Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 12:18 PM   #251
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Black Superheroes Movies - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarKush View Post
I hadn't thought about Rashida Jones. Not a bad choice. And she is generally cast in 'race-neutral' roles, of course as the love interest of a white guy. She can pass for white, though that first name trips her up. Paula Patton is another possibility for a light skinned actress, though I think she might be considered more identifiably black when you look at some of her roles, like Idlewild and Jumping the Broom. Rosario Dawson's another. And if you wanted to cast a singer-actress, another one to throw in the mix is Jennifer Hudson.

As for T'Challa being a gateway, it is all in the writing. If they go with an origin story, we can watch him assume the throne, become Black Panther in the first movie (rather than starting out as BP) so he could then be our guide into his world. Or one of the royal advisors could.

An example of a black gateway character was Karen Jenson in Blade. I think they made it work pretty well and she served to some extent as a love interest/damsel-in-distress also, that provided a little sexual tension. Perhaps Monica Lynne could be the gateway in a similar fashion. Though it would require a bigger role for her.
Which is quite fine. I love it when the love interest has an actual role in the story beyond just being the love interest. I suppose T'Challa can be the gateway if we flashback to his childhood. We are initiated into the basics of Wakanda with him, much the way Simba was our gateway in Lion King. In short, in my understanding of narrative perspective, if T'Challa explains to another character what the Vibranium Mound is, then that character is our gateway, if someone explains to T'Challa what the vibranium mound is, then T'Challa is our gateway.

I think Rashida Jones is the only one really who is in that wheelhouse, now that I think of it. I'm also not sure she'd want to give up her ambiguousness. Paula Patton, incidentally, has expressed disdain for the word biracial, and thinks of it as racist against her black background. Go fig. Jennifer Hudson, in my mind, draws cross culturally for some reason, so I think that'd be a really good pick. I love Rosario Dawson, so I'll reserve my biased comments. Very biased. Hire her now. But she does also get some ambiguousness, not sure why, but she does. Percy Jackson and MIB come to mind.

I think, thinking about Blade and some other stuff, that the audience is prepared for a black gateway, so long as there's a white good guy around to make them feel like it's not a, er, Black Panther Rally... you know what I mean.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #252
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

Default Re: Black Superheroes Movies - Part 1

After this latest cycle of Batman films is done with Dark Knight Rises, then the franchise can spin off the new Batwing character that Grant Morrison created, the Batman of a fictional African country. The way the comics are unfolding so far, Batman can have a cameo role (Christian Bale), and the main character, David Zavimbe, can be played by Chiwitel Eijofor.

The overall budget can probably be lowered, provided they bring in some solid character actors instead of ultra-expensive A-list people.. The villain can be Massacre, played by Djimon Honsou..

Old 11-06-2011, 11:31 PM   #253
Anubis
Sup?

Pfft, no thanks.

H.E.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #254
DarKush
Side-Kick

Well I wouldn't mind seeing a Batwing movie, though I know it would never happen.

Though since it's pretty early in the comics' life I don't think enough interesting things like a supporting cast, a rogue's gallery, a confirmed love interest have been established. The first arc hasn't even concluded.

Though I've liked much of what I've seen: setting, Massacre, the potential love interest, The Kingdom supergroup; about the only person I'm not feeling is Zavimbe's Alfred; seems too derivative of Batman. I'm also not a big fan of the name Batwing, but it and the suit are growing on me.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:49 PM   #255
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

Batwing to me has been a damn good surprise. I thought that the title wasn't going to be too good, but it's one of my favorites of the new 52 so far. The idea of a group of heroes who helped African countries gain independence is gold, and the villain so far has been pretty good. I doubt it would get greenlit. There's really only one white guy helping him, and that's a guy who would make the budget too high if he showed up in more than 3 scenes.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:45 AM   #256
DarKush
Side-Kick

^
I agree with what you said. Batwing was a surprise. I hope it can maintain the level of quality. I couldn't see a Batwing movie ever being made, not before a Nightwing or Batgirl film. Perhaps not before an Azrael, Black Bat (Cassandra Cain), Huntress, Batwoman, or Red Robin film either. What I hope for is that Batwing has a long publishing history.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:31 PM   #257
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Blade is one of my favourite superhero movies. The comic character Blade isn't African American though.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:52 PM   #258
marcvader
Lurker #1

And the movie still holds up really well compared to other cmb's that came out afterwards.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
Old 11-17-2011, 05:10 PM   #259
Anubis
Sup?

To be fair, he still ain't worth a damn in the comics.

No matter how awesome the Blade movies were (well, two of em at least) he has never sold well in the comics.

Though I loved him in Captain Britain and MI13.

H.E.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:29 AM   #260
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

They changed comic Blade to be more like movie Blade in the comics but they didn't really bring the Blade universe of the movies into the comics like vamps being everywhere with high powerful positions in society, vampire houses, the scientific vampire experiments that created reapers, the body blood banks and so on.

The problem is they keep trying to stick Blade in the mainstream Marvel universe as a superhero and with the exception of Captain Britain and MI:13 it usually doesn't work.

They should give Blade a Max comic with a good writer based on the film Blade universe like the punisher and then it might actually be successful.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #261
SoulManX
The Inspector!

http://io9.com/aka-jessica-jones/

looks like Luke Cage is coming to the small screen.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #262
prabap61
Banned User

its awesome.i watched it 2-3 times

Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM   #263
E-Man
Cooler than your daddy.

One of my favorite sites for the past 5 or 6 years has been redesigned, and I figured I'd show it a little bit of love. If you haven't checked out The Museum of Black Superheroes now is a good time to do so. Here is the link:

http://blacksuperhero.com/

I figured it wouldn't hurt anybody to put up one link.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 AM   #264
DarKush
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
They changed comic Blade to be more like movie Blade in the comics but they didn't really bring the Blade universe of the movies into the comics like vamps being everywhere with high powerful positions in society, vampire houses, the scientific vampire experiments that created reapers, the body blood banks and so on.

The problem is they keep trying to stick Blade in the mainstream Marvel universe as a superhero and with the exception of Captain Britain and MI:13 it usually doesn't work.

They should give Blade a Max comic with a good writer based on the film Blade universe like the punisher and then it might actually be successful.
I pretty much agree with all you've said. I think one of the problems has been that Marvel has tried to have it both ways. They've made comics Blade resemble movie Blade physically but not doing enough in making the content and stories similar to the movies. They don't want to let the comics go, and they haven't really tried to reimagine the comics through the prism of the movies. A MAX series based on the movies would've been the way to go, back in the day. Even now, with vampires still being popular, a MAX series might work.

Old 11-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #265
ripse
Spider-Man_Blue

Post Re: Black Superheroes Movies - Part 2

Black Superheroes what is about? People or Costumes?
If i look from people i think Hancock is great movies with improvised costumes or shirts pickup...
and for costumes i choose War Machine is look great & badass ever with a ferocious weapon

Old 11-24-2011, 07:50 AM   #266
megyn-kelly

This is a list of black superheroes that lists characters found in comic books and other media. Black is a term usually referring to a racial group of humans with dark skin color, used to categorize a number of diverse populations into one common group. This list includes African American characters and characters of sub-Saharan African descent or populations characterized by dark skin color (a definition that also includes certain populations in Oceania, Southeast Asia, southern South Asia, and the southern Middle East).This is a list of black superheroes that lists characters found in comic books and other media. Black is a term usually referring to a racial group of humans with dark skin color, used to categorize a number of diverse populations into one common group. This list includes African American characters and characters of sub-Saharan African descent or populations characterized by dark skin color (a definition that also includes certain populations in Oceania, Southeast Asia, southern South Asia, and the southern Middle East).

Old 11-24-2011, 09:33 AM   #267
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
To be fair, he still ain't worth a damn in the comics.

No matter how awesome the Blade movies were (well, two of em at least) he has never sold well in the comics.
What's your point?

http://myth-smith.com/
Old 11-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #268
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

As an aspiring black actor/director...and especially as a member of the black community in general...I have to say...some of the stuff I've read in this thread has made me truly sad.

Last edited by The Boy Scout; 11-27-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:17 PM   #269
Anubis
Sup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
What's your point?
Those two posts that make absolutely no f**king sense above you, and you quote me?

I forgot my point......oh Comic Blade sucks.

H.E.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #270
SoulManX
The Inspector!

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/us...rtainment.html

Stars Flock to Atlanta, Reshaping a Center of Black Culture

Old 11-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #271
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Man View Post
http://blacksuperhero.com/

I figured it wouldn't hurt anybody to put up one link.
I used to go to that site all the time, great redesign.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:10 PM   #272
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoulManX View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/us...rtainment.html

Stars Flock to Atlanta, Reshaping a Center of Black Culture
Was there for OnyxCon back in August...hadn't been down there in more than a decade. Definitely a place I could see myself moving to.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #273
SoulManX
The Inspector!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockSP View Post
Was there for OnyxCon back in August...hadn't been down there in more than a decade. Definitely a place I could see myself moving to.

ATL : Black Hollywood?

Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 AM   #274
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Here is the Hollywood Reporters Award Season Roundtable in which Actress Viola Davis and director Steve McQueen discuss black roles in Hollywood. Intresting watch

Viola
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Steve
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

The silence from the other directors when McQueen says its shameful they don't cast atleast one Black or Latino actor in movies speaks volumes

Old 12-06-2011, 04:51 PM   #275
RockSP
MYTH SMITH ∞!!!

A worthy cause that needs your support:http://www.indiegogo.com/Paragon?a=334619

I feel the same way about something like this as I do comic books. Waiting around for someone else to present you as the hero (or even cool villain) is well...stupid. Throw a few bucks Walker's way, if you can!!!!

His site: http://www.studioartfx.com/

Closed Thread