The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #401
TDK Joker
Float On

Default Re: Captain America: Super Soldier (The Video Game)

I just platinumed this. It was pretty fun, much, MUCH better then the Thor and Green Lantern games. The story is fine and I thought the graphics were pretty good.
You can quite clearly see the influence it's had from Arkham Asylum. The combat is the biggest similarity although the free flow really doesn't work anywhere near as well as in AA.
Chris Evans was very good as Cap and the game has definitely made me even more excited for the film.
However, like many of you gave said, definitely rent it or wait until the price is much lower as it is very short. I got it in Friday and completed it 100% today in one playthrough. Luckily I got it on Amazon at the lowest price I had seen it for at £25.
Some of the trophies/achievements are pretty strange in comparison to Cap as a character. Like what has been mentioned on IGN, collecting ceramic eggs (and a rooster at one point!) and smashing statues and causing explosions. But if you are a fan of collecting trophies or achievements, they are all very simple to get.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #402
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

I've been playing this game. Its pretty good. Very good actually. The best superhero game SEGA has made.

Hopefully they got the developers that made this to make the Avengers game.

Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:24 PM   #403
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

I'll say that this game was somewhat a step in the right direction for Sega, it DID borrow elements from Arkham Asylum, but all in all it's a pretty solid title. Hell, you can't really beat that, the game came out at 49.99, traded in some old games that I wasnt playing anymore.

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #404
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

This game is a nice break away from sega's other games, its pretty fresh and fun, now to see if thq, can pull off the avengers game.

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.
Gamma Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #405
BizarroAids
Heh

I don't know how Cap fits all these collectables in his pockets/pouches.

SMALLVILLE
2001-2011
BizarroAids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 PM   #406
Simo
Side-Kick

Been playing on 360 for a couple of hours now...really solid so far. Cap's animations and movement could be faster and yeah it obviously rips on Arkham Asylum but it's still oh so much fun especially the combat.

You start off with a small arsenal of moves but once you begin upgrading the combat opens up more given more counters, moves and special moves that combat hasn't gotten repetitive...yet.

Gamestop gave me a swanky pair of 3D glasses which surprised me because I thought the 3D was just for 3D enabled TVs but you can actually play it in 3D on regular HDTV sets, so I gave it try on the first mission and the effect was pretty cool with the 3D effect being the mortars flying overhead Cap.

Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:33 PM   #407
Alchemyst
Sarah Connor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizarroAids View Post
I don't know how Cap fits all these collectables in his pockets/pouches.
That has been the ongoing joke at my house today lol, somebody should get on the radio

"Cap, be sure to destroy those turrets, and by the way, don't be stealing ****"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Been playing on 360 for a couple of hours now...really solid so far. Cap's animations and movement could be faster and yeah it obviously rips on Arkham Asylum but it's still oh so much fun especially the combat.

You start off with a small arsenal of moves but once you begin upgrading the combat opens up more given more counters, moves and special moves that combat hasn't gotten repetitive...yet.

Gamestop gave me a swanky pair of 3D glasses which surprised me because I thought the 3D was just for 3D enabled TVs but you can actually play it in 3D on regular HDTV sets, so I gave it try on the first mission and the effect was pretty cool with the 3D effect being the mortars flying overhead Cap.
Im gonna try those out right now

People on the net would argue about the sky being blue if all other subjects were exhausted. The last suit was beautiful and if how it was made is a problem for them, I suggest they start watching docu-dramas about nuns in the war. You can suspend disbelief about flying and laser eyes and blue men with small penises being able to see time as a whole, but you can't let slide about how someone stitches a leotard. The mind boggles.
Alchemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:11 AM   #408
Iron_Stark
I'm hooked on a feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
This game is a nice break away from sega's other games, its pretty fresh and fun, now to see if thq, can pull off the avengers game.
Is it confirmed they're doing the Avengers game??

Guardians of the Galaxy - August 1, 2014
The Avengers 2 - May 1, 2015
Iron Man will return
Iron_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #409
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I really want Volition to do the Avengers game, so we can basically get a Saints Row style co-op free roam game. Wishful thinking, and it's not going to happen, but that would make my brain explode.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:24 PM   #410
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

EDIT: Triple post

Last edited by Wolvieboy17; 07-20-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Wolvieboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #411
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

EDIT: Triple post

Last edited by Wolvieboy17; 07-20-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Wolvieboy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:48 AM   #412
jacobed
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

At first I wasn't liking the combat too much but that is because I have the tactical vision turned off so I was having trouble countering but now that I have it down, I love the combat in this game. In fact there are parts of it that I love more than Arkham Asylum.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:00 AM   #413
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Stark View Post
Is it confirmed they're doing the Avengers game??
I'm not certain if it got confirmed but I do remember reading something that said they'd be doing it.

Greatness lies, not in being strong, but in the right using of strength; and strength is not used rightly when it serves only to carry a man above his fellows for his own solitary glory. He is the greatest whose strength carries up the most hearts by the attraction of his own.
Gamma Goliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:01 AM   #414
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I kinda agree. I actually think the quick shield throw option is integrated better into the combat than some of the gadgets in Arkham.

The Cap game is missing a lot of detail though. The environment feels very last gen in sections, and they haven't put any effort into making it feel like a deep environment. Also, a lot of video game cliches that are just there because, like numerous collectibles and pointless destructables, like statues etc. And maybe HYDRA would have more success as an evil organisation if they didn't just leave all their confidential dossiers just lying around everywhere, like kitchen tables, street footpaths etc :P

Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 AM   #415
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I believe on one of the merch things, THQ was listed among other names like Disney and Hasbro

Old 07-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #416
jacobed
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Strictly speaking combat wise, I prefer Cap's shield integration over AA, I love how he can instantly counter out of any move where in Batman if you were ground pounding you couldn't counter out of that and you'd be screwed. I like the whole using an enemies weapon. The best part of this game is having an upgraded shield and double tapping that right trigger. The ricochet in this game is so fantastic and its fun every single time you do it. I'm interested to see how great this game could have been if Sega said hey you know what guys take some time and we'll release the game when the movie releases later this year. There is a really solid base here to do some damage in a sequel if they really wanted to.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #417
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

See, it kinda frustrates me in a way because it was a perfect combat system for Cap but it's trapped in a mediocre game.

I felt the same way with the first IM game. He looked great, and it felt so damn awesome to take off and shoot into the sky, zipping around. That felt totally like Iron Man, but then the game itself was garbage. Imagine this... (Btw, I'll preface this as obviously wishful thinking)

Imagine a free roam Avengers game, set in NY, that's 4 players online co-op, where each playable Avenger (Cap, IM, Hulk Thor) plays exactly like their best game counterparts, so Super Soldier combat for Cap, flight for IM, Hulk Ultimate Destruction style for Hulk and....well, I guess Thor would have to be made awesome from scratch lol

That is the game I hope we get one day.... All I want is an epic, free roam Marvel co-op game

Old 07-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #418
Superhero 101
DESI

^^
And cap can ride on his harley!!! Wolvieboy we both need to be working at Sega or Activision!!

Old 07-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #419
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Or evidently, THQ :P That would be great. I've been wanting a co-op Superhero free roam game for ages. I always have a hell of a lot of fun in any open world co-op game, and with Superheroes being my favourite thing, it's always seemed like a no brainer

Old 07-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #420
Simo
Side-Kick

Just completed the game and I got to say, it was pretty damn good in the end to the point I'd say for the price point go ahead and pick it up.

Sure, with a bigger budget and more time Super Soldier could of been a AAA title but as it is, it's one of the best movie tie-in games I've played and fun to boot.

Now I'm just playing my through the challenges but I'm also missing one of Zola's reels and I can't find it on any of the maps...?

Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:29 AM   #421
The Slang
Side-Kick

I had a great time playing Captain America: super soldier. This game gets the character of Captain America to appeal to me more than any medium before, and it feels awesome to be in control of his shield and abilities. I'd greatly appreciate another one of these games with some features improved upon.

The Slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #422
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

I played this a while back, I really enjoyed this game, it had a few bland moments, but it was never tedious, thank goodness. The shield was a lot of fun, and the combat kept things snappy, and the acrobatics broke things up just enough.

I agree with earlier comments it could have used a bitter canvas to play on, and the pace and linearity of the unlockables was not up to par. I think one of the greatest achievements would have been to put controlling NPCs as a leader into the game, that would have been awesome! They tried to put that aspect of the character into cutscenes, but it was clunky, imho.

Still, it was a great game to play. Would play the sequel.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #423
superman61413
Side-Kick

Does anyone play the DS version of Super Soldier? Is it me or was the game fun.

superman61413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #424
Steamteck
Side-Kick

I wish it was on PC. I'm not a console guy.

Steamteck is offline   Reply With Quote