The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #326
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurius View Post
I have finally watched Captain America.

It's just what I expected: a bad movie. And it's very sad to say so, because I was hoping I was wrong.

Evans still has boyish looks and demeanour; the outfit is a watered down version of Captain America; Red Skull is not a villain, it's just make up and special effects, nothing else, a void character; Bucky's death is irrelevant, cause it doesn't have the perfect timing it has in the comics, leaving Cap hopeless and desperate at the end of the war, to wake up in another time and place: in the movie, it's just a cliché of "dead friend" that strenghtens his motivation; poor Atwell is also a cliché of the "strong woman". Etc, etc, etc.

The first act almost convinced me it would be a good ride: it has some "Riders of the Lost Ark" thing about it, but the cheap patriotic innuendo is already spoiling the story. After the first act, it's downright crap.

It's 3 out of 10, for me.

Even worse: the last photos from Cleveland are terrible. Captain America's look is a DISASTER. His boots look like sneakers, his cap and all his outfit are from some Comic Con (Thor is also looking cheap). How can they make such mistakes after almost 20 years of perfecting the translation comicbook - cinema? Beats me.

Oh well. Maybe it is the end of superhero movies. And seeing Catwoman in Nolan's upcoming Dark Knight Rises, doom is spread in all directions.
I'm not surprised at all that you didn't like it. You seemed predisposed to the result from day one. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you should acknowledge that you're in a very small minority.

Last edited by Crimson King; 08-17-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Crimson King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #327
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Default Re: The Official Captain America: The First Avenger Review Thread! - Part 1

Very very small minority

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #328
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Extremely inestimably miniscule minority

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:08 AM   #329
White_Knight191
Side-Kick

Just came back from the theatre.
Loved it! It was good imo, equal to Thor.

-Andrew Garfield
White_Knight191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:44 PM   #330
Kent
The Lord of Thwipp

Saw this last weekend. Quite enjoyed it. Proably on about the same level as Thor.

A few positives and negatives...

Negatives:
- Ending feels tacked on, especially since there's a moment earlier that feel like a natural ending to the movie.
- Red Skull wasn't very menacing.
- Some of the action could've been better.
- What happens in the end with the cube
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
most likely sending Red Skull to Asgard
isn't set up in any way earlier.
not even with like a mention to make sure not to touch it

Positives:
- A good few Raiders like moments. ("Fellas..." comes to mind)
- No painfully patriotic/jingoistic moments
- Alan Silvestri's score
- Actors and casting in general.
- Howard Stark!

Old 08-17-2011, 01:53 PM   #331
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
It's just what I expected: a bad movie.
LOL why am I not surprised? You hated the thing from the very beginning and everyone here knew you'd never give it a fair shake. "cheap patriotic innuendo" indeed. I have my doubts that you even saw the thing; if you had, you might at least have legitimate criticism.

Back to the ignore list with you, for good this time. If kingmatte hadn't quoted you I'd have missed this last post, which is full of crap just like everything else you've spewed out over the years. Good riddance.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:57 PM   #332
Kent
The Lord of Thwipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
"cheap patriotic innuendo" indeed.
Quite frankly I was kind of surprised at how little cheap patriotic innuendo there was in there. In fact I can't think of a single moment of it except possibly the song and dance bit, and that was obviously done with tongue placed squarely in cheek.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:52 PM   #333
captainrogers
Diluted SuperSoldier

Quote:

It's just what I expected: a bad movie. And it's very sad to say so, because I was hoping I was wrong.

Evans still has boyish looks and demeanour; the outfit is a watered down version of Captain America; Red Skull is not a villain, it's just make up and special effects, nothing else, a void character; Bucky's death is irrelevant, cause it doesn't have the perfect timing it has in the comics, leaving Cap hopeless and desperate at the end of the war, to wake up in another time and place: in the movie, it's just a cliché of "dead friend" that strenghtens his motivation; poor Atwell is also a cliché of the "strong woman". Etc, etc, etc.

The first act almost convinced me it would be a good ride: it has some "Riders of the Lost Ark" thing about it, but the cheap patriotic innuendo is already spoiling the story. After the first act, it's downright crap.

Even worse: the last photos from Cleveland are terrible. Captain America's look is a DISASTER. His boots look like sneakers, his cap and all his outfit are from some Comic Con (Thor is also looking cheap). How can they make such mistakes after almost 20 years of perfecting the translation comicbook - cinema? Beats me.

Oh well. Maybe it is the end of superhero movies. And seeing Catwoman in Nolan's upcoming Dark Knight Rises, doom is spread in all directions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5p8...e_gdata_player

-Hercules, Captain America #444
captainrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM   #334
steintym
Stay Frosty

Quote:
LOL why am I not surprised? You hated the thing from the very beginning and everyone here knew you'd never give it a fair shake. "cheap patriotic innuendo" indeed. I have my doubts that you even saw the thing; if you had, you might at least have legitimate criticism.

Back to the ignore list with you, for good this time. If kingmatte hadn't quoted you I'd have missed this last post, which is full of crap just like everything else you've spewed out over the years. Good riddance.
Hard to take seriously

steintym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #335
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:

Old 08-17-2011, 09:33 PM   #336
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:

I think this is the least shocking post I have seen all day.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:41 PM   #337
Parker Wayne
Yeah, I can fly.

Quote:

BRAVO MERCURIUS!

You have just posted one of the most predictably negative reviews on the site. Good job sir! I knew that if you were to ever post a review, it will make me wonder if we were watching the same movie.

Now, what am I going to say that you're wrong on now? Is it Evans not being a good Steve/Captain, Red Skull being not being a villain and being just make-up, or Hayley Atwell being a cliche' of a strong woman. In a surprise, I'll do Atwell (pun accidentally intended ).

Peggy Carter was more than a tough chick, she was a fully developed character who has not only shown she has the toughness of the soldier, but also she has the softness and sensitivity to not just any Soldier, but to Steve, and not for superficial reasons at all. Atwell was great who was very compelling, as she punches a guy and knocks him silly in the first scene she's in!

Evans did not have a Boyish demeanor. I didn't see Chris Evans. What I did see was Steve Rogers come to life. His determination, his demeanor, his willingness to do anything possible in order to be able to fight for his country in WWII because his strong belief in America ideals (even if it would get him arrested) was emphasized perfectly by Evans. I had no problems with the costume as we argued many times before, so I'm not even going down that road.

The Red Skull, is pure evil. He's just an maleficient bastard hell bent on taking over the world. There's no underdoing it, no underselling it, or no sympathetic bone in his body. Weaving did that well and I love that the movie didn't even make an effort to give a single grain of sympathy. He was a guy who attempted to be made a bigger evil than Hitler!

And Cheap patriotic innuendo? Honesty, I find that laughable. The USO show scenes were one of the most well done parts of the movie. It helped immerse us in that era even more while also giving Rogers inspiration for the costume. Speaking of Rogers, I'm glad that he enjoyed doing the USO shows and that gave him inspiration for the costume.

Mercurius, you bashed this movie since before Evans was cast. We knew you were going to hate. I was waiting on what excuses you would use. I still doubt you're even Captain America fan, and I don't think I've ever heard anything positive from you're mouth either. I'm gonna come to the conclusion of poor taste, but I really expect anything more from you anyway.

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #338
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

I stubble upon this review on youtube and I think jeff opinion is the best one that describes the movie perfectly .
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #339
Parker Wayne
Yeah, I can fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
BRAVO MERCURIUS!

You have just posted one of the most predictably negative reviews on the site. Good job sir! I knew that if you were to ever post a review, it will make me wonder if we were watching the same movie.

Now, what am I going to say that you're wrong on now? Is it Evans not being a good Steve/Captain, Red Skull being not being a villain and being just make-up, or Hayley Atwell being a cliche' of a strong woman. In a surprise, I'll do Atwell (pun accidentally intended ).

Peggy Carter was more than a tough chick, she was a fully developed character who has not only shown she has the toughness of the soldier, but also she has the softness and sensitivity to not just any Soldier, but to Steve, and not for superficial reasons at all. Atwell was great who was very compelling, as she punches a guy and knocks him silly in the first scene she's in!

Evans did not have a Boyish demeanor. I didn't see Chris Evans. What I did see was Steve Rogers come to life. His determination, his demeanor, his willingness to do anything possible in order to be able to fight for his country in WWII because his strong belief in America ideals (even if it would get him arrested) was emphasized perfectly by Evans. I had no problems with the costume as we argued many times before, so I'm not even going down that road.

The Red Skull, is pure evil. He's just an maleficient bastard hell bent on taking over the world. There's no underdoing it, no underselling it, or no sympathetic bone in his body. Weaving did that well and I love that the movie didn't even make an effort to give a single grain of sympathy. He was a guy who attempted to be made a bigger evil than Hitler!

And Cheap patriotic innuendo? Honesty, I find that laughable. The USO show scenes were one of the most well done parts of the movie. It helped immerse us in that era even more while also giving Rogers inspiration for the costume. Speaking of Rogers, I'm glad that he enjoyed doing the USO shows and that gave him inspiration for the costume.

Mercurius, you bashed this movie since before Evans was cast. We knew you were going to hate. I was waiting on what excuses you would use. I still doubt you're even Captain America fan, and I don't think I've ever heard anything positive from you're mouth either. I'm gonna come to the conclusion of poor taste, but I really expect anything more from you anyway.
The TL; DR version of my post (and my overall point):

Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:14 PM   #340
Mercurius
Merc with a mouth

Quote:

Quite surprised to see you come out of your hole, Whiskers. But certainly glad that you promise to go back there for good.

Adieu.

Mercurius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #341
BizarroAids
Heh

Quote:

SMALLVILLE
2001-2011
BizarroAids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #342
Mercurius
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
BRAVO MERCURIUS!

You can doubt whatever may please you, I'm really democratic, as opposed to those who can't take criticism here (and consider themselves Captain America fans, ha!).

As to the part in which you write reasonably and not personally: we disagree. Couldn't see the Red Skull as a threat, and his line saying that Captain America is "special" was the top of all his many weaknesses as a character (it is only there to give Cap the chance to say his cocky line).

Atwell is beautiful and talented, but her character is a common cliché, not a fully developed character: all we know about her is linked to what she is through Cap's eyes.

When the "right thing" is to enlist, when all the metaphors are concentrated in proving this point, you have patriotic mindwash running wild. Maybe you didn't notice, but I needed to point that out.

In Iron Man, the smart script revised his origin story to add some perspective: I was hoping the same would happen to Cap.

It is not Evans fault, of course, but he is, for me the wrong casting choice for the role.

I bashed the movie cause I felt it was going in the wrong direction. Now that I saw it, my concerns were justified.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:34 PM   #343
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Mercurius, don't say people who loved this movie are NOT Captain America fans. That is stupid and flat out asking for trouble in a Captain America forum. Now, no one should question your fandom. You don't like it? Then don't do the same thing. 2 wrongs don't make a right.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #344
Mercurius
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatte View Post
I'm not surprised at all that you didn't like it. You seemed predisposed to the result from day one. You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but you should acknowledge that you're in a very small minority.
Yep, I agree, kingmatte.

And I wouldn't trade my direct and honest evaluation for a thoughtless place in any kind of comfortable, ass-slaping majority.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:40 PM   #345
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Yep, I agree, kingmatte.

And I wouldn't trade my direct and honest evaluation for a thoughtless place in any kind of comfortable, ass-slaping majority.
I was nice in my last post (my mistake). Let me be more direct...Continue to show lack of respect, I punish you!

Old 08-17-2011, 10:42 PM   #346
Mercurius
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Mercurius, don't say people who loved this movie are NOT Captain America fans. That is stupid and flat out asking for trouble in a Captain America forum. Now, no one should question your fandom. You don't like it? Then don't do the same thing. 2 wrongs don't make a right.
I didn't say they aren't. Read again: I made a comparison of attitude.

I accept, without attacking, a different opinion (but I do react accordingly), they attack personally BECAUSE they want to silence criticism.

My point: it's easy to say one is a Captain America fan, at the same time and attack any different opinion. Even worse: personally.

That's more of a Red Skull kinda behaviour, I'd say.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #347
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

*edit*

Last edited by The Caped Knight; 08-17-2011 at 10:52 PM.
The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #348
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
I didn't say they aren't. Read again: I made a comparison of attitude.

I accept, without attacking, a different opinion (but I do react accordingly), they attack personally BECAUSE they want to silence criticism.

My point: it's easy to say one is a Captain America fan, at the same time and attack any different opinion. Even worse: personally.

That's more of a Red Skull kinda behaviour, I'd say.
You're not the only person to have posted negative points on this movie. Look over some of the threads. But, what I don't tolerate is flat out disrespect to an entire section of the site that you insult just to forward your agenda.

Basically, be civil in your critiques. Attack other posters/groups of posters (by lableing people as "ass-slapping majority" etc), and you force my hand.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #349
Mercurius
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
I was nice in my last post (my mistake). Let me be more direct...Continue to show lack of respect, I punish you!
Where's my lack of respect, above?

And tell me: do you happen to notice lack of respect from others towards me? In this page, for instance? Or you do not?

I can make a list of direct offenses to me personally or to what I said here. In this page. Without your diligent appeal to them not to.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #350
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
Wow can someone say over dramatic , It's no secret you were against this film from the get-go so your 100% BS negative review doesn't surprise me one bit . With that said I just find your review an absolute joke that just isn't meant to be take seriously .
Don't bring yourself down to the level of personal attacks, please. I don't want this to degenerate into a flame war.