The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

View Poll Results: Do you want Captain America to have a secret identity?
Captain America's identity as Stever Rogers is secret 20 48.78%
Captain America's identity as Steve Rogers is known 21 51.22%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2009, 04:53 AM   #51
Artistsean
Monkey Boy

Default Re: Secret Identity?

I am still unsure which I would want.

You choose one you gain things the other doesn't have, but you also loose things.

With a secret ID you get him having a secret life away from the government, superhero life, and away from Captain America.
He can have friends who are regular people, a civilian girlfriend, and a day job as a comic artist. But you loose his movie being different in that he isn't just another superhero with a secret identity. He is a government agent. That parts makes his movie stand out from the movies like Batman, Spider-Man, and Superman.

But if you has a known identity you loose the secret life stuff.

There can be justifications made for having a known or unknown,
Cap wears a mask no matter what because its the symbol of America. Not to hide his identity, at least not only to do that.

I would like to see the way the movie goes. I will probably be happy with both.

Artistsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #52
Silvermoth
Avenger

bump.

So what about James Barnes finding out Steve's identity? In the original series, Bucky was a kid who worked out who Steve Rogers is so Steve let him come into battle. Do you think this should be a part of the movie?

I think they should open the film with James and Steve in a cinema together watching a film then later on when Steve first wears the costume, one of the platoon who sees him is James and the two reconnect. After that, James is brought in as an antidote to the Hitler youth.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:43 PM   #53
Anubis
Sup?

I think they'd be better off going with the current origin of the Cap/Bucky's partnership. That being that Buck was hand picked and trained to be Cap's sidekick, publicly as an answer to the Hitler Youth thing, and classified, as a highly skilled, extremely dangerous black op. And all that other stuff is just propaganda crap for the newsreels.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:02 PM   #54
Dr. Sid Jawtug
Banned User

Since it seems like Cap is going the Ultimates route, I would only guess that it will be known throughout.

Dr. Sid Jawtug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:07 PM   #55
Kurosawa
Banned User

During the war, I would say keep it secret. To the public, he shouldn't have a real name, it cuts into his power as a symbol. After the war it doesn't really matter. It's no an essential part of the character like the Clark Kent/Superman dynamic is.

Kurosawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #56
afan
Side-Kick

Question: If he has no secret identity, why does he need a mask?

Old 03-15-2010, 11:48 AM   #57
Anubis
Sup?

Cuz it's part of the uniform. He's a representation of America, therefore he doesn't really need a face if that makes sense to you.

Anubis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #58
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well for me they will probably have bucky just be a regular solider who works with steve and they become close friends. As for the identity thing. i would have it be a secret in the past to protect any family steve has back home and friends/loved ones back there. But then in the present he is probably going to be working with shield so it wouldnt really be needed much in the present day.

Marvel and the House of Mouse?
www.ItsJustMovies.com
Webhead2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:40 PM   #59
Blackman
C'mon Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead2006 View Post
well for me they will probably have bucky just be a regular solider who works with steve and they become close friends. .
I agree, I really hope that Bucky isnt a masked sidekick

Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM   #60
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

yea i dont really see the whole sidekick thing actually happening. They will probably just as i said and i am sure others have said just be a solider/friend he works with and all that. And bucky probably gets the nickname bucky from steve or something.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #61
blinkuldhc
Side-Kick

The reason why you have dual/secret identities in fiction is to portray the double life, to contrast the personalities between the normal identity and the super hero alter ego.

We like reading and watching Clark Kent and Superman because of the contrast between the bumbling Kent and the immaculate Superman.

With Parker and Spiderman, you have a nerdy misfit in Parker and the city's hero in Spiderman.

Even with Daredevil, it's fascinating to have a blind Murdock lead this life as a superhero -- the last person you'd ever suspect.

In the above, we see the authors portray the superheroes' human weaknesses to relate the characters with the audience, while making their superhero alter egos infallible and powerful to distinguish the characters from the audience.

But with Captain America and Steve Rogers, I am not sure I find Steve Rogers interesting/compelling enough to deserve his own portrayal in a movie. How different is he from Captain America? What are his human weaknesses, are the weaknesses relate-able? To me, there is no need for a secret identity to tell the story. I see Steve Rogers and Captain America as interchangeable uber patriots who won't budge for anyone or anything, telling each side's story would just be redundant, IMO.

blinkuldhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:32 PM   #62
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

well in most incarnations once he is in the present he is pretty much a known person like stark or the fantastic four. Plus in the present he has no family to be worrying about and all that. Though i wouldnt mind to see him have a secret id in the present. but its likely they will not do it but will be private in the 40s.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 03-15-2010, 06:33 PM   #63
roach
I am the night

However in WW2 He cant be Captain America all the time he still needs another identity

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #64
Webhead2006
The Web-Swinger

sure in ww 2 he probably will be secret and have stuff to do when he isnt in costume. We will just have to see how they will play it up.

www.ItsJustMovies.com
Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 AM   #65
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

Captain America's secret identity of Steve Rogers should be kept a secret.