The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #51
co2
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blksuperman2 View Post
Everything was awesome but there was something lacking. I think it was the Red Skull. He just didn't have the depth that we're accustomed to from villains recently.
But I think that was in keeping with the era that they tried to make the film set in. Bad guys were bad guys and you didn't need to sympathize with them. Just like you didn't need a tortured hero. They just did the right thing....because it was right.
You cheered the hero and booed the villain, and Cap certainly is Marvel's tie to that era.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:28 PM   #52
Poetic Chaos
Hella fetch.

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

The more I think about it, the more l like it. The action was awesome. I loved everytime Cap threw his shield. And as someone has said, it was nice to see a hero who was just a good person. Tony and Thor have been set up as arrogant so Cap will definitely fit naturally into the leadership role, even not being the most powerful, just because of his inspiring attitude.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:50 PM   #53
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I've seen it 4 times so far(2 matinee, 2 full price) and I'm seeing it again tonight. It's pretty much the best time I've had in a theater since IM1 in 2008(saw that like a dozen times in theaters). I doubt I'll see Cap THAT much but probably 6-8 times before it's all over in theaters.

Boy, I thought I was extreme. I've seen it three times so far, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I plan to see it again, too, multiple times. But you make me look like a piker.

xeno000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 AM   #54
blksuperman2
Deadly Akuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2 View Post
But I think that was in keeping with the era that they tried to make the film set in. Bad guys were bad guys and you didn't need to sympathize with them. Just like you didn't need a tortured hero. They just did the right thing....because it was right.
You cheered the hero and booed the villain, and Cap certainly is Marvel's tie to that era.
I kinda see your point but seriously? The Hydra agents were shooting mystical laser beams at the allies. Red Skull just felt too 1 dimensional to me. Like I said it was a good movie I just felt like the villain was weak link.

My website :My NEW Fan Art thread
blksuperman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 AM   #55
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4rkShaDoWz View Post
After thinking about it, I'm starting to like the ending more and more. It's definitely not a traditional ending and it ends on a somber note, hinting at what's to come for Steve in the Avengers.

The way he says "I had a date." is just so powerful, in my opinion
There are some movies that naturally ought to end in a somber way, and Captain America is one of those. Spider-Man also ended sadly, with Norman Osborn dead, Harry vowing revenge and Peter rejecting Mary Jane's declaration of love because he feared for her safety. That worked, just as Cap's tragic loss did in his cinematic outing.

Even though I have known since I first read an Avengers comic book at the age of 5 how Cap's WWII sojourn ended, the ending of the movie still hit me like a kick in the gut. I suppose that's because it's one thing to read the character's musings about his fate in a comic book and another to see the whole story played out on screen. It had so much more emotional heft and impact after I had grown to care so much for Steve Rogers and Peggy Carter.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #56
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by co2 View Post
That has always bothered me since the films first mentioned Tony's father being involved in the SS program during WWII. Maybe they should have went with Grandfather instead of Father.
Good thing we got a revolution of Marvel films this decade rather than later or they could never get away with that idea.
It's not unrealistic that Howard Stark was involved in WWII yet fathered a child in the late 60s. Even if he had been 35 in 1945, he would only have been 55 in 1965. Plenty of men father children into their fifties, sixties and beyond, so that is not unrealistic. Sometimes it seems that the richer a man is, the longer he goes on having children. Many billionaires keep churning out kids with their younger wives up through their golden years.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:34 AM   #57
spider13
Side-Kick

I really like the film I think I'm going to go see it again. I would give the film a 8/10

spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #58
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

I saw it 3 times opening weekend. Going to see it in Imax this coming weekend.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #59
flickchick85
Loose Seal

Yeah, I'd say Howard was roughly 25 in 1945 and 45 when Tony was born (1965-ish). He looked easily in his 50's in that old Stark Expo footage from the 1970's.

01000110011011110111001000100000011001010111011001 10010101110010011110010010000001100001011101000110 11110110110100100000011000100110010101101100011011 11011011100110011101101001011011100110011100100000 01110100011011110010000001101101011001010010000001 10000101110011001000000110011101101111011011110110 01000010000001100010011001010110110001101111011011 10011001110111001100100000011101000110111100100000 01111001011011110111010100101110
flickchick85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:56 AM   #60
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

Finally saw Captain America tonight (Tuesday 7/26):

REALLY LIKED IT!

I thought it was better than Thor, but mostly because I always favor the more "realistic, grounded" superheroes than the "totally fantasy" type superheroes. Thor, being a god, in a world of gods, just isn't my cup of tea, even though I thought Thor was a really well-made movie. Captain America is more relate-able than Thor.

How does it stack up against other Marvel movies (that tie into The Avengers):

-I thought the film's score was the best for any Marvel movie.
-I thought the female lead was the best for any Marvel movie.
-I thought the villain was the best for any Marvel movie (I rank them: Red Skull, then Loki, then Obadiah, Ivan Vanko, the Abomination as my least). Hugo Weaving is an amazing actor. He took a pretty standard I-wanna-take-over-the-world type villain and made him fun to watch in every scene.
-I thought none of the Avengers tie-ins felt forced (like some of them did in Iron Man 2... in Iron Man 2 it felt like product placement, in Captain America it felt natural).

So Captain America, in my opinion, scored big time on four fronts (war terminology pun intended).

Marvel is kicking a$$ with these "Avengers Universe movies"

My rankings:

1. Iron Man
2. Captain America
3. Thor
4. Iron Man 2
5. Incredible Hulk (never found the character interesting, honestly. I find his "jekyll and hyde" dilemma to be a bit boring)

GregComicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:57 AM   #61
GregComicFan
movie and comic buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickchick85 View Post
Yeah, I'd say Howard was roughly 25 in 1945 and 45 when Tony was born (1965-ish). He looked easily in his 50's in that old Stark Expo footage from the 1970's.
Yeah I agree, Howard was like a kid in this movie. I bet he was probably the same age as Steve.

GregComicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:52 AM   #62
antonydelfini
Captain's Orders

I just saw it and here's my 2 cents.

POSITIVES:
1. Steve Rogers- he is very likeable. Chris Evans seems to have put his heart and soul into the role. He is Captain America and forever will be associated with the role. His character development in the first and 2nd arc of the film is engaging and emotional. Perfect casting.
2. Supporting characters- from Peggy, to Bucky, Philips, Zola, Howard, they all brought their A game. It's kinda sad thinking Peggy and General Philips won't have roles for the sequel (but they could have flashback scenes), they really made an impression here and their chemistry with Evans is fantastic. Peggy is the 2nd best love interest (Pfiefer's Catwoman remains number 1) for a superhero movie yet IMO.
3. Music- very heroic and adventurous theme, but it didn't have a catchy theme for Cap.
4. The tone, mood, and setting of the film- top notch production. Bravo to the filmmakers. This is the most interesting superhero film yet visually.
5. The first hour of the movie- great mix of action and character development. I actually thought it was going to be the best Marvel film yet, until

NEGATIVES:
1. The 2nd hour of the movie- after the Bucky rescue, the movie seemed to have lost its heart and focus. Character development stopped to a halt, and caring for the characters stopped as well. The pacing and editing are kind of sloppy in the 2nd half of the movie as well.
2. The action- uninspired, been there done that action scenes in the second half of the film. Iron Man also had this problem in the second half of the film, but at least it has the character development and emotional arc going for it. The 2nd half of Captain America had no engaging character development in the 2nd half making it a standard action fare.

Its an 8/10 for me. It's a great score, but kind of disappointing because I would have given it a 9/10 and would have seen it as the best Marvel film yet if the 2nd half continued to have the heart and soul of the first hour of the film. Evans rocked, even harder than Downey as Stark IMO. A great start for one of my favorite heroes, and bright future for him.

MARVEL STUDIOS MOVIE RANKING:
Iron Man 8.5/10
Thor 8.5/10
Captain America 8/10
The Incredible Hulk 7/10
Iron Man 2 6.5/10

antonydelfini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 AM   #63
Marvin
Side-Kick

I think marvel studios really shines when it works on these characters origins. When it's time to turn into action movies they kinda lose their creative spunk. This usually happens half way through their second acts. And sometimes through their entire movies(TIH/Thor).

Avengers which will most likely not be an origin story, I hope deals with this issue.
The characterization will be golden as always though, especially with Whedon on board.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #64
Steyin
Project Designer, LEED AP

Saw it last night and I must say I really enjoyed it. It has this sort of mystic to it that I haven't felt from a film in a while. Easily my second favorite Marvel film after IM.

8.5/10

My LEGO Gallery
Steyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #65
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Ok be honest how many of you wore the cap t-shirt when you saw the film ?

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #66
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I definitely wore mine. There were some guys at the midnight with a full costume and shield (didn't look that great but hey, A for effort). Several groups had matching Cap T's on.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:59 PM   #67
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I think marvel studios really shines when it works on these characters origins. When it's time to turn into action movies they kinda lose their creative spunk. This usually happens half way through their second acts. And sometimes through their entire movies(TIH/Thor).

Avengers which will most likely not be an origin story, I hope deals with this issue.
The characterization will be golden as always though, especially with Whedon on board.
TIH lacked action?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #68
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'm the opposite. I think Marvel does a great job on all acts of the film...but the second act is usualyl where they shine.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:44 PM   #69
Punisher_MAX
Ol' Painless

saw it again with my gf and the second viewing was better. everything that seemed off didnt seem as harsh. i think a lot of us felt the movie rushed by because of how excited we were on opening night. the movie definitely didnt seem as fast my second viewing, i got to take a lot of it in this time around.

the end hit me harder though

Old 07-27-2011, 02:10 PM   #70
captainrogers
Diluted SuperSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Guilty.

-Hercules, Captain America #444
captainrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:17 PM   #71
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Saw it for a 2nd time in 3D. First off, I liked it even better the 2nd viewing. I think the first time I was adjusting to how different of a CB movie it was. The 2nd time I could just sit back and enjoy. I think I gave it 8/10 on initial review, I think I'd up it to 8.5/10 now. It's just short of Iron Man good, but it's darn close.

Second of all, for a 3D post convert it wasn't bad. I think it was better done than Thor. Thor was a bit too dark in post convert, but I didn't feel that problem with Cap.

Tony Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #72
zmystico
Side-Kick

As a Batman/DC guy, this was really good. I had always been down on Capt. America because I felt he was a period superhero that no longer fit in the modern world. However I really liked it. I didn't care for his first assignment but it was part of the story, and Tommy Lee Jones stole a lot of the scenes. 8/10

Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 PM   #73
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
TIH lacked action?
never said that.

but now that you bring it up, I'm not too fond of the action in TIH, I think LL is the best action director Marvel has ever hired(so far) and it showed but the hulk kinda felt lacking for me. I think it was how de-powered he was in the film. Because of that it just came off as a fight between to big green cgi guys. I preferred the Ang Lee version will the super jumps and what not. And I can't stand films shot in my city. always takes me out.

At this point I don't go into marvel films hoping for amazing action. I honestly don't go into nolans film hoping for good action either. I just don't appreciate their flare for action. I think I'm just too accustomed to the moving camera of hong kong cinema...And blade of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostPoet View Post
I'm the opposite. I think Marvel does a great job on all acts of the film...but the second act is usualyl where they shine.
So think their action is better than their character work too? Their characters have all grown on me.

Last edited by Marvin; 07-27-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Marvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:31 PM   #74
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

Quote:
never said that.

but now that you bring it up, I'm not too fond of the action in TIH, I think LL is the best action director Marvel has ever hired(so far) and it showed but the hulk kinda felt lacking for me. I think it was how de-powered he was in the film. Because of that it just came off as a fight between to big green cgi guys. I preferred the Ang Lee version will the super jumps and what not. And I can't stand films shot in my city. always takes me out.

At this point I don't go into marvel films hoping for amazing action. I honestly don't go into nolans film hoping for good action either. I just don't appreciate their flare for action. I think I'm just too accustomed to the moving camera of hong kong cinema...And blade of course.
How does super jumping equate to action? Was he throwing tanks for 200 miles? No. But he caused plenty of destruction and had a knockout drag out fight that no other entity could in that film.

You're a hard one to please.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #75
Jennn
Side-Kick

Oh I totally wore a Cap shirt. Or tank actually. I saw it for the first time last friday morning and 3 different people commented/complimented it.

Having seen it twice now (and will probably see it at LEAST once more) I still love it. I also cried both times. lol I don't understand the reviews that think the romance between Steve and Peggy was forced. I thought it was brilliantly done. And while the ending was bittersweet, I think it ended well.

Jennn is offline   Reply With Quote