The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

View Poll Results: Captain America or The Human Torch
Captain America 123 78.34%
The Human Torch 14 8.92%
Tie 20 12.74%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
Spider-Vader
Groot and Branches

Default Re: Captain America vs. The Human Torch - Which Chris Evans Performance Do You Prefer

His Cap was amazing, he did a pretty good Johnny Storm though. Torch & Thing were the only good things about those awful movies.

Old 07-26-2011, 05:18 AM   #27
DarKush
Side-Kick

Default Re: Captain America vs. The Human Torch - Which Chris Evans Performance Do You Prefer

I think he did a good job with both, but I liked his Human Torch better. I got to give him credit though, he really pulled off Steve Rogers.

DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:07 AM   #28
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
The fact that Chris Evans has the skills to effectively portray two characters from the MARVEL Universe that are like Polar Contrasts to each other really says a lot about his acting skills.

I mean, I would have never thought back in the day, that Chris Evans could play Steve so well due to how well he played Johnny Storm. Now, I can't imagine anyone playing Steve rogers other than him.
Exactly. If you look at him as Johnny Storm now, and think to yourself the same guy is playing Steve Rogers, you can't believe it or see it. But then when you actually watch him as Rogers, you absolutely believe it and you forget he is Johnny Storm.

Doctor Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:09 AM   #29
bell110
Drunk on Capitol Hill

I went Torch. He's good at cocky characters and has good timing. He was good as Cap, but I really think other people could have played that role just as good. So I'd prefer Evans as Torch over Cap, as I would prefer Reynolds as Deadpool over GL.

bell110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:28 AM   #30
Kirk Langstrom
FRANCINE!!!!

Cap by a mile.

His Johnny Storm was just a bit too much of a dick, but i guess that was more because of that horrible script than Chris' actual performance...

Old 07-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #31
Frodo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainStacy View Post
Cap by a mile.

His Johnny Storm was just a bit too much of a dick, but i guess that was more because of that horrible script than Chris' actual performance...
I agree. In my eyes , he's Captain America and that's it. He brought such a heart and humility to a character that has often been portrayed as a cardboard cut out . Evans is by far the best actor to play this role. I'm glad they went with him .

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:51 PM   #32
The Chris
TDK Trilogy Forever!

Cap

Maybe it's because the character itself and the fact that I can totally buy large groups of men following him into war and giving their lives, or maybe it's because everything that came out of Evans' mouth felt completely genuine and real. He was so likable and I can relate to him so much when he was the little guy who may have always lost the fight physically but never lost the fight mentally, because he never gave up. Then he became so admirable and inspiring as Captain America, finally having the physical attributes to match the heart that he had. None of this would shine through if Evans didn't shine. He was one of the few good things about the fantastic four movies, but he owns this. I feel vindicated too, because I kept telling my friends he can do it. I kept saying watch Sunshine, watch Street Kings. There's more to him than the smart mouth punk. He proved me right and more.

4. X-Men: Days of Future Past
5. The Raid 2
The Chris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 AM   #33
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

He was admittedly good in both roles. He completely embodied the personality of Johnny Storm in the FF movies, but that seems to be closer to his personality in real life. I guess he showed more range in Cap but I wouldn't have minded seeing more of his humour than just trying to portray Steve Rogers's earnestness and humility. At least he wasn't constantly hitting on Hayley Atwell in Cap and making lewd comments, which is what Johnny Storm would've been doing the whole time. Had he been Johnny Storm, I think Peggy would've not warmed to him at all for most of the movie, and it would've been the typical cliche of girl giving guy the cold shoulder, but finally giving in to him. As Rogers, Peggy always seemed fairly open to him but maintained a professional relationship too, except for the part where she caught him kissing the other girl and thought he had changed. However, it seemed as if she could still believe him when he said that it wasn't his doing and she realised that he was still as clueless about girls.

Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:28 AM   #34
Kurosawa
Banned User

His Torch was Great with the capital "G". He was the best thing about the FF movies. His Cap is even better. The guy can act, and he made the Cap movie work. It's just like the Original Star Wars trilogy-although it had a ton of things going for it, if Mark Hamill had not played Luke Skywalker as great and as sincerely as he did, it would have been corny and fake. I love good guy characters, and I put Evans' Cap in the same class as Hamill's Luke and Christopher Reeve's Superman. Without Evans performance, Cap would have been a fun movie. With his performance, it was a great movie.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:23 AM   #35
hugekent
Side-Kick

Captain America but in my mind it's not as easy a choice as the poll suggests. He was pretty perfect as the Human Torch but it is no where near as difficult a role as Cap.

hugekent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #36
Pinky021
Side-Kick

I think he played both roles very well, but as Cap it totally sold it for me, so I voted for Cap,, also is by far a better movie than F4...

Pinky021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:13 AM   #37
The Morningstar
Banned User

He portrayed both characters brilliantly I thought. But his Cap is better because it was written as a more three dimensional role.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 AM   #38
3dman27
super-hero wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey 2007 View Post
"Is that a trick question??"

he is Captain america now
qft

Old 08-03-2011, 11:08 PM   #39
Fudgie
Banned User

Cap.

His Johnny Storm was a shallow douche.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #40
Captain27

I didn't even realize Chris Evans was the guy who played the Torth until after I had already seen the movie twice - That is how well he pulled off cap, that not a bit of any of the Torch came through.
I was shocked when I found out he was in fantastic four, because I had seen both of them and did think he pulled off his character well, but never would have imagined based on those performances alone that he would make a good cap.

Captain27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #41
Captain27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
He was admittedly good in both roles. He completely embodied the personality of Johnny Storm in the FF movies, but that seems to be closer to his personality in real life. I guess he showed more range in Cap but I wouldn't have minded seeing more of his humour than just trying to portray Steve Rogers's earnestness and humility.
There was humor, it just came out in different ways.

Like when he was getting heckled by the crowd, or when that one secretary was coming onto him strongly and he didn't know how to react.

Both were well executed, funny, and demonstrated a nice part of about cap's character, that his humility and meekness can actually be a comedic attribute in contrast with the fact that he's an ass kicker on the battlefield.

Captain27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:49 AM   #42
dark_knight08
May 6, 2016

Chris Evans performance as Steve Rogers/Captain America was brilliant.

dark_knight08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #43
wolferine

100% for Steve Rogers.
That earnest man who wants to protect his people more than himself is very attractive.
Not saying that Torch sucks though, but it pales in comparison to Captain for Chris Evans at least

wolferine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #44
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

I think his Cap was better and I loved his Torch.

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #45
Mauser9910
Side-Kick

I say "tie", he did 100% of what both roles required.

Mauser9910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:02 AM   #46
Slushy
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

I loved him as Captain America, but I prefer his performance as The Human Torch, which was spot on!

Slushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 AM   #47
November Rain
Single Mother

I think he fits the torch role better. He's naturally comedic

I just can't see steven rogers or captain america when he's wearing the suit. To me it felt like a satirical character playing a serious one.

now don't get me wrong, i'm removing the quality of the films away from this equation. chris got far more screen time and much better quality scenes in cap which may swing his role but I still think if we were to replace actors in both roles, his johnny role would be harder to fill rather than his cap one.

I never got the essence of soldier from him in cap. I suppose it didn't help showing a large proportion of his missions being montages, I think we could have coped with one more raid being highlighted

maybe with the reality of the avengers coming out, i can't see chris confidently standing among all those great actors and coming across as commanding them through (or eventually leading them through if they break away from shield).

November Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #48
jld17
New User - Level 0

Definitely Captain America - Better movie all around. I didn't care much for the Fantastic Four movies - His character was the best acted and most believable though.

jld17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #49
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

He was good playing both The Human Torch and Captain America.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #50
Ursa
Villainess

Although he was the best thing in FF, Cap. America is one of his great performances.