The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 PM   #26
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Default Re: Official ASTONISHING X-MEN Discussion Thread

Good issue. I haven't bothered to read Way's issues, but they aren't needed for Gage's.

Old 05-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #27
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #39
Written by DANIEL WAY
Pencils & Cover by JASON PEARSON
“MONSTROUS”
Mentallo has taken over Monster Island and is controlling the minds of all the inhabitants. He already sent Fin Fang Foom to tear apart Tokyo, but what are his plans for the rest? And can three X-Men and one X-Man-In-Training stop a dozen mind-controlled monsters if Emma can’t get in Mentallo’s head? And if that’s not enough, one of the X-Men is changed forever. This is not a what-if, it is for real!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Old 06-14-2011, 07:41 PM   #28
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #42
Written by Christos Gage
Penciled by Juan Bobillo
Cover by Salvador Larroca
“Meanwhile…”
Storm, Beast, Colossus and Agent Brand have all been implanted with Broodlings and it’s only a matter of time until they are full-on Brood themselves. Only Kitty and Lockheed are left, but is there anything they can even do to help their teammates? This story comes to its amazing conclusion.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 AM   #29
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

That little Brood-child is kinda cute

Old 06-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #30
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

You pedo.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 PM   #31
ThDWgeek
Side-Kick

All I've read from Astonishing X-men is the first trade, but I do plan on getting as many others as I can.

ThDWgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:12 PM   #32
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #40
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE
Penciled by JUAN BOBILLO
Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA
I AM CAPTAIN AMERICA VARIANT BY Ed McGuinness
“MEANWHILE” Part 2 (of 3).
The Brood are terrorizing the X-Men again, but wiping out the terrifying parasitic aliens isn’t an option as they are an Endangered Species. Oh, and Agent Brand has been infected. Christos Gage (AVENGERS ACADEMY) and Juan Bobillo (SHE-HULK) bring you part 2 of the alternating story arc of the most thought-provoking X-Book!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 07-22-2011, 07:13 PM   #33
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Ok, this art I hate

Old 07-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #34
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

I don't hate it, but it doesn't hold up to close scrutiny.

Old 07-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #35
Bastila
Deathdealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
Ok, this art I hate
I agree, I'm finding it hard to read as I just don't like the look of them all!
Although I'm finding the Brood story more insteresting then Summers team.

LACUNA COIL
The cold never bothered me anyway

''For six centuries I was a loyal soldier to the vampire clan. But I was betrayed''
Bastila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #36
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #43
Written by JAMES ASMUS
Pencils by NICK BRADSHAW
Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS
Join us for a special told-in-one story with Emma Frost and Danger delivering on a promise back in ASTONISHING X-MEN #24. Don’t miss this confrontation that has been brewing since 2008!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM   #37
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

“It’s the cavalry.” – Wolverine

ASTONISHING X-MEN #41 (JUN110683)
Written by DANIEL WAY
Pencils by NICK BRADSHAW
Cover by SALVADOR LAROCCA
FOC – 8/1/11, ON SALE 8/31/11

Old 07-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #38
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Good lord, look at the cover to 43. Looks like Adams phoned in that face.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #39
Snikt8
X

What has happened to Astonishing???? This title is aweful now. This is the one title I hope changes the most after the schisim thing. They could have just moved Wolverine and his team to Astonishing....but then that wouldn't make financial sense....

Snikt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #40
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

What's so horrible about it? I haven't been reading Way's story, mind you, but Gage's has been random fun. The art's just a rough fit for the title.

Oh wait, is this going to be another installment of "lol Warren Ellis Sucks Happy Happy Fun Time?"

Old 08-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #41
OutcryX
Side-Kick

does Armour(Armor?) exist outside this title?

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #42
javi1024
DANGER ZONE!

shes seen in random appearances on Utopia like anyone else.

Nightcrawler: ".....British or Japanese Psylocke?"

PSN ID: Gizmo1024
playing Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 3, Rochard, Super Street Fighter 4
javi1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:29 PM   #43
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/asto...ne-110810.html

Interesting...

Old 08-10-2011, 02:35 PM   #44
OutcryX
Side-Kick

....yeah..my stomach isnt sitting right...well since Pak says its in continuity and after Schism...then its safe to assume that Cyclops doesn't die

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic

Last edited by OutcryX; 08-11-2011 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #45
OutcryX
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal Spoons View Post
Wednesday Q&A: Greg Pak

The new writer of Astonishing X-Men takes things back to basics and teases a kiss with major ramifications
Posted Aug 9, 2011 5:15 pm
Updated Aug 10, 2011 2:35 pm

By Chris Arrant
Despite the status quo of mutantkind being shaken to its core in X-MEN: SCHISM and the upcoming Regenesis, writer Greg Pak and artist Mike McKone aim to take ASTONISHING X-MEN back to basics.
Beginning with November’s ASTONISHING X-MEN #44, Pak and McKone unite to tell a story where Storm needs help from her longtime teammate, Cyclops. What can a weather-controlling mutant who rules an entire nation need from Scott Summers? This team-up promises to feature not just all-out action, but possibly a surprising romance.
Although Pak might be best known for his work on The Hulk, he’s ventured into the mutant of the Marvel Universe on numerous occasions with limited series focused on Magneto as well as the Phoenix Force. But his run on ASTONISHING X-MEN puts him at the heart of things, dealing with X-Men’s biggest players.
ASTONISHING X-MEN by John Cassaday Marvel.com: You’ve worked on the X-Men before Greg, but never at this scale. What do you have planned for ASTONISHING X-MEN to live up to the name?
Greg Pak: While reading and re-reading X-Men stories from various eras while prepping for this project, I came to a shocking realization: No other characters in comics have a better shot at making this grown man cry. There's just something about the way they relate to each other that kills me every time. And I think that emotional resonance is a huge part of how Joss Whedon and John Cassaday's ASTONISHING X-MEN dazzled me and you and everyone else in the planet. We were astonished not just by that absolutely gorgeous Cassaday art and the snappy dialogue, but because every brilliant quip was based on deeply compelling and suspenseful conflict between characters we love.
So with this new storyline, we're striving to blow minds with Mike McKone's incredible art and a wild scenario with big ideas and shocking implications for the X-Universe. But most importantly, I'm shooting for an emotional story that remains entirely true to the characters while exploring their relationships in ways we've never seen with repercussions we never imagined.
Marvel.com: Storm’s stood on her own for years as leader of the X-Men and the Morlocks, and most recently as Queen of Wakanda. What’s the special mission that she needs Cyclops’ help for?
Greg Pak: Storm doesn't really need anyone, does she? She's monumentally powerful, both in terms of sheer firepower and strength of character. But as our story begins, she's facing a challenge that only Cyclops can help her overcome. And it absolutely tears her apart—but not for the reasons you might think. There's a huge question at the core of this book about what it means to be a hero, and the answers will draw Ororo and Cyclops closer together than they've ever been.
ASTONISHING X-MEN #44 cover by Mike McKone Marvel.com: We heard about a kiss shared between Ororo and Scott. Out of all the love triangles in X-Men history, I don’t think they’ve ever locked lips—what’s going on?
Greg Pak: After Xavier, the X-Men's two greatest leaders are Scott and Ororo. They've borne responsibilities few others can conceive. And just those experiences alone should provide them [with] reasons to bond. But maybe they've just never had a moment to consider it; each has always seemed to be wrapped up in a wild romance with someone else. The current Scott/Emma and Storm/T'Challa relationships are amongst the most passionate in the Marvel Universe. So yes, what the heck is going on? I'll just say that everything that's happening is utterly inconceivable, but completely real, completely in character, and completely in continuity.
Marvel.com: In addition to Storm and Cyclops, who else plays a part in this book?
Greg Pak: The events of X-MEN: SCHISM will create an entirely new dynamic for the X-Universe. I'll just say that the ASTONISHING X-MEN book may be the only place you'll see certain heroes talking face-to-face.
Oh, and, Wolverine. I said it!
Marvel.com: So this book plays into what’s coming with the finale of X-MEN SCHISM?
Greg Pak: The book opens in the aftermath of X-MEN: SCHISM. New readers have no fear; you don't have to have read anything to jump on board. But if you've been compelled by X-MEN: SCHISM, this is a great place to follow some of its repercussions.
Marvel.com: You mentioned your collaborator on this, artist Mike McKone who’s hot off a run on AVENGERS ACADEMY. What do you hope for out of your work together?
Greg Pak: I am so ridiculously happy to be working with Mike on this book. He's tearing it up with his trademark clean lines, dynamic action, and phenomenal character work. And he's cranking up the sexy like nobody's business. Just look at that cover.
X-MEN: MAGNETO - TESTAMENT Marvel.com: You did X-MEN: PHOENIX – ENDSONG and X-MEN: PHOENIX – WARSONG early in your career, and your limited series X-MEN: MAGNETO -TESTAMENT has become one of the integral books in Magneto’s history. Does your previous work play into your run on ASTONISHING X-MEN in any way?
Greg Pak: I've loved every chance I've had to work with the X-Men and very much appreciate the kind words I've heard from fans over the years. So I'm absolutely bringing the experience I've had writing these characters to the new book, but this ASTONISHING X-MEN tale is definitely its own story. New readers in particular should feel very comfortable jumping on board. While the book absolutely fits into and contributes towards ongoing X-Men continuity, you don't have to have read a thing ahead of time to enjoy the heck out of it. Back to basics and out of this world, baby. Pre-order with your local retailer today!

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 08-10-2011, 04:32 PM   #46
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Junnnnnnnnnnnnnngle feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever.

Considering I don't think Pak can write all that well, I might have found a jumping-off point!

Old 08-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #47
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

It needs to be said again that Magneto: Testament was an amazing mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
Junnnnnnnnnnnnnngle feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeever.

Considering I don't think Pak can write all that well, I might have found a jumping-off point!
I love the books that he and Van Lente write but Idk who does the majority of the work so I guess I like Pak . I haven't bothered with AXM for years and see nothing interesting enough to jump back in.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:53 PM   #48
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

Didn't Pak write Phoenix: Endsong and Warsong?

I attribute the awesomeness of Hercules to Van Lente.

I kept with Astonishing for Ellis, then didn't buy the Way issues, and picked it back up for Gage.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:08 PM   #49
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

I want AXM to feel like as UXM and Adjectiveless; like the crap actually matters at the end of the day. That book just seems like the casual X-Men fan's comic book. I was mindblown that the Breakworld people showed up in a recent UXM arc.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 PM   #50
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

And it ****ing sucked.