The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 07-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #26
Blader5489
CASUAL SEX!

Default Re: Don payne writing thor 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
That, and remember this: Zak Penn is not a good writer. But, he wrote TIH's early drafts. TIH was a good movie. If they can get enough out of Penn to touch it up into a good script, same can be done for Don Payne.
Norton heavily rewrote Penn's draft.

Blader5489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #27
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blader5489 View Post
Norton heavily rewrote Penn's draft.
Yes he did. I am sure Don Payne's draft will be heavily rewritten, too.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #28
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Well Protosevich did a damn good job on the first draft, I don't see why not give him another chance now that everything is layed out

Agree with this 100%. Why the heck not Marvel? I say Protosevich SHOULD be the one to map out Thor's sequel. I mean, come on! He loves Thor.

ThorThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #29
Episode29
Hooper Drives The Boat!

It befuddles me why Marvel keeps turning to Penn and Payne. I'm guessing because they're easily controlled and closely tied to the company. For some reason, bold outside talent = bad in the Marvel Studios-verse. They really need to be drawing exciting, talented writers into their stable and not relying on the same safe lackies.

This multiple writer business is also problematic. They managed to get away with it on Thor - although few would call the film a masterpiece in any way, shape or form - but too many cooks in the kitchen spells disaster. *Cough* Green Lantern *Cough*. Choose smart right off the bat and the last minute clean-up crew wouldn't be necessary.

Episode29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 AM   #30
JAK®
Upstart

Zak Penn writes scripts that are cheap to film.

JAK® is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 AM   #31
ThorThunderGod
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Episode29 View Post
It befuddles me why Marvel keeps turning to Penn and Payne. I'm guessing because they're easily controlled and closely tied to the company. For some reason, bold outside talent = bad in the Marvel Studios-verse. They really need to be drawing exciting, talented writers into their stable and not relying on the same safe lackies.

This multiple writer business is also problematic. They managed to get away with it on Thor - although few would call the film a masterpiece in any way, shape or form - but too many cooks in the kitchen spells disaster. *Cough* Green Lantern *Cough*. Choose smart right off the bat and the last minute clean-up crew wouldn't be necessary.

Yeah. Probably the same way they rely on Chris Yost for their animated flicks, that has always "befuddled" me, too.

And I also agree about Thor not being a masterpiece. Well, let me clarify that, I did like Thor. No-no, I LOVED Thor. Seriously. Buuuut, somehow, there was something missing in the dialogue, you know? The Asgard stuffs were great. But on the Earth scenes? I dunno. I kind of wish there was some more, ummmm, "gravitas" (that word has been used often in that movie by movie critics). There funny lines, and with multiple viewings, I have seen how different crowds reacted similarly to the same scenes (you know, "I want a horse", "we have a robin hood, xena, jacky chan"), but the Earth scenes lacked weight (except when Thor was about to die, now, THAT has got me choked up every single time). So, yeah, I am agreeing with you, I think they SHOULD improve on the writing this time around, and I hope they wouldn't skimp out on the fight scenes (the Destroyer in under 10 seconds, really?).

ThorThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #32
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorThunderGod View Post
I hope they wouldn't skimp out on the fight scenes (the Destroyer in under 10 seconds, really?).
Heck yeah, I think the fight scenes in Thor were pretty good but they can DEFINATLEY improve on them in Thor 2.

I mean it's Thor, not only is he a powerhouse himself but he also has some very powerful/skilled villains in his enemy list.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:35 AM   #33
Nokio
Side-Kick

I wouldn't worry about this this guy so much because writers have to write with in the confines of what the studio wants. Fox probably had a checklist of what they wanted and the man didn't have free reign. Studios also say this is gonna cost to much, go back and rewrite, then they bring in other writers for cost effectiveness. I could go on and I could be wrong on this but it most
often is the case. Look at GL. That movie looked like it reeked of studio interference and the suits wanted a checklist of things put in.

I just cant imagine Marvel hiring this guy unless they saw something in him.

To play Devil's advocate for a sec, studios would rather hire a proven writer or director who's had some success in the past despite that person making a mediocre product instead of taking a risk with new talent.

Last edited by Nokio; 07-13-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Nokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:38 AM   #34
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

I just don't think Don is a very good writer. The writing was not the strong point of Thor, to be honest.

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Last edited by Hurm...; 08-03-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote