The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-22-2011, 02:46 AM   #101
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America Critic's Review Thread - Part 2

This movie ruled!

MahvelBaby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #102
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

For those who have seen it; would you guys say that the film succeeds in conveying the emotion for the "passage of time" sequence in the film? What's exactly shown for that scene?

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #103
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
For those who have seen it; would you guys say that the film succeeds in conveying the emotion for the "passage of time" sequence in the film? What's exactly shown for that scene?
I dont want to spoil this too much because its one of the best things about the movie...there is an emotional connection that I didnt think would be that strong.

You can't judge a film's screenplay until you read the screenplay.
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:49 AM   #104
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Quote:
Yes!

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Victory celebrations from crowds for V-Day...and a moment where Peggy gets a file on Steve...

and there's a picture of his little skinny self. It was emotional.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Spideyfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #105
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Herolee, if it is the one I think you are talking about, yes:

Cap is made a "captain" and put in the USO tour. He is clearly unhappy with his new lot in life as he has all these new strengths and abilities but can't use them. He gets in the routine of the USO tour and does it but he's leary about it while he really feels like he was "meant" for something more. It builds to his eventually going off the reservation to invade the HYDRA base not out of a need for action but in order to rescue his best friend.

Oops, THAT SCENE. Yes that is one of the better parts of the movie. And I almost wish the movie would end before the epilogue.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #106
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
I dont want to spoil this too much because its one of the best things about the movie...there is an emotional connection that I didnt think would be that strong.
lol; np...but would you say that this "emotional" scene tops these emotional moments in the other MCU films?

1. Howard telling Tony that he's his greatest Creation in IM2.

2. Thor being unable to lift up the hammer/Losing Loki to a wormhole

3. The desperation and sad life of Bruce Banner shown in TIH

Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #107
Spideyfan93

Herolee...I personally thought this film's emotional parts were better than any of the other Marvel Studios film's emotional moments combined.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #108
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
Herolee...I personally thought this film's emotional parts were better than any of the other Marvel Studios film's emotional moments combined.
I agree with this...Cap's final flight was way more emotional than I expected...and it carried into the future

Old 07-22-2011, 02:54 AM   #109
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Quote:
lol; np...but would you say that this "emotional" scene tops these emotional moments in the other MCU films?

1. Howard telling Tony that he's his greatest Creation in IM2.

2. Thor being unable to lift up the hammer/Losing Loki to a wormhole

3. The desperation and sad life of Bruce Banner shown in TIH
Yes to all. This has one of the strongest emotional cores. And it shows that Cap despite all his sort of innate "perfectness" can still be a good, strong character.

- CM Punk
Old 07-22-2011, 02:58 AM   #110
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Thanks for answering my questions guys! Appreciate it.

Another thing; would you guys say that out of the rest of the MCU Heroes (Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk), that Captain America faced the largest the threat (something that would harm the people of earth) when compared to the threats that we've seen the rest of the future Avengers encounter and defeat in their respective films?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #111
roach
I am the night

Quote:

Another thing; would you guys say that out of the rest of the MCU Heroes (Iron Man, Thor, and the Hulk), that Captain America faced the largest the threat (something that would harm the people of earth) when compared to the threats that we've seen the rest of the future Avengers encounter and defeat in their respective films?
Cap was facing a threat that was about to waste america so i'd say yeah

Old 07-22-2011, 03:00 AM   #112
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Herolee10

Herolee10, I'd say yes considering Skull's bombers were set to annihlate most of the major cities in the world including NY.

- CM Punk
Old 07-22-2011, 03:06 AM   #113
Trainwreck2100
Side-Kick

Quote:

Thor didn't really face a threat that endangered that many people of Earth to begin with

Trainwreck2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #114
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck2100 View Post
Thor didn't really face a threat that endangered that many people of Earth to begin with
That's what happens when a hero's film only takes place within a matter of two days.lol

But that's for another time to discuss.lol

On a sidenote;

After having seen how Howard was portrayed in this film, would you guys say that it's easy to believe on how the Howard from the 40's could grow into the man that Tony (and us) saw on that projection screen in IM2?

Does this film give any reasons or hints as to why Howard is like the man that Tony originally thought of him to be?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:17 AM   #115
Saitou Hajime
Side-Kick

Quote:
In their defense, the previous films had villains that revolved around the hero in some fashion, and so the threat was more personal.

Saitou Hajime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:18 AM   #116
CBMovie
Newbie First Class

Hi, I'm new here but I have been following this site along with CBR ever since the Rotten Tomatoes fiasco 2 days ago when they kept re-tweeting how rotten Captain America was after only 5 reviews.

I decided to retweet reviews I found on this site and others since.

So much so that I actually pissed off Rotten Tomatoes themselves, and they even took to responding to my tweets:

Quote:
From @RottenTomatoes

@CBMovieWatch It's not a WB order to screw with Cap; we're just trolling conspiracy nuts. Umad?

http://twitter.com/#!/RottenTomatoes/status/94112393986187265
Quote:
From @RottenTomatoes

@CBMovieWatch That piece is so far from the truth it's actually pretty funny.

http://twitter.com/#!/RottenTomatoes/status/94154744746098688
They replied to me with "U mad" LOL, pretty immature aren't they!

It's funny that they actually responded to my tweets as if they were threatened.

Thank you guys for making this easy for me and re-tweet those positive reviews to counter what Rotten Tomatoes had been doing the first 2 days.

CBMovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #117
Godman
Banned User

OMG!!!!!! MEDIOCRE MEDIOCRE MEDIOCRE...so many plot holes and what not...i think its the least inspiring of the bunch. WTF are the critics watching for this to be anywhere near a 70%??????!!!!!!!! I dont think i can watch another Marvel movie until Spiderman as that actually looks good and more grounded with realism.

How did Steve Rogers gain his skills? did he train? worst montage based lazy directing EVER. First half was BRILLIANT, then it got into Batman and Robin territory with camp camp and camp. The movie didnt know if it wanted to be a dramatic serious piece epic, or a live action cartoon...very anti climatic cinema.

How did he learn how to throw the shield with such perfection? did the sirum alter his brain? how did he learn espionage and stealth or fighting techniques or how to fly an enemy craft let alone ANY sort of craft????!!!!! when he was a scrawny guy with absolutely no fighting skills or training, how did he become so skilled and gifted in combat training and go head to head with a presumed military head, red skull, who is a capable general etc???? HUGE plot hole. How does he certainly know acrobatic manuevers or how to leap from car to car like a free runner? people train years to be that proficient and good. Hell, Batman Begins spent a good portion of the movie making us believers of Batman's techniques and skills. This movie doesnt even spent a SECOND on any of that.

That is a MAJOR issue in lack of character development and what cartoons do just to get to the hokey pokey action which in the end was all generic and mundane.

Also if that metal is so rare and the LAST of its kind, why would it be used on a random prototype shield that wasnt even gonna be used? what did stark expect Cap Am to defend himself with??? Im also trippin on how he learned to throw the shield with such precise aim and angling and how does it come back to him? why and how does it bounce off people in that manner and actually make it back in the direction it came from? thats HORRIBLE story telling...seriously?

and sadly i kind of prefer the more skin tight outfit used in comic books that was displayed prior to the main suit. It looked like captain america. maybe not so practical, but with a few tweaks like leather but the same suit, id have prefered that than that parachuter costume.

The plot holes are just astounding. Why was i supposed to root for captain america and not red skull? they had no dynamics of depth with the actual war and what red skull is even fighting for. why is he bad or wicked? just so happens to be, huh? just a cliche villain...smh come on Hollywood, give us some intelligent pieces of story telling and not these generic avengers assemble scripts..

Godman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:22 AM   #118
Godman
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
While I really like Inception (and saw it multiple times), and I don't want to turn this thread into an Inception debate, one of the things that always bothered me was that the top was not Cobb's, but his decreased wife Mal's totem (and Cobb specifically said that no one can use the same totem to Ariadne).

Anyway, glad to see Cap holding steady at RT so far. I hope it will get close to Thor's RT score.
exactly...thats a key factor of the movie. its way more layered than people expected, INCEPTION, of course lol

Old 07-22-2011, 03:24 AM   #119
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

CBMovie, I think you were definitely on to something, and they are doing damage control. You clearly touched a nerve and they were forced into responding.

Also here is the other thing, look at what NewsCorp. has gotten into now. How can we really even trust outlets like Rotten Tomatoes anymore when they are owned by Time Warner?

The tomato score has already gone up and I wager it will continue to go up as reviews will pour in. Also note that one of my positive reviews won't even get a fresh or counted in their group.

- CM Punk
Old 07-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #120
CBMovie
Newbie First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVileOne View Post
CBMovie, I think you were definitely on to something, and they are doing damage control. You clearly touched a nerve and they were forced into responding.

Also here is the other thing, look at what NewsCorp. has gotten into now. How can we really even trust outlets like Rotten Tomatoes anymore when they are owned by Time Warner?

The tomato score has already gone up and I wager it will continue to go up as reviews will pour in. Also note that one of my positive reviews won't even get a fresh or counted in their group.
Thank you.

Could you please explain this "NewsCorp." to me?

Also I've been trying to read your review http://www.411mania.com/movies/film_reviews/194416 but I keep getting an error "access denied".

CBMovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #121
Godman
Banned User

Quote:

What Threat did Cap Am face that wasnt what regular armies have faced anyway? a dictator with high end technology? nothing more sinister than the american government. See the JOKER was more of a threat than ANY of these. He was an actual thorn in everyones side. that is GENIUS villain scripting as he has a witty and wise way about his madness

Old 07-22-2011, 03:30 AM   #122
Spideyfan93

You're bringing TDK into this...sigh.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 07-22-2011, 03:33 AM   #123
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godman View Post
OMG!!!!!! MEDIOCRE MEDIOCRE MEDIOCRE...so many plot holes and what not...i think its the least inspiring of the bunch. WTF are the critics watching for this to be anywhere near a 70%??????!!!!!!!! I dont think i can watch another Marvel movie until Spiderman as that actually looks good and more grounded with realism.

How did Steve Rogers gain his skills? did he train? worst montage based lazy directing EVER. First half was BRILLIANT, then it got into Batman and Robin territory with camp camp and camp. The movie didnt know if it wanted to be a dramatic serious piece epic, or a live action cartoon...very anti climatic cinema.

He did train...its what bootcamp was for.

How did he learn how to throw the shield with such perfection? did the sirum alter his brain? how did he learn espionage and stealth or fighting techniques or how to fly an enemy craft let alone ANY sort of craft????!!!!! when he was a scrawny guy with absolutely no fighting skills or training, how did he become so skilled and gifted in combat training and go head to head with a presumed military head, red skull, who is a capable general etc???? HUGE plot hole. How does he certainly know acrobatic manuevers or how to leap from car to car like a free runner? people train years to be that proficient and good. Hell, Batman Begins spent a good portion of the movie making us believers of Batman's techniques and skills. This movie doesnt even spent a SECOND on any of that.

Have you read a Captain America comic??? Jumping from car to car isnt a skill when you have become the pinnacle of human perfection

That is a MAJOR issue in lack of character development and what cartoons do just to get to the hokey pokey action which in the end was all generic and mundane.

Also if that metal is so rare and the LAST of its kind, why would it be used on a random prototype shield that wasnt even gonna be used? what did stark expect Cap Am to defend himself with??? Im also trippin on how he learned to throw the shield with such precise aim and angling and how does it come back to him? why and how does it bounce off people in that manner and actually make it back in the direction it came from? thats HORRIBLE story telling...seriously?

again have you read a Captain America comic??? Wondering how he manages to throw it and bounce it is like questioning why Superman flies. Its his powerset

and sadly i kind of prefer the more skin tight outfit used in comic books that was displayed prior to the main suit. It looked like captain america. maybe not so practical, but with a few tweaks like leather but the same suit, id have prefered that than that parachuter costume.

The plot holes are just astounding. Why was i supposed to root for captain america and not red skull? they had no dynamics of depth with the actual war and what red skull is even fighting for. why is he bad or wicked? just so happens to be, huh? just a cliche villain...smh come on Hollywood, give us some intelligent pieces of story telling and not these generic avengers assemble scripts..
cause captain america was fighting for the allies and the Skull was working for the Nazi's....do you need it spelled out what makes one evil when they are a Nazi?

Old 07-22-2011, 03:34 AM   #124
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godman View Post
What Threat did Cap Am face that wasnt what regular armies have faced anyway? a dictator with high end technology? nothing more sinister than the american government. See the JOKER was more of a threat than ANY of these. He was an actual thorn in everyones side. that is GENIUS villain scripting as he has a witty and wise way about his madness
again have you read a Captain America comic???

Old 07-22-2011, 03:35 AM   #125
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
It works. There would have been so many ways to screw it up, but it's a wonderfully paced sequence. They earn it.

moviedoors is offline   Reply With Quote