View Poll Results: Is he the best?
Yes 56 35.67%
No 71 45.22%
He's tied with another villian(s) 30 19.11%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #26
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Default Re: TDK's Joker: The best film villain of all time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
He's tied with Norman Bates and Anton Chigurh.

Awesome tattoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
You would rank Le Chiffre over The Joker? All he did was whip Bond's balls back and forth.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #27
Eggyman
The Oval Avenger

He's certainly up there. I don't know whether I'd say yes, but I'll say that I'd find it very hard to find as much enjoyment in another villian. If I keep it to genre, as in comic book films, then I'd go as far as to say that it's THE best performance of a comic character brought to screen, villain or not. I don't think, within the genre, that I've ever seen a performance with as much heart and soul that has effected me and stayed with me as Heath's Joker has. He put sweat and tears into that part, and it shows with every line of dialogue and every gesture.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:54 PM   #28
Schlosser85
SHH! Global Moderator
SHH! Global Moderator

I think I'd rate him second behind Hannibal Lecter.

Two wrongs just make something more wrong.

Movie Review Site:
Schlosser85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #29
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Awesome tattoo
Thank you. It looks even better now. That pic was taken when it was still bloody and scabby.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 AM   #30
elgaz
Side-Kick

I'd definitely rate him somewhere in the top 5.

I watched a little of TDK yesterday again for the first time in about 6 months, and I could just watch Ledger's scenes over and over. He has so many layers going on when he plays Joker; the constantly moving eyes; the fidgeting, the maniacal laugh, the way he's licking his gums and playing with his mouth; the random actions; it's not even acting, he literally became the Joker. He totally comes across 110% convincingly as someone who is completely unhinged ...... chaos on legs.

The way he can change from psychotic to downright scary in an instant is great too - particularly notable when the TV station is airing the 'home video' made by Joker when he captures the Batman wannabe. He's laughing and doing the creepy thing, and suddenly his voice drops to this creature-like tone and he roars at his victim "LOOK AT ME!". I got a new surround system and my gf watched the film for the first time through it shortly after I got it, she jumped at that part lol.

Truly a fantastic performance.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:23 PM   #31
Diemtay
Side-Kick

If TDK and Heath's performance holds up well, we may have different opinions in 20 years or so. TDK's Joker could become a classic cinematic villian.

Diemtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #32
Valaquen
Alien Series Maestro

The Joker himself - one of the best. Any specific live-action rendition of him - I don't think so, personally. I thought that Heath's Joker was magical, that is, capable of impossible/mysterious feats and getaways with nary an explanation, whereas Bale's Batman had his every gadget and maneouver explained - it really took the edge off both characters for me. They really were opposite extremes of one another: one ridiculously capable and frustratingly unexplained [in terms of his 'abilities', not origins] and the other explained to the point of boredom [I don't really want to know how exaclty Batman knocks out electricty and plans an alibi to abduct someone - I'd rather see Batman as the villian does, as a seemingly mysterious force]. Those are the reasons I have, personally. I wasn't so enamoured by the character or his exploits.

I think A Clockwork Orange's Alex is a great 'villian', because you're made to emphasise with him - and it works!

Valaquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:16 AM   #33
HisMagicTrick
Thank God I'm Pretty

He's definitely the best in my opinion

HisMagicTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #34
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

^^^ I really like your username lol.

- The Joker
Old 07-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #35
CJ
Derpy Derp

Kinda silly to ask this on a Batman forum. Of course the answer is going to be a resounding YES.

Still, I have to say, YES. He was a despicable monster that you loathe, but can't help but be intruiged by at the same time. An expertly crafted villain who truly gives the viewer a feeling of dread and anxiety whenever he is onscreen.

CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:40 PM   #36
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

I will have to strongly disagree. If I was to pick one greatest villain of all time, I would pick Darth Vader

Old 07-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #37
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #38
Knight Rise
Banned User

If Mark Hamill did live action, we'd be eating our words about Ledger. But he's not, unless MOTP counts because it was in theaters

Knight Rise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #39
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

The Joker in Mask of the Phantasm is just as valid as Heath Ledger's in this topic.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:10 AM   #40
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rise View Post
If Mark Hamill did live action, we'd be eating our words about Ledger. But he's not, unless MOTP counts because it was in theaters
I disagree. Heath Ledger's Joker is far more terrifying than Mark Hamill's Joker was.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:14 AM   #41
John McGuirk
Soccer Coach

I think TDK will stand the test of time. It's not just a superhero movie, it felt more like a crime thriller to me. It was incredible when I first saw it at midnight IMAX, and is still incredible today. (I know only 3 years later, but still)

Why did that get no reaction?"
John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:57 AM   #42
Knight Rise
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
The Joker in Mask of the Phantasm is just as valid as Heath Ledger's in this topic.
Okay so I'll stick with Hamill. There's a definite creepiness to the character, he learned the style so well. Much more of a twisted sense of humor than Ledger's did IMO. Yeah, Heath can kill a guy with a pencil and send a dead fake batman flying into the side of a building, but in terms of the actual Joker from the comics, Hamill reaches it just a bit further than him

Old 07-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #43
Superman Prime
The Quantum Enigma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
I disagree. Heath Ledger's Joker is far more terrifying than Mark Hamill's Joker was.
We'd agree if it weren't for "Return of the Joker". There were some legitimately disturbing Joker moments in that film, especially centering around the flash-back of when he captured Robin.

Superman Prime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:16 AM   #44
Knight Rise
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman Prime View Post
We'd agree if it weren't for "Return of the Joker". There were some legitimately disturbing Joker moments in that film, especially centering around the flash-back of when he captured Robin.
Oh man, i forgot about the Batman Beyond movie! That was definitely a insane Joker, watching him attack Bruce

Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #45
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Well, Hamill has never been a good actor to begin with. Doesn't mean he didn't do a good voice for animated Joker, but I seriously doubt he can do anything that can actually compete with Ledger. Or Nicholson for that matter. Anyone remember his Trickster character from The Flash TV series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Absolutely.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #46
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

I never got why people are always wanting voice over actors to do the live action versions. Just let it be what it is and enjoy it.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:51 PM   #47
Knight Rise
Banned User

Whatever does happen on that matter, I feel Mark's Joker was more playfully psychotic than Heaths. When I watched TDK, it didnt seem like a Joker having fun or just forming it in a humorus way. I would've loved a laugh when he sat up from the table to attack Gambol. He keeps saying "Why so serious?" when he's actually a serious character...

Old 07-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #48
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Well, Hamill has never been a good actor to begin with. Doesn't mean he didn't do a good voice for animated Joker, but I seriously doubt he can do anything that can actually compete with Ledger. Or Nicholson for that matter. Anyone remember his Trickster character from The Flash TV series?
This is true. Voice acting and live action acting are two entirely different things.

Quote:
Whatever does happen on that matter, I feel Mark's Joker was more playfully psychotic than Heaths. When I watched TDK, it didnt seem like a Joker having fun or just forming it in a humorus way. I would've loved a laugh when he sat up from the table to attack Gambol. He keeps saying "Why so serious?" when he's actually a serious character...
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

He laughed plenty. He said Why so serious because he was recounting a story of what his father said to him. He wasn't actually asking Gambol why he was being serious lol.

- The Joker
Old 07-07-2011, 02:22 PM   #49
Knight Rise
Banned User

That's not what I'm saying. He wasn't a fun Joker when he needed to be. At Prewitt, as soon as Batman popped up, I could imagine Joker building a growing laugh as he turns slowly, his eyes wild. All he did was sick the hounds on him and attack him with a steel pole. And he wasnt enjoying it. When the fireworks were supposed to go off, Joker could've sent a HUGE laugh and then slowly come to realization. He just watched it.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #50
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

He was a fun Joker when he needed to be. Whether he was sipping the guests champagne, stealing the hor dourves, dressing up as a nurse, going into a laughing fit when his own henchman gets electrocuted etc.

"All the old familiar places" he quips as he attacks Batman with the steel bar at the Prewitt building. He was very clearly enjoying it. We even catch him smiling when comes at Batman:

The Joker wouldn't have laughed UNTIL he saw the fireworks go off. He laughed when Batman threw him off the building because he thought he'd succeeded in corrupting Batman. Joker laughs when there's something to laugh at.

- The Joker