The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-24-2011, 01:09 AM   #51
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Default Re: (Spoilers) Did Anyone Else Find It Sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillyvick14 View Post
This scene and the sense of loss that I felt for Steve after he is displaced in time has really stuck with me as well even though I knew it was coming. Alan Silverstri's score is very effective during those moments of the film as well.
Agreed, the music playing for the plane crash sequence really help further convey how heartbreaking the scene was.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #52
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I think it's funny that the grumpy gusses who didn't like the movie even before they saw it are trying to tell people how to feel about the scene near the end.

You don't have to like the scene but it's not hyberbole to say that it touched them that much.
Not telling anyone how to feel, but exaggeration does run rampant on these forums. I mean Captain America, a film with absolutely no flaws? C'mon ....

Quote:
Forrest Gump is one of the most manipulative movies ever made. It's a bland big cemercial film masquerading as a deep smart one. It's one of Robert Zemeckis's "I'm a whore for special effects and nothing else" films. Look Forrest meets Kennedy! Look he is inserted somewhere else! I've watched like 70% of it and do not want to see the rest. It's a dubious thing indeed when one who finds that film deeply emotional rags on one who finds something in Captain America emotional. At least Captain America isn't pretending that it's some great big film with an amazing message.

Pick a better movie and I might be in like flynn with ya.
You're certified insane. Gump was one of the most emotionally deep movies in cinema. The scene in which I speak is when Gump looks at his son for the first time and worries that he too suffers from the same physical/mental conditions. All the struggles and torment he went thru hit him like a ton of bricks and he didn't want his son to suffer the same. How could that not be a powerful scene? "Is he smart" with the tears rolling down his face. I'm sure if Gump pulled up his shirt to reveal abs like Chris Evans you'd prolly fall in love with it.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 07-24-2011 at 01:16 AM.
Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #53
tillyvick14

I also felt that it was useful that the modern day scene at the end of the film was not directed by Johnston, it helps convey the feeling that Cap is disoriented as we the audience are subjected to a different type of cinematography that is more modern and jarring.

A friend of mine felt the plane crash was too contrived and that Cap could have easily softly landed it. The answer to that criticism is that the aircraft was too badly damaged (especially its engines) after Steve crashed the bomb into it earlier correct? I remember him saying to Peggy that landing it safely would be difficult or something similar.

tillyvick14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:38 AM   #54
DACrowe
Side-Kick

I wouldn't say it was very emotional and it was a bit cliché....but it was very well done. Evans and Atwell had real chemisry in this movie and they played the scene just right so it was sad, without becoming maudlin. PRobably the best attempt at romance in a MS film to date.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:40 AM   #55
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I wouldn't say it was very emotional and it was a bit cliché....but it was very well done. Evans and Atwell had real chemisry in this movie and they played the scene just right so it was sad, without becoming maudlin. PRobably the best attempt at romance in a MS film to date.
Agreed.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #56
Fanticon
Sneaky-Snake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
Contradiction poster child.

and this...

Quote:
Forrest Gump is one of the most manipulative movies ever made. It's a bland big cemercial film masquerading as a deep smart one. It's one of Robert Zemeckis's "I'm a whore for special effects and nothing else" films. Look Forrest meets Kennedy! Look he is inserted somewhere else! I've watched like 70% of it and do not want to see the rest. It's a dubious thing indeed when one who finds that film deeply emotional rags on one who finds something in Captain America emotional. At least Captain America isn't pretending that it's some great big film with an amazing message.

That 30% of the rest of the film that you've neglected to watch, is the part you fear will make you curl up into a little ball and cry. The very nature of any movie is to manipulate your senses, right down to your cerebral core. Many will fail. But Forrest Gump? That is genuinely an emotionally satisfying and beautiful film...an uplifting kind of sad, not the depressing kind. And perhaps it is the death of my 20's that has fueled a newly realized sensitivity in me, but the end of Cap was quite sad, and honestly if they hadn't topped that movie off with that scene and those final moments in the end where you knew the love story was doomed, and Rogers eventually waking up in the future and having to cope with that, I might not have liked the movie that much more. It was perhaps, one of the most redeeming qualities of the movie by the time it was over...even after the Avengers teaser.

Fanticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 02:50 AM   #57
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillyvick14 View Post
I also felt that it was useful that the modern day scene at the end of the film was not directed by Johnston, it helps convey the feeling that Cap is disoriented as we the audience are subjected to a different type of cinematography that is more modern and jarring.

A friend of mine felt the plane crash was too contrived and that Cap could have easily softly landed it. The answer to that criticism is that the aircraft was too badly damaged (especially its engines) after Steve crashed the bomb into it earlier correct? I remember him saying to Peggy that landing it safely would be difficult or something similar.

Yes, Steve flew that Hydra bomber right into the rear engines of the flying wedge. That alone did a lot of damage to it, but the fight with the Red Skull inflicted even more on the cockpit controls. Some of the instrumentation was taken out when the Skull smashed into it. When the Cube burned through the floor that may have done even more damage, while at the same time depriving the plane of its power source. (That bit I'm not absolutely certain of, however.) All told, that plane sustained more than enough damage to explain why Cap had to ditch it in the Arctic.

xeno000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #58
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanticon View Post
Contradiction poster child.

and this...

That 30% of the rest of the film that you've neglected to watch, is the part you fear will make you curl up into a little ball and cry. The very nature of any movie is to manipulate your senses, right down to your cerebral core. Many will fail. But Forrest Gump? That is genuinely an emotionally satisfying and beautiful film...an uplifting kind of sad, not the depressing kind. And perhaps it is the death of my 20's that has fueled a newly realized sensitivity in me, but the end of Cap was quite sad, and honestly if they hadn't topped that movie off with that scene and those final moments in the end where you knew the love story was doomed, and Rogers eventually waking up in the future and having to cope with that, I might not have liked the movie that much more. It was perhaps, one of the most redeeming qualities of the movie by the time it was over...even after the Avengers teaser.
I don't imagine I'll ever care for tripe like that but knock yourself out. People have actually convinced themselves that American Beauty is a great movie to so nothing surprises me.

The Lego Movie: 8.5/10-RoboCop 6.5/10-Captain America: The Winter Soldier 9.5/10

I SUPPORT GIVING BATFLECK A CHANCE.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:10 AM   #59
captaintass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Just something funny about a guy with a screen name of "captainass" who's crying at a comic book movie.
Reading comp not your strong suit, bud?

Captain Tass

Read it again.

captaintass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:34 AM   #60
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

The part of this scene that really hit the most was the shot of seeing the Airplane slowing descending into the snow/ground, along with the music playing at that very moment. So tragic.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:17 AM   #61
Rogers America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
I agree with all of this. However, I really felt that the last line of the film ("I had a date") wasn't allowed enough time to linger. After that line, the camera should have panned up over the city with some somber music. But instead, immediately after he says it, we jump into the credits with a rousing hero theme as if Cap had just uttered something like "I'm ready for another fight".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogers America View Post
I completely thought the opposite. I think using the rousing march theme immediately after was PERFECT for a few reasons:

Firstly, yes the moment before was sad, but it's also a reminder of the goodness and heroism of the character.

Secondly, why should composer Alan Silvestri (whose score was FANTASTIC) who greatly added to the sadness of that scene not be allowed to have "his" moment in the spotlight?

Lastly, did you ever see The Empire Strikes Back? Last time I checked that went from being on a downer to John Williams' upbeat and rousing end credits music. That's just one example of many occasions with this occurring in past films as well.
Also taking the end teaser into account, I'm glad going into that I had a sense of happiness and not depression, and I also think it was a good move for the audience members who would have been leaving the theater on that triumphant music feeling proud.

Another example that instantly just came to mind as well, is the ending of The Great Escape.

Last edited by Rogers America; 07-24-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Rogers America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:24 AM   #62
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintass View Post
Reading comp not your strong suit, bud?

Captain Tass

Read it again.
Hahah .... my bad.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #63
JP
Flame On

Its been on my mind since I saw it. Very depressing. My mom even made it worse when I talked to her about it. She said "Peggy probably went to the place every Saturday at 8pm until she died."

JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 AM   #64
Rogers America

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Its been on my mind since I saw it. Very depressing. My mom even made it worse when I talked to her about it. She said "Peggy probably went to the place every Saturday at 8pm until she died."

Cheer up.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Rogers America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 PM   #65
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Quote:

There's being in love/enamoured and then there's being nuts. Peggy eventually knew he wasn't coming back and probably went on with her life(married, had kids, etc.).

Old 07-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #66
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
I don't imagine I'll ever care for tripe like that but knock yourself out. People have actually convinced themselves that American Beauty is a great movie to so nothing surprises me.
I love Cap, Forrest Gump, and American Beauty. Some people connect with stories and some do not.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 AM   #67
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

Quote:

That is sad to think about.

One of the things that I was surprised to see in my Theater, was that; I had the MOST Annoying people in attendance at the showing that I went to. I mean these people would make some dumb sound throughout several moments of the film.

But when this scene came, where they were saying their final goodbye, along with the shot of the plane going into the ground/snow, EVERYONE was dead silent and in tuned completely with the scene.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #68
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:

Like that episode of Futurama with the dog

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:58 PM   #69
LuisTX85
Señor Zorro

To me it wasn't eye teary But I understand how it could be for others,It was darn emotional though and I felt it was done perfectly!!

LuisTX85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #70
Flemm
Side-Kick

This scene struck me as rather derivative of the scene at the beginning of Trek '09 (starring Chris Hemsworth, oddly enough). The structure was very similar: the hero crashing his ship intentionally to save others, the long-distance conversation with his love interest, the simplicity of the subject matter being discussed lending poignancy to the impending disaster, etc.

It was effectively staged (though somewhat less so, I thought, than in Trek '09), but the similarity was strong enough that it detracted a bit from my immersion and emotional involvement in this case.

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #71
Team Andino
The Paragon of Virtue

Saw it for the second time today and this time I found myself tearing up and felt like I had a frog in my throat. One thing I really appreciate is Steve continuously talking to Peggy mere seconds before he crashes almost as if he was trying to make this easier on her instead of making it obvious he was about to crash.

Team Andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:34 PM   #72
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flemm View Post
This scene struck me as rather derivative of the scene at the beginning of Trek '09 (starring Chris Hemsworth, oddly enough). The structure was very similar: the hero crashing his ship intentionally to save others, the long-distance conversation with his love interest, the simplicity of the subject matter being discussed lending poignancy to the impending disaster, etc.

It was effectively staged (though somewhat less so, I thought, than in Trek '09), but the similarity was strong enough that it detracted a bit from my immersion and emotional involvement in this case.
Ya in that context it was very similar. Hemsworth emoted so much more deeply in his scene though IMO.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #73
jacobed
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Hemsworth did emote more deeply but he should have, he was talking to his wife and their new born baby. Capt. America was just talking to show chick that had feelings for. I've seen the movie 3 times and everytime I hear sniffels and what not in the audience, its crazy I never expected to hear anything like that in a comic book movie.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #74
herolee10
Ultimate Hero

On a sidenote, I believe this film just proved my speculation correct that Steve is the only Avenger that still hasn't had "his special night".lol Someone make it a note to allow the Captain to get lucky with someone special in the sequel!lol Maybe that's why he wasn't allowed to get some from Peggy, because he'll get some from Sharon and they didn't want the whole "they're related to each other part" to get in the way for that.lol

Old 07-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #75
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
On a sidenote, I believe this film just proved my speculation correct that Steve is the only Avenger that still hasn't had "his special night".lol Someone make it a note to allow the Captain to get lucky with someone special in the sequel!lol Maybe that's why he wasn't allowed to get some from Peggy, because he'll get some from Sharon and they didn't want the whole "they're related to each other part" to get in the way for that.lol
I think it is more an old fashioned romance thing than it was the "they're related" thing. Cap and Peggy were more like an old fashioned romance, and in more old fashioned movies, the hero didn't just shack up with the leading lady.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote