The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Superman Returns

Old 08-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Rocketman
Side-Kick

Default Superman Returns made more money than Batman Begins.

I didn't know that.
Did you know that?

BATMAN BEGINS:
Budget: $150 million
Domestic: $205,343,774
+ Foreign: $167,366,241
= Worldwide: $372,710,015

SUPERMAN RETURNS:
Production Budget: $270 million
Domestic: $200,081,192
+ Foreign: $191,000,000
= Worldwide:$391,081,192

Domestically, Batman Begins only made 5 million more than Superman Returns.

Superman Returns also has a 76% Certified Fresh rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

I find it shocking that Batman Begins ended up getting a sequel and Superman didn't.

The critics like Superman Returns.
The movie was not a box office failure.
Seems like the general formula for a sequel.
What the hell happened?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM   #2
cronosred
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman Returns made more money than Batman Begins.

Notice the difference in the production budget prices.

cronosred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive

Batman Begins allowed the new franchise to go in any direction it wanted while Superman Returns was continuing a dead series and put it on the road to Whocaresville.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by cronosred View Post
The production budget is misleading. You have to remember all the failed Superman projects were added to the production budget of Superman Returns. Really Singer had somewhere between 180 to 200.

As for why it didn't get a sequel there were many factors that played into that.

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
LL2K2
End of an Era

And yet, one of the more ironic things about SR not getting a sequel is that Warner Bros. did greenlight a sequel in October 2006:

http://www.superherohype.com/feature...deal-confirmed

Quote:
Variety has confirmed that Bryan Singer has signed a deal with WarnerBros. Pictures to direct and produce a sequel to Superman Returns, with Legendary Pictures expected to co-finance.

The film is tentatively intended for release in summer 2009, although the studio stressed that there's not even a script or budget yet.

The sequel is apparently at the very beginning of the development process and, as with any other project, there are any number of factors that must be addressed before it is greenlit.

While Superman Returns wasn't the performer the studio had hoped for, it has earned more than $390 million worldwide and WB and Legendary say they will still turn a profit from the film.

The two companies are sure to insist that the sequel's production budget comes in under $200 million, adds the trade.

In terms of casting, Warner Bros. has an option on Superman Returns star Brandon Routh.

Source: Variety
(The article itself is in the Variety archives, and you need a subscription to view it.)

Old 09-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #6
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Notice that people don't care about budgets, they just go and see the movie.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
sf2
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Batman Begins allowed the new franchise to go in any direction it wanted while Superman Returns was continuing a dead series and put it on the road to Whocaresville.
most likely.

n WB didn't have a high confidence lvl in SR .

Old 09-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL2K2 View Post
And yet, one of the more ironic things about SR not getting a sequel is that Warner Bros. did greenlight a sequel in October 2006:
I hate it when studios do that and then change their minds later on, but I think WB still had hopes in that Bryan Singer would deliver a more action driven sequel in fact I think he even mentioned that the sequel would be bigger.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #9
SuperFerret
Class Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Notice that people don't care about budgets, they just go and see the movie.
I agree. I've never been one to put the money up on a pedestal as all important or any such crap, but a higher budget makes the profits smaller. For money made by the movie and not just covering the cost, Batman has more.

SuperFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

While SR made more money during its initial run, BB brought in well over twice as much in home video sales, rentals and television reruns.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #11
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Yeah Begins did better for itself.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #12
Bruce_Begins
I am still Green Goblin

The production budget that is quoted for Superman Returns is inflated figure, it is not 270 mil. out of that roughly 70 mil. was cost to the studiowhen they were trying to restart the franchise, in past WB had spent a lot of money in order to get Superman off ground, in the form of failed movie projects like Superman Lives, Superman FlyBy, the actual budget for Superman Returns was around 207 mil.

Out of that Singer did not use the Return to Krypton scene in the actual movie and that scene alone cost 10 mil.

If we look at the number of people who watched Batman Begins and Superman Returns then they are comparable, I know that DVD sales for BB were better than SR, but since we are comparing the Box Office performance of the two movies, that does not count.

*\S/T*
Bruce_Begins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:38 PM   #13
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
If we look at the number of people who watched Batman Begins and Superman Returns then they are comparable...
It’s too bad movie popularity isn’t measured in the same way as books or music – that is, number of “units” (copies or tickets) sold. In this way, you’d know both absolute and relative popularity (an apples-to-apples comparison). What this info wouldn’t tell you is whether the movie was profitable. But even with gross $ figures available, gauging profitability is a very rough guess anyway.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:37 PM   #14
Nevaratoiel
I don't bite... hard.

The problem now is, we can't do anything about it. Unfortunately. I would've like to see a sequel to Superman Returns. I've seen Batman Begins I didn't like it one bit. And I've liked Batman for a long time.... even more than Superman at some point, but that changed quickly after Lois & Clark (though looking back at it now... I cringe. Must've been the times)

Taylor Kitsch.org | Elfae.com
Nevaratoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
Fudgie
Banned User

Why didn't you like Batman Begins?

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #16
Nevaratoiel
I don't bite... hard.

Several reasons. Just to name a few.

- What's with the voice? Does Batman have some sort of throat infection? (the same problem I had with Dark Knight)
- The whole monster/anger issue.
-The story in general does nothing for me.
- The suit... especially the head piece, how can he move in that! (same problem I had with the Dark Knight)

And a whole bunch of other things, but it's been a while since I've saw it (think... 2005 when it was released)

The only reason I liked Dark Knight more than Batman Begins is because Heath Ledger played an awesome Joker.

Taylor Kitsch.org | Elfae.com
Nevaratoiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:21 AM   #17
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Well I loved Batman Begins better than Dark knight.
Nothing against Ledger's joker but Jack's Joker is just not toppable for one.
Dark Knight to ME was just missing something.
Could also be that I knew the landscappers that worked on BB and alot of the Batmobile scenes were film where I was living in Lake county Ill. at the time too. lol

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 AM   #18
BatmanMoviesFan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Well I loved Batman Begins better than Dark knight.
Nothing against Ledger's joker but Jack's Joker is just not toppable for one.
Dark Knight to ME was just missing something.
Could also be that I knew the landscappers that worked on BB and alot of the Batmobile scenes were film where I was living in Lake county Ill. at the time too. lol

im curious to what makes jacks joker better than ledgers joker in your eyes.. see for me ledgers joker was magnificent. the sadistic twist to the humor was incredible

BatmanMoviesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:19 AM   #19
uniqueweasel
Don't Drink and Bake

I wonder if perhaps promotion had something to do with it too, I only remember a few MTV spots for Batman Begins, where Superman had quite a bit of promotion behind it. As far as the movies go I just simply felt that it didn't feel like a Superman movie. And Batman Begins created a very believable story but still had some weaknesses as some have mentioned.

uniqueweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #20
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I absolutely loved SR, it got me into Superman as a character and got me into reading the comics also. I would have loved to see it turn into a franchise and I think Singer would have made an amazing sequel.

Apparently Darkseid was going to be the villain so I think it would have been amazing as he is my favourite Supes villain, a real shame we never got to see it. I am looking forward to MOS at the same time though.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #21
The Morningstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmanMoviesFan View Post
im curious to what makes jacks joker better than ledgers joker in your eyes.. see for me ledgers joker was magnificent. the sadistic twist to the humor was incredible
Yea, Jack's Joker had no sadistic humour. I mean, electrocuting a guy to death with a hand buzzer then holding a conversation with the charred corpse isn't disturbing or humorous at all...

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
elgaz
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I didn't know that.
Did you know that?

BATMAN BEGINS:
Budget: $150 million
Domestic: $205,343,774
+ Foreign: $167,366,241
= Worldwide: $372,710,015

SUPERMAN RETURNS:
Production Budget: $270 million
Domestic: $200,081,192
+ Foreign: $191,000,000
= Worldwide:$391,081,192

Domestically, Batman Begins only made 5 million more than Superman Returns.

Superman Returns also has a 76% Certified Fresh rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

I find it shocking that Batman Begins ended up getting a sequel and Superman didn't.

The critics like Superman Returns.
The movie was not a box office failure.
Seems like the general formula for a sequel.
What the hell happened?
You know those films that get mauled by critics, and/or fare badly at the box office .................... then become cult hits and garner much more success years later? Like Event Horizon, Highlander, The Big Lebowski, Fight Club, Blade Runner, Shawshank Redemption?

I view Superman Returns as the antithesis of that. It actually did well critically and financially, all things considered, but as time has passed people have gone completely off the film.

I'm one of them. Saw it at the cinema in 2006, loved it ........ now I can barely sit through it. I think there was a craving amongst the general public (and fans) for a Superman film after a 25yr hiatius, and when it finally appeared, people went mad for it. It was very 'new' to everyone. The film had some powerful scenes (the plane save, the stabbing, lifting New Kryton and sacrificing himself at the end) which made a bit of an impact on your first viewing.

The film just doesn't hold up to repeat viewings though; you start to realise the whole superkid plotline is a bit silly, as is Luthor's real estate scam, and Routh/Bosworth lack any chemistry and both come across a bit wooden. And I'm only skimming the surface there in terms of what I don't like about it now.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
You know those films that get mauled by critics, and/or fare badly at the box office .................... then become cult hits and garner much more success years later? Like Event Horizon, Highlander, The Big Lebowski, Fight Club, Blade Runner, Shawshank Redemption?

I view Superman Returns as the antithesis of that. It actually did well critically and financially, all things considered, but as time has passed people have gone completely off the film.

I'm one of them. Saw it at the cinema in 2006, loved it ........ now I can barely sit through it. I think there was a craving amongst the general public (and fans) for a Superman film after a 25yr hiatius, and when it finally appeared, people went mad for it. It was very 'new' to everyone. The film had some powerful scenes (the plane save, the stabbing, lifting New Kryton and sacrificing himself at the end) which made a bit of an impact on your first viewing.

The film just doesn't hold up to repeat viewings though; you start to realise the whole superkid plotline is a bit silly, as is Luthor's real estate scam, and Routh/Bosworth lack any chemistry and both come across a bit wooden. And I'm only skimming the surface there in terms of what I don't like about it now.

Funnily enough I am the opposite, I liked SR when I first watched it in the cinema, through repeat viewings at the cinema and on DVD and eventually blu-ray I have grown to love the movie, I still do. I dont watch it as frequently as I used to, but I do that with all movies after so many viewings. But every now and then I'll get them out to watch, SR is the same, even though I have noticed the flaws in the movie upon subsequent viewings also.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #24
bonoferox
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
That doesn't necessarily hold true for everyone. I loved it back on opening night in 2006 and still enjoy watching it today. I don't find it perfect and of course it has faults, but I still liked what Singer did and would have loved to have seen him continue the story further.

bonoferox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #25
elgaz
Side-Kick

Obviously I'm generalising here - everyone has their own opinions on the film, but from reading the Hype forums over the last few years there's more dissatisfaction with SR than there is satisfaction.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote