The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #76
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
How does super jumping equate to action? Was he throwing tanks for 200 miles? No. But he caused plenty of destruction and had a knockout drag out fight that no other entity could in that film.

You're a hard one to please.
Never said jumping equated to action, I just referenced it.

The desert scene of hulk vs army, thrilled me more than marvel's take on the the hulk vs the army(which was shot at my school)

Marvel just seems to always make things smaller and it's a disconnect for a reader like me. Hulk is the strongest there is and that thrills me passionately. Planet/WWHulk are some of my favorite books ever actually, and hen I think of what marvel would do and will do with hulk, I think very very small. Like jumping twenty feet as opposed to 4 miles small.

I am hard to please, I'll never hide that.

I really like the scene when cap jumps on the dummy grenade, the professor smiles. Great moment.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #77
samsnee
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Did we get this scene in the movie?

samsnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #78
Marvin
Side-Kick

Kind of a beautiful tragedy that cap is running around on a ship that would be his tomb for the better part of a century.

Would have been cool if they explored the interior of the ship at the beginning to convey a bit of this ala titanic.

I hate that picture by the way, sorry rock.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #79
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

OK so I just saw it. It opened today in my country. Saw it twice today actually.

Really, really, nice movie with a lot of heart!

GOOD POINTS
- Very good to excellent acting all round.
- Characterisations were spot on, especially STEVE ROGERS / CAPTAIN AMERICA.
- Really nice cinematography.
- Solid, entertaining action.
- A really good character driven story focused on the hero.
- Excellent humour.
- VFX, make-up (Red Skull looks so good), and production values on the whole were excellent.
- Brilliant ties to the rest of the MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE, and some lovely Easter eggs and homages (LOVED the Raiders of the Lost Ark reference).
- Ok I'll admit it. I LOVED the song: The star-spangled man!!!

CRITICISMS
- The ending was too abrupt for me. There was no finding CAP's body, realising he was alive, etc. I guess I was sort of expecting those things so it might be a expectation issue rather than a real criticism.
- The action could have been a bit more spectacular, especially CAP's fight choreography. He was portrayed more as an effective fighter rather than a spectacular one. Again this is more of a personal expectation and preference rather than a true criticism.
- The pacing is a bit too fast.

It's really an old-school styled movie. If that style doesn't appeal to you then you will not like it. Having grown up on the Indiana Jone movies it was great for me.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #80
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

This was the best avenger tie in movie imo. But TIH is almost tied with it. (thor gets 3rd)

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
scatterax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:01 PM   #81
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Rating 8.5/10; but that could go up on further viewings.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #82
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

7/10 Weakest Marvel Studios film to date.

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #83
captainrogers
Diluted SuperSoldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Well, the film isn't for everyone, I guess, upon repeat viewings, I feel it might be Marvels strongest film. It absolutely catered to my sensibilities, and was, hands down, the most beautifully shot film of the MCU thus far.
For the amount of story, it was very tricky to maintain a good pace, but I feel as tho, they accomplished that. In fact, my only complaint is that the movie could have been longer to help decompress the story(especially in the second half)
Sorry you didn't enjoy it as much. From the previews, I was hoping to get something akin to Indiana Jones and was pleasantly surprised with the result. It's been a while since I've had that old school sense of "fun" while watching a movie.
The ending, to me, was also poignant.

-Hercules, Captain America #444
captainrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #84
chiefchirpa
Haaa-rooooooo

9/10. Great film, filled with characterization. GL didn't work because it doesn't the audiences feel with the lead character. Not so with Cap A. True to Marvel, it's about the character(s) not the plot itself.

chiefchirpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #85
8Diagrams(WU)
Side-Kick

Well done. Fun movie. I laughed my ass off at the I can swim bit with the kid. The movie has that same Thor vibe: A movie that takes itself seriously, with some mild humor that does not make the movie cheesy.

Lucas Lee definitely was a good choice for Cap. Even though he had some sort of exposure before, you can buy him as Rogers. Something that was very difficult to shake off with Van Wilder in GL.

8Diagrams(WU) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #86
WildcatNC
I'm on a BOAT ***** !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Diagrams(WU) View Post
Well done. Fun movie. I laughed my ass off at the I can swim bit with the kid. The movie has that same Thor vibe: A movie that takes itself seriously, with some mild humor that does not make the movie cheesy.

Lucas Lee definitely was a good choice for Cap. Even though he had some sort of exposure before, you can buy him as Rogers. Something that was very difficult to shake off with Van Wilder in GL.
Is your user name in reference to Baguazhang by chance? Just curious.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 PM   #87
DeGenerate10
Br Ba

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Care to elaborate?

Old 07-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #88
GhostPoet
Side-Kick

I think they made a good move in making the first half of the film about Steve. It helps u know the man behind the mask before he comes Captain America. It gives the hero more depth. I posted my full review on my blog.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:11 PM   #89
HighFivingMF
Welp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterax View Post
This was the best avenger tie in movie imo. But TIH is almost tied with it. (thor gets 3rd)
I agree, except Iron Man is my third.

Evans is my favorite superhero leading-man now behind Reeve and Bale.

Tommy Lee Jones was goddamn awesome as well. Red Skull was a great villain, haven't seen much of Zola in the comics but I liked his part for what it was.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:18 PM   #90
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
Did we get this scene in the movie?
Wasn't that where he was in the plane?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:43 PM   #91
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

7/10 says Godman and his followers....

lolllll.....

It's marvels best film to date in my opinion. Sad to see it hasn't hit thor yet in box office numbers or in RT score (not that RT score means anything as we've learned from the "bias" in this thread). I want to see it go past Thor though, as he's a much more dynamic character and all around its a better film. For how much I enjoyed Thor, I'm surprised it did as well as it did cause 1. The character sucks (until Hemsworth) in comics and 2. virtually no one knows about him

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #92
Jennn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkull View Post
7/10 says Godman and his followers....

lolllll.....

It's marvels best film to date in my opinion. Sad to see it hasn't hit thor yet in box office numbers or in RT score (not that RT score means anything as we've learned from the "bias" in this thread). I want to see it go past Thor though, as he's a much more dynamic character and all around its a better film. For how much I enjoyed Thor, I'm surprised it did as well as it did cause 1. The character sucks (until Hemsworth) in comics and 2. virtually no one knows about him
Actually, Cap is currently at 77% on RT.

Jennn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #93
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Compared to the other films Joe directed, this is definitely his finest (I'm not that big of a fan of October Sky).

It will probably reach 80% on RT, also.

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #94
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

After seing it 5 times, my initial 8.5/10 is now getting pushed up to a 9/10. It's the 2nd best movie based on a Marvel character I've ever seen(after Iron Man 1) and is easily in my top 5 superhero films of all time.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #95
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkull View Post
2. virtually no one knows about him
That's not really a requirement. Many people went to see the latest f/x laden action flick. They didn't have to care that it was based on a comic book character.

http://myth-smith.com/
RockSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:24 PM   #96
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurm... View Post
Compared to the other films Joe directed, this is definitely his finest (I'm not that big of a fan of October Sky).

It will probably reach 80% on RT, also.
It'll need something like another 20-25 positive reviews in a row to get to 80%. Not impossible but unlikely.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #97
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
That's not really a requirement. Many people went to see the latest f/x laden action flick. They didn't have to care that it was based on a comic book character.
thats true. I'm just saying it's weak source material in comparison to cap

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #98
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Ha! 77% now. This movie just doesn't give up, does it?

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #99
spider13
Side-Kick

Is the movie close to the comics?

spider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #100
Spider-ManHero12
Web-Slinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Ha! 77% now. This movie just doesn't give up, does it?
Nope! it deserves to go higher, lol!

The Amazing Spider-man (2012) will be literally AMAZING!

A lean, silent figure slowly fades into the gathering darkness, aware at last that in this world, With Great Power There Must Also come Great Responsiblity - Amazing Fantasy #15

Happy 50th Anniversary, Spidey! 1962-2012
Spider-ManHero12 is offline   Reply With Quote