Deadpan Snarker

Default Re: A Spider-Woman film?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
More than a few generalisations there.
It's a theory, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golgo-13 View Post
Michelle Ryan was indeed aweful. I don't don't think SW has to actaully be smoking hot though. How about Hayley Atwell?

But Godzilla2014 is right in the assessment that superheroines don't appeal to most men, and woman don't really like superheroes.

Like i stated before, the right balance/formula just hasn't been discovered yet; once it has, there's great potential for the likes of WW, She-Hulk and SW.
Agreed.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #27
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Michelle Ryan was indeed aweful. I don't don't think SW has to actaully be smoking hot though. How about Hayley Atwell?

But Godzilla2014 is right in the assessment that superheroines don't appeal to most men, and woman don't really like superheroes.

Like i stated before, the right balance/formula just hasn't been discovered yet; once it has, there's great potential for the likes of WW, She-Hulk and SW.
I think Spider-Woman is probably one person who does have to be. She's frequently acknowledged as one of the sexiest female characters with one of the sexiest costumes and best hair. Also, because she's constantly emitting all these pheremones as part of her natural body chemistry, she makes men everywhere immediately attracted to her. I think part of that would have to involve extreme sexiness from the actress playing her. You don't want to portray it as some plain or average looking broad whom everyone is attracted to. She should be dripping in sexiness and sensuality. She should be sex on legs, but also requires a good actress for the part as she's quite a complex, conflicted character.

Spider-Woman is more about sexuality than physical toughness, even though she is super strong. That's why Michelle Ryan is just too average to be her, especially if her only qualification is that she's able to kick ass.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:47 AM   #28
JabarR
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelComix85 View Post
I don't think Cerina's a bad actress or anything. But Spider-Woman has to be British, unless JabarR is casting Ultimate Jessica Drew. For the 616 incarnation, let's go with Michelle Ryan, who is of British decent, and kicks ass (see Bionic Woman).

Michelle Ryan is OK, but Cerina Vincent is a much more perfect fit as Jessica Drew.

JabarR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #29
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

What should a Spider-Woman film be about?

The more you know.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #30
Art_of_Crime
nothing special

Anyone seen "Agent of SWORD" the motion comic. That piece sold me on the character. I would like to see a movie in that vein, and with that tone.

Lao Tzu
Art_of_Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #31
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

I think the hard part is finding the right audience and demographics for a Spider-Woman film. Who could a female superhero like Spider-Woman sell to?

The more you know.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:24 AM   #32
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
I think the hard part is finding the right audience and demographics for a Spider-Woman film. Who could a female superhero like Spider-Woman sell to?
It could sell well to the whole Twilight/ Vampire/ Buffy/ Angel/ CW fan crowd. Read the early issues of Spider-Woman. It is completely in this vein. It was probably ahead of its time. That crowd would lap this up.

The early issues are a voyage of self discovery - learning who she is, whether she is a hero or villain, whether she's moral or not, dealing with supernatural enemies who either want to destroy her or control her etc. The later issues, once she's decided she is a hero, are almost like Angel where she's a private investigator in a macabre setting of Los Angeles.

On top of that, it could also appeal to the spy fans, as it touches upon her carrying out covert missions and infiltrations.

As I said - this comic was ahead of its time. It easily feels like it could have been taken right out of this current craze with vampires and werewolves (Werewolf by Night often guest starred in Spider-Woman's comic).

And that's how different it would be to Spider-Man.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #33
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
It could sell well to the whole Twilight/ Vampire/ Buffy/ Angel/ CW fan crowd. Read the early issues of Spider-Woman. It is completely in this vein. It was probably ahead of its time. That crowd would lap this up.

The early issues are a voyage of self discovery - learning who she is, whether she is a hero or villain, whether she's moral or not, dealing with supernatural enemies who either want to destroy her or control her etc. The later issues, once she's decided she is a hero, are almost like Angel where she's a private investigator in a macabre setting of Los Angeles.

On top of that, it could also appeal to the spy fans, as it touches upon her carrying out covert missions and infiltrations.

As I said - this comic was ahead of its time. It easily feels like it could have been taken right out of this current craze with vampires and werewolves (Werewolf by Night often guest starred in Spider-Woman's comic).

And that's how different it would be to Spider-Man.
That could be interesting.

The more you know.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #34
EditNinja
Side-Kick

Hayley Atwell would be very nice, but Michelle Ryan is popular in many Spider-Woman fancasts and would be fine too.

I love all comic book movies - even the crappy ones.
EditNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #35
Disney Man
Side-Kick

Wouldn't Fox own the rights?

Disney Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #36
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Man View Post
Wouldn't Fox own the rights?
Why would Fox own the rights to Spider-Woman?

The more you know.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:31 PM   #37
Wolf Boy
Side-Kick

The public would have zero interest in this, especially if it has some big titty actress in it.

Wolf Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #38
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Given the low success rate of superheroine movies (Supergirl, Catwoman, Elektra, all flops) and action movies with female stars (only Mila Jovovich and Angelina Jolie can launch an action movie), and the cost of comicbook movies, it's hard to see Spider-Woman being a risk worth taking. Especially if it dilutes the Spider-Man franchise.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #39
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
Given the low success rate of superheroine movies (Supergirl, Catwoman, Elektra, all flops) and action movies with female stars (only Mila Jovovich and Angelina Jolie can launch an action movie), and the cost of comicbook movies, it's hard to see Spider-Woman being a risk worth taking. Especially if it dilutes the Spider-Man franchise.
Agreed.

The more you know.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #40
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
I think Spider-Woman is probably one person who does have to be. She's frequently acknowledged as one of the sexiest female characters with one of the sexiest costumes and best hair. Also, because she's constantly emitting all these pheremones as part of her natural body chemistry, she makes men everywhere immediately attracted to her. I think part of that would have to involve extreme sexiness from the actress playing her. You don't want to portray it as some plain or average looking broad whom everyone is attracted to. She should be dripping in sexiness and sensuality. She should be sex on legs, but also requires a good actress for the part as she's quite a complex, conflicted character.

Spider-Woman is more about sexuality than physical toughness, even though she is super strong. That's why Michelle Ryan is just too average to be her, especially if her only qualification is that she's able to kick ass.
I disagree. Look at all the female leads withing various tv shows that have been successful; Gwen from Torchwood, the leads from series' like The Killing, Chase, The Closure. All of these actress have on thing in common; they are not hot. Reasonable good looking, but not hot. I think hot is a distraction when it comes to being believably tough. Not saying the two can't co-exist on screen, but so far all attempts have made the woman look very campy. Hollywood too often goes for the hot looking woman in hopes that it'll fill seats; they need to focus way more on the womans emotional ranges as an actress. Yes, i thnk Haylel Atwell is hot; but i thought this way back when, when i saw her in POTE; back when nobody had heard of her. She's not Maxim Magazine hot, she's just a naturally good looking woman, who caught my attention by her acting ability first.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:19 AM   #41
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I disagree. Look at all the female leads withing various tv shows that have been successful; Gwen from Torchwood, the leads from series' like The Killing, Chase, The Closure. All of these actress have on thing in common; they are not hot. Reasonable good looking, but not hot. I think hot is a distraction when it comes to being believably tough. Not saying the two can't co-exist on screen, but so far all attempts have made the woman look very campy. Hollywood too often goes for the hot looking woman in hopes that it'll fill seats; they need to focus way more on the womans emotional ranges as an actress. Yes, i thnk Haylel Atwell is hot; but i thought this way back when, when i saw her in POTE; back when nobody had heard of her. She's not Maxim Magazine hot, she's just a naturally good looking woman, who caught my attention by her acting ability first.

Gotta agree, especially when it comes to Jessica Drew. Jess is *not* particularly noted as a hottie in her own right; it's just when she puts on the mask and the skintight costume and exudes the pheromones that she turns into a seductress. So no, behind the mask, I'd say the actress who plays Jess doesn't have to be supermodel beautiful; but she *should* have a body to die for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Roegele View Post
Uma Thurman? Kate Beckinsale? Charlize Theron? Sandra Bullock? Linda Hamilton? Lynda Carter? Demi Moore? Lucy Liu? Sigourney Weaver? Cameron Diaz? They all made bank as action heroines.

And Spider-Woman doesn't need to "dilute" the Spider-Man franchise. If the studios wanted to avoid confusion and/or legal entanglements, Jess could simply go by Arachne, as someone mentioned above (since she used that alias previously).

But as far as Marvel properties that can stand on their own as solo projects, no, I don't think Spider-Woman is one of the better choices. I'd rather see her in an ensemble role as an Avenger, which she's been more famous for in the comics anyway.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #42
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I want to see a spider-woman film.. I want to see a sexy jessica drew.. an underwear scene..
..connect her origins to the Avengers.. have some throwaway lines about a kid from queens...

Last edited by Hypestyle; 10-09-2011 at 12:40 AM.
Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #43
HR-PUFF&STUFF
Side-Kick

just something i came up with

Spider-Woman should be more like Alias, she could start out as a HYDRA agent that finds out that he whole life is a lie. Her Mom and Dad could be researches that think they are looking for a way to help their daughter, that had their research funded by a HYDRA front company. But when they find out the truth they are killed, but not before Jessica is given a "formula" that gives her, her powers. With her being just a kid she is raised to be an formidable fighter/assassin. She is sent to kill Nick Fury but is inset turned when he shows her the truth and returns to HYDRA as a double agent. Now she must take down HYDRA from the in side and find the truth about he life.

Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman
Count Otto Vermis- Head of HYDRA's European branch
S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent Jerry Hunt- Jessica's handler/love interest
Ophelia Sarkissian/Viper/Madame Hydra- Starts out as Vermis' Second in command, but kills him in the end to take his place and thus taking the name Madame Hydra.
Percy and Barton Grimes
Jonathan Drew
Merriam Drew

HR-PUFF&STUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:18 AM   #44
The Overlord
Side-Kick

As usual the question of whether a Spider-Woman movie would work or not depends on a few factors, how strong is her mythos, how strong is her rogues gallery and how strong is is her supporting cast?

The Overlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:19 AM   #45
HR-PUFF&STUFF
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I want to see a spider-woman film.. I want to see a sexy jessica drew.. an underwear scene..
..connect her origins to the Avengers.. have some throwaway lines about a kid from queens...
1) Yes who needs story when you can have the main actor walk around in her underwear

2) her Origins have nothing to do with the Avengers never did.

3) and spider-man and spider-woman have nothing connecting them in the comics and that if marvel has the rights to the movie it would have no connection to spider-man because he is at sony.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #46
HR-PUFF&STUFF
Side-Kick

just get JJ Abrams to make the movie.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #47
EditNinja
Side-Kick

Messin' around with the colour-correct on my video editor for a fan-trailer:

Footage from Bionic Woman pilot(Michelle Ryan); Iron Man 2 (Fury); Star Trek Nemesis (Skrulls!); Spider-Woman: Agent Of SWORD Motion Comic; The Amazing Spider-Man trailer and a random cosplay YouTube video.

I love all comic book movies - even the crappy ones.
EditNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 AM   #48
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
As usual the question of whether a Spider-Woman movie would work or not depends on a few factors, how strong is her mythos, how strong is her rogues gallery and how strong is is her supporting cast?

The success of Iron Man at the movies is proof that you don't have to have a strong mythos, rogues gallery or supporting cast.

Honestly, the best way I could see introducing Jessica Drew into the film universe:

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD.

There is so much that could be done with a movie like that. Show Col. Fury as the lynchpin of the MFU. Introduce the modern HYDRA revival (minus the goofy green uniforms, of course....I'd be all for a variant of the CA:TFA WWII costumes), and introduce Jess as a tool of HYDRA, only being rescued and turned to SHIELD by the end of the film.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:02 AM   #49
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Gotta agree, especially when it comes to Jessica Drew. Jess is *not* particularly noted as a hottie in her own right; it's just when she puts on the mask and the skintight costume and exudes the pheromones that she turns into a seductress. So no, behind the mask, I'd say the actress who plays Jess doesn't have to be supermodel beautiful; but she *should* have a body to die for.

Uma Thurman? Kate Beckinsale? Charlize Theron? Sandra Bullock? Linda Hamilton? Lynda Carter? Demi Moore? Lucy Liu? Sigourney Weaver? Cameron Diaz? They all made bank as action heroines.

And Spider-Woman doesn't need to "dilute" the Spider-Man franchise. If the studios wanted to avoid confusion and/or legal entanglements, Jess could simply go by Arachne, as someone mentioned above (since she used that alias previously).

But as far as Marvel properties that can stand on their own as solo projects, no, I don't think Spider-Woman is one of the better choices. I'd rather see her in an ensemble role as an Avenger, which she's been more famous for in the comics anyway.

Her pheremones didn't only kick in when she was Spider-Woman. They were working all the time. In the early comics, everyone was always gaping at her as Jessica Drew and calling her pretty lady etc. She was always known for being a looker as Jessica. She just became even sexier once she was Spider-Woman because of the ultra skin-tight costume that accentuated every curve of her taut body.

And when you say she's more famous for her role as an Avenger, I'm guessing you mean with modern audiences who haven't read a comic beyond the last 10 years. She's far more known as a solo heroine. It's like saying that Spider-Man is known for being an Avenger and wanting him as part of the team if people had only started reading recently and thought that he was one of the big team members, like Wolvie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
The success of Iron Man at the movies is proof that you don't have to have a strong mythos, rogues gallery or supporting cast.

Honestly, the best way I could see introducing Jessica Drew into the film universe:

Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD.

There is so much that could be done with a movie like that. Show Col. Fury as the lynchpin of the MFU. Introduce the modern HYDRA revival (minus the goofy green uniforms, of course....I'd be all for a variant of the CA:TFA WWII costumes), and introduce Jess as a tool of HYDRA, only being rescued and turned to SHIELD by the end of the film.
Jessica doesn't need to be part of the modern Hydra revival. Like Captain America, she's a woman out of time. She should be part of the original wartime Hydra. I think she might actually be even older than Cap - more like early 20th century, if Hydra were kicking around then. She just ages more slowly because of her body chemistry, and because she was in suspended animation for decades.

If you wanted to introduce her in another hero's movie, the place to do it would be a Captain America sequel in a flashback scene. Although she's not connected with him at all, she's connected with Hydra. They could just have a cameo to plant a seed of her existence, but not necessarily connect it to the main Captain America plot at all. All it would be is a young girl undergoing some kind of radiation treatment, but most people wouldn't get who she is meant to be, except for a throwaway line calling her Jessica. It would be pretty much like that Human Torch cameo.

Last edited by Dark Raven; 10-09-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 PM   #50
Golgo-13
Cadburys Creme Eggs

I think the actress that plays Jessica the baby vamp on HBO's True Blood would make a good Spider-Woman. She's not super model hot when she has on regular clothes, just cute, but still has a great body under there....