The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > DC Comics Films

Old 07-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #76
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Green Lantern 2

I disagree. Sinestro jumped on the yellow ring idea for reasons that were explicitly shown in the film. He believes it's more powerful and that he can be a better protector with it. This is in keeping with his post-rebirth characterization. Sinestro was a power hungry jerk the whole movie, only at the end did he treat Hal with any respect at all. How is he the most "noble and decent?" Most effective?

The scene with Korugar, which, I agree, is necessary to flesh out his fall, doesn't take two more movies to do. That could be at the end of the first act, and and he could be yellow ringing for the rest of the film. Why drag out their relationship to try and make it like the silver age comics when they already have a relationship that's been delved into as much as a 2hr movie can? Sinestro is already a mentor, we don't need 2 more hrs of that. Sinestro has already proven he is ready to go too far at the drop of a hat. We don't need 2 hrs of setting that up. 20-30 minutes is more than enough.

I would absolutely not set more of GL1 in space. GL2, yes, but The problem with GL, imho, was that we never got a feel for who Hal actually was, and we get that from the Earth scenes. Who he is as a Lantern is, and should be, an extension of who he is as a person. All we learned of him was that he liked his Nephew. True, a lot of the earth time was wasted on Hammond, but with that assigned to Hal, I think the movie would have been a lot better. I don't think more scenes of him with uber powers that are never believably tested would have made the movie better for anyone who's not already into the character.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #77
The Morningstar
Banned User

How was Sinestro and Hal's relationship developed at all? They shared what? 10 minutes screen time?

Three quarters of the movie should have been about Hal's adventure in space, like what the marketing campaign promised. He grows as a person, as he grows as a Lantern. It's not necessarily about showing the "uber powers". It's about character development. Which could have been done whilst he was training on Oa or going on training missions with other Lanterns, like Sinestro. The first quarter could have been on Earth. Show more of Hal with his family instead of his lame friend who was completely forgettable. Hint at a romance with Carol, don't have it in there as a superhero movie cliche. Have it more like Tony Stark and Pepper Potts from the first Iron Man movie.

That would have helped tone down the exposition as well. Don't tell us what the Lantern Corps is about in some narration. SHOW US. We learn what the Corps is about as Hal does.

The Morningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #78
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator

If there would be a sequel, it would need to set up and explain Sinestro's turn. His interest in the yellow ring was teased at the end. Second movie would have to go into why he believes he needs it, why he turns on the Lanterns.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:29 PM   #79
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morningstar View Post
How was Sinestro and Hal's relationship developed at all? They shared what? 10 minutes screen time?
And in those 10-15 minutes, their relationship was developed pretty well. This isn't Star Wars where you can take three movies to set up an epic betrayal of bffs. They were colleagues, Sinestro had a hand in training Hal, and the movie showed that pretty clearly.

Quote:
Three quarters of the movie should have been about Hal's adventure in space, like what the marketing campaign promised. He grows as a person, as he grows as a Lantern. It's not necessarily about showing the "uber powers". It's about character development. Which could have been done whilst he was training on Oa or going on training missions with other Lanterns, like Sinestro. The first quarter could have been on Earth. Show more of Hal with his family instead of his lame friend who was completely forgettable. Hint at a romance with Carol, don't have it in there as a superhero movie cliche. Have it more like Tony Stark and Pepper Potts from the first Iron Man movie.
It's hard to develop a character when they have the solution to all their problems on their hand. Growing as a Lantern doesn't visually translate into growing as a person. The film shows them becoming a great lantern, and it doesn't show the audience that they are great without their great power unless the film makes it a plot point. That's why it's a plot point in so many Superhero films. The Uber Powers are going to be shown regardless, it's just a matter of setting up the movie so that it doesn't seem that he has the answer to all problems because he's inherently better than everyone else on the planet, and, unfortunately, the GL film can be read that way, and I fear it was.

The time on Earth should have been spent much more wisely, to be sure, but it was beyond necessary. Coming back to Earth for the climax was even more necessary, as far as the heroic journey is concerned.

I think the inclusion of Tom Kalamaku was pretty important in the comics, ad I'm glad the movie did it, though I agree, he could have had a kewl moment to make him memorable.

Quote:
That would have helped tone down the exposition as well. Don't tell us what the Lantern Corps is about in some narration. SHOW US. We learn what the Corps is about as Hal does.
I do agree that the time in space should have been spent much more wisely, as with the time on Earth, imho. Learning with Hal would have been a very wise move, and a little space galavanting instead of frolicking with Hector Hammond's character development, would have made for a more adventurous and enjoyable film overall.

So yeah, half and half... not three quarters space, not if you're not making a cartoon.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #80
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sage View Post
If there would be a sequel, it would need to set up and explain Sinestro's turn. His interest in the yellow ring was teased at the end. Second movie would have to go into why he believes he needs it, why he turns on the Lanterns.
His interest in the yellow ring was a key part of his character in the movie. IIRC, it was only created because of his suggestion. He openly stated his plan to master it's power and train others to do the same. He stated plainly why he believes he needs it. All he needs is a reason to turn on the guardians, and that doesn't take a whole movie. Especially if he's already treating the people of Korugar like he treated Hal.

I'm sorry, I just really don't get this need to 'set up' Sinestro. He's at least half way set up already. Is there more depth that people wanted from him? Do people believe its wise to retread the ground in GL and do it better, or did people just miss these lines? Nothing personal to you, cuz you're not the first person to make this request, and I genuinely do not understand.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #81
DCnightwing23
Side-Kick

Im not sure if ive stated this before. If we do get a sequel im hoping for much more space cop scenes with Hal and Sinestro, but what would be great is if as Sinestro is taking Hal to these missions to find crimials and what not, he goes and recruits for his own corps. I dont think he should be the main villain just yet, but we should definitely see him preparing for something big. And that'll lead to an EPIC conclusion in the third film.

There's so much potential for this series to flourish, they just need someone who understands the GL mythos and can balance everything from earth and space. Im rather excited to see if we do in fact get a sequel because i think with the right people on board this franchise could be rather awesome.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #82
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

At the moment I just dont see a sequel happening, which is a shame really, the first movie wasnt the best, but it set-up the universe and characters so in a sequel we could just role with it. I think Strong would make an amazing evil Sinestro as well, that could be a great villain performance, just like he gave in Kick-Ass.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM   #83
mclay18
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
At the moment I just dont see a sequel happening, which is a shame really, the first movie wasnt the best, but it set-up the universe and characters so in a sequel we could just role with it.
If Percy Jackson can get a sequel, then surely GL has a chance of one. I'd wait a bit longer before saying GL is a franchise "non-starter."

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 AM   #84
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Well, PJ made just under its budget domestically, GL was under its budget domestically by quite a way, I would say the next Riddick movie is more a better comparison, COR outright flopped and yet we are getting another Riddick movie.

I do think a GL movie can be made for a lot cheaper, just look at Hellboy II, $85 million to make and the effects still stand up over 3 years later.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 10-21-2011, 12:33 AM   #85
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Since the Green Lantern movie got bad reviews and under performed at the box office,what can be learned from the mistakes of the first movie to make the sequel better?

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #86
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Plenty, better characterisation and story-telling for one, this really brought the movie down in my eyes. Better effects and action scene's would hurt either, and also dont be afraid to break away from the 'super hero formula' so to speak, this movie played it too safe.

Also, get a director who cares about the character and has a good track record with sci-fi.

Old 11-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #87
S.A.A.D.
Banned User

Green Lantern is fine, I mean I don't think that they played it too safe. I can think of a bunch of comic book movies that have played it too safe.

S.A.A.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #88
Lord
All Mighty

I'm not sure this will get a sequel, i know the studio talked and is still talking about it but i wont believe until they officially Green light the film

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
~*SHH SIX*~
Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 AM   #89
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.A.D View Post
Green Lantern is fine, I mean I don't think that they played it too safe. I can think of a bunch of comic book movies that have played it too safe.
Plenty have, but at the same time they did something a little bit different, GL was very formulaic in its story-telling.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #90
Webhead38
Side-Kick

I think the sequel is in trouble because the DVD sales have been okay but nothing big to write home about. I think the studio was hoping to find another audience in the secondary market, that didn't go see it during a very crowded summer. Personally I enjoyed the movie. It has it's own unique flavor and people either got it or they didn't it. I think the average person doesn't know anything about GL and so the story's simplicity was called out as a result.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #91
Karelia
We Are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post
I think the sequel is in trouble because the DVD sales have been okay but nothing big to write home about. I think the studio was hoping to find another audience in the secondary market, that didn't go see it during a very crowded summer. Personally I enjoyed the movie. It has it's own unique flavor and people either got it or they didn't it. I think the average person doesn't know anything about GL and so the story's simplicity was called out as a result.
Hmm, I thought it was doing quite well with Blu Ray/DVD sales. I guess I just don't know what's good and what isn't in terms of sales.

I really think they should have released this film later in the year. It wouldn't have anything to go up against and they could have worked on the script/effects a lot longer.

I believe when they first announced the GL movie, it was looking for a December 2010 release date. It might have paid off if they stuck with that and got a better SFX crew. (ILM.)

Guardians of the Galaxy
Karelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:02 AM   #92
superhero
Side-Kick

I Heard green Lantern 2 coming out summer of 2013

superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #93
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead38 View Post
The DVD/Bd sales have been VERY good for a movie that only made 116 million domestic. Its blu-ray sales werent far off that of First Class and its DVD sales have been comparable to Thor, both of which were a lot more successful at the BO and with critics than Green Lantern was. I'd say competing with those 2 in the home market means that GL is doing very well there.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #94
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
^Plenty, better characterisation and story-telling for one, this really brought the movie down in my eyes. Better effects and action scene's would hurt either, and also dont be afraid to break away from the 'super hero formula' so to speak, this movie played it too safe.

Also, get a director who cares about the character and has a good track record with sci-fi.
Except for some of the characters and the villians its amazing how alot of the GL comics don't feel like superhero stories. They really feel like a grand space opera. Very much like Star Wars.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:49 AM   #95
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I'd like to see another Green Lantern movie with Ryan Reynold's or anybody else.

Self-contained stories part of a larger story is where its at. Not this writing for the trade nonsense. If you're going to write for the trade, don't release it in individual issues. Just release the trade.
Mace Dolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:03 AM   #96
cloverfan98
Side-Kick

Be consistant. I'm tired of everyone screaming REBOOT! after a film isn'ta perfect one. Ryan Renolds should stay GL if at all possible. He's still a big name.

cloverfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #97
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^I agree, IF they do a sequel, keep Reynolds, re-boots havent all been successful, they are about the same as sequels in their failure-success rates, so make a sequel and just improve on what we have seen.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:47 PM   #98
Cosmic Boy

(by me aka Nuclear Chipmunk)

Last edited by Cosmic Boy; 03-06-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Cosmic Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:25 PM   #99
jb007
Side-Kick

A Flash movie!!!!!! I'm all for it!

jb007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #100
The Sage
Team Machine on the move
SHH! Global Moderator