The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 AM   #201
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Default Re: Anyone else think that nolans movies arent really "Batman movies"?

Well, a normal looking guy pretty much

Old 08-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #202
Rocketman
Side-Kick

The only thing that irritates me about Nolan's movies is Gotham. Gotham isn't Gotham but rather Chicago, and it's annoying. That's my one and only real complaint.

If I had a gun to my head and was forced to name one more gripe, it's this: Joe Chill being dead. Chill should've never been killed. My whole perspective of Batman is that he's mentally convinced himself that he's going after Joe Chill every night whenever he's beating up criminals, and when he's looking at a bad guy in the eyes, he's pretending it's Chill. Chill being dead takes all that away. Him being alive is a symbol of the injustice that Batman can never defeat.

One more thing: Robin shouldn't be viewed as something "bad" in this franchise. If we're only basing the character on Burt Ward and Joel Schumacher, you simply don't know the character. There's rich storytelling there that can be great in live action. I'm disappointed that Nolan doesn't see that.

One LAST thing: Rachel Dawes should've NEVER been in this franchise. Her character should've been replaced by Harvey Dent, and Harvey should've been Bruce's childhood friend in Batman Begins. There should've been NO love interest at all until Catwoman in TDKR.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #203
akfj
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
The only thing that irritates me about Nolan's movies is Gotham. Gotham isn't Gotham but rather Chicago, and it's annoying. That's my one and only real complaint.
Well, soon it's also going to be Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and New York.

akfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 03:07 PM   #204
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:

If I had a gun to my head and was forced to name one more gripe, it's this: Joe Chill being dead. Chill should've never been killed. My whole perspective of Batman is that he's mentally convinced himself that he's going after Joe Chill every night whenever he's beating up criminals, and when he's looking at a bad guy in the eyes, he's pretending it's Chill. Chill being dead takes all that away. Him being alive is a symbol of the injustice that Batman can never defeat.

One more thing: Robin shouldn't be viewed as something "bad" in this franchise. If we're only basing the character on Burt Ward and Joel Schumacher, you simply don't know the character. There's rich storytelling there that can be great in live action. I'm disappointed that Nolan doesn't see that.

One LAST thing: Rachel Dawes should've NEVER been in this franchise. Her character should've been replaced by Harvey Dent, and Harvey should've been Bruce's childhood friend in Batman Begins. There should've been NO love interest at all until Catwoman in TDKR.
The thing about Robin is that, while I have nothing at all against the character, he isn't that necessary for a Batman story. I don't think Nolan hates Robin, I think he just feels that Robin doesn't have a place in the story he wants to tell. I can't blame him. Many of the Batman stories he is using for reference exclude Robin, and indeed, many of my favorite Batman stories don't have Robin in them. There are more reasons to not use Robin than "basing one's understanding of the character on Burt Ward and Joel Schumacher".

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #205
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Quote:
I grew up during the Breyfogle/Grant run and their Gotham looked pretty much like any normal American city so I have no complaints about that whatsoever

Quote:
Hmm, but thats how it was in the comics,in both pre and post Infinite Crisis versions. In both continuities Chill was killed in front of Batman

Quote:
Well, for one, Robin completely changed the tone and personality of the stories when he arrived. And changed Batman. I grew up reading Batman as a lone figure, so from personal perspective Batman working with someone just doesnt feel like Batman for me, not THE Batman I know. Then there are the logistical issues - no one , and certainly not Batman, would ever put a teenage kid in a danger like that and work with a kid doing something like this. This was an issue that was raised even at the time Robin was being developed, already called as something that doesnt make sense but eventually justified with the fact that its a fantasy comic book. Not to mention an identity will never be hidden with a mask like that. I loved Tim Drake because for years his job was to sit in the batcave and do the detective work, and he actually had some pretty interesting subplots this way, while Batman was always alone on the streets and barely communicating with him in the cave

Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #206
AndrewGilkison
Side-Kick

Quote:
I think it works as a way to make Batman's mission bigger than revenge on any one criminal. That is all Chill is, a mugger who robbed people at gun point. If it wasn't him, it would've been someone else that gunned the Waynes down. Bruce in Begins wanted to kill the murderer of his parents but couldn't because a more powerful criminal had him shot first. That was a perfect way to make Bruce think about justice in a less selfish way, because Gotham's problems were bigger than any one criminal.

Quote:
That would've been a cool way to go, but it certainly would've made TDK very different.

AndrewGilkison is online now   Reply With Quote