The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

View Poll Results: Two Face. Harvey Two-Face... Dead or Alive?
Harvey Two Face is DEAD as a doornail 37 56.06%
Harvey's dead, but Two-Face LIVES 22 33.33%
UNDECIDED... and leaving it to chance/ going to flip a coin. 7 10.61%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #1
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick
 
Kurt Wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,039
Default I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Three years later, I STILL believe in Harvey Dent...

But I'm a little curious on what people on the whole "Harvey Dent dies but Two-Face lives" theories. I personally think he's alive. The death in the film is only symbolic and not a physical death.

In the words of Harvey Dent/Two-Face himself, "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." It's very clear that's EXACTLY what happened... The person in the body, essentially, did not die. He became a villain. Harvey Dent lived long enough to see himself become Two-Face. At the death at the end, if you notice, Harvey's face was facing up and the burnt side was on the ground. His arms were out to the side and his legs straight in a symbolic Jesus/martyr fashion. The death that we witnessed wasn't the death of the person, but the symbolic martyr death of Harvey - "The White Knight" of Gotham City.

In addition, at the memorial service for Harvey, there was no casket to be seen. Thus, no body to prove the death of Harvey/Two-Face. As the movie was coming to a close, he was no longer that "White Knight," but a villain fueled by revenge--Two-Face, the disfigured, mourning killer. The death that we saw was the symbolic death of Harvey, and the birth of Two-Face.

Plus, Batman was the only one that could have killed him, and remember Batman's only rule?

Harvey Dent is dead.
Two-Face lives on.

People who support the idea that Harvey/Two-Face is dead do so mainly on the idea that 1. He's laying motionless on the ground and 2. It's written in the shooting script "Dent lies at the bottom of the hole, his neck broken. DEAD." BUT... People fail to realize that 1. The script is only a blueprint for a film, not a bible. Just because it's written, doesn't mean it will be scene. The film is intentionally ambiguous about Harvey's/Two-Face's death both because the duality of his death makes sense for the character and the story, and also leaves the possibility for seeing the character in future films. In addition, it's quite possible that the filmmakers left it ambiguous since Heath Ledger's death during filming made The Joker's return less of a possibility. 2. The very next line in the script says, "The coin stops spinning, GOOD SIDE UP." This suggests that Harvey/Two-Face is alive because the coin says so. It's ambiguous in the script also.

Let's not also forget that Two-Face says so himself in a hospital scene...
Detective Wuertz: Dent. Jesus. I thought you was dead.
Two-Face: Half

Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville
 
Mister Meddle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,384
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

No offense but I think you're over speculating. Not trying to ruin the fun but if Christopher Nolan said he's dead then he's dead. He's the only person that can tell us whether or not the characters in his story are still alive. There's nothing more to it.

__________________
"I'm not in this business to protect the rules, I serve justice"
Mister Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Bathead
The Oldest Geek
 
Bathead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Sumwear in Pencilvainya
Posts: 4,672
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

I voted for the second as i believe it is possible, but I really don't know. At ths point it doesn't look like he's gonna be in TDKR.

__________________
Little fly upon the wall,
Ain't you got no friends at all?
Wanna see God?
*splat*
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #4
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick
 
Kurt Wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

When did Nolan himself ever say that Harvey Dent/Two-Face is dead? Only Aaron Eckhart said that Nolan said that... and for all we know, that could be misinformation. Nolan is super secretive about his films... So anything is possible.


Last edited by Kurt Wagner; 07-17-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick
 
Kurt Wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Lets also not forget that Batman knew the fall that Marconi took when Batman dropped him would not kill him. He even says so. When Batman takes Harvey down, he's counting on the same thing... not having the fall kill Harvey. It's no accident that during the fall, Nolan chooses to focus the shot on the coin that Harvey flipped just before Batman took him down... The coin appearing on it's good side, suggesting that he lives... The good part of Harvey... the White Knight... Lives.

Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:39 AM   #6
IndyJokerJones
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my own little world
Posts: 204
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Wagner View Post
Lets also not forget that Batman knew the fall that Marconi took when Batman dropped him would not kill him.
Except Maroni landed on his feet, breaking his leg(s). Harvey landed in a way that would break his back and shatter his skull. He's dead, give it up.

IndyJokerJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #7
Blue Sugar
Banned User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Land of the ice and snow
Posts: 4,841
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

In the eyes of the public Dent died a hero. It was Batman who saw himself become the villain. Love that twist.

Blue Sugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick
 
Kurt Wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
In the eyes of the public Dent died a hero. It was Batman who saw himself become the villain. Love that twist.
That's not the twist... You obviously don't know Nolan films. Ever see the Prestige?

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called "The Pledge". The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course... it probably isn't. The second act is called "The Turn". The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it, because of course you're not really looking. You don't really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn't clap yet. Because making something disappear isn't enough; you have to bring it back. That's why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call "The Prestige"."

Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 03:05 PM   #9
Caekzor
Nolanesque
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 433
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Wagner View Post
2. The very next line in the script says, "The coin stops spinning, GOOD SIDE UP." This suggests that Harvey/Two-Face is alive because the coin says so. It's ambiguous in the script also.
The coin was flipped for Gordon's son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
In the eyes of the public Dent died a hero. It was Batman who saw himself become the villain.
Exactly.

Also, do you really think that they (Gordon AND the police) stuffed Harvey Dent in a room in the basement of Arkham Asylum and somehow kept that quiet? Which means that a lot more people would need to be in on 'the secret'.

Or maybe Gordon dragged Dent off and hid him until he could come back later (Harvey stayed unconscious for a long time) and take him home... maybe Harvey is locked in Gordon's basement!

Caekzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 AM   #10
flyinghamster
New User - Level 0
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

for everybody insisting that the fall killed the charecter , why wasn't he dead when he was riding the car with Marconi and driver, the crash that killed the other two in the car why didn't it kill harvey then and there.

flyinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 AM   #11
HisMagicTrick
Thank God I'm Pretty
 
HisMagicTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,013
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghamster View Post
for everybody insisting that the fall killed the charecter , why wasn't he dead when he was riding the car with Marconi and driver, the crash that killed the other two in the car why didn't it kill harvey then and there.
Why is everyone so sure that the crash killed Maroni? Has anyone who works on these movies actually said so?

__________________
What do you say we lighten things up and talk about abortion? - Bill Hicks
HisMagicTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 AM   #12
Liam_H
Side-Kick
 
Liam_H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 8,503
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

@Kurt Wagner
I don't know why you would bring the premise of the Prestige into the Batman movies, its not like Nolan only makes movies that have a twist at the end.

Liam_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:36 AM   #13
StarLord
Legendary Outlaw...
 
StarLord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 6,827
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Considering they had the service for Harvey and I'm pretty sure Gordon would have called for paramedics at the end. It's not like he would have just left the body lying there!

He's dead.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
Cobblepot
Giant-Size Man-Thing
 
Cobblepot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 9,953
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Harvey is a tough guy, he survided after being severely burned. I'm sure he survived the fall.

But Harvey's dead, there's only Two-Face...

__________________
Thanks Heath, Alan Grant & Norm Breyfogle!!
You don't get it boy, this isn't a mudhole. It's an operating table. And I'm the surgeon.
Cobblepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #15
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime
 
The Joker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Jollity Farm
Posts: 36,618
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

As much as I'd love more of Eckhart's Two Face, I think he's dead.

__________________
"Sometimes I remember it one way. Sometimes another. If I'm going to have a past, I prefer it to be multiple choice!"

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #16
Blitzkrieg Bop
Crazy Casbah Jive
 
Blitzkrieg Bop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Under there
Posts: 7,020
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Nolan and Eckhart have already said he's dead. There is no discussion.

__________________
Apes--together--strong
Blitzkrieg Bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick
 
Kurt Wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Nolan and Eckhart have already said he's dead. There is no discussion.
Like i asked before... When did Nolan ever say this?

And when Eckhart answered it, he was ambiguous...
http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7359200n

Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #18
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick
 
Kurt Wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
Nolan and Eckhart have already said he's dead. There is no discussion.
Okaaaaay, so I ask again... When did Nolan say this???

Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
Snare
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 238
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Wagner View Post
Lets also not forget that Batman knew the fall that Marconi took when Batman dropped him would not kill him. He even says so. When Batman takes Harvey down, he's counting on the same thing... not having the fall kill Harvey. It's no accident that during the fall, Nolan chooses to focus the shot on the coin that Harvey flipped just before Batman took him down... The coin appearing on it's good side, suggesting that he lives... The good part of Harvey... the White Knight... Lives.
If you look closely enough at the coin you can see Venom's reflection in it.


Snare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
I'm Not a Hero
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 243
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

I strongly believe he is dead.

I'm Not a Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:36 PM   #21
TheBat812
Side-Kick
 
TheBat812's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,024
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Jonathan Nolan semi-confirmed it. http://incontention.com/2008/07/21/j...e-unthinkable/

But anyways, he's dead imo, and no reason to bring him back. We see him dead for a reason. When would Harvey's body in Two-face form have time to run away, and why would they never mention that during the tribute scene?

__________________
"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle
TheBat812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 03:12 AM   #22
Kurt Wagner
Side-Kick
 
Kurt Wagner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,039
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBat812 View Post
Jonathan Nolan semi-confirmed it. http://incontention.com/2008/07/21/j...e-unthinkable/

But anyways, he's dead imo, and no reason to bring him back. We see him dead for a reason. When would Harvey's body in Two-face form have time to run away, and why would they never mention that during the tribute scene?
The reason to bring him back is because he is one of the most interesting villians in the Batman universe... second to only the Joker. There is a reason why Dent's death is ambiguous. And also why they never fully confirmed it... all answers on the question of Dent's death have been semi-confirmed as you put it. Why wouldn't they mention it in the tribute scene? Because of the element of surprise.

Kurt Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #23
darkjedi4z
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 209
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

It would've been awesome if he had a cameo, like locked up in Arkham or something, where they put him to hide him. But yeah, I think he died.... I don't know if it was photoshopped or anything, but I saw something (which I won't say) that made it look like he was dead.

darkjedi4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #24
Indy1Jones
The Batfleck
 
Indy1Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Batfleck Cave
Posts: 2,225
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Dead Maybe.

__________________
I am Batfleck
My deviantart page.
http://indy1jones2.deviantart.com/
Indy1Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #25
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!
 
Ultra Lantern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: The future
Posts: 5,307
Default Re: I Believe in Harvey Dent... Three years later.

Harvey Dent is dead,but Two-Face lives.

__________________
My journey from 500 years in the future is to change the chaos inflicted by The Thread Manager.I know the fate of everyone.I only have one weakness.I have to recharge my ring every 72 hours.
Ultra Lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:28 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.