The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 PM   #26
The Sage
Officially a 30 Year Man.
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
6 times really?
regular 2D, matinee?
It's not unheard of. I saw a certain superhero movie 6 times three years ago...

Old 07-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #27
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Two times matinee .... the rest I'm sure you can figure out for yourself.
you snuck in
paid for thor

Old 07-26-2011, 05:09 PM   #28
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I've seen it 4 times so far(2 matinee, 2 full price) and I'm seeing it again tonight. It's pretty much the best time I've had in a theater since IM1 in 2008(saw that like a dozen times in theaters). I doubt I'll see Cap THAT much but probably 6-8 times before it's all over in theaters.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #29
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
you snuck in
paid for thor
Wait what?

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #30
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Speaking of the Starks...I've been thinking.

How friggin old was Tony's Dad when Tony was born? Stark looked...maybe 21 at the youngest (and that's pushing it. I figured him to be at least 25). Tony's 45 at the most. If Cap went down at the end of the war...Stark Sr. must have still been at least around 50 when Tony was born.

Sounds to me like baby Tony was an "oops" baby.
I'm 54....my daughter is 4.......

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #31
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
I have now watched this thing for the 6th time.
Lucky skunk.

Quote:
It's so nice to have this stable of Marvel films that I could watch endlessly ..... i.e. TIH, Thor, and Cap
When they're all on DVD it's going to make some great marathons...

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #32
D4rkShaDoWz
Gotham's Reckoning

After thinking about it, I'm starting to like the ending more and more. It's definitely not a traditional ending and it ends on a somber note, hinting at what's to come for Steve in the Avengers.

The way he says "I had a date." is just so powerful, in my opinion

Check out my latest fan trailer -
X-Men: Days of Future Past and my short film "Touched"

Last edited by D4rkShaDoWz; 07-26-2011 at 06:50 PM. Reason: spelling error(fail)
D4rkShaDoWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:35 PM   #33
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I just loved the bitter-sweet nature of the ending.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:45 PM   #34
Mac_Hine
Side-Kick

The ending was bitter-sweet. I felt for poor ol' Cap.

Mac_Hine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #35
Shazam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rkShaDoWz View Post
After thinking about it, I'm starting to like the ending more and more. It's definitely not a traditional ending and it ends on a somber note, hinting at what's to come for Steve in the Avengers.

The way he says "I had a date." is just so ppwerful, in my opinion
It felt rushed to me....sorry. I was hoping for mental flash back of his final kiss with Peggy.... something...
Maybe even him looking around at the people and how they've changed....some punk rockers, etc....

Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #36
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
It felt rushed to me....sorry. I was hoping for mental flash back of his final kiss with Peggy.... something...
Maybe even him looking around at the people and how they've changed....some punk rockers, etc....
Why would we need the flashback of the kiss when it literally happened moments ago?

Moreover, you're getting all that "what is this stuff around here" in the Avengers. Patience young Padewon.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #37
Infinity9999x
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I'm 54....my daughter is 4.......
C. Lee still going strong!

my veiws on Raimi's Spider-man
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
here
just scoll down

X-men Short film:

http://vimeo.com/41530049
Infinity9999x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #38
Raiden
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
Lucky skunk.

When they're all on DVD it's going to make some great marathons...
When the Avengers is out on DVD I'll try to watch all of them consecutively, if I have the time. Once my sons are old enough to watch PG-13 movies, I'll enjoy watching the movies with them.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Raiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #39
D4rkShaDoWz
Gotham's Reckoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
When the Avengers is out on DVD I'll try to watch all of them consecutively, if I have the time. Once my sons are old enough to watch PG-13 movies, I'll enjoy watching the movies with them.

I've been keeping the tradition of going to the movies with my dad to see comic book movies since the first X-Men movie came out... I'm 17 now and we still go together.. father and son bonding at its finest

Check out my latest fan trailer -
X-Men: Days of Future Past and my short film "Touched"

D4rkShaDoWz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 PM   #40
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I kinda wish my dad had lived to see this era. He died in 1999 so he missed the whole resurgence of superhero movies.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:29 PM   #41
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

Well saw it my third time today , this time in 3-d which was meh, not horrible not great, still love the movie as much as last time though gonna give it a break though as to not burn myself out, may see it one last time before it leaves theaters

MahvelBaby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:42 PM   #42
captainrogers
Diluted SuperSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah View Post
Now that I think about it, do you think that the element that Tony created in IM2 was an artificial Cosmic Cube? His dad was last seen in Captain America finding the Cube. I'm guessing that he spent his life studying it, failing to replicate its power, only to entrust his son to finding the solution with the clues he left for him.
I believe we saw what was the first of 'arc reactor' technology in Cap. The battery device that Zola First makes in his lab that taps in and siphoned some of the cubes energies for a basically endless power supply for his designs is the precursor to what we see in Ironman. Steve taking the sample from the POW mission is what led Howard to begin all his modern work. If you look in his notebook (special features in IM2) you'll note the Tesseract studies, and his trying to replicate that single speck that blew up in his face at the lab ("Write that down")
Up until IM2 he was "limited by the technology of his time" but having the cube and/or the energy sample, he had high hopes that Tony would succeed where he could not, and left him clues.( as i'm sure the element composition was of a classified/dangerous nature.)
Fortune would have it that for Tony, it was necessary to save his own life, for him to succefully replicate that element.
(I guess up to that point, Palladium was the closest substitute that Howard/Tony found worked best to approximate the "cube" element)
That's just my theory.
I also found it interesting that in the POW factory, the huge round devices the HYDRA goons are lugging around, basically look like larger scale versions of the device Tony has in his chest.

-Hercules, Captain America #444
captainrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #43
Rock Sexton
Banned User

I dunno about anyone else, but every time I saw one of the Hydra agents, I kept thinking "Tie-Fighter pilot" from Star Wars.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #44
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Quote:
I dunno about anyone else, but every time I saw one of the Hydra agents, I kept thinking "Tie-Fighter pilot" from Star Wars.
I did too lol. I can't help but wonder if that was somewhat of a homage to the tiefighter pilot/stormtroopers.

This movie had so much reminders of old franchises like Indy Jones and Star Wars.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Spideyfan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:44 PM   #45
blah
Side-Kick

Heh... they kinda looked like the Pyro from TF2, the flame-thrower troopers kinda hammered it in, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrogers View Post
I believe we saw what was the first of 'arc reactor' technology in Cap. The battery device that Zola First makes in his lab that taps in and siphoned some of the cubes energies for a basically endless power supply for his designs is the precursor to what we see in Ironman. Steve taking the sample from the POW mission is what led Howard to begin all his modern work. If you look in his notebook (special features in IM2) you'll note the Tesseract studies, and his trying to replicate that single speck that blew up in his face at the lab ("Write that down")
Up until IM2 he was "limited by the technology of his time" but having the cube and/or the energy sample, he had high hopes that Tony would succeed where he could not, and left him clues.( as i'm sure the element composition was of a classified/dangerous nature.)
Fortune would have it that for Tony, it was necessary to save his own life, for him to succefully replicate that element.
(I guess up to that point, Palladium was the closest substitute that Howard/Tony found worked best to approximate the "cube" element)
That's just my theory.
I also found it interesting that in the POW factory, the huge round devices the HYDRA goons are lugging around, basically look like larger scale versions of the device Tony has in his chest.
Yes, I was thinking of something along those lines. But I'm ashamed to say that I have not really thought nor researched how the Arc Reactors are supposed to work.
Are they supposed to be like a radioactive fusion reactor of some sort?

All will be well.
blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #46
Project862006
Banned User

I am not sure if it is just me but Cap was by far the most interesting avenger thus far and what was also great was it was so refreshing to see a character who did'nt have a dark past or inner demons or a darker edge but just a good man with good morals and duty and not a selfish person just a honest to good man all around.

Chris Evans said it best about Cap

"Steve is a guy you follow into battle not because he is the biggest or fastest but because he is a man who makes sure you make it back alive"

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #47
Blade X
Side-Kick

I thought this movie was great. Best of all, Cap kept his mask on during the showdown with the Red Skull.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #48
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma

Saw this this past weekend and liked. I'd still put it below Thor and X-men FC though. Everything was awesome but there was something lacking. I think it was the Red Skull. He just didn't have the depth that we're accustomed to from villains recently. Hayley Atwell was uber hot and Tommy Lee Jones was excellent in every scene he was in. I'd give the film 7.5 - 8 out of 10.

My website :My NEW Fan Art thread
blksuperman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #49
Figs
Banned User

Just saw it a second time and I think I'll bump up my score from 3.5 to 4. Really enjoyed this movie. My gf didn't care for it though, mainly because she never cared for the character in the past.

Figs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:15 PM   #50
co2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity9999x View Post
Speaking of the Starks...I've been thinking.

How friggin old was Tony's Dad when Tony was born? Stark looked...maybe 21 at the youngest (and that's pushing it. I figured him to be at least 25). Tony's 45 at the most. If Cap went down at the end of the war...Stark Sr. must have still been at least around 50 when Tony was born.

Sounds to me like baby Tony was an "oops" baby.
That has always bothered me since the films first mentioned Tony's father being involved in the SS program during WWII. Maybe they should have went with Grandfather instead of Father.
Good thing we got a revolution of Marvel films this decade rather than later or they could never get away with that idea.