The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #76
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Default Re: So what DIDN'T we like?

Thought of another thing.

They needed more Natalie Dormer.

Because...

She's Natalie Dormer.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #77
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Don't get me wrong, I can't wait for The Avengers ..... but Captain America would've been an awesome trilogy on it's own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I am hoping the sequels are modern era with flashbacks to the past.
You know, I was just thinking the same thing a while ago. I would've loved to see another Cap film before the Avengers, especially if its main focus is showing him trying to adjust to today's world, while struggling to hold on to his past. I don't know if they will show signs of that in the Avengers, but I would love to see them move forward with the character afterwards.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #78
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

One of the SHIELD agents specifically asks "How come nobody spotted this thing before?" ....to which the local replies, "It's really not that surprising .... because this landscape is always changing."

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Rock Sexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #79
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
One of the SHIELD agents specifically asks "How come nobody spotted this thing before?" ....to which the local replies, "It's really not that surprising .... because this landscape is always changing."
again, that does nothing to explain the immediate problem. It does wonders however for the non issue of why they hadn't spotted a giant ship floating around 70years later...kudos.

Quote:
It presents the logic they're using .... and again they never broke it. You just don't find it acceptable.
I just think they created a plot hole and they gave a half ass explanation to cover it.

Last edited by Marvin; 07-26-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #80
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

The only thing I thought needed improvement was the montage of scenes of Cap and the Howling Commandos taking out the Hydra bases...I think each scene should have been a little longer.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:47 PM   #81
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

I was really hoping that one of the Hydra agents would get his head blown off and the sprout two more in its place.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #82
The Guard
Side-Kick

I felt like they kind of wasted the Howling Commandos and Bucky, whose potential was never really capitalized on. Did we ever even learn their names? Here's hoping sequels would delve into the montage days with a bit more depth.

And if I'm right
The future's looking bright
A symbol in the skies at night
The Guard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #83
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKush View Post
-Didn't like Hugo Weaving's German accent. I wish he had used his Agent Smith voice, it was far more sinister. Zola's German accent wasn't great either, but better than the Skulls.

-Felt the Nazi aspect of Skull was too de-emphasized. I couldn't buy Hitler allowing Schmidt to build up pretty much a rival organization, with weapons of such power. It also didn't make sense that Schmidt wasn't giving Hitler at least some of the weapons, if for no other reason to keep him in Hitler's good graces and out of his hair. Didn't like how they replaced the Nazi symbol with the Hydra symbol throughout the movie, even on the little flags used to represent the Hydra bases.

-Thought the Hydra uniforms and tech were way too advanced. I also thought Cap's final uniform was too advanced. I preferred the uniform he had on during the tours, with some streamlining or touch ups, as the one he should've used.

-No mention of Isaiah Bradley. I really didn't expect it, but would've been pleasantly surprised if some type of mention had been thrown in there.

-Didn't realize that the film was supposed to take place over several years until I read that on the internet. I think they could've done a better job with that. Like just showing years passing by during that montage when Cap is kicking ass.
It's funny how the people who complained about how there weren't enough Nazis in the advertising were ridiculed on this board, seeing as how there were barely any Nazis in the movie. Hydra even breaks with them fairly early on. I would've liked to have seen Cap fighting some SS men and the like.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #84
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guard View Post
I felt like they kind of wasted the Howling Commandos and Bucky, whose potential was never really capitalized on. Did we ever even learn their names? Here's hoping sequels would delve into the montage days with a bit more depth.
That's one reason why I'm hoping that the Cap sequels take place in WWII. I can forgive the glossing over of the commandos and Bucky if we get more of them in sequels.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #85
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
It's funny how the people who complained about how there weren't enough Nazis in the advertising were ridiculed on this board, seeing as how there were barely any Nazis in the movie. Hydra even breaks with them fairly early on. I would've liked to have seen Cap fighting some SS men and the like.
I thought there were more than enough Nazis. They were in the beginning of the film in Norway and when they visited Red Skull.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909
Old 07-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #86
gridlockd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
again, that does nothing to explain the immediate problem. It does wonders however the non issue of why they hadn't spotted a giant ship floating around 70years later...kudos.

I just think they created a plot hole and they gave a half ass explanation to cover it.
I pretty much agree. Obviously the filmmakers saw it as a possible plothole too. If it made logic sense to everyone, there would have been no need for the up-front explanation.

Maybe if it were falsely concluded by Stark and the government, that the ship exploded on impact and Cap was dead, I would have bought it better. As it stands, Howard Stark doesn't strike me as the type to give up. If he can make a car fly (kinda) he could have probably tracked down that giant ship in the ice.

gridlockd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #87
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gridlockd View Post
I pretty much agree. Obviously the filmmakers saw it as a possible plothole too. If it made logic sense to everyone, there would have been no need for the up-front explanation.

Maybe if it were falsely concluded by Stark and the government, that the ship exploded on impact and Cap was dead, I would have bought it better. As it stands, Howard Stark doesn't strike me as the type to give up. If he can make a car fly (kinda) he could have probably tracked down that giant ship in the ice.
I found it perfectly plausible. He crash landed in an area that was probably hundreds of miles of pure ice. His ship was covered inside the ice for most of the time until a freak coincidence lead to him getting uncovered. Trying to find it would literally be like looking for a needle in a haystack. The plane was emitting no energy signature (like the cube was) so you literally had to just blindly search.

The only problems I had was Bucky's death. It just didn't have much of an emotional impact. I think Bucky and Steve's relationship should have been built on more, so when he finally did die, it was a huge shock to the audience. I expected Bucky to get saved by Steve a few times, just to get the audience in that comfortable mindset of "oh, he's the hero's friend that always gets saved but never dies." Only to hit you with a whammy closer to the end of the film.

I also thought Steve and Peggy's relationship could have been explored more as well.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:34 PM   #88
gridlockd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-X View Post
Wrong on these counts...

-Cap gains his powers from an experiment that went completely right. After the experiment is when things went wrong.
-Yinsen was in no way Stark's mentor
-see above...also Stark wasn't avenging his friend, he was trying to escape, avenging just happened to coincidentally fit in due to the ensuing carnage
-Rogers never used his powers for the wrong reason. He was shoe horned into the USO since he had nothing else to do, the military didn't except him...then, when the chance presented itself, he immediately went into action.
Eh, you know what I mean. The kindly old sage who guides the hero in the beginning then dies. Basically the same guy in Cap and Iron Man. And basically Uncle Ben in Spider Man.

Iron Man still avenged his friend in the cave. As did Cap, as did Spider-Man.

-Cap used his powers to lift girls on a motorcycle in a USO show. We all know that's not what he was meant to do with his life. Just like we know Spider-Man isn't meant to become a pro-wrestler in the first movie.

Last edited by gridlockd; 07-26-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #89
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:

He made the car fly for mere seconds.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #90
gridlockd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
I found it perfectly plausible. He crash landed in an area that was probably hundreds of miles of pure ice. His ship was covered inside the ice for most of the time until a freak coincidence lead to him getting uncovered. Trying to find it would literally be like looking for a needle in a haystack. The plane was emitting no energy signature (like the cube was) so you literally had to just blindly search.

The only problems I had was Bucky's death. It just didn't have much of an emotional impact. I think Bucky and Steve's relationship should have been built on more, so when he finally did die, it was a huge shock to the audience. I expected Bucky to get saved by Steve a few times, just to get the audience in that comfortable mindset of "oh, he's the hero's friend that always gets saved but never dies." Only to hit you with a whammy closer to the end of the film.

I also thought Steve and Peggy's relationship could have been explored more as well.

So it was emitting an energy up until it hit the ground? So if they know where it went down, just concentrate your search in that area. Would it take even 5 years if you know where to look? Just seems like they want it both ways, Stark has all this crazy cutting-edge technology but oh, we don't have the technology to find this giant ship in the snow. I'm not saying it ruins the movie but again, the filmmakers themselves obviously saw that this way an issue or they wouldn't have added that pre-emptive expository dialouge.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:47 PM   #91
Asr
Side-Kick

There are some things already posted I agree with:

1 - The missions montage rushed over the action too much when I was hoping for a big action set-piece (the mountain base was a perfect opportunity but even that one was rushed too).

2 - Red Skull & Hydra vs the Nazis - just not enough explanation there to show how or why they were or weren't working together. And I agree there should've been more Nazis in the movie.

3 - Didn't see enough of Cap's full range of abilities. We mostly just saw him taking out bad guys swiftly (mostly by punching them and using the shield) but not really much else. The jump across the fallen walkway (right after the first meeting with Red Skull) for example - the editing by not showing his full jump across was instantly annoying. I was expecting to see Cap have at least some Spider-Man style moves (in terms of agility and movement style) but nada.

4 - One thing I haven't seen mentioned in any threads so far: the Asian and black characters totally took me out of the WW2 timeline. What was the point of adding them when Asians and blacks were both highly segregated during WW2? There was just no believability there at all for me. I can't believe that someone working on the movie, let alone the director, intentionally put those characters in there, it was just completely jarring. For a modern-era timeline, sure, why not. But for a WW2-era movie, it just stuck out like a sore thumb and ruined the believability and verisimilitude. I'd seriously like to know what the filmmakers were thinking.

5 - Oh yeah and the ending was way too abrupt too. Cap's line and then bam, black screen, cue victorious music. There needed to be something more to add either impact or emotion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I was really hoping that one of the Hydra agents would get his head blown off and the sprout two more in its place.
I agree with this, that would've been funny & awesome as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post

Definitely agree with the Bucky and Peggy relationships too. They were good as-is but could've been fleshed out more.

Last edited by Asr; 07-26-2011 at 02:56 PM.
Asr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #92
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
So it was emitting an energy up until it hit the ground? So if they know where it went down, just concentrate your search in that area. Would it take even 5 years if you know where to look? Just seems like they want it both ways, Stark has all this crazy cutting-edge technology but oh, we don't have the technology to find this giant ship in the snow. I'm not saying it ruins the movie but again, the filmmakers themselves obviously saw that this way an issue or they wouldn't have added that pre-emptive expository dialouge.
Not just any energy though .... the cube's energy. Without it being aboard the plane, they can't trace it back to there ....... and they WERE in the vicinity that's why you saw Stark insist to keep looking.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #93
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

I didn't like that the movie ended. I could have sat there watching for hours more.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:57 PM   #94
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
You misunderstood the movie. The plane never emitted an energy signature. It was the cube. "But the energy signature stop's here." The cube was emitting an energy signature, the plane never did. They didn't actually know where the plane hit the ground. Hence why it was basically impossible to locate.

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #95
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I didn't like that the movie ended. I could have sat there watching for hours more.
This.

Also, I don't like that I have a 900 day wait before I will get to see a Captain America 2.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #96
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
This.

Also, I don't like that I have a 900 day wait before I will get to see a Captain America 2.
At least we get Avengers to hold us over on our Cap sequel wait, LOL!

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #97
Rowsdower!
Business as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangConquers View Post
This.

You could always watch this to pass the time:

Captain America II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8kuOVLLO0

Old 07-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #98
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
You could always watch this to pass the time:

Captain America II

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj8kuOVLLO0
cap and the dogs is too epic

Old 07-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #99
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

I thought Hugo Weaving's accent sounded more Austrian than German, but that's just a nitpick.

The character of Peggy Carter was also very out of place in the 1940's. I'm surprised no one in the movie pointed that out. But then they were dealing with super soldiers and crazy futuristic technology.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #100
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
The character of Peggy Carter was also very out of place in the 1940's. I'm surprised no one in the movie pointed that out. But then they were dealing with super soldiers and crazy futuristic technology.
I noticed the same thing. I thought it was weird because women were just starting to take their first steps towards equality after the war, and any woman that was overseas was usually just a nurse or secretary and not some high ranking officer. My guess is she was just really good at the job and was easy on the eyes.