The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 12-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #51
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Default Re: Should the ending foreshadow the sequel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weadazoid View Post
Cheasy??? How so? If anything The GL sequence where for no reason what so ever SInestro embraces Fear in the form of ring.

Yeah.... the end of Iron Man 2 seemed odd cuase it just almost didn't fit, but it worked.

Tony Stark showing up at the end of the increadible Hulk was CLASSIC.

Selvig being called in to look at the cube was also great.

The end of Cap hardly felt tacked on or cheasy
Well then, we have very different standards of what is "great" or "classic". All of those scenes felt unnecessary and the very fact that they were included after credits suggests this. They have nothing to do with the story being told. Doing something like that suggests that it is just for the hardcore waiting for fanservice. The very fact that they are included reduces the film's potential. It's not aspiring to to be a great film just a "comic book movie". I want Man of Steel to be a great film in its own right, like the Nolan Batman films. It deserves to be more than just a comic book movie.

By the way, why bring up Green Lantern? I never said anything about it. I referenced the MArvel films because they are the majority of the movies that do these sort of teasers. I wasn't making some Marvel/DC comparison.

DKDetective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:22 PM   #52
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

But if it's at the end and there aren't any references thoughout the movie would you still think it takes away from the film?

Old 12-06-2011, 05:40 AM   #53
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofsteel4life View Post
But if it's at the end and there aren't any references thoughout the movie would you still think it takes away from the film?
That's what I think takes away from the film especially. Post-credits sequences are lazy belly scratching for fans. It should be like Begins and a natural extension of the story told.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:32 AM   #54
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
That's what I think takes away from the film especially. Post-credits sequences are lazy belly scratching for fans. It should be like Begins and a natural extension of the story told.
I actually agree with you on that....I'm referring to before the end of credits like how begins did....would u be ok with that?

Old 12-06-2011, 11:40 AM   #55
DKDetective

Quote:
I actually agree with you on that....I'm referring to before the end of credits like how begins did....would u be ok with that?
I love the way Begins did it because it was also a natural extension of the story. The whole film is about becoming Batman, something elemental and symbolic to shake people out of apathy. He defeats Ra's and takes a good chunk out of the mob. But... there are consequences. Someone on the other side has decided to take his example to heart and use it against him.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #56
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
I agree. When I go to see a Marvel movie, I run as soon as the credits are there. Much like you I consider those after-credit scenes cheap fans-pleasers that can ruin part of the experience.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #57
Mace Dolex
Powerful User

I think first MOS would have to be mega success to greenlight a sequel after all we know how badly Superman Returns tanked.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #58
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
I think first MOS would have to be mega success to greenlight a sequel after all we know how badly Superman Returns tanked.
I don't know about that. Returns made far more money than Begins and Begins still got a sequel. According to supermanhomepage.com, Warner Bros. is supposed already planning a sequel based on how MOS's production is going if I remember the story right.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #59
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
I love the way Begins did it because it was also a natural extension of the story. The whole film is about becoming Batman, something elemental and symbolic to shake people out of apathy. He defeats Ra's and takes a good chunk out of the mob. But... there are consequences. Someone on the other side has decided to take his example to heart and use it against him.
Then we agree......that's similar to what I want in MOS, that's all I'm saying....

Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #60
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I agree. When I go to see a Marvel movie, I run as soon as the credits are there. Much like you I consider those after-credit scenes cheap fans-pleasers that can ruin part of the experience.
In the case of Captain America, they took the after credits scene and stuck it at the end. Diluting a potentially probing ending. And then stuck another one after credits.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #61
Mako
Galactic Crusier

I most have said I'd rather see something along the lines Batman Begins rather than a after credits scene.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #62
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
No we don't. It didn't do bad numbers at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid View Post
In the case of Captain America, they took the after credits scene and stuck it at the end. Diluting a potentially probing ending. And then stuck another one after credits.
Thanks man. It's better when you know those things in advance.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:57 PM   #63
DKDetective

Quote:
Then we agree......that's similar to what I want in MOS, that's all I'm saying....
Okay, when you said at the end and no references throughout the film, I thought you were suggesting that it should be gratutious and unconnected to the rest of the movie, which to me is as troublesome and cheesy as trying to shove in sequel references throughout the film that have nothing to do with the story being told (a la Iron Man 2). Now that I understand what you meant, I agree that the Begins way is the way to go. However, I think it's harder to pull off than people realize.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #64
Frontier
Arkham Asylum Inmate

In the same manner as Batman Begins did Dark Knight... yes.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:33 AM   #65
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Quote:
Okay, when you said at the end and no references throughout the film, I thought you were suggesting that it should be gratutious and unconnected to the rest of the movie, which to me is as troublesome and cheesy as trying to shove in sequel references throughout the film that have nothing to do with the story being told (a la Iron Man 2). Now that I understand what you meant, I agree that the Begins way is the way to go. However, I think it's harder to pull off than people realize.
Well if they show something like Supes destroying some satellite by mistake thus maybe drawing Brainiacs attention or something like that.....I mean that's a good setup for a sequel if it is braniac we are getting in a hopeful sequel....I think that would be a great way to setup a sequel without taking anything away from the story...what do you think?

Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 AM   #66
Vadakin
Newbie First Class

I think a Lex Luthor reference is a must. Whether that's the Lexcorp logo on the side of a buiding or a cameo by the man himself (as played by Jon Hamm!!), I think his presence in Metropolis needs to be felt. I know there's a desire to move away from Lex as the villain for a while but excluding him completely would be a mistake in my opinion.

Would I want to directly foreshadow the sequel? No. This is the first movie and should stand alone. However I think acknowledging the wider universe is something that could definitely be pursued. Think of Doc Connors in the Spider-Man movies. Fans knew at some point he would become the Lizard (OK that ultimately didn't happen but it was the plan) but it was never referenced in that regard. With respect to Superman, you could have him taking down some Intergang operation, which for fans would signal the existence of Darkseid and for non fans it's just Superman doing what he does best in making the city safer. It doesn't mean that Darkseid will show up in the next movie but it provides a connection.

As for after-credits scenes...I hate them. OK I don't, but I hate that Marvel have them at the very end of the credits (apart from Incredible Hulk which had it much earlier). You could have a scene where Lex Luthor comes across Kryptonite, which could serve to set up a conflict in a future film, possibly involving Metallo but I wouldn't do something like that unless there was a clear plan for future films, by which I mean the producers and writers should have an idea of the plot for the second movie before putting in such teasers. Marvel could do it because they knew what was coming next and you had multiple films in production at the same time.

Vadakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:01 PM   #67
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Now, I LOVE a good after-credits scene. I watch them multiple times, and I really think the masses do as well, as gimmicky as it is. That being said, however, the way Batman Begins did it, where they did a prelude to the rest of the franchise that flowed from the story and just happened to include a villain easter egg... that was just plain old better.

For MOS, this isn't the Marvel cookie cutter, rush a half decent movie out so we can make Avengers... it's Superman. The Superman. It's gotta be as artistic as it is commercial, and that means, no after credits silliness.

Do you know what I would LOVE to see? Some during credits clips, usually reserved for comedies, at least pictures or something. I know they have to make room for all the flashy end titles, but I love end credits graphics.

Anyway, to answer the original question, the end needs to foreshadow the sequel, and it's worth the risk of one not being made, because foreshadowing a sequel after a great movie has the chance to yield a billion dollars.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #68
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

[QUOTE=DrCosmic;22069373]Now, I LOVE a good after-credits scene. I watch them multiple times, and I really think the masses do as well, as gimmicky as it is. That being said, however, the way Batman Begins did it, where they did a prelude to the rest of the franchise that flowed from the story and just happened to include a villain easter egg... that was just plain old better.

For MOS, this isn't the Marvel cookie cutter, rush a half decent movie out so we can make Avengers... it's Superman. The Superman. It's gotta be as artistic as it is commercial, and that means, no after credits silliness.

Do you know what I would LOVE to see? Some during credits clips, usually reserved for comedies, at least pictures or something. I know they have to make room for all the flashy end
titles, but I love end credits graphics.

Anyway, to answer the original question, the end needs to foreshadow the

sequel, and it's worth the risk of one not being made, because foreshadowing
a sequel after a great movie has the chance to yield a

The last part you said is so right

Old 12-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #69
TwilightPro101

Yes, most definitely.

ScarJo IS Black Widow
TwilightPro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #70
Szetsilya
Lois Lane --> Leia Lane

Suprman in cinema has suffered greatly. He hasn't been embraced on screen since 1981. Only the good lord knows what will happen to the notion of Superman on screen if this movie fails. Superman Returns operated as a movie that was going to get a sequel and that questions that arose would be answered later; later never came. The last movie I recall that operated like there was going to be a sequel was Priest. If they want to do a 30 second foreshadow at the very end then that's fine; but the most important thing about this movie should be to actually make it good before people start saying Superman is unable to work on the big screen.

Szetsilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:17 AM   #71
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Yea that's what Im saying....just a quick one maybe a little longer than 30 secs though, perhaps a min more than likey....and before the end credits

Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #72
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I'm sorta half and half with this idea. I mean it would be a nice tease to have something setting out where the franchise could go, but with the reboot we don't know yet how it will go and I don't want it to end up like this:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

He wasn't.... well not like that at least.

You just have to imagine Micheal Sheen as He-man.

Though if there is a planned story arc for multiple movies then maybe it will be a stronger story by linking the movies.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote