The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > Marvel's The Avengers

Old 06-25-2011, 09:28 PM   #76
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Default Re: Avengers Score : Singular, Or Multiple Composer?

Okay, yes, Labor of Love did sound like LOST. But, really... so what?

LOST sounded great all around.

Let's get down to brass tacks here: The Avengers would be damn lucky to have him.

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #77
Elayis

Maybe. I don't know. It just irks me that all of his stuff is so samey. I really don't want to hear LOST in The Avengers.

My top choice that has been suggested is David Newman.

Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:58 AM   #78
Fifthchild
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
No. For those reasons you listed above, Zimmer would be an awful choice. I'm really tired of these superhero scores nowadays (X-Men:FC, GL) that just have a couple of chords strung together and dubbed a "theme." For a big event team-up film, it needs a lot more than what Zimmer provided. I'm in the same age bracket you guys are in, but I was raised loving all these wonderful, harmonic scores. Superhero films benefit from these.

The only RC/MV composer I would be comfortable with doing The Avengers is John Powell. And he's done superhero territory two times, and I liked what he did. But Zimmer, nuh-uh. The man can write entertaining music (the POTC films being several), but he's not great at superheroes.
I dont really agree with writing him off as being wrong for the genre based on what he did for the Batman films even if you didnt like the approach. Peronally once i accepted a more minimalistic approach to the score I really enjoyed it and it enhances the separation from the previous films which im sure was part of the idea. He does have other strings in his bow and a facility for melody as seen in the Pirates scores. Anyway i suppose it comes down to a matter of personal taste and we arent all going to agree on everything.

Fifthchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #79
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Giacchino won't be doing it anyway. Thor was a May release and Doyle started on it in September, during which Giacchino will be working on Mission Impossible 4 and then John Carter straight after.

I don't think we're getting a big name for this.

ddddeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 PM   #80
ladyloki
Side-Kick

after just comming back from seeing x men first class.. I was not only blown away by the movie but the soundtrack was sick .... I said in a previous post that Desplat would be good but I would love to have Henry Jackman do avengers !!!

Last edited by ladyloki; 06-27-2011 at 06:45 PM.
ladyloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #81
Gunga Diner
Solvin' cool mysteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyloki View Post
after just comming back from seeing x men first class.. I was not only blown away by the movie but the soundtrack was sick .... I said in a previous post that Desplat would be good but I would love to have Henry Jackman do avengers !!!
Henry Jackman would be crazy. I listen to his First Class score in my car all the time.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:21 PM   #82
ladyloki
Side-Kick

Quote:
Henry Jackman would be crazy. I listen to his First Class score in my car all the time.
I know I cant stop listening to it ... especially the track sub lift , its off the wall

ladyloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #83
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthchild View Post
I think i agree with most that the scores for Marvel movies have thusfar been somewhat lackluster. I like big themes and memorable melodies as much as the next guy. I did like what Armstrong did for TIH however, very Bourne like in places, and he did try hard to work in some thematic material for the Hulk even if it wasnt something you might whistle to yourself. Though ive never really liked/recalled anything Doyle has done before i did like what he did for Thor and he came up with a very nice Thor/Asgard theme IMO. So I guess its really the Iron Man movies that I am dissapointe with. I suspect that might have a lot to do with Favreau's keenness for the rock guitar sound - I would have thought something more electronic would have been a more natural association for a tech based character like Stark.

Anyway it seems a budget conscious studio like Marvel are more likely to go with a cheaper, smaller name composer for an aspect of the film that they probably see as largely interchangable like the score. I hope this changes for The Avengers however (the decision to go with ILM as the main effects house might indicate a more "top shelf" approach) or at least that a lesser known guy can come in and knock it out of the park.

I can see there is a fair bit of antipathy towards Zimmer and his crew (not uncommonly amongst score afficiandos) but im a fan and i think the Joker's theme from TDK was perfect. It may be "one note" but the sound design was awesome and totally suited such an anarchic depiction of the character. I would love to see him given the gig.

Giacchino would also be great. Elfman is fine but i think that would be a somewhat boring choice. I really like Jackman's score for First Class especially from someone id never heard of before. Powell's X3 score was great and in some parts was phenomenal (Dark Phoenix's Tragedy) and I think he would be potentially epic. Im sure we will end up with someone nobody saw coming however
Not as boring as Zimmer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elayis View Post
I just don't want Debney. His Iron Man score was adequate, but Djawadi's was so much better. Another reason why I hated IM2.
I'm not a fan of Debney's music by any means. But to say his score is one of the reasons you hated IM2 b/c Djawadi's score (which is FAR from decent, imo) was better. Is laughable to me. No offense. Debney's score was weak b/c he had to follow the sound and tone that Djawadi used (which you hear in most action movie scores from (and not from)the MV/RC factory ) for IM. Djawadi's score was already weak and generic, imo. So instead of hiring a different composer to write a different score for the sequel. TPTB have him copy the same generic sound that the first film had, which is again in pretty much every popcorn movie blockbuster today. Djawadi's score for IM was probably the weakest thing about the film, imo. So to me that was a good thing he didn't come back for IM2. But why hire Debney if they wanted a Djawadi (or MV/RC type) score ? For that reason TPTB should've just kept Djawadi.

Back to The Avengers . Beltrami would be a good choice as well. I would love to see him get a project of this scale. Probably doubtful though.

Elevator Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:46 PM   #84
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Zimmer is boring?

Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:25 AM   #85
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Zimmer is boring?

Yeah imo Zimmer and his MV/RC comrades are very boring when it comes to scoring action/ adventure/ popcorn movie blockbusters. Directors and producers have been loving this type of sound for 16 years and counting. The Avengers needs something new and groundbreaking. Zimmer and his buddiies won't bring that. It'll be more sound design and another huge noisefest. So hopefully they get a composer with real talent and want's to bring something new to the genre. Yes I know very doubtful.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #86
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Zimmer is boring?

Nowadays? Yes. Except when he's working with Ron Howard.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 AM   #87
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

Giacchino would do a good job. Just give him permission to go crazy. Just tell him to write the definitive superhero movie score of all time and he will deliver.

We've been jipped on comic book superhero movie scores too often.

- CM Punk
TheVileOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #88
Elayis

I'm not sure if this guy's been mentioned yet, but he just popped into my head, and now I can't help but think that he would be perfect for this, and give him a big publicity push that he seems to be lacking.

Elliot Goldenthal. Loved his work on Heat and Final Fantasy. He's magnificent.

Elayis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 AM   #89
Krimasen
Avenger 0

I think the score needs to be epic and sweeping, so I'd suggest Hans Zimmer, John Williams, or Steve Jablonsky.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #90
The Watcher
Otherwordly Witness

Giacchino is really a top choice. His works have been identifiable (as being composed by him), and yet separate and distinct in their sound. His themes mix a degree of epicness with drama and heart (Star Trek displayed this quite excellently), and action themes aren't at all 'out of his comfort zone' (MI3). Mystery and character themes have been explored with LOST, and Up was just a bundle of joy.

Considering Whedon's on the project - I don't recall a 'constant' composer in his past projects.

I think two collaborative composers would work well for the film, though.

The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:47 AM   #91
Roose Bolton
Blood of the First Men

I wouldn't mind Elfman, especially if he brings
Some of "Hulk" insanity to the picture.

Roose Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:02 AM   #92
Krimasen
Avenger 0

Elfman's a fine composer, but I think his works are largely better suited for darker fare. I've also enjoyed Giacchino's work very much especially in Lost, but I'm not sure he'd be up to the task.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #93
ddddeeee
Side-Kick

Elfman and Giacchino are completely booked for next year.

Silvestri doesn't seem to have any movies lined up at all.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #94
Gamingboy
Side-Kick

If it would be anything like how my head works when I read comics, then each character would have a theme:

The Hulk and Banner would have "The Lonely Man" (AKA the 80s theme music) as their theme (this actually isn't without precedent, since it was sampled in the 2008 score).

Iron Man and Stark would be, of course, an instrumental of Black Sabbath.

Captain America would have some sort of semi-over-the-top patriotic music, although I haven't heard the First Avenger score yet, so maybe that could take over.

etc. etc.

And I have the Avengers theme music in my head as almost a march that builds up until we have the musical equivalent of AVENGERS ASSEMBLE at which point it becomes all-out awesomeness.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #95
The Watcher
Otherwordly Witness

I'm particularly looking for a composer who's willing to take the themes of each character from the past movies and input them into the score. Perhaps put his/her own spin on the track, but at least incorporate that general tune.

The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #96
tillyvick14

I will be very upset if each character does not have his individual theme incorporated into the film along with a sweeping new theme for the team as a whole. That will be a very tall order and I'm not sure how it will be accomplished but that's what I want as a fan.

tillyvick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #97
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Themes I'd like to see reprised somehow into Avengers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsO-lttHb8k (Yes I prefer Debney's Iron Man theme, if this is his theme, it's the song I think of when I think of Iron Man.)

http://www.youtube.com/user/ddddeeee...53/GGCjE7Q0FzE

http://www.youtube.com/user/ddddeeee.../1/ddVTjy1pRjI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oiG8KmKpqo (But I'd like a new heroic theme for Hulk)

MahvelBaby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:53 AM   #98
Krimasen
Avenger 0

Whoever does ultimately take over scoring duties will have quite a task ahead of them.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #99
Elevator Man
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krimasen View Post
I think the score needs to be epic and sweeping, so I'd suggest Hans Zimmer, John Williams, or Steve Jablonsky.

When you think epic and sweeping Zimmer and Jablonsky(excluding Williams) are the first to come to mind ? Wow. Generic and lackluster is what comes to mind (for me) when you mention those two names. Especially when it comes to this genre. Williams scoring this will only happen in a wet dream.

Marvel Studios needs to stay as far away as possible from Zimmer (shouldn't be too hard since he'll be busy scoring TDKR) and his MV/RC buddies. If not this will sound no different from Bay's Transformers, the Nolan Batman trilogy, and many other MV/RC action scores. The Avengers' score shouldn't sound like any of those scores.

The composer should write something that's appropriate for the Avengers and something that'll break ground. Especially since this is the first time something like this happen in the genre (with superheroes from other films joining forces for the greater good ). This is something that we thought that we would never see before IM. And now it's coming. The score should reflect that. Kind of like how STM hit the big screen and it being the first cbm it set the bar that many follow ( when it comes to this genre) to this day. Even the score set the bar. I hope the Avengers score (as well as the film) will set a bar for many scores of the genre to follow. So whoever gets the gig needs to bring his A-game and deliver something mind blowing and groundbreaking. But I seriously doubt that.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:23 PM   #100
BatmanInc
Banned User

Who do I want to score it? John Williams?

Do I think it's likely that he will? Not really. A 1/50 chance, at most.

BatmanInc is offline   Reply With Quote