The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #101
CelticPredator
Banned User

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

One of the best of the year...I have to see it again.

CelticPredator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 PM   #102
marcvader
Lurker #1

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Ha! 77% now. This movie just doesn't give up, does it?
Didn't you know? He could do this all day.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:46 PM   #103
Project862006
Banned User

i loved this film so much i loved the cap character

you see Hollywood you dont need a hero to be damaged or dark to be good i found cap more intriguing and interesting and he did'nt need a dark past or an abundant of flaws

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 PM   #104
CelticPredator
Banned User

But he has flaws. At the beginning.

Flawed heroes are the best.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #105
Project862006
Banned User

not huge ones not saying he is mr perfect but a genuine nice guy is a warm welcome to mr gritty we seem to be drowned in

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:43 PM   #106
Marvin
Side-Kick

I missed it
when was he made a captain, or how did that come about?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #107
BattleCat
Side-Kick

9.5. Got to see it a 2nd time.

BattleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #108
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I missed it
when was he made a captain, or how did that come about?
The douche bag senator promoted him before the USO tour.

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM   #109
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleCat View Post
9.5. Got to see it a 2nd time.
The strange thing is, I enjoyed it MORE my second time. My mind wasn't racing and I was able to absorb the quality of the film and the performances. My rating went up after watching it again.

Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:49 PM   #110
hitmanyr2k
Resident Lurker

I saw CA again last night and took my wife this time around as well. My 2nd viewing in 2D was A LOT better than that crap 3D showing. I was surprised at how much detail I missed the first time around and the film looked so much better without having to wear the dark 3D glasses. My wife loved the movie. Her only complaint was she was disappointed in the ending because that means no more CA movies are going to be set in the 40's which she thought made CA unique and more enjoyable. That disappointment kind of subsided when she saw the Avenger trailer though lol.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #111
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Finally got a chance to see this. 7/10

rashad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:06 AM   #112
co2
Side-Kick

Went with my brother and his wife for my 2nd viewing tonight. They LOVED it. And I liked it even more this time. The romance felt much stronger this time.
I think this has climbed past TIH and iron man to become my favorite Marvel Studios film.

Old 07-29-2011, 12:25 AM   #113
Hurm...
GreenGoblin1964(2006)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k View Post
I saw CA again last night and took my wife this time around as well. My 2nd viewing in 2D was A LOT better than that crap 3D showing. I was surprised at how much detail I missed the first time around and the film looked so much better without having to wear the dark 3D glasses. My wife loved the movie. Her only complaint was she was disappointed in the ending because that means no more CA movies are going to be set in the 40's which she thought made CA unique and more enjoyable. That disappointment kind of subsided when she saw the Avenger trailer though lol.
Non-linear storytelling, my friend

BRRRRRRMMMMMMM

Hurm... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #114
Spade
Cool and Chiseled

I enjoyed it. I loved the characters, it felt large without getting confusing, and the message was worth remembering. Worst I can say is some of the shots were basic. But they worked, so that's that. I'll definitely watch it again.

Spade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:55 AM   #115
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Saw this for the 3rd time tonight. The movie is so goddamn rewatchable!

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:52 AM   #116
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
The douche bag senator promoted him before the USO tour.
ah thanks.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #117
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

I couldnt figure out which one was the president or which was the senator. such generic characters

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:04 AM   #118
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Posted in the wrong thread.

Finally got around to seeing Cap America today after it opened here yesterday, review as follows.

First up I don't know a hell of a lot about Captain America other than the basics, so I'm as clean a slate as you can get, I don't really know what is faithful, what isn't, so before anyone jumps on my back about 'that's how it is in the comics' let me say that all I can do is review what was presented to me,and in this case it's the third by the book, straight hitting, safety first, walking on eggs shells, scared of it's own shadow superhero film of the year.

Look, this film isn't bad, it's just rides along the same labourious level in every aspect, the characters, the story, the acting, it's all flat lined at a certain point and not once does it strive to do anymore than what it intends, and then there's the almost obligatory third act problems. These factors are being spread around other superhero films which is starting to make watching the genre outside of a Nolan Batman film a chore. I was hoping that maybe the period setting would have helped and it did to an extent, it had a genuine war film feel to it, but overall this suffers from the same issues I've had twice already this year (not as well avoided as the certain Norse god yet far more successful than a certain green space cop).

Evans is fine for what he's got to work with, I know he wasn't a popular choice but given his character is kind of a one note wonder he really doesn't have to do a hell of a lot. Steve Rogers to me is the least interesting of Marvel Studios leading characters, I get it that standing up for what you believe in and being a good man is noble, but it makes for such ordinary viewing. His character journey isn't a really deep one, I would have liked to have seen some struggle within in terms of dealing with what he's become, but there isn't much focus on that say for a scene or two, I'm hopeful however that he will have a better character arc next time given he's no longer in his own time period.

His relationship with Peggy is better than I expected, I don't know about these reviews that say it's the best superhero romance ever, although given there hasn't been a great history of such occurrences they may well be right. Their last conversation is probably the best part of the movie, in a film that lacks emotion at times this was a highlight, would have made more of an impact had he actually died of course, sort of a sombre reminder of the sacrifices of WW2, but that was never going to happen given the Avengers but hey one can dream right? lol.

Rest of the cast is good, but again not great, competent is probably the best word to use, no-one really tries to do anymore than what they need to. Hugo Weaving does his thing, Red Skull isn't all that menacing, not quite the weakest villain to date but not the best either, he's there to be the bad guy really and that's what we got. Tommy Lee Jones makes up for his disastrous Two Face, Haley Atwell is fine, Sebastien Stan also fine, again no-one was awful, but they weren't that interesting either.

Action wise it's pretty good, final battle on the jet is pretty good, a little cheesy a times but overall good, the action montage in the second act felt a little disjointed, I think the highlight is Steve saving the POW in the first Hydra hideout. I'll give kudos to the look of the film too, the cinematography really made it feel like a war film although seeing the Cap costume in and amongst it did kind of make me chuckle, but other than that the design is really great although there's a little too much use of CG backdrops on occasion, some real sets would have made a big difference, but overall this is a surprisingly grounded film for the most part, probably Marvel's most grounded. (Note on the small Steve CG thing, if you're gonna shrink the actor make his voice a higher pitch, it was hilarious seeing this small guy with a deep booming voice).

Overall, we end the year almost exactly where we began, out of the four superhero films this year this ranks 3rd for me, could have been higher had it tried to do more but it is what it is, a competently made superhero film that has it's issues but sets up nicely for the big team up movie next year. Not sure what to expect from that, just have to wait and see I guess.

Flat at times but a decent effort none the less and not nearly as stars and stripes flag waving as I anticipated. 6.5/10

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 AM   #119
CelticPredator
Banned User

Should've been more flag waving. It's Captain America after all.

Last edited by CelticPredator; 07-29-2011 at 06:22 AM.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #120
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

@ JMC

Do you have any idea how truly SICKENING you nolan-worshippers are?

Dude, if you all don't like real comicbook superhero movies, STOP WATCHING THEM!!!

Stick to watching watching nolan's crime drama's.

You guys really give the fans of this genre a bad name. It becoming truly unpleasant knowing that you cannot come on a site dedicated to this film genre and enjoy these film with other fans without some sickening n-w blurting out the sort of irreverent tripe you just did.

Honestly if there was a special showing of tdk somewhere and thousands of your ilk were in attendance when the building (and all inside) burned to the ground, I'd really JUMP FOR JOY!

For many people this movie was far superior to nolan's boring plot contrived tripe. I've seen it 3 times already, and have never been able to watch tdk a second time.

You guys just stick to the batman forums. It's kind of the arkham asylum for you were you all can repeatedly reiterate your crap to each other and not get on other fans nerves. But just like batman villains you all repeatedly escape to wreck annoyance.

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:10 AM   #121
Axl Van Sixx
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
@ JMC

Dude, if you all don't like real comicbook superhero movies, STOP WATCHING THEM!!!

You guys really give the fans of this genre a bad name. It becoming truly unpleasant knowing that you cannot come on a site dedicated to this film genre and enjoy these film with other fans without some sickening n-w blurting out the sort of irreverent tripe you just did.

Honestly if there was a special showing of tdk somewhere and thousands of your ilk were in attendance when the building (and all inside) burned to the ground, I'd really JUMP FOR JOY!

For many people this movie was far superior to nolan's boring plot contrived tripe. I've seen it 3 times already, and have never been able to watch tdk a second time.

You guys just stick to the batman forums. It's kind of the arkham asylum for you were you all can repeatedly reiterate your crap to each other and not get on other fans nerves. But just like batman villains you all repeatedly escape to wreck annoyance.
Although TDK-theatre-burning-to-the-ground was a bit extreme, I thought your overall comment was very funny and exactly what I've been thinking. The Nolan-worshippers are getting incredibly tiresome. Yeah, they were great movies (although I never thought BB was even that great to begin with, no pun intended). But they're not at some unreachable plateau. I love the whole superhero movie genre, and it really irks me whenever these guys compare EVERY SINGLE new movie to TDK. Apples and oranges...sometimes I just want a fun comic book movie.

"We know the freedom that argues against communism is the freedom to enslave and the freedom to exploit."—Blanqui

IMT supporter
Axl Van Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #122
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

Quote:
If there's one thing the Hype is known for, it's the maturity of it's posters. Jesus.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #123
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
@ JMC

It's these kinda of obnoxious fanboyish comments which makes me wonder why I bother posting in these forums anymore, I'm sick of the bull **** that accompanies these movies when someone doesn't conform to the opinion of everyone else.

jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #124
Whiskey Tango
#N7DAY14

I hate the stupid Tomatomaeter but I can't stop checking it. 78% now.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:38 AM   #125
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
Although TDK-theatre-burning-to-the-ground was a bit extreme, I thought your overall comment was very funny and exactly what I've been thinking. The Nolan-worshippers are getting incredibly tiresome. Yeah, they were great movies (although I never thought BB was even that great to begin with, no pun intended). But they're not at some unreachable plateau. I love the whole superhero movie genre, and it really irks me whenever these guys compare EVERY SINGLE new movie to TDK. Apples and oranges...sometimes I just want a fun comic book movie.
And sometimes, I want people to stop comparing things to TDK...and at the same time for others to NOT call attention to TDK worship, cause that is how it all starts. Then this becomes a Batman forum. So...NONE OF THAT!!!!

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote