The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 07-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #51
GoblinWhirlwind
Calibrations

Default Re: The Official Zack Snyder Thread - Part 3

I wish someone in the know would come out and say when to expect the first shot, like they did with the TDKR teaser and poster.

- Garrus

deviantart: http://jbot-photography.deviantart.com/

GoblinWhirlwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #52
sethypants
Banned User

I was really concerned at how Zack Snyder would bring MOS to glory so i managed to watch the DVD release of sucker punch.

To my surprise, the graphics was amazing, the full on action scene in the movie was spectacular. But what was lacking was a good plot. the movie was terrible in many sense. It was a novelty film to project a fantasy action film, imagined by a girl, but I find the plot really stale. All in all i'm glad Zack Snyder would not be writing or producing the film, but directing it instead and i can't wait to see what he'll do to MOS. If he could create such amazing fight scene and graphics with just 82 mil, imagine what he can do with 170 mil.

sethypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #53
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethypants View Post
I was really concerned at how Zack Snyder would bring MOS to glory so i managed to watch the DVD release of sucker punch.

To my surprise, the graphics was amazing, the full on action scene in the movie was spectacular. But what was lacking was a good plot. the movie was terrible in many sense. It was a novelty film to project a fantasy action film, imagined by a girl, but I find the plot really stale. All in all i'm glad Zack Snyder would not be writing or producing the film, but directing it instead and i can't wait to see what he'll do to MOS. If he could create such amazing fight scene and graphics with just 82 mil, imagine what he can do with 170 mil.
Yeah his talents definitely lie in directing rather than writing. But I did like the 'idea' of Sucker Punch.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:59 AM   #54
Superman_20
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethypants View Post

Snyder as a director is very good. "Dawn of the Dead", "300", "Watchmen" were all well directed movies and the problem with "Sucker Punch" was just that, the story but not the visuals or directing. For a movie to be able to excite the audience needs to have those moments that are exciting and have that combination of flare and great music. He has a touch for the more dramatic scenes of a movie so I am sure he'll do fine with Superman.

Superman_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #55
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I do really hope he eases up on the slow mo. Watchmen us only 85 when all at normal speed. Once or twice won't be bad though.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:07 AM   #56
SuperDaniel
Banned User

I actually thought the story was pretty cool, especially the extended version.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:11 AM   #57
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Just thought i'd say, Sucker Punch has really grown on me after a second viewing.

It's not perfect in a lot of ways... but I really like it actually.
Sucker Punch is one of those films that you really have to "get" before you can really enjoy it, as far as the story goes. The visuals were outstanding to be sure of, but I think a lot of the hate comes from the fact that a lot of people just don't get it. And when people don't get it, they automatically says it sucks. I realize that there are some people that do get it and still say it sucks, but you get what I mean. Does that make sense?

Kryptonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #58
SuperDaniel
Banned User

I think a lot of people are dumb and need a simple story spelled out in front of them in order for them to understand the movie. They can't get the metaphors and different realities of the movie.

SuperDaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:44 PM   #59
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDaniel View Post
I think a lot of people are dumb and need a simple story spelled out in front of them in order for them to understand the movie. They can't get the metaphors and different realities of the movie.
I don't believe that they are necessarily dumb. In some cases, I'm sure that's what it is, but in others, I believe that people are just too lazy to figure things out for themselves.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:48 PM   #60
JAKŪ
Upstart

I haven't seen Sucker Punch, although I'm a Zack Snyder fan. And while I would love to think that it's a better film than people claim, saying that people are just too stupid to understand it isn't really endearing me to your point of view.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #61
Kryptonian Warrior
The Dawn Is Upon Us
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
I haven't seen Sucker Punch, although I'm a Zack Snyder fan. And while I would love to think that it's a better film than people claim, saying that people are just too stupid to understand it isn't really endearing me to your point of view.
Yeah, it's one of those movies where you REALLY have to pay attention to what's going on to really understand it. I would highly recommend the Extended Cut as there are some extended scenes that helps things make more sense.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM   #62
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Sucker Punch is awful....ranks alongside the likes of Dragonball Evolution and The last Airbender. It's the kind of film that isn't even "so bad it's good". It's just......a mediocre vapid bore.
I don't mind it too much when a movie is little more than a vehicle for action or visual effects set pieces (or dance numbers for that matter).....but you've got to have some kind of vague character development or narrative to tie them in.
Costume changes do not substitute for character development, and a change of scenery does not mean you have a plot.

Ultimately i do not think SuckerPunch should worry anyone about Man of steel though, because all it really has proven to me is that Snyder can make even the most boring mediocre story look gorgeous and striking in his own unique way, and he should stay as far away from the typewriter as possible....at least as long as he's not basing it on a pre-existing story.
The story and screenplay for this movie was co-created by Chris Nolan and David Goyer....and Snyder is going to be in charge of bringing that to life.....

So it's going to be AWESOME.

sepharih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #63
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepharih View Post
Sucker Punch is awful....ranks alongside the likes of Dragonball Evolution
um....DBE is on it's own level. the only other movie that even approaches DBE's level of mishandling is SF: Legend of Chun-Li but it's not even close. i personally didn't care for Sucker Punch, but it was handled MUCH better than DBE was.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #64
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RouthIsSuperman View Post
Sucker Punch is one of those films that you really have to "get" before you can really enjoy it, as far as the story goes. The visuals were outstanding to be sure of, but I think a lot of the hate comes from the fact that a lot of people just don't get it. And when people don't get it, they automatically says it sucks. I realize that there are some people that do get it and still say it sucks, but you get what I mean. Does that make sense?
Snyder actually said the same thing in an interview I watched the other day.

That basically the people who were giving it bad reviews hadn't actually even commented on the point of the movie, whereas the people who had picked up on the fact it was a comment on genre and filmgoing in general, had given it good reviews.

For me, the reason it's lacking isn't because I didn't get it. I totally get it, which is why I say I think the 'idea' of the film is fantastic.

But other than Babydoll, I found I didn't care about the other characters. I didn't care when they died.

And it's also really hard to engage with action and get excited when there is no real threat... You know it's a fantasy, so there's no tension.

That's what made the film a little 'boring' and why the first time I watched it, I wasn't engaged enough to finish it. I just didn't really care what happened, and I think once you've watched at least half of it, you've kind of already got the point of it in a way.

That said, I'm glad I did watch to the end, because I found the ending with babydoll after the lobotomy one of the most exciting bits, and having Sweet Pea be the only one to escape was a nice twist, and fit the character they'd establised her to be (she didn't really belong lost).

It's gorgeous visually (if a little video gamey at times), cast very well, and it's an exciting and original idea.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 07-13-2011, 07:54 AM   #65
JAKŪ
Upstart

A film can have a message but it can still be a bad movie.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 AM   #66
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
um....DBE is on it's own level. the only other movie that even approaches DBE's level of mishandling is SF: Legend of Chun-Li but it's not even close. i personally didn't care for Sucker Punch, but it was handled MUCH better than DBE was.
The only thing Suckerpunch has over DBE's head is sheer production values. For all it's problems (and there are uncountable ones), DBE from a purely technical filmaking standpoint in many ways is better than Suckerpunch for the simple fact that it has things like: character development, a narrative, a clearly established antagonist, etc.
Now I will in no way argue that all of those items were any way other then horrendously....but at least they were handled.
Conversely, suckerpunch rambles incohrenently back and forth with no coherent story or growth to it's characters at all.
They were both some of the worst movies I've seen recently.

Quote:
"Lady in the Water" comes to mind.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM   #67
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I know. Having a message to "get" doesn't automatically make yours a good movie.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #68
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
, DBE from a purely technical filmaking standpoint in many ways is better than Suckerpunch for the simple fact that it has things like: character development, a narrative, a clearly established antagonist, etc.
Now I will in no way argue that all of those items were any way other then horrendously....but at least they were handled.
Conversely, suckerpunch rambles incohrenently back and forth with no coherent story or growth to it's characters at all.
In fairness, some of the greatest 'films' of all time have had non linear narratives and no definite establishment of character.

I get that it doesn't work like that for Hollywood films, but if Snyder had put this idea into an arthouse film, or an independant film, maybe we'd be looking at it differently and it'd be a cult classic... But then maybe it wouldn't have had all the cool effects.

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 07-13-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:37 AM   #69
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
In fairness, some of the greatest 'films' of all time have had non linear narratives and definite establishment of character.

I get that it doesn't work like that for Hollywood films, but if Snyder had put this idea into an arthouse film, or an independant film, maybe we'd be looking at it differently and it'd be a cult classic... But then maybe it wouldn't have had all the cool effects.
And what's Sucker Punch without the cool effects...?

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #70
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

A quirky arthouse style movie about retreating into your fantasies in order to find inner strength... Did you watch the film on mute or something?

Old 07-13-2011, 10:59 AM   #71
sepharih
Resident Censor Hater

Quote:
In fairness, some of the greatest 'films' of all time have had non linear narratives and definite establishment of character.
This is a fair point....that being said, while I enjoy his work, Snyder is no Tarantino.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:06 AM   #72
KRIM
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Something that's not Sucker Punch.

I never quite understood this type of hypothetical question. Taking away a piece of an entity's identity, effectively alters its whole to the point where it wouldn't be what it originally was. So why bother asking?

KRIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #73
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
This is a fair point....that being said, while I enjoy his work, Snyder is no Tarantino.
No, obviously not. I was saying that I don't think those tactics in a movie mean the director is not talented... It's just a matter of taste.

*\S/T*
Old 07-13-2011, 11:36 AM   #74
Superman2007
Side-Kick

Quote:
A Lunesta substitute.

Sucker Punch is the worst film I've seen this year. I went in really wanting to like it and down-playing the critics' reviews. They were right though, and I was left begging for this movie to be over. I guess I should've walked out, but I waited 'til the very end, just hoping that something would redeem the film on some level.

Superman2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM   #75
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
a better film

i was more intrigued by the non action scenes of sucker punch

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote