The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

View Poll Results: Should Captain America be played by an American actor?
Yes, Cap should be American! 73 64.04%
No, the nationality of Cap is not important. 41 35.96%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #176
irapogi
Side-Kick

Default Re: Should Captain America be played by an American actor??

seriously, to all the people saying he has to be american..

I'd like a definition.

Seriously, someone who was born in america, but raised in the philippines, is still technically an american.

likewise, an aussie or brit who'se lived in america all/most his life could/might understand what you're talking about, but without the passport, would it matter? also, yeah, he might have an accent, but the argument is pretty much resolved that people can hide accents. (some better than others)

but in the case that we get the best actor possible, who could maybe hide his accent should he have one, and raised in america most his life, then doesnt have the citizenship

i dont get it.

i seriously think it doesnt matter.
best person for the job PERIOD.
should he be american, then great, but i don't think it's absolutely necesary

irapogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:01 AM   #177
irapogi
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainrogers View Post
As long as he can ACT, LOOK, and SOUND and MAKE US BELIEVE he IS CAP, I don't care where the actor is from. If a non-U.S. born actor can infuse the part with the passion for the ideals that represent America, who's to say he should lose the part to a lesser actor who's sole trumping qualification is a happy coincidence of the location of his birth. The irony sometimes is that I see more patriotism from immigrants than I do from born citizens. All in all, I guess I'm for the best man for the job. Regardless of his place of birth. Give me a man who will "Make Me Believe...."
qft.

irapogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 AM   #178
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

I would let it slide considering we got Downey playing one of the biggest Brit icons in existence right now. But if he comes off like Liam Neeson trying to do an accent and failing horribly, then **** that mother****er, says I.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:57 AM   #179
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04nbod View Post
Firstly I'm not american but I want the best actor for the job. I want to watch a guy be convincingly Steve Rogers, the Captain America part thats an accessory. I think people here would put so many qualities about themselves before their nationality when asked what makes them who they are. However if you want an American in the role then just say you do rather than justifying it in a scenario where Americans playing non americans is common place. I would argue Superman is a bigger symbol of America to the world than Cap even with his name and how many people here want Henry Cavill? How many people here want an american Wonder Woman even though the character comes from a mediterannean island? People weren't complaining about Halle as Storm because she wasn't african. Robert Downey Jr. is playing Sherlock Holmes and do you see brits complaining? Pierce Brosnan, the irishman as Bond, Mel Gibson as William Wallace. What makes Cap different from any other American on film? What makes him the uber-american? Is it the spandex?
Actually, I have.

terry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #180
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

I'm happy they chose an American actor to be Captain America.Chris Evans did a good job.

Old 11-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #181
kedrell
ThatsAlotOfNuts!!

I will say that the first big screen treatment should have been an american actor. Now that that is accomplished, any future actors who take up the role, I'm less concerned with whether they are american or not and more concerned that they be just the best fit for the part.