The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: When will Fox announce the sequel?
- When FC reaches $200M in the Foreign market 2 9.09%
- With the final worldwide gross 2 9.09%
- After DVD release, with the great sales 12 54.55%
- After The Wolverine release and first weeks gross 2 9.09%
- Later 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #101
superman555
Side-Kick

Default Re: When do you think Fox will announce the sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell2ThaIzzay View Post
I believe its more of a case of the X-Men movies running its course, and future movies not having much left to offer the series, and people seeing this franchise now of just overextending itself.
Yeah I pretty much agree with this. Honestly whatever sequel does come out, it's just gonna be another X-Men vs Humans/Brotherhood kind of deal. Sure, new characters with different powers can be introduced, but after five movies, eh it does tend to be tedious. I think this is why the box office suffered because ppl just aren't as interested and the newer cast. So yeah I don't see why X4 is being considered. X3 is like five years old...A total reboot would be better or FC2 but I hope they will take the movie in another direction...

superman555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 AM   #102
BMM
Side-Kick

Quote:
Which is exactly why I don't want any sequels or prequels anymore. The story has been told. There's not much to add to the franchise.
I think you can say that about a lot of franchises, but I don't think that necessarily means future movies can't be enjoyed or that they don't have a story to tell. My issue is with people thinking that X-Men 4 offers something that a First Class sequel doesn't. A sequel to First Class doesn't have to be limited to the events of the initial trilogy anymore than a sequel to The Last Stand will be. There are plenty of characters and storylines that can exist on their own, without being tied down by what's come before.

You do make a good point about the franchise becoming a cluster----, though. It really is all over the place, especially if they decide to leap forward and make a sequel to The Last Stand.

Personally, I don't think they X-Men franchise will enjoy the same success it once had until they reboot the franchise, and that's simply because a reboot provides a completely fresh start in which everything is new and people think the possibilities are endless again.

BMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:34 AM   #103
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

Well a reboot is really the last place I want the franchise to go. The movies gave me exactly what I want from an X-Men series, I really don't want to see another take on it. It's either going to essentially tell the same thing anyways (Xavier v. Magneto / X-Men v. Brotherhood, picking and choosing which characters to fit the story, and likely not going with an original 5 to start off with, all stuff that was done perfectly fine the first time around. I have no desire to see someone other than Stewart, McKellen, Jackman, Famke, Grammer, etc... in their iconic roles. Outside of maybe Halle Berry, the series was cast perfectly) or it's going to go in some crazy direction that I don't really wanna see anyways (to justify itself, it may go completely opposite this current series and start taking the X-Men into space, battling space aliens, etc... just stuff I don't even like in the comics, let alone want to see in a movie).

And you're right - that can be said about a lot of franchises, and quite frankly, that's when I, as an audience member, begin to tune out is when these franchises needlessly overextend themselves. Pirates of the Caribean was great. I thought it was perfect on it's own. Then they had to go and make 2 and 3, and predictably enough, those movies weren't needed, and didn't re-capture the magic of the first. And now they are even on 4, and I haven't even seen it yet. Terminator and Terminator 2 were an amazing 1-2 punch of movie and sequel. Terminator 3, nor Terminator Salvation were much needed. And alas, they offered nothing to the franchise as a whole. There are countless franchises that I tune out from the get go because a sequel simply wasn't needed, but they are made anyways. X-Men is fast reaching that point. In fact, I think it's already reached it. There was no need for X-Men: First Class. It happened to be an awesome movie, and it surpassed my expectations. But as someone who is a huge X-Men fan, I had the least hype for this movie that I have had for any X-Men movie to come out, because there's just nothing left to do. And I'm sure I will be hyped even less for any future movies to come out.

If they can continue to make quality X-Men movies, then I'm all for it, but I just don't see what's left. And personally, the last thing I want to see is either a reboot, or future films that come out that decide to disregard whatever they want from previous movies and just trek along ignoring events from past movies. In the beginning, X2, X-Men: The Last Stand, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine all had the benefit of adding to the X-Men movie universe, expanding on plot points that were introduced prior, concluding plot points that built up over the course of numerous movies, and overall worked together to tell a larger story. Now? Now these movies just serve to contradict and ret-con each other. Having reached that territory, I think it's time to call it a day on the X-Men franchise and quit while you're ahead.

Unfortunately, the business model is to juice as much money from these properties as you can, which means running it into the ground until it's become a joke. The X-Men movies aren't far from that status.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 AM   #104
Angamb
Banned User

The sequel to First Class will have a really good boxoffice.

So the day it gets released, we'll can say that the audience is still interested.

This franchise is not dead yet. You will see.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #105
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
I don't want Michael Bay anywhere near the X-Men.Steven Spielberg will never go anywhere to a franchise he Isn't Involved In from begining.
I don't want those 2 in the X-Men franchise!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #106
Superhero 101
DESI

Well it seems like vaugn is willing to do a sequel to fc he already has some cool ideas going for it I think that fox will greenlight a sequel soon hopefully

Old 07-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #107
merbass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
How about Uwe Boll ?

merbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #108
merbass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
Well it seems like vaugn is willing to do a sequel to fc he already has some cool ideas going for it I think that fox will greenlight a sequel soon hopefully

Well, the sequel is being discussed now, so we will hear soon. Perhaps 2013 or 2014. I'm leaning towards 2013.

Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #109
Superhero 101
DESI

2013 would be nice but I hope fox. Doesn't release it in another busy year since thor and iron man sequels are coming out that year we wouldn't want another underperforming xmen movie released in an overcrowded market

Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 AM   #110
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhero 101 View Post
2013 would be nice but I hope fox. Doesn't release it in another busy year since thor and iron man sequels are coming out that year we wouldn't want another underperforming xmen movie released in an overcrowded market
2014 would be a better year if The Wolverine came out in 2012 because that would give us 1 year without a new X-film and it would build more anticipation. But I would be so happy if Second Class gets released in 2013. 3 X-movies in 3 years is just soooo X-Citing!

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 AM   #111
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merbass View Post
How about Uwe Boll ?
FOX would never hire that guy

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #112
Angamb
Banned User

The sequel should be released on 2014, so the cast would look older and they could set the plot some more years later, instead of setting it in late 60's.

but Im not sure if they will really start the sequel 10 years after FC events. That would mean a BIG change in the school, characters relationships and all..... it could feel a bit weird for the audience.

Last edited by Angamb; 07-11-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #113
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
The sequel should be released on 2014, so the cast would look older and they could set the plot some more years later, instead of setting it in late 60's.

but Im not sure if they will really start the sequel 10 years after FC events. That would mean a BIG change in the school, characters relationships and all..... it could feel a bit weird for the audience.
10 years seems too big a leap in time. But they might do it if they decided to bring in Storm, Jean and Cyclops, though the 70s still seems a bit soon for those three. It all depends what they have in mind for the next film.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:05 PM   #114
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Bay is a proven master of physical action scenes and the meshing of complex CGI with the real world, i wouldn't mind if he had some involvement as exec producer to help with the staging of the action sequences. I've never seen substandard CGI or dodgy wirework in Transformers, so he has an eye for that aspect of these epic sequences.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:38 PM   #115
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Well since the movie underperformed domestically I'm not assuming that a sequel is being made.

If it gets made, fine but I'm not assuming that.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #116
X Knight
Symbol of Hope

I hope First Class gets a sequel, as it was by far my favorite X-men movie, and one of my favorite superhero movies.

Disney Lover and Proud!!
X Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #117
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
Well since the movie underperformed domestically I'm not assuming that a sequel is being made.

If it gets made, fine but I'm not assuming that.
I'm not so sure it "underperformed". The more I think about it the more I think FOX saw this as a film to make to hang onto the rights a little longer. I don't think they had faith in this film like they did the main 3; if they had they would have given them more than 11 months to do it all, done a lot more to market it, and would have changed its release date to keep it from competing with the week after week of heavy hitters in this particular year (Pirates, Transformers, Hangover, Captain American, Green Lantern, the LAST FREAKING HARRY POTTER MOVIE). It had all these things working against it and it still managed to make back its budget and earn a little extra in domestic alone. Internationally it's made 200M for a worldwide total of 342M. More than twice the budget, and will probably end its run at 350. Add in the DVD sales and you've got a modestly successful movie.

Not to mention, the article posted earlier indicated that the higherups were already pleased with X-Men's performance.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:07 AM   #118
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I'm sure it underperformed. After 11 years of inflation it won't outgross the original film domestically, thats not very impressive. Tickets cost way more so it should have at least be able to do that and yet it isn't going to. Plus it's legs have only been slightly better than mediocre at best. So yeah better than X2's, X3 and Wolverine but still not in line with a movie with such great reviews and supposed great word of mouth. It should be matching the first film's legs.

The higher ups also said that they were pleased with Superman Returns boxoffice numbers and even Green Lantern's. They lie all the time.

I'm not saying that a sequel won't happen but people who think that it's a lock to happen are living in a land of make-believe.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:21 AM   #119
Nell2ThaIzzay
Banned User

It probably will happen just because I'm sure Fox doesn't want to lose the rights to the X-Men franchise, and it got good enough reviews and was successful enough to probably justify one more shot at it.

Nell2ThaIzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:14 AM   #120
merbass
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I'm sure it underperformed. After 11 years of inflation it won't outgross the original film domestically, thats not very impressive. Tickets cost way more so it should have at least be able to do that and yet it isn't going to.
Don't forget other factors such as current economy in USA, the number of movies playing, piracy etc. 11 years ago, you don't find movies on the internet as soon as it is playing or even before it is released.

Too bad the movie is not being shown in China. It could have made another 10-20 millions there !

Old 07-12-2011, 04:22 AM   #121
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
It probably will happen just because I'm sure Fox doesn't want to lose the rights to the X-Men franchise, and it got good enough reviews and was successful enough to probably justify one more shot at it.
Agreed. I also think that its success internationally has also proven there's a market for it. It's already made enough worldwide to pass X-Men without adjusting for inflation, with adjustment it will fall just a little short.

Another thing is (though I don't know how much this resonates with the people who matter in this decision), when X-Men came out it was hard to pirate movies, most people were still on dialup and trying to navigate Napster. But now pirating is fast and everywhere and everyone does it. How many people do you suppose skipped out on the theatre to watch it online?

It's a strange argument, I'm aware, but when it comes to the monetary success patterns of a movie I wonder how much the internet has come in to shift perspectives.

I still think DVD sales can contribute as well. Wasn't there something somewhere where someone said Austin Powers was saved by its DVD sales? That movie made a paltry 60M in theatres worldwide. But something must have changed because the sequel made more than 5 times that. Look at Batman Begins, it made 372M, not far off from FC's probable final tally. And then the sequel shattered box office records everywhere, grossing 1BILLION. I don't think that FC 2 could breach the 1B mark. But I do think it could double its earnings with a sequel and, yknow, marketing.

blueserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:00 AM   #122
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
Bay is a proven master of physical action scenes and the meshing of complex CGI with the real world, i wouldn't mind if he had some involvement as exec producer to help with the staging of the action sequences. I've never seen substandard CGI or dodgy wirework in Transformers, so he has an eye for that aspect of these epic sequences.
Well he is very good in cinematography. But still, if he became an executive producer, he still has a say on the story and that is just not okay for me.

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 07-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #123
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
It would be either X4 or Second Class

"'Nuff said" - SM3
Old 11-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #124
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

After the DVD release with the great sales.