The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

View Poll Results: should the movie be an origin story?
Starting from krypton origin story 14 66.67%
is already a world wide celebrated figure 7 33.33%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #26
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Default Re: Do you want an origin story or he has been supers and we get flashbacks of the pa

Superman really needs a movie focusing on his origins. He has the most famous origin story of any superhero. The last son of an alien world raised on Earth. In light of Batman Begins, it's mind boggling that they have yet to make one.

You could easily make a movie just about Jor-El and Krypton. And a trilogy for a young Clark Kent.

Thundercrack85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:47 AM   #27
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

Default Re: Do you want an origin story or he has been supers and we get flashbacks of the pa

I think that we will see Clark starting off as a young man wandering around the World trying to decide, with all these powers, what his destiny is and then with flashbacks, some of his childhood years. Perhaps scenes which show him arriving on Earth and various other scenes showing how his characteristics developed by being raised on Earth, hopefully some bits showing his powers manifesting themselves. Then later on (somehow) him donning the mantle, so to speak.

I know this sounds a bit like Batman Begins, but to be honest I was more than satisfied how they handled how Bruce Wayne came to be Batman in that and would be happy to see something similar with MoS.

The only way I can see the Kryptonian events occurring is in a linear fashion, so I would expect that to be at the beginning of the move. Culminating in seeing Kal-El sent off to Earth.

This movie is going to have to be three or four hours long minimum I tells ya!

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
RetrogradeOrbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:56 AM   #28
SuperFerret
This guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman_200 View Post
I think there has not been a great Superman movie that is serious all the way through without camp that happens to be an origin. I would like to see the origin story (which is my favorite) correctly. By correctly I mean treated seriously, without campy jokes or campy villains to ruin the experience and with modern special effects. Christopher Reeve did the best possible job with what he was given but Gene Hackman was too campy as was everyone else in Metropolis and I'd like to forget Otis existed. So definitely, an origin story that establishes him from birth to adulthood.

Treat the character seriously, respectfully and stop with the camp. No disrespect to anyone who is religious but I think the story of (insert here the name of any religious character you would like) would be treated seriously in a movie no matter how impossible it could be. So, I expect the same kind of treatment for a character that is just as fictional (in my opinion) as whatever god, angel, demon, etc. you'd like to name.
And the award for most random tangents in a single post goes to...

I'd prefer an established Superman. Everyone knows the origin already, no need to see it again.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #29
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

It should be like Batman Begins, the main events begin 6-12 months before he becomes Superman, the rest is told in flashbacks.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:23 PM   #30
Lunar_Wolf
WTF face

I'd like the origins explained/shown through the opening credits. Watchman's opening titles were outstanding.

Lunar_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #31
SuperMike335!!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I hope they follow the style of BB. Don't start at the point that everyone expects you to start at (i.e. The Wayne's death, Krypton exploding)... take a different angle, add something new to the franchise.

I am 100% hoping for a non linear status, and I guess that includes flashbacks. But I don't want them to start with Superman already established. I want to see everything that brings him to that decision, and that is the experiences of his life - which don't have to be told in the cliched linear way that most people know.
So you want it to be original by doing what BB did?

SuperMike335!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:31 AM   #32
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMike335!! View Post
So you want it to be original by doing what BB did?
I don't see where I said original...

I just said I hope they do something similar to BB and start at a point in the story we haven't seen before, rather than simply starting at the beginning.

I'm fully aware that a non linear structure is not 'original' in films.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 06:35 AM   #33
SuperFerret
This guy

I'd prefer a linear structure for the most part. Don't try anything fancy, just tell us a Superman story for frog's sake.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:06 PM   #34
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFerret View Post
I'd prefer an established Superman. Everyone knows the origin already, no need to see it again.
Everyone knows, fewr people understand, and even fewer care. They need to care for the movie to be good. "Everyone" also knew Batman's origin in 2005, but the movie was a lot better for exploring it from a new angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Van Sixx View Post
But are you guys worried that by following such a format, the film will be accused of aping the success of Batman Begins? In which case it'll be nicknamed Superman Begins, and people will see it as merely adapting a successful formula, rather than standing on its own two feet. I want to see a Superman movie that's unique. But I've changed my opinion about the origin and now believe it's integral to a proper reboot.
Whoa, whoa, back in reality, when have the masses ever rejected something because it's "merely adapting a successful formula?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I don't see where I said original...

I just said I hope they do something similar to BB and start at a point in the story we haven't seen before, rather than simply starting at the beginning.

I'm fully aware that a non linear structure is not 'original' in films.
This is where I am. Aping Begins' non-linear origin story is, imho, the way to go. It's not overdone, and most people aren't savvy enough to draw the lines, at least not during the viewing. The movie can linearly deal with Clark's introduction to Metropolis, while dealing with Smallville in flashbacks. I mean, the scene where he walks into his childhood home as Superman is MADE for a flashback...

Extra points if Krypton is not the first thing we see.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #35
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
This is where I am. Aping Begins' non-linear origin story is, imho, the way to go. It's not overdone, and most people aren't savvy enough to draw the lines, at least not during the viewing. The movie can linearly deal with Clark's introduction to Metropolis, while dealing with Smallville in flashbacks. I mean, the scene where he walks into his childhood home as Superman is MADE for a flashback...

Extra points if Krypton is not the first thing we see.
Completely agreed.

Althought I'll be happy for Krypton to be the first thing we see if it's a scene relating to Zod's villainy/Zod and Jor-el's feud, and not just the 'krypton collapses - baby flies off' into space scene.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote