably shouldn't put this much thought into them.

Well, he's right. It is a boring attitude.

I guess The Dark Knight and Inception were summer blockbusters that you weren't supposed to put any thought into either.

There was potential for this to be a great series, but that potential was flushed down the toilet in favor of cheap, mindless thrills and juvenile gags pandering to the lowest common denominator.

"It's Transformers dude. What were you expecting, Shakespeare?"

*sigh*

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #60
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,674
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Well, he's right. It is a boring attitude.

I guess The Dark Knight and Inception were summer blockbusters that you weren't supposed to put any thought into either.

There was potential for this to be a great series, but that potential was flushed down the toilet in favor of cheap, mindless thrills and juvenile gags pandering to the lowest common denominator.

"It's Transformers dude. What were you expecting, Shakespeare?"

*sigh*
Batman may have produced some great(er) works of fiction, but Transformers always has and always will be mindless entertainment. It's a somewhat unique premise that's ultimate plot is very predictable and redundant. Giant robots start war, war continues, Autobots and Decepticons fight for resources, war comes to Earth...lather, rinse, repeat. I know you think because the characters were memorable to you at five it was brilliant, but it wasn't. There wasn't some intricate psychology behind Optimus and Megatron's rivalry. It was simple good versus simple evil. You're making the same mistake so many nerds make: they assume everyone else recognizes their properties brilliance and assumes because they see it, it must be there. It's a little silly. I mean c'mon, Optimus is a caricature of John Wayne. Jazz and Blaster rhyme and jive talk. Bumblebee is a loveable little love bug. Most of this is colorful nonsense. None of this is the breeding ground for great Sci-Fi like Inception.

So no, trying to appreciate something for it is rather than what you think it is is definitely not lazy.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #61
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,323
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Au contraire, my friend, the only people that are smug around here are the ones that insist you be a brain dead shill and not question anything. Then if you do question it, they insist you go read shakespeare, because clearly those are the only two options. That's smug. Calling people out on their bulls*it, well, it may make you uncomfortable and defensive because it's true, but it's not smug or self-righteous. This is all just a continuation of the trend where it's become "cool" to be ignorant.

Dude, you can call me an elitist or whatever you'd like, but the truth is that I'm a realist. If you love these movies so much that you feel compelled to defend them to death, go for it. If you feel insulted because I've merely called this movie on all it's bull...well, that's because you buy into it.

If you'd prefer to live life wearing rose colored glasses, that's entirely your option.
First off, what offended me was your comment on how, since this is the Transformers section, you were not expecting any intelligent replies. Saying that implies that you feel that because we are fans of Transformers, that it somehow impacts our intelligence. It does not, and it is rather arrogant of you to think so.

Second, I never once made any of the comments you suggested to me as being smug, so I'm unsure why you threw that at me. Nor am I, "defending this movie to the death," but rather disagreeing with your accusations.

Third, the reason I called you an elitist, is because you seem to be looking sharply down your nose at anyone who does not share your opinion. The points you make are opinions, not facts. Therefore, treating them as such, is an elitist thing to do.

Lastly, I'm curious why had nothing to say to my counter arguments. I imagine you have a good reason, but dodging them, as it seems you've done, only makes you look like more of a snob.


Last edited by Hotwire; 07-05-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #62
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!
 
Episode29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,670
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Batman may have produced some great(er) works of fiction, but Transformers always has and always will be mindless entertainment. It's a somewhat unique premise that's ultimate plot is very predictable and redundant. Giant robots start war, war continues, Autobots and Decepticons fight for resources, war comes to Earth...lather, rinse, repeat. I know you think because the characters were memorable to you at five it was brilliant, but it wasn't. There wasn't some intricate psychology behind Optimus and Megatron's rivalry. It was simple good versus simple evil. You're making the same mistake so many nerds make: they assume everyone else recognizes their properties brilliance and assumes because they see it, it must be there. It's a little silly. I mean c'mon, Optimus is a caricature of John Wayne. Jazz and Blaster rhyme and jive talk. Bumblebee is a loveable little love bug. Most of this is colorful nonsense. None of this is the breeding ground for great Sci-Fi like Inception.

So no, trying to appreciate something for it is rather than what you think it is is definitely not lazy.
Okay, so if it's all "mindless entertainment" and "colourful nonsense," why do all three films feature either spoken references or full-on visual allusions to 9/11? Why does DotM make a blatant reference to the 1986 Challenger explosion? It is more than possible to make light, silly blockbusters without dragging real world tragedies into the mix.

It's that approach to filmmaking that makes Bay such a fascinating, and problematic, artist.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #63
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!
 
Episode29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,670
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
I love it how everyone blames Bay for the way the Transformers franchise turned out, when in fact Speilburg is as much to blame as Bay is.

He's the one who twisted Bay's arm into directing this in the first place, after Bay openly admitted he didn't like TF or want to do it. Speilburg, as a well respected director as he is, should have known better...
I agree 100%. Spielberg has bizarrely gotten away scott-free - and with millions of dollars - despite being so closely associated with the series. While the content of the films has been steered predominantly by Bay's sensibilities, it is strange that Spielberg, a sensitive and respectful filmmaker if ever there was one, has been so hands off. Back in the 80s his produced works (Poltergeist, Gremlins, Back to the Future) all shared his humanistic slant. I would love to hear his reasoning behind the content of the Transformers films. Frankly, I'd be amazed if he's actually enjoyed a single one.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:48 PM   #64
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,323
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode29 View Post
Okay, so if it's all "mindless entertainment" and "colourful nonsense," why do all three films feature either spoken references or full-on visual allusions to 9/11? Why does DotM make a blatant reference to the 1986 Challenger explosion? It is more than possible to make light, silly blockbusters without dragging real world tragedies into the mix.

It's that approach to filmmaking that makes Bay such a fascinating, and problematic, artist.
I know the part in ROTF where they mention 9/11, but where is the reference in the other two.
Actually, since this is a Transformers movie, wouldn't the destruction of the ship be a reference to the episode of the show where the Autobots are forced to leave Earth and everyone thinks their ship is destroyed?

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #65
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey
 
MessiahDecoy123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,384
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Batman may have produced some great(er) works of fiction, but Transformers always has and always will be mindless entertainment. It's a somewhat unique premise that's ultimate plot is very predictable and redundant. Giant robots start war, war continues, Autobots and Decepticons fight for resources, war comes to Earth...lather, rinse, repeat. I know you think because the characters were memorable to you at five it was brilliant, but it wasn't. There wasn't some intricate psychology behind Optimus and Megatron's rivalry. It was simple good versus simple evil. You're making the same mistake so many nerds make: they assume everyone else recognizes their properties brilliance and assumes because they see it, it must be there. It's a little silly. I mean c'mon, Optimus is a caricature of John Wayne. Jazz and Blaster rhyme and jive talk. Bumblebee is a loveable little love bug. Most of this is colorful nonsense. None of this is the breeding ground for great Sci-Fi like Inception.

So no, trying to appreciate something for it is rather than what you think it is is definitely not lazy.
Batman was never high art and Inception isn't great sci-fi. There's not much to Batman other than guy dresses up like bat to fight crazy criminals and there's not much to Inception other than a heist film mixed with reality based dreams. Nolan's films seem tend to make people feel smart with very little actual substance.

Why can't you have a movie about robots with souls fighting, a worker class versus a military class? One type of machine fights for tyranny and the other for freedom. Add a little Ghost in the Shell, cyberpunk and space opera and you could have a great sci-fi trilogy. Why does it have to be mindless and stupid like a Schumacher Batman movie?

MessiahDecoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:16 PM   #66
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!
 
Episode29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,670
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
I know the part in ROTF where they mention 9/11, but where is the reference in the other two.
Actually, since this is a Transformers movie, wouldn't the destruction of the ship be a reference to the episode of the show where the Autobots are forced to leave Earth and everyone thinks their ship is destroyed?
The other two are visual references. In the first, it's the scene depicting Megatron, in jet form, crashing through a high rise. In DotM it's the crumpling of the Chicago tower.

Now, again, those two instances could obviously be waved off as making a mountain out of a molehill. However, it's the method in which Bay frames his shots and depicts the action that's troubling. Obviously, art is open to interpretation, but - for myself, and several others - these two sequences read like very intentional visual allusions. After all, Bay is attempting to sell disaster movie scenarios, and it's a very easy shorthand technique to contrast on-screen catastrophes with real world ones.

Now, I'm not against directors evoking 9/11 in popcorn fare. Spielberg pulled it off extremely well in War of the Worlds, and Danny Boyle with 28 Days Later. It can be done. But there's a crass sensationalism and lack of humanity to Bay's technique that I find distasteful.

As for the shuttle explosion, it may reference an episode of the show, but it's shot eerily similar to the Challenger explosion. I was honestly a bit taken aback when I saw it. Again, it's Bay's approach I take issue with, not the actual act of showing an exploding shuttle.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:26 PM   #67
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Batman may have produced some great(er) works of fiction, but Transformers always has and always will be mindless entertainment. It's a somewhat unique premise that's ultimate plot is very predictable and redundant. Giant robots start war, war continues, Autobots and Decepticons fight for resources, war comes to Earth...lather, rinse, repeat. I know you think because the characters were memorable to you at five it was brilliant, but it wasn't. There wasn't some intricate psychology behind Optimus and Megatron's rivalry. It was simple good versus simple evil. You're making the same mistake so many nerds make: they assume everyone else recognizes their properties brilliance and assumes because they see it, it must be there. It's a little silly. I mean c'mon, Optimus is a caricature of John Wayne. Jazz and Blaster rhyme and jive talk. Bumblebee is a loveable little love bug. Most of this is colorful nonsense. None of this is the breeding ground for great Sci-Fi like Inception.

So no, trying to appreciate something for it is rather than what you think it is is definitely not lazy.


See, that's such a lazy attitude. I've actually never been a Transformers fan (cartoon or otherwise), but I can see when there is potential in a property to be great, if treated correctly. Heck, most anything has potential, but we still get stuff like "Smurfs". *sigh*

The way you described Transformers: Giant robot ware, rinse, repeat, etc... You could easily say the same thing about Batman: Guy in bat-suit fights colorful bad guys, rinse, repeat. Pretty good excuse for a mindless action flick, right?

Joel Schumacher showed how to do it WRONG. He dumbed it down and made it for the lowest common denominator. Christopher Nolan was creative and innovative and saw the potential in the character to do something great...and he did. All it takes is a little insight and thoughtfulness.


I still offer TDK and Inception as the gold standard for a summer blockbuster thus far (which isn't to say I don't enjoy action movies from time to time, but those were pretty great for what they were).

Take a look at the movie Wall-E. It's about robots, right? The first half of the movie has ZERO dialogue with two robots interacting and it was still interesting. It's called storytelling. Pixar does it well, sub-par film makers (Michael Bay) haven't got a clue. I'm not saying that Transformers should have been like Wall-E, but perhaps Bay should have taken a note from Pixar regarding how to tell a good, insightful story with characters you actually care about.


Last edited by Vid Electricz; 07-05-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #68
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Batman was never high art and Inception isn't great sci-fi. There's not much to Batman other than guy dresses up like bat to fight crazy criminals and there's not much to Inception other than a heist film mixed with reality based dreams. Nolan's films seem tend to make people feel smart with very little actual substance.

Why can't you have a movie about robots with souls fighting, a worker class versus a military class? One type of machine fights for tyranny and the other for freedom. Add a little Ghost in the Shell, cyberpunk and space opera and you could have a great sci-fi trilogy. Why does it have to be mindless and stupid like a Schumacher Batman movie?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode29 View Post
The other two are visual references. In the first, it's the scene depicting Megatron, in jet form, crashing through a high rise. In DotM it's the crumpling of the Chicago tower.

Now, again, those two instances could obviously be waved off as making a mountain out of a molehill. However, it's the method in which Bay frames his shots and depicts the action that's troubling. Obviously, art is open to interpretation, but - for myself, and several others - these two sequences read like very intentional visual allusions. After all, Bay is attempting to sell disaster movie scenarios, and it's a very easy shorthand technique to contrast on-screen catastrophes with real world ones.

Now, I'm not against directors evoking 9/11 in popcorn fare. Spielberg pulled it off extremely well in War of the Worlds, and Danny Boyle with 28 Days Later. It can be done. But there's a crass sensationalism and lack of humanity to Bay's technique that I find distasteful.

As for the shuttle explosion, it may reference an episode of the show, but it's shot eerily similar to the Challenger explosion. I was honestly a bit taken aback when I saw it. Again, it's Bay's approach I take issue with, not the actual act of showing an exploding shuttle.


BINGO BANGO. You guys are speaking my language.

Where's the creativity and heart in these films?

Answer: There isn't any.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #69
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,134
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
First off, what offended me was your comment on how, since this is the Transformers section, you were not expecting any intelligent replies. Saying that implies that you feel that because we are fans of Transformers, that it somehow impacts our intelligence. It does not, and it is rather arrogant of you to think so.

Second, I never once made any of the comments you suggested to me as being smug, so I'm unsure why you threw that at me. Nor am I, "defending this movie to the death," but rather disagreeing with your accusations.

Third, the reason I called you an elitist, is because you seem to be looking sharply down your nose at anyone who does not share your opinion. The points you make are opinions, not facts. Therefore, treating them as such, is an elitist thing to do.


Lastly, I'm curious why had nothing to say to my counter arguments. I imagine you have a good reason, but dodging them, as it seems you've done, only makes you look like more of a snob.

def28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:00 PM   #70
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
First off, what offended me was your comment on how, since this is the Transformers section, you were not expecting any intelligent replies. Saying that implies that you feel that because we are fans of Transformers, that it somehow impacts our intelligence. It does not, and it is rather arrogant of you to think so.

Second, I never once made any of the comments you suggested to me as being smug, so I'm unsure why you threw that at me. Nor am I, "defending this movie to the death," but rather disagreeing with your accusations.

Third, the reason I called you an elitist, is because you seem to be looking sharply down your nose at anyone who does not share your opinion. The points you make are opinions, not facts. Therefore, treating them as such, is an elitist thing to do.

Lastly, I'm curious why had nothing to say to my counter arguments. I imagine you have a good reason, but dodging them, as it seems you've done, only makes you look like more of a snob.

First, I wanted to ask how the view was from that high horse you're sitting on?

You really seem to get off on insulting people. You may perceive these things from films, but that does not mean others share your views. And, it most certainly does not make them any less intelligent than you. Nor, does it give you the right to smugly sit their and insult them.

You have a point, that as long as people buy movie tickets, Hollywood will continue to produce what sells. That's simply smart business. Every company with a CEO with half a brain will do the same thing, and they would fail if they didn't.

To address each of your issues...

Sexism. Sorry, pal, but sex sells. If that's a problem for you, you're going to be pissed off for a long time. Hollywood has been casting eye candy since they started, and they will continue to do so until the general public gets it through their skulls that looks aren't everything.


Racism.
Since when is not casting a minority as your lead,made you a racist director? While it is true, that not many minority actors get big rolls, and even fewer get awards, I don't see how this makes the directors racists. Spielberg, for example. This is the guy who essentially shut down Megan Fox's career for making a Hitler remark, yet only one of his films has ever stared a minority in a lead roll. Does this make him a racist? The same can be said for James Cameron.

Jingoism.
Seriously? Bay portrays the American military kicking the crap out of invading alien robots, and this somehow means that he supports aggressive foreign policy and advocates the use of threats and unprovoked force to protect America? That's a bit of a stretch.

Homophobia.
There is a huge difference between belittling someone's manhood, and being homophobic. A homophobe believes that what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their own home, somehow effects their way of life. Telling a guy to run home to his boyfriend is not. That comment is designed to insult his masculinity. This is something a lot of guys take seriously. Society has shaped the role of the common man, and we guys tend to try and fit it. Women do similar things, too.

I hope this clears thing up for you, but then again, I'm just a Transformers fan, and you know, you really shouldn't expect much from us.

By the way, I have a new term for you to review. Elitist. I think it may just fit you.


Yeah, that was rude of me to go for the ad hominem like that, but I really did try to make it explicitly clear in the initial post what I was talking about. Just looking at the responses, it's clear that many posters didn't quite understand that and instead interpreted it as an attack.

I can go through each of your counter arguments if you'd like me too, but to be honest (and I'm not insulting you here), the justifications and reasoning you've listed are only excuses validating the reason for the existence of sexism, racism, etc... for example, you comment about sexism:

Sexism. Sorry, pal, but sex sells. If that's a problem for you, you're going to be pissed off for a long time. Hollywood has been casting eye candy since they started, and they will continue to do so until the general public gets it through their skulls that looks aren't everything.


Yes, sex does sell. Our culture is obsessed with it. No one can deny that. It's not even that looks aren't everything (Most movie stars ARE good looking after all), the problem I have is the blatant objectification of women in these films that, like it or not, reinforces in many a pre-adolescent's (and men in general) minds that women are to be viewed as shiny trophies to be won or lost. I see it all the time, even today, Men who think they're James Bond talking about and treating women like pieces of meat. It would be stupid to say that all men are pigs, but they buy into the kind of mindless group-think that this movie promotes, then they are. It's not to say that movies are to blame, 'cause we all know that's not true, but along with a zillion other things, they are a contributing factor in how our culture operates.


I can tell, how these things make sense in the framework of the world that Michael bay has set up, but I'm trying to look at things from outside the box. Questioning why these things are the way they are and why more people don't care.

So yeah, sorry again for the needless slam.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #71
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,674
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Batman was never high art and Inception isn't great sci-fi. There's not much to Batman other than guy dresses up like bat to fight crazy criminals and there's not much to Inception other than a heist film mixed with reality based dreams. Nolan's films seem tend to make people feel smart with very little actual substance.

Why can't you have a movie about robots with souls fighting, a worker class versus a military class? One type of machine fights for tyranny and the other for freedom. Add a little Ghost in the Shell, cyberpunk and space opera and you could have a great sci-fi trilogy. Why does it have to be mindless and stupid like a Schumacher Batman movie?
If you like these things I wouldn't reccommend Transformers, it's a pretty shallow work of fiction. If Bay tried to make it intelligent the end result would be so different from Transformers you'd hate it more. Hell the plot to the last film was pretty much identical to two cartoon episodes from the eighties.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #72
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,323
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Yeah, that was rude of me to go for the ad hominem like that, but I really did try to make it explicitly clear in the initial post what I was talking about. Just looking at the responses, it's clear that many posters didn't quite understand that and instead interpreted it as an attack.

I can go through each of your counter arguments if you'd like me too, but to be honest (and I'm not insulting you here), the justifications and reasoning you've listed are only excuses validating the reason for the existence of sexism, racism, etc... for example, you comment about sexism:

Sexism. Sorry, pal, but sex sells. If that's a problem for you, you're going to be pissed off for a long time. Hollywood has been casting eye candy since they started, and they will continue to do so until the general public gets it through their skulls that looks aren't everything.


Yes, sex does sell. Our culture is obsessed with it. No one can deny that. It's not even that looks aren't everything (Most movie stars ARE good looking after all), the problem I have is the blatant objectification of women in these films that, like it or not, reinforces in many a pre-adolescent's (and men in general) minds that women are to be viewed as shiny trophies to be won or lost. I see it all the time, even today, Men who think they're James Bond talking about and treating women like pieces of meat. It would be stupid to say that all men are pigs, but they buy into the kind of mindless group-think that this movie promotes, then they are. It's not to say that movies are to blame, 'cause we all know that's not true, but along with a zillion other things, they are a contributing factor in how our culture operates.


I can tell, how these things make sense in the framework of the world that Michael bay has set up, but I'm trying to look at things from outside the box. Questioning why these things are the way they are and why more people don't care.

So yeah, sorry again for the needless slam.
My wife is my trophy and I am very proud to have her. I won the heart of a woman who loves me, and it would pain me deeply to lose her.

This is what I think they were getting at. The fact that Rosie happens to hot, just like most actresses in Hollywood, is beside the point. Besides, what man would not be proud to have a hot girl on his arm, or girl with a hot guy?

Keep going with my excuses.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 PM   #73
Vid Electricz
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,845
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
My wife is my trophy and I am very proud to have her. I won the heart of a woman who loves me, and it would pain me deeply to lose her.

This is what I think they were getting at. The fact that Rosie happens to hot, just like most actresses in Hollywood, is beside the point. Besides, what man would not be proud to have a hot girl on his arm, or girl with a hot guy?

Keep going with my excuses.

Didn't you say our society needs to realize that looks aren't everything? I've never thought of my significant other as a trophy that I won and therefore owned before, so we'll just leave that.


I presume your wife is a fully realized person with hopes, plans and dreams and a great personality, right? I'm sure she's got quirks and negative qualities as well. That's the kind of stuff that equals a fully realized character. And I realize that's a lot to ask of a character from a "mindless action flick", but others have done, so that shouldn't be an excuse.

The fact that the actress in this movie is an underwear model says it all. The fact that she's "hot" is not beside the point, it is exactly the point of her existing in this movie. This woman was never meant to have any characteristics other than "be hot, be sexy, be seductive...uh, be hot while running from explosions".

She's obviously and unabashedly there for guys to ogle.

Clarice Starling from Silence of the lambs, off the top of my head, is a well-developed female character, Marion from Raiders of the lost ark (from Spielberg, natch). Not a slinky underwear model who can only pout at the camera and look sexy to fulfill guys male power fantasies.

Vid Electricz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:58 PM   #74
OoAnd1
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 251
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Why can't you have a movie about robots with souls fighting, a worker class versus a military class? One type of machine fights for tyranny and the other for freedom. Add a little Ghost in the Shell, cyberpunk and space opera and you could have a great sci-fi trilogy. Why does it have to be mindless and stupid like a Schumacher Batman movie?
Because then you'd have another nerdy trilogy like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

Why can't us mindless d-bags have our own sci-fi trilogy?

OoAnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:59 PM   #75
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,323
Default Re: Sexism, Racism, Jingoism and Homophobia- That's entertainment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Electricz View Post
Didn't you say our society needs to realize that looks aren't everything? I've never thought of my significant other as a trophy that I won and therefore owned before, so we'll just leave that.
I don't own her, but, as I said, I did win her heart. Cherish and treasure her, as she does me. We are very proud to have each other. For the record, she felt my statement was very sweet.

Now, please, move on to my other rebuttals. I'm real curious about the jingoism one.


Last edited by Hotwire; 07-05-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.