The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Transformers > Transformers: Dark of the Moon

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #51
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,503
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell110 View Post
Only Voltron.
Thundercats was anime too, since its animation was done by Japanese artists. There are other series like Robotech (Macross), and older series like Astro Boy and Speed Racer that you probably didn't realize were anime to begin with, and if you watched Cartoon Network's Adult Swim then you probably saw other anime shows like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Gundam MS08.

Anyway, as for the topic at hand, I think Optimus Prime had to right to kill Decepticons since technically it was for self-defense (after Decepticons were in a position to destroy the humanity), but the lines that he uttered like "We will kill them all" and to pretty much execute Sentinel Prime when he was essentially begging for his life and in a non-threatening position does made him seemed a bit...out of character. I just don't like to see the Autobots being rather helpless without Prime's presence, though; I thought they made Optimus Prime too powerful and others not enough.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #52
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick
 
sto_vo_kor_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,039
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Thundercats was anime too, since its animation was done by Japanese artists.
Sorry but your wrong about that.

Thundercats, like the origanal Transformers cartoon, is an American produced cartoon.

Being animated by Japanese artist is not the way to mesure if a show is "anime".

Its who is producing and writting.

__________________
Today is a good day to die...
sto_vo_kor_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #53
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,503
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 View Post
Sorry but your wrong about that.

Thundercats, like the origanal Transformers cartoon, is an American produced cartoon.

Being animated by Japanese artist is not the way to mesure if a show is "anime".

Its who is producing and writting.
Thundercats has that anime style found in other Japanimation series, just like the recent Marvel Anime series that are to be released on G4. It shouldn't matter if it was written by American writers or not. By your token, if He-Man was written by Japanese writers, it should be considered an anime series?

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #54
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick
 
sto_vo_kor_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,039
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Thundercats has that anime style found in other Japanimation series, just like the recent Marvel Anime series that are to be released on G4.
Having a style and being the actual thing are 2 different things.

And the Marvel Anime is being written and produced for the Japanese market.The characters and stories are being re-invented and introduced for a Japanese audience first.
Quote:
It shouldn't matter if it was written by American writers or not.
It certainly does.The show was wrtitten and produced by an American company with the American masrket in mind, it took its cues from American culture in how it was presented.

Quote:
By your token, if He-Man was written by Japanese writers, it should be considered an anime series?
If it was written and produced by a Japanese company, with a Japasnese market in mind then it would be anime.

DBZ, Pokeymon, Death note fit that bill, even Marvel anime fits that bill because Marvel is leaving all the creative aspects of the shows to Japanese writers and producers so they can " re-imagine" the marvel characters.

The original Transformers and Thundercats dont fit the "anime" lable because they were written and produced by an American company with an American market in mind and took its cultral cues from American cuture.

The fact that they out sourced the animation to a Japanese animation studio does not make them "anime".

__________________
Today is a good day to die...

Last edited by sto_vo_kor_2000; 07-11-2011 at 03:11 PM.
sto_vo_kor_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:18 PM   #55
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 15,157
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

If it's animated in Japan, why would it not be considered anime? Where do you draw the line? What if half the writing staff was Japanese? How many writers have to be Japanese for it to be considered anime? Seems like an arbitrary definition.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #56
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,901
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
If it's animated in Japan, why would it not be considered anime? Where do you draw the line? What if half the writing staff was Japanese? How many writers have to be Japanese for it to be considered anime? Seems like an arbitrary definition.
80% of US animation is outsourced to Asian companies.
It's only CG and crappy flash that's done around these parts.

__________________
Stephen Lang for Cable, the most obvious casting in cbm history.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #57
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,503
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 View Post
Having a style and being the actual thing are 2 different things.

And the Marvel Anime is being written and produced for the Japanese market.The characters and stories are being re-invented and introduced for a Japanese audience first.
It certainly does.The show was wrtitten and produced by an American company with the American masrket in mind, it took its cues from American culture in how it was presented.



If it was written and produced by a Japanese company, with a Japasnese market in mind then it would be anime.

DBZ, Pokeymon, Death note fit that bill, even Marvel anime fits that bill because Marvel is leaving all the creative aspects of the shows to Japanese writers and producers so they can " re-imagine" the marvel characters.

The original Transformers and Thundercats dont fit the "anime" lable because they were written and produced by an American company with an American market in mind and took its cultral cues from American cuture.

The fact that they out sourced the animation to a Japanese animation studio does not make them "anime".
Yes it does, because anime should be considered as an art style and not based on who wrote or produced the said animation. Here's what I found from Wikipedia re: anime that echos how I felt:

Quote:
English-language dictionaries define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or as "a style of animation developed in Japan"

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:39 PM   #58
Marvin
Side-Kick
 
Marvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Toronto
Posts: 16,901
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Justice League isn't anime by any stretch of the imagination.

__________________
Stephen Lang for Cable, the most obvious casting in cbm history.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:48 PM   #59
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick
 
sto_vo_kor_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,039
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Yes it does, because anime should be considered as an art style and not based on who wrote or produced the said animation
No it shouldnt because art styles can be copied and are open to viewer intepertation.

There are many people that can paint in the style ofLeonardo da Vinci....but the works of those people wouldnt be considered the work of the man himself.

Quote:
Here's what I found from Wikipedia re: anime that echos how I felt:
funny that you only post what you think helps your argument.

From the first sentence on Wikipedia's page on Anime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime
Quote:
Anime is commonly defined as animation originating in Japan.

__________________
Today is a good day to die...
sto_vo_kor_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #60
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars
 
Raiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,503
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sto_vo_kor_2000 View Post
No it shouldnt because art styles can be copied and are open to viewer intepertation.

There are many people that can paint in the style ofLeonardo da Vinci....but the works of those people wouldnt be considered the work of the man himself.
Yes, anime style can be copied, which would also be considered anime in terms of influence. Japanimation has many different styles, but whether if it's from Dragonball or City Hunter they all have distinctive style you found in Japan. Thundercats do have that style, from the look of the characters to the signature kinetic action sequences you usually found in other Japanimation shows, that's why I think they can be qualified as anime. It's like Disney has their own styles, and we can usually trace the look of modern cartoons or shows back to the old Disney if they were influenced by it. I shouldn't have to look up to see who the writer and the producer of an anime before deciding if they can be "qualified" as anime or not.

As for the da Vinci thing...I think modern artists can certainly copy his artwork and styles, just like they can with Monte, Van Gough, and other legendary artists. If we see an artwork that copies da Vinci's signature style, we would give credit where credit is due, and that is da Vinci, not the artist who copies his style, won't we?

Quote:
funny that you only post what you think helps your argument.

From the first sentence on Wikipedia's page on Anime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anime
Going back to the Thundercats argument, I believe its art style can be traced back to Japan, where the style was originated from. That means it should be considered as anime. I don't see how this line contradicts my statement. You think that line means the animation must be made in Japan only, but only applies to the writer and producer, but not the artists.

And one more thing: If writer and producer alone determine whether an animation can be called an anime or not, then Marvel shouldn't have called their upcoming animated series as "X-Men Anime", "Iron Man Anime", etc., since they may have hired Japanese artists who drawn Marvel superheroes in anime style, but the rest belong to Marvel.

Anyway, I think in the end, we can agree to disagree re: this topic.

__________________
"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America

Last edited by Raiden; 07-11-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #61
sto_vo_kor_2000
Side-Kick
 
sto_vo_kor_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,039
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Yes, anime style can be copied, which would also be considered anime in terms of influence.
It can be considered "anime like" but not true anime.

Quote:
Thundercats do have that style, from the look of the characters to the signature kinetic action sequences you usually found in other Japanimation shows, that's why I think they can be qualified as anime.
Again qulified as "anime like" not true anime.Besides, some of what you just cited as influanced by anime I wouldnt.

Thats why its a perception argument.

Quote:
It's like Disney has their own styles, and we can usually trace the look of modern cartoons or shows back to the old Disney if they were influenced by it.
Influenced maybe, but you wouldnt call those works the work of Disney studios.
Quote:
As for the da Vinci thing...I think modern artists can certainly copy his artwork and styles, just like they can with Monte, Van Gough, and other legendary artists. If we see an artwork that copies da Vinci's signature style, we would give credit where credit is due, and that is da Vinci, not the artist who copies his style, won't we?
And that credit would be addressed by saying da Vinci [who ever] inspired/influanced the artist.

But we wouldnt say da Vinci [who ever] was the artist.

In saying Thundercats is anime you are saying the copycat is an originasl.

It is nmot, Thundercats may have been indpired by anime, but it is not anime.

Quote:
I don't see how this line contradicts my statement. You think that line means the animation must be made in Japan only, but only applies to the writer and producer, but not the artists.
It contradict your statement because it applies to the product as a whole.

Anime is not just the artist, writer or producer but the product itself as a whole.
Quote:
And one more thing: If writer and producer alone determine whether an animation can be called an anime or not, then Marvel shouldn't have called their upcoming animated series as "X-Men Anime", "Iron Man Anime", etc., since they may have hired Japanese artists who drawn Marvel superheroes in anime style, but the rest belong to Marvel.
Actully the rest does not belong to Marvel.

Marvel has given these studios all rights to rre-create these characters to fit their Market.

Marvel has no creative control.Yes, they own the characters....but they arent involved in the creative process

Quote:
Anyway, I think in the end, we can agree to disagree re: this topic.
thats kool

__________________
Today is a good day to die...
sto_vo_kor_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:47 AM   #62
Bumblebeee
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Transformer optimus Prime




Bumblebeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #63
LostSon88
Side-Kick
 
LostSon88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: BAY AREA!!!!
Posts: 8,412
Default Re: Optimus Prime's characterization (Spoilers)

Watching it again for the first time in months I realized something...

By the end of the movie, Optimus seems to have gone completely bat**** crazy.

I mean, he's completely lost it.

It's actually pretty funny.

LostSon88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.