Default Re: The Official Superman Marketing Campaign Thread

souperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 AM   #27
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Cavill is an unknown to the general masses. They have no idea who he is. All they know is he's British and he's the new Superman. Just about every actor has a fanbase and that doesn't mean anything.

As for the big-name cast, yes it's bigger than Returns had. But they opted for unknowns and character-actors. Something that's economically more feasible for studios (read: cheaper) and done more often. But is that cast going to secure rear-ends on seats during the opening weekend? It didn't for Batman Begins or The Incredible Hulk. It rarely does, to be honest, as great as The Man of Steel's cast is.
While I don't think it's an EASY sell exactly, I do think it has advantages this time around, and the two points above are clearly a couple of them.

1. Cavill isn't very well known. Yet.

But he has the lead in 'Immortals' this November, and then the lead in 'The Cold Light of Day' next year, next to Bruce Willis and Sigourney Weaver.

I'm not saying he'll be a well known actor or anything because of that, but it makes it clear to the public, and any journalists/critics reporting on it, that the new Superman is a current up and coming actor who has not landed this role solely because he looks like Reeve or is a good height.

2. Again, it's not guaranteed to get bums in seats, but heading posters with 'Russell Crowe' 'Kevin Costner' and to a lesser extent 'Amy Adams' will give them some clout. Just like being able to head it with Chris Nolan's name, or lines like 'From the creative minds behind The Dark Night and Inception, and the visionary director of Watchmen and 300.'

Those are opportunities that SR just never had, perhaps with the exception of Spacey.

And it's the COMBINATION of advantages that this film has that make me feel positive bums will be in seats.

1.Well known and respected names for the producer, writer and director.

2. Well known and respected actors in supporting roles

3. An up and coming talent in the lead role, who is widely considered to have sex appeal.

4. A director that is assosiated with both great action scenes and great visual flare.

5. A villain that is not unheard of to the GA but not overused like they might feel Lex Luthor has been. (I think it's smart to avoid using him in the first movie, gain the audiences trust that everything about this is new and different, and THEN introduce a new Lex when they are less likely to just say 'oh Lex again').

6. A completely new suit that has at least created buzz about the film.

7. Plenty of time from filming until release to get everything just right.

8. The effects company Double Negative, that dealt with Inception, 2012, many of the Harry Potters including the final installment, and many many more impressive films.

9. Timing that doesn't appear yet to conflict with some overshadowing competition for box office numbers.

I'm not saying it's a guaranteed success. Plenty of things could go wrong. And the movie could still be awful.

But when you put all of that together, it's overwhelmingly positive

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 09-16-2011 at 05:05 AM.
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #28
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Post Re: The Official Superman Marketing Campaign Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
Isn't LibidoLoca a girl? Just asking as people are saying "He" and "Bro", I'm confussed.
All you need is my screen name and a little knowledge in the Spanish language to know. aka I'm a girl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
For side PR- I say come with a good Superman Video Game for once, like what Arkham Asylum did for Batman. Get Paul Jr Designs to build a Sups bike, get the movie sposered by McDonalds, happy meals etc, and come out with a line of MOS Depends diapers.

There you go, you cover all age groups!

I love it. Although, I think WB/DC will go after someone like Burger King or Subway for a kids meal plan. But anything is better than the Green Lantern avacado-Subway campaign.

Also the MOS Depends will look like the trunks just to keep fans happy.

LibidoLoca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:26 AM   #29
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

^^^

Kk, what I thought. I know exactly what your name means, I LMAO the first time I seen it, very friskay on your part I only asked as I thought you may possibly be a "Switch Hitter" of some sort. lol Never know with the He and Bro comments shooting ur way

LOL at the "trunk" depends, that would def shut up some of the "older" haters of the new suit

Last edited by EtherMagic; 09-16-2011 at 06:29 AM.
EtherMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:33 AM   #30
FilmNerdJamie
The Mod You Deserve
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
Immortals may do poorly or it could be a success. It's not a huge budget movie. It has a budget of $115 million with a November release date.
$115 million is pretty big. Besides the real budget is way more than that. Studios always lie about the actual numbers they spent to make a movie (Hence the phrase "Hollywood accounting") and the movie went through heavy reshoots this summer right before Cavill jumped on The Man of Steel full time. Plus Immortals is opening the weekend before the juggernaut also known as Twilight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanboiii View Post
I doubt the MOS interviews he's done so far is part of his job this early on.
The moment he signed on to play Superman, yes it was a part of his job.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #31
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Looks like we may be getting some MOS sweepstakes with Coca-Cola. And I heard 7/11 will be getting special MOS slushie cups.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #32
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

^^^

Funny, I never thought of the marketing when 1st looking at this pic, nice catch I got a 7-11 half a block from the house, that slushie cup is mine!

I believe it was FilmNerdJamie who was asking for a better drink after seeing this pic. lol

I prefer Pepsi myself

EtherMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:26 AM   #33
Krumm
Beer Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
And I heard 7/11 will be getting special MOS slushie cups.
Yeah, I really went for those Slurpee cups when SR came out. So much so that I had them give me the window display of the shield cup because they didn't have any.

At times, I lead a sad life...

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #34
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluchak View Post
If theres one thing that Zack Synder's movies do, its have kick ass trailers. Seriously. The guy is a master at action sequences. The trailer will probably blow people away. This is an easy sell, guys.
I don't think it will be particulary an easy sell, but it certainly has many advantages like hopefulsuicide said.

I think Snyder did an amazing job with Watchmen. I finally saw it, not as bad as some had made it out to be. It certainly is bleak, but what else did people expect from the source material.

I also love this trailer. (I think it's official) I would like something like this for MOS, maybe replace the music with bits from the actual score.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

I was looking for the official teaser and only could find fan-made ones.

Last edited by LibidoLoca; 09-16-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #35
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Spiderman meets Independence Day meets The Dark Knight

Serious popcorn.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #36
souperman
Side-Dish

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
All you need is my screen name and a little knowledge in the Spanish language to know. aka I'm a girl.

I love it. Although, I think WB/DC will go after someone like Burger King or Subway for a kids meal plan. But anything is better than the Green Lantern avacado-Subway campaign.

Also the MOS Depends will look like the trunks just to keep fans happy.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #37
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

^sauce.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #38
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Should they do a Superbowl spot for this film? Will it be effective or just money down the drain?

Old 09-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #39
souperman
Side-Dish

opening soon...

Lois: Call me Lois. Come on, I'll take you to lunch and show you the ropes.
Clark: That'd be great Lois ,...but no Shawarma.

http://soupermanshh.deviantart.com/
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM   #40
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman View Post
opening soon...

Okay, I get that it's metal, but isn't there any backgrounds a bit more exciting than a Garage door?

Otherwise, that's pretty cool!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #41
souperman
Side-Dish

any suggestions?

Old 09-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #42
souperman
Side-Dish

for our friend across the pond

Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #43
ProjectionList
Newbie First Class

A few thoughts:

- Comic-Con 2012 is Thursday, July 12 through Sunday, July 15. I'd be willing to bet that this will be the public's first look at any footage from the film. Not only is Comic-Con the most ideal forum to debut such material, but the timing is absolutely perfect, because the very next week...

- The Dark Knight Rises hits theaters on July 20, 2012. My guess is that that a teaser trailer, along with an extended first-look (a sizzle real with a few clips, etc.), will debut at Comic-Con, and then the teaser trailer (only) will be released online and in theaters for the general public with The Dark Knight Rises a few days later, as has already been speculated. I'd honestly be shocked if we got any footage before either of these events, and I'd be even more shocked if we didn't get any footage with either.

- The next trailer after the initial one will almost certainly arrive with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on December 14, 2012. Both Man of Steel and The Hobbit are Warner Bros. properties, and, just as with The Dark Knight Rises, the pairing makes perfect sense. In fact, the last time Warner Bros. had a huge, blockbuster Christmas release followed by a huge, blockbuster release the next summer, it was Christmas 2007/Summer 2008 with I Am Legend and The Dark Knight, respectively. And we all remember how that turned out. Warner Bros. debuted the entire opening sequence of The Dark Knight before IMAX prints of I Am Legend. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar with Man of Steel and prints of The Hobbit, like premiering an entire sequence.

- I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of this happening with prints of The Dark Knight Rises either. What will set the marketing apart for Man of Steel from films of similar caliber is that all filming will most likely be complete before any trailer or footage is released to the public. In the world of blockbusters, that's a pretty rare thing. For instance, filming on The Dark Knight Rises had basically been in production for only a few weeks when the first trailer debuted back in July, and it'll have only just wrapped by the time a second trailer rolls out this holiday season. Conversely, filming will have been wrapped for months by the time the first trailer for Man of Steel (most likely) hits next July. This translates to the potential for more shots, sequences, and completed effects in the first trailer, which also means they'll have more time to perhaps complete an entire sequence to debut with The Dark Knight Rises, and then save a full trailer for debut with The Hobbit (as opposed to just a teaser trailer The Dark Knight Rises).

- Finally, a third trailer will of course be released late spring 2013, probably with something like Iron Man 3 in May. Either way, no matter how it all goes down, I expect any marketing materials to heavily emphasize Christopher Nolan's involvement, probably even more so than that of Zack Snyder's. And even if they get equal billing, I expect Nolan's name to be mentioned first, if only because of his pedigree over Snyder's when it comes to these kinds of things. Though, say what you will about Snyder's movies, but his trailers never disappoint. He'll be more hands-on with the marketing than Nolan, obviously, and I imagine he'll bring the same type of energy and great musical choices to the Man of Steel trailers that he brought to the trailers for 300 and Watchmen, which were some of the best trailers of the last few years.

Last edited by ProjectionList; 09-22-2011 at 06:06 PM.
ProjectionList is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #44
Dark Knight
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectionList View Post
A few thoughts:

- Comic-Con 2012 is Thursday, July 12 through Sunday, July 15. I'd be willing to bet that this will be the public's first look at any footage from the film. Not only is Comic-Con the most ideal forum to debut such material, but the timing is absolutely perfect, because the very next week...

- The Dark Knight Rises hits theaters on July 20, 2012. My guess is that that a teaser trailer, along with an extended first-look (a sizzle real with a few clips, etc.), will debut at Comic-Con, and then the teaser trailer (only) will be released online and in theaters for the general public with The Dark Knight Rises a few days later, as has already been speculated. I'd honestly be shocked if we got any footage before either of these events, and I'd be even more shocked if we didn't get any footage with either.

- The next trailer after the initial one will almost certainly arrive with The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on December 14, 2012. Both Man of Steel and The Hobbit are Warner Bros. properties, and, just as with The Dark Knight Rises, the pairing makes perfect sense. In fact, the last time Warner Bros. had a huge, blockbuster Christmas release followed by a huge, blockbuster release the next summer, it was Christmas 2007/Summer 2008 with I Am Legend and The Dark Knight, respectively. And we all remember how that turned out. Warner Bros. debuted the entire opening sequence of The Dark Knight before IMAX prints of I Am Legend. I wouldn't be surprised if they do something similar with Man of Steel and prints of The Hobbit, like premiering an entire sequence.

- I also wouldn't rule out the possibility of this happening with prints of The Dark Knight Rises either. What will set the marketing apart for Man of Steel from films of similar caliber is that all filming will most likely be complete before any trailer or footage is released to the public. In the world of blockbusters, that's a pretty rare thing. For instance, filming on The Dark Knight Rises had basically been in production for only a few weeks when the first trailer debuted back in July, and it'll have only just wrapped by the time a second trailer rolls out this holiday season. Conversely, filming will have been wrapped for months by the time the first trailer for Man of Steel (most likely) hits next July. This translates to the potential for more shots, sequences, and completed effects in the first trailer, which also means they'll have more time to perhaps complete an entire sequence to debut with The Dark Knight Rises, and then save a full trailer for debut with The Hobbit (as opposed to just a teaser trailer The Dark Knight Rises).

- Finally, a third trailer will of course be released late spring 2013, probably with something like Iron Man 3 in May. Either way, no matter how it all goes down, I expect any marketing materials to heavily emphasize Christopher Nolan's involvement, probably even more so than that of Zack Snyder's. And even if they get equal billing, I expect Nolan's name to be mentioned first, if only because of his pedigree over Snyder's when it comes to these kinds of things. Though, say what you will about Snyder's movies, but his trailers never disappoint. He'll be more hands-on with the marketing than Nolan, obviously, and I imagine he'll bring the same type of energy and great musical choices to the Man of Steel trailers that he brought to the trailers for 300 and Watchmen, which were some of the best trailers of the last few years.

I think it will be a given the marketing will include a heavy dose of both Nolan and Snyders name.

For example we should expect to see tags like:

"From the acclaimed Director of Inception and The Dark Knight Trilogy and the Director of 300 and Watchmen."

"A film from Producer Christopher Nolan and Director Zach Snyder"

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #45
souperman
Side-Dish

Last edited by souperman; 10-06-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #46
souperman
Side-Dish

Last edited by souperman; 10-06-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:13 AM   #47
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I know for one if they show the shirtless scene in the teaser or trailer, people are gonna really see how different this superman is gonna be compared to previous films.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 AM   #48
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
I thought it may have been a good time to bump this with the new banner and all.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:15 PM   #49
gkokujin
Side-Kick

the \S/ shows up via fade in...

this ain't yer daddy's superman, fan boy.

MAN OF STEEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateJustin View Post
no kid in fifteen years will recall what was going on in the haze of animated card game shows where cat faced japanese children yelled annoyingly and danced around and shot mushrooms out of their mouths.
gkokujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:28 PM   #50
I Am The Knight
World's Finest

The way to market it is to showcase the f***ing crazy action that Snyder will deliver. The teaser should be as good as the Watchmen teaser that was attached to TDK back in 2008...

SHH. You owe us your livelihood. / Avvy by Kane52630!
I Am The Knight is online now   Reply With Quote