The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-21-2011, 10:30 PM   #76
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Default Re: The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post
I'm surprised the tomatometer with the top critics is higher thhe main tomato percentage.
I thought the same thing. It is better this way though then the other way around because Top Critics will most likely reach a broader audience. Therefore their opinions have a greater chance of helping this movie make money.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #77
Surfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwarf Slayer View Post

What obligation does Warner Bros have to promote another studio's movie? If Cap fails because it didn't have a trailer in front of Harry Potter (although my screening did) and Rotten Tomatoes, then that's Paramount's fault. Acting as if this is some kind of conspiracy by Warner Bros to undermine Captain America's success is just ridiculous and makes you come off as paranoid. I suppose WB was also responsible for Paramount starting its marketing campaign so late?
I never said it was a conspiracy, I simply think it is one competing company using the resources it has to try and make sure its movie comes out ahead a second week in a row. If you read more into it then that I apologize.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."

Last edited by Surfer; 07-21-2011 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #78
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godman View Post
Like why would those guys with the flame throwers just surround him with fire instead of straight up roast him head on. he couldnt have survived that so i dont get it in movies sometimes how they give up logic for a cool angle or what not. anyway...we'll see. ill be honest about my feelings on it after a viewing
They give up logic a lot in Inception, but I'm not trying to start an argument so I'll just leave it at that. And besides, they're not trying to kill him, they're trying to capture him.

Last edited by JB-the-Hunter; 07-21-2011 at 10:49 PM.
JB-the-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:54 PM   #79
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
i stans corrected...this is one of the great attributes of being mature. we accept our faults. For the first time i stand corrected about RT. I still have a huge fear about how i may feel after midnight showing since it has been compared to Thor by many or slightly better and to me that is far from a good thing as Thor is MEDIOCRE as hell. I personally am not a fan of comic book movies that are not above 80% ive realised. I tried to like Thor, but yeesh it was too campy for me and i pray Cap Am isnt that way too. based on the clips im not impressed at all, but lets see.

Like why would those guys with the flame throwers just surround him with fire instead of straight up roast him head on. he couldnt have survived that so i dont get it in movies sometimes how they give up logic for a cool angle or what not. anyway...we'll see. ill be honest about my feelings on it after a viewing
You again? You'll only watch CBM's with an RT of 80% or better?

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:56 PM   #80
Surfer

The movie should be starting in about 10 minutes for people on the east coast. So maybe we will get their opinions if lucky in a little over 2 hours. Provided of course they don't just crash when they get home.

Surfer

Old 07-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #81
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
They give up logic a lot in Inception, but I'm not trying to start an argument so I'll just leave it at that. And besides, they're not trying to kill him, they're trying to capture him.
Seriously I dunno why Godman even bothers. His comments keep getting more foolish. "Why didn't they just roast him?" RUFFALOLZ ....

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:59 PM   #82
Gamma Burst
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
You again? You'll only watch CBM's with an RT of 80% or better?

LOL. Btw, Thor is great, and I bet Cap won't be different.

Gamma Burst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #83
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
i stans corrected...this is one of the great attributes of being mature. we accept our faults. For the first time i stand corrected about RT. I still have a huge fear about how i may feel after midnight showing since it has been compared to Thor by many or slightly better and to me that is far from a good thing as Thor is MEDIOCRE as hell. I personally am not a fan of comic book movies that are not above 80% ive realised. I tried to like Thor, but yeesh it was too campy for me and i pray Cap Am isnt that way too. based on the clips im not impressed at all, but lets see.

Perhaps the guys with flamethrowers had orders from the Red Skull to capture Cap, not kill him. Not having seen the movie yet I can't say for sure, but that's what occurred to me. Realize that we see these clips without the necessary context to judge what is occurring.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #84
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
good debate, but as i recall in the clip they were shooting at him prior to those flame throwers. what logic in inception was broken within itself?

Godman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #85
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Perhaps the guys with flamethrowers had orders from the Red Skull to capture Cap, not kill him. Not having seen the movie yet I can't say for sure, but that's what occurred to me. Realize that we see these clips without the necessary context to judge what is occurring.
agreed. i did think of that. i pray ur on the money, as that really bothered me as goofy

Godman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #86
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinson View Post
LOL. Btw, Thor is great, and I bet Cap won't be different.
Yeah man f*** the critics, Thor gets a 90% in my books

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 PM   #87
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

This is an amazingly unpredictable film, with regard to many critic's reactions.
eg: Owen Gleiberman, the Entertainment Weekly critic who leans quite liberal and avant-garde in his film tastes, loved the classic corniness and earnestness of the movie.
Go figure.

Last edited by The Lizard; 07-21-2011 at 11:31 PM.
The Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:31 PM   #88
Khemik@L
MARVEL RULES THE SUMMER!!

Quote:

We've seen this clip out of context. When you watch it within context of the rest of the movie especially what happens next it might make more sense. We shouldn't make full judgement from partial clips. But I do know what you mean though. As it stands alone it does look kind of silly but my guess is they wanted to trap him before some kindah "kill move"

FOR IF THE WAY YOUR POWER IS USED IS DICTATED TO YOU BY YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT A SPECTATOR? BUT IF YOU DICTATE YOUR INTENDED ACTIONS TO YOUR SELFISH EMOTIONS ARE YOU NOT THE ENFORCER?
Khemik@L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #89
Suzanne78
I AM GROOT!

Have we seen the Slate.com review. Very positive. She adored the movie (besides the
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Avengers cameo I guess... didn't read that part too clearly...

http://www.slate.com/id/2299720/?from=rss

Suzanne78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:33 PM   #90
The Lizard
Didn't eat Billy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemik@L View Post
We've seen this clip out of context. When you watch it within context of the rest of the movie especially what happens next it might make more sense. We shouldn't make full judgement from partial clips. But I do know what you mean though. As it stands alone it does look kind of silly but my guess is they wanted to trap him before some kindah "kill move"
If you really want to know, the flamethrower soldiers just trap Cap so that reinforcements can show up and hold him at gunpoint because the Skull wanted him captured.

The Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 PM   #91
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard View Post
If you really want to know, the flamethrower soldiers just trap Cap so that reinforcements can show up and hold him at gunpoint because the Skull wanted him captured.
That's what I thought when I saw the clip. Makes perfect sense.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:06 AM   #92
art vandalay
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lizard View Post
This is an amazingly unpredictable film, with regard to many critic's reactions.
eg: Owen Gleiberman, the Entertainment Weekly critic who leans quite liberal and avant-garde in his film tastes, loved the classic corniness and earnestness of the movie.
Go figure.
I think thats the great thing about the "classic greatest generation" values that Cap seems to portray in the movie; whether your left wing or right wing or right down the middle, humility, sacrificing yourself for those in need, the willingness to keep getting up after being knocked down, genuine sincerity, you can't deny the goodness of those values.

And for what its worth pretty much every James Bond villain had bond dead to rights and he somehow slipped out every time. How? because it's a james bond movie. Although I think here its more a case of the red skull wanting to use Steves body for his own, because skulls is all ****ed up. Didnt he try that in the comics?

art vandalay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:09 AM   #93
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer View Post
I never said it was a conspiracy, I simply think it is one competing company using the resources it has to try and make sure its movie comes out ahead a second week in a row. If you read more into it then that I apologize.

Surfer
I can't blame them. If I ran RT, I would do the exact same thing for a Marvel film. In fact, I'd stick it to Cowboys and Aliens next week if I could. That's the nature of the beast and it appears to have been attempted in this case.

Marvel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #94
weezerspider
Side-Kick

Quote:
good debate, but as i recall in the clip they were shooting at him prior to those flame throwers. what logic in inception was broken within itself?
It is entirely possible that they are not shooting to kill. Many times IRL soldiers who are trying to capture someone will shoot at their feet or limbs to stop them, but not kill them. AND
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Skull did want him alive
It all works out in the film. You have no need to worry.

Old 07-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #95
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
While I really like Inception (and saw it multiple times), and I don't want to turn this thread into an Inception debate, one of the things that always bothered me was that the top was not Cobb's, but his decreased wife Mal's totem (and Cobb specifically said that no one can use the same totem to Ariadne).

Anyway, glad to see Cap holding steady at RT so far. I hope it will get close to Thor's RT score.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:11 AM   #96
Jay#1
Banned User

I'm watching this later today!!

Jay#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #97
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

http://www.411mania.com/movies/film_reviews/194416

My official review is now up. A fresh one that is NOT being counted on Rotten Tomatoes.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:32 AM   #98
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

The movie was epic, just got back. I loved it. Had a TON of heart for a CBM and Evans really sells a young Steve Rogers.

The movie, especially the ending, really moved me. The ending is one of the more genuinely emotional moments i've seen in a CBM. I really felt for and respected Cap.

Gotta get to bed but its a win guys, don't listen to any negative crap from joyless movie snobs. The movie is great.

If you don't think its great then your a communist and a terrorist. Night all.

Old 07-22-2011, 02:34 AM   #99
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

To this point I still haven't read a single negative review that gives a clear or concise reason as to what would make this movie even a "70%" or lower movie.

I'm watching this on Tuesday most likely as sadly my work schedule has to take precedence.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
craigdbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:44 AM   #100
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

We already know RT is manipulating the scores because of Harry Potter.

I talked to Kevin Feige and Louis D'Esposito today at the Marvel booth and I thought it was interesting they both read that story on CBM. I don't think they really buy it, but we had a fun discussion about it.

But still, people were kvetching about the low score earlier and it is already higher. I expect it to go up even more after this weekend.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote