The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 08-11-2011, 09:37 AM   #51
Spider-Nerd
Bring on the pressure

Default Re: Official ASTONISHING X-MEN Discussion Thread

So I guess these details about astonishing make it clear that scott isn't dying at the end of schism?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #52
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
And it ****ing sucked.
Cyclops was pretty herp n' derp in that arc and mad people got stabbed lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Nerd View Post
So I guess these details about astonishing make it clear that scott isn't dying at the end of schism?
Yup

/spoiler

Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM   #53
El Bastardo
Literary elitist

I can't believe people really thought he would off no evidence.

THAT is pretty herp-derp.

So is X-Men 15.1. Bad bad dialogue. I know this isn't that thread, but I must vent.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 PM   #54
Spider-Nerd
Bring on the pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post
I can't believe people really thought he would off no evidence.

THAT is pretty herp-derp.

So is X-Men 15.1. Bad bad dialogue. I know this isn't that thread, but I must vent.
Yeah, I mean I feel like he just died...was that really so long ago? I'm super old. On a side note I feel after the last 10 years worth of stories if he were to just randomly bite the bullet at the end would be anti-climatic. Anyway, rumors persist that next summer Jean's return is gonna be the big event so even if he died there's no way he'd stay dead for that long.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 PM   #55
Colossal Spoons
Gotterdammerung

So ready for that broad to come back. I wasn't reading comics when Scott and Jeeeaaaaaan were together so it'll be refreshing(Assuming they break the relationship with Emma)

Old 08-12-2011, 11:19 PM   #56
Snikt8
X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Nerd View Post
Yeah, I mean I feel like he just died...was that really so long ago? I'm super old. On a side note I feel after the last 10 years worth of stories if he were to just randomly bite the bullet at the end would be anti-climatic. Anyway, rumors persist that next summer Jean's return is gonna be the big event so even if he died there's no way he'd stay dead for that long.
Can't wait for them to bring back Jean...and it's too bad they didn't off Scott.

Snikt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #57
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #41
Written by DANIEL WAY
Pencils by NICK BRADSHAW
Cover by SALVADOR LAROCCA
“MONSTROUS”
The epic story pitting the X-Men and the Marvel Monsters comes to a startling conclusion! Rising star Nick Bradshaw (UNCANNY X-MEN ANNUAL) joins writer Daniel Way (DEADPOOL) to bring you the most exciting monster fight ever shown in a comic.
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 08-22-2011, 05:53 PM   #58
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #44
Written by GREG PAK
Pencils and Cover by MIKE MCKONE
GREG PAK (WORLD WAR HULK) and MIKE MCKONE (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) are here to put the ASTONISHING back in the X-Men. Storm needs Cyclops’ help with a special mission, but it ends up being much more than they bargained for. Oh, and they kiss. WHAT!?!? The biggest, most exciting X-Men story in years starts here!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #59
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Daniel May's line up of Kitty, Colossus, Cyclops, Emma, Scott, Beast and Wolverine will always be my faveourite. Though Breakworld did confuse me, and I don't like how he just ignors all the major events.

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:24 PM   #60
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Uh, do you mean Whedon? Cause Way just started on the book a few months ago and he's not using several of those characters.

Also, what major events did he "ignore"? Not every book has to automatically reference everything else, and Whedon says he did have to change things as he was going along due to events, like changing an conversation a character was having with Fury to having it with Hill due to him being taken out of SHIELD due to Secret War.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:13 AM   #61
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specter313 View Post
Uh, do you mean Whedon? Cause Way just started on the book a few months ago and he's not using several of those characters.

Also, what major events did he "ignore"? Not every book has to automatically reference everything else, and Whedon says he did have to change things as he was going along due to events, like changing an conversation a character was having with Fury to having it with Hill due to him being taken out of SHIELD due to Secret War.
Whendon, sorry Not allot of Astonishing in Britain I have read that he doesn't like including bit events in his stories. For example, in Breakworld, all the heros are together, despite the fact that Civil War was going on. I may be wrong, it was printed here in Britain that way.

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #62
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #42
Written by Christos Gage
Penciled by Juan Bobillo
Cover by Salvador Larroca
“Meanwhile...”
Storm, Beast, Colossus and Agent Brand have all been implanted with Broodlings and it’s only a matter of time until they are full-on Brood themselves. Only Kitty and Lockheed are left, but is there anything they can even do to help their teammates? This story comes to its amazing conclusion.
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99

Old 09-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #63
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #45
Written by GREG PAK
Pencils & Cover by MIKE MCKONE
Something isn't what it seems when Storm and Cyclops go to fight Sentinels. Who has kidnapped them, who are these familiar looking mutants and WHY DID STORM AND CYCLOPS KISS???
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 10-21-2011, 03:49 PM   #64
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #46
GREG PAK (W) • MIKE MCKONE (A/C)
• Cyclops teams up with alternate versions of your favorite X-Men
• What is the identity of the villain Saviour?!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 10-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #65
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #43
Written by JAMES ASMUS
Pencils by NICK BRADSHAW
Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS
Join us for a special told-in-one story with Emma Frost and Danger delivering on a promise back in ASTONISHING X-MEN #24. Don’t miss this confrontation that has been brewing since 2008!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #66
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #44
Written by GREG PAK
Pencils and Cover by MIKE MCKONE
GREG PAK (WORLD WAR HULK) and MIKE MCKONE
(AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) are here to put the ASTONISHING back in the X-Men. Storm needs Cyclops’ help with a special mission, but it ends up being much more than they bargained for. Oh, and they kiss. WHAT!?!? The biggest, most exciting X-Men story in years starts here!

Old 11-19-2011, 10:15 PM   #67
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

ASTONISHING X-MEN #47
GREG PAK (W) • MIKE MCKONE (A/C)
• The climactic conclusion to “Exalted”!
• Our world’s X-Men join the fight in an alternate dimension.
• How far will Cyclops go to save our world’s mutants?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Old 12-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #68
OutcryX
Side-Kick

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=35880

Marvel's last week was explosive with the announcement of "Avengers vs. X-Men" and their first-ever live webcast on the event. Now, Marvel kicks this week off this week in style with their Next Big Thing press conference call on a secret X-Men project with only a teaser image to pique our palette, with writer Marjorie Liu and artist Mike Perkins. Nick Lowe and Jeanine Schaeffer on hand to answer questions.
CBR News will be on hand LIVE to bring you the details on "Hulk: Season One," so stay tuned to CBR and keep refreshing your browser for our continued LIVE coverage!
Viscardi kicked off the call by revealing the new project is a new "Astonishing X-Men" creative team.
"Marjorie's been aching to get some X-Men team action," said Lowe, referencing that Liu had been a fan of the old "X-Men" cartoon.
This will be the first time that Liu had been writing a team book. "My solo series in some ways have been rarely truly solo," she said, mentioning that her solo books also revolve around other characters.
"I've actually been on the X-Men before very briefly," said Perkins, referring to his time inking "Deadly Genesis." The X-Men, their whole basis is setting a team feeling to the book. It's definitely a different approach as in the amount of characters per panel and the interaction of those characters."

The conversation then turned to the team lineup. "The first thing that people should know, whereas the previous arc of 'Astonishing,' this run of undecided end, this is on Wolverine's side of 'Regenesis,'" said Lowe. "The team will feature Wolverine as leader, but Lowe said that he is "far from being the heart of the book." The team consists of Warbird, who Liu was super-psyched about. Northstar, Gambit, Iceman, Cecelia Reyes and Karma will also be featured on Wolverine's "Astonishing" team.
"Originally, I wanted to keep the team really small, but as brainstorming continued … there were certain characters that I really wanted to write and that I thought would balance well with each other," said Liu.
"I'm particularly looking forward to tackling Iceman, because he's such a visual character that we can utilize," said Perkins, mentioning that he had been enjoying how Jason Aaron was using Iceman in "Wolverine and the X-Men."
Liu spoke briefly on the first issue, saying that there was a theme of moving and movement. "We've got Northstar moving back to New York and he's going to be living with his boyfriend, Kyle," she said. "Another side of it, we've got characters like Cecelia and Gambit circling each other and [Gambit] moving into his own apartment in Westchester." The first issue will settle in the team and introduce the villains, the Marauders.
Liu has added the Vanisher and Chimera to the Marauders, but did not comment on the rest of the current team line-up. "Chimera's a villainous who [uses] telekinetic dragons," she said.
"The opening section is definitely a James Bond balls-to-the wall action sort of thing," said Perkins. "You've got these relationship parts … but it's sandwiched by these amazing action sequences. In separate ways, they blow the Astonishing X-Men's world apart."
"We want to let people know that this is a new era of Astonishing X-Men that we're kicking off here. There are shocks and surprises coming," said Lowe.
Liu and Perkins spoke a bit more on the selection of the Marauders as the series' big bad. "Mike and I have been talking about the Marauders forever," said Liu. "They have a history of wreaking havok in the Marvel Universe. … From my point of view, I thought this was the perfect time to bring them on. Nothing is going to be exactly what it seems, but the Marauders are going to be a big part of it."
"It comes down to visual aspect for me, " said Perkins. "To get let loose upon these action scenes is just fantastic. The Marauders bring such a visual dynamite to the piece. I'm really looking forward to this."
As for the "Schism" status quo, Liu said that her run of "Astonishing" will keep the major feelings and fallout off to the side. "You won't see a big Cyclops versus Wolverine fight here. That's not what this book is for," said Lowe. "This is very much tied into Wolverine's side of the X-Men and the roles that [they] play at the school." Lowe elaborated, saying that "Wolverine and the X-Men" centered more around the student/teacher dynamic. "This is the book that's on Wolverine's side that doesn't give you the classes. That's the role that this book plays. It gives you the non-school-centric team on Wolverine's side." The book will also feature much more adult content, but is by no means a MAX title.
The two also spoke to their collaborative process, mentioning how easy it was to work with each other. "When you're telling a story like this, it's really important to get along and to brainstorm," said Liu.
"Marjorie knows so much about the characters and interactions and you can see that in her novels as well," said Perkins. "You can just tell that she knows how a team works."
Liu and Perkins said that Mr. Sinister won't be involved and Gambit's Marauders ties won't be mentioned. "I don't plan on spending a lot of time on it. That's not the focus of the story."
Unfortunately, the X-Office was pretty tight lipped on where the book would be going. "Some of the stuff that's going to happen in the first arc is really going to inform what happens next. It's really going to affect it in a big way."
"From an artistic point of view, I'm looking forward to the long run and developing these characters and screwing around with them," said Perkins.
As for X-23, Liu wasn't able to bring her onto the book for a variety of reasons, which she detailed. "Originally, I did want to bring X-23 onto the book but because Wolverine has his ideology, his mandate is that underage children are not able to fight," she said. "X-23 is still technically a child. Having her on the team would be a violation of his new mandate. Also, she's going to be a member of Avengers Academy and they're on the west coast."
With that the call wrapped, leaving us to wonder about the newest incarnation of "Astonishing X-Men" and the surprises in store for Wolverine's Westchester team.

MARVEL COMICS
White-washing the X-Men one minority at a time

-Manic

Last edited by OutcryX; 12-12-2011 at 02:56 PM.
OutcryX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #69
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Marvel's last week was explosive with the announcement of "Avengers vs. X-Men" and their first-ever live webcast on the event. Now, Marvel kicks this week off this week in style with their Next Big Thing press conference call on a new run of "Astonishing X-Men" beginning with Issue #48 with writer Marjorie Liu and artist Mike Perkins. X-Book editor Nick Lowe and Assistant Editor Jeanine Schaeffer were also on hand to answer questions.

Viscardi kicked off the call by revealing the new project is a new "Astonishing X-Men" creative team.

"Marjorie's been aching to get some X-Men team action," said Lowe, referencing that Liu had been a fan of the old "X-Men" cartoon.

This will be the first time that Liu had been writing a team book. "My solo series in some ways have been rarely truly solo," she said, mentioning that her characters, such as X-23 and Black Widow, also revolve around other secondary characters.

"I've actually been on the X-Men before very briefly," said Perkins, referring to his time inking "Deadly Genesis." "The X-Men, their whole basis is setting a team feeling to the book. It's definitely a different approach as in the amount of characters per panel and the interaction of those characters."

The conversation then turned to the team lineup. "The first thing that people should know, whereas the previous arc of 'Astonishing,' this run of undecided end, this is on Wolverine's side of 'Regenesis,'" said Lowe. "The team will feature Wolverine as leader, but Lowe said that he is "far from being the heart of the book." The team consists of Warbird, who Liu was super-psyched about. Northstar, Gambit, Iceman, Cecelia Reyes and Karma will also be featured on Wolverine's "Astonishing" team.

"Originally, I wanted to keep the team really small, but as brainstorming continued … there were certain characters that I really wanted to write and that I thought would balance well with each other," said Liu.

"I'm particularly looking forward to tackling Iceman, because he's such a visual character that we can utilize," said Perkins, mentioning that he had been enjoying how Jason Aaron was being used in "Wolverine and the X-Men."

Liu spoke briefly on the first issue, saying that there was a theme of moving and movement. "We've got Northstar moving back to New York and he's going to be living with his boyfriend, Kyle," she said. "Another side of it, we've got characters like Cecelia and Gambit circling each other and [Gambit] moving into his own apartment in Westchester." The first issue will settle in the team and introduce the villains, the Marauders.

Liu has added the Vanisher and Chimera to the team. "Chimera's a villainous who [uses] telekinetic dragons," she said.

"The opening section is definitely a James Bond balls-to-the wall action sort of thing," said Perkins. "You've got these relationship parts … but it's sandwiched by these amazing action sequences. In separate ways, they blow the Astonishing X-Men's world apart."

"We want to let people know that this is a new era of Astonishing X-Men that we're kicking off here. There are shocks and surprises coming," said Lowe.

Liu and Perkins spoke a bit more on the selection of the Marauders as the series' big bad. "Mike and I have been talking about the Marauders forever," said Liu. "They have a history of wreaking havok in the Marvel Universe. … From my point of view, I thought this was the perfect time to bring them on. Nothing is going to be exactly what it seems, but the Marauders are going to be a big part of it."

"It comes down to visual aspect for me, " said Perkins. "To get let loose upon these action scenes is just fantastic. The Marauders bring such a visual dynamite to the piece. I'm really looking forward to this."

As for the "Schism" status quo, Liu said that her run of "Astonishing" will keep the status quo off to the side. "You won't see a big Cyclops vs. Wolverine fight here. That's not what this book is for," said Lowe. "This is very much tied into Wolverine's side of the X-Men and the roles that [they] play at the school." Lowe elaborated, saying that "Wolverine and the X-Men" centered more around the student/teacher dynamic. "This is the book that's on Wolverine's side that doesn't give you the classes. That's the role that this book plays. It gives you the non-school-centric team on Wolverine's side." The book will also feature much more adult content, but is by no means a MAX title.

The two also spoke to their collaborative process, mentioning how easy it was to work with each other. "When you're telling a story like this, it's really important to get along and to brainstorm," said Liu.

"Marjorie knows so much about the characters and interactions and you can see that in her novels as well," said Perkins. "You can just tell that she knows how a team works."

Liu and Perkins said that Mr. Sinister won't be involved and Gambit's Marauders ties won't be mentioned. "I don't plan on spending a lot of time on it. That's not the focus of the story."

Unfortunately, the X-Office was pretty tight lipped on where the book would be going. "Some of the stuff that's going to happen in the first arc is really going to inform what happens next. It's really going to affect it in a big way."

"From an artistic point of view, I'm looking forward to the long run and developing these characters and screwing around with them," said Perkins.

As for X-23, Liu wasn't able to bring her onto the book for a variety of reasons, which she detailed. "Originally, I did want to bring X-23 onto the book but because Wolverine has his ideology, his mandate is that underage children are not able to fight," she said. "X-23 is still technically a child. Having her on the team would be a violation of his new mandate. Also, she's going to be a member of Avengers Academy and they're on the west coast."

With that the call ended.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=35880

Old 12-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #70
Generation Lee
Side-Kick

Guess what's back on my pull list. Glad Marvel are keeping hold of Marjorie Liu.

Generation Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #71
Jake Cassidy
Side-Kick

That is an awesome team.

Jake Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 AM   #72
OutcryX
Side-Kick

Warbird..as in Carol Danvers?? the Avenger? the non-mutant former Ms. Marvel? Or is this a new/different Warbird? though it doesn't matter, Wolverine's side is all inclusive, which is kinda sweet

...though Scott's side is inclusive as well..of robots...

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic

Last edited by OutcryX; 12-13-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:19 PM   #73
Generation Lee
Side-Kick

This Warbird is a Shi'ar she's Kid Gladiator's bodyguard from Wolverine & The X-Men, judging from how she looks I'd say she maybe related to a certain former ruling family.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 PM   #74
OutcryX
Side-Kick

Warbird should get to know Lifeguard and Slipstream...or is Lifeguard the only one that's part Shi'ar?

MARVEL COMICS

-Manic
Old 12-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #75
Generation Lee
Side-Kick

Lifeguard is after her Alien DNA kicked in Slipstream freaked out about it. I think they suggested they were half siblings then. Always liked his power shame no or else wrote him and he got depowered.