The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 10-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #51
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Default Re: Hot Toys Michael Keaton Batman! NEW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamAlleys View Post

And besides, the whole cowl itself is impractical. Both Keaton and Bale said it incredibly dilutes your perception, your awarness of depth, your vision, your hearing and its very claustrophobic so it also affects your coordination and sense of surroundings etc
That was my train of thought when I said to Alex "oh for farkssake"

Old 10-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #52
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Would never want to sacrifice anything cool looking for practical. Not in movies. Thats what movies are for, to show something that otherwise couldnt be shown or experienced. And as Kubrick used to say, "real is good but interesting is better". If we\d think about sacrificng interesting and cool look and aesthetics for practicality, 99% of scifi movies would have to have redesigns, most of Ridley Scott's scifi movies, Star Wars etc wouldt be near what they were visually and design-wise. Terminator would be just a pile of wires with big eyeballs and jaws with gums instead of the metal skull with red eyes as well

And besides, the whole cowl itself is impractical. Both Keaton and Bale said it incredibly dilutes your perception, your awarness of depth, your vision, your hearing and its very claustrophobic so it also affects your coordination and sense of surroundings etc
Sorry, but I don't agree.

Alex Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 AM   #53
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Way to back up your argument there! Clearly you're position of non-agreement is ill informed, or you're just blatantly turning the other cheek. Any type of facial/eye covering will limit and or diminish the field of vision, and for a crimefighter, that would be impractical.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #54
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Way to back up your argument there! Clearly you're position of non-agreement is ill informed, or you're just blatantly turning the other cheek. Any type of facial/eye covering will limit and or diminish the field of vision, and for a crimefighter, that would be impractical.
This would be correct. Tired of all the fighting that goes on here and it looks like you're looking for an argument.

I'm guessing that neither of you have ever trained in any form of combat correct? Well, I have. How you train is how you will fight. If Batman was real and if he trained to fight in a cowl he could be effective.

Just look feudal japan and the samurai. They were some of greatest warlords in history. Do you think all the garb they wore slowed them down? Look up Miyamoto Musashi, he was a samurai who became so good that he stopped using a sword.

Old 10-04-2011, 04:52 PM   #55
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

I'm not looking for an argument, I'm looking for discussion that's all.

I don't think Batman trained in the cowl. He would've trained prior to creating the Batsuit I think... but that's beside the point.

Actually I trained in fencing (foil and epee) for about 4 years in my youth, so I understand the limitations of the mask. You do learn to fight with the mask as you must... but I would also say that there is a possibility that you could fight better and have a slight advantage without a mask.

Old 10-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #56
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Logan View Post
This would be correct. Tired of all the fighting that goes on here and it looks like you're looking for an argument.

I'm guessing that neither of you have ever trained in any form of combat correct? Well, I have. How you train is how you will fight. If Batman was real and if he trained to fight in a cowl he could be effective.

Just look feudal japan and the samurai. They were some of greatest warlords in history. Do you think all the garb they wore slowed them down? Look up Miyamoto Musashi, he was a samurai who became so good that he stopped using a sword.

Helmet is different. I train jujitsu and kickboxing. Try fighting in a samurai helmet and then compare it to fighting in a motorcycle helmet. Theres a reason why Bale and Keaton said that the cowl is claustrophobic and diluting senses and perception

Old 10-04-2011, 06:56 PM   #57
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
I'm not looking for an argument, I'm looking for discussion that's all.

I don't think Batman trained in the cowl. He would've trained prior to creating the Batsuit I think... but that's beside the point.

Actually I trained in fencing (foil and epee) for about 4 years in my youth, so I understand the limitations of the mask. You do learn to fight with the mask as you must... but I would also say that there is a possibility that you could fight better and have a slight advantage without a mask.
The point I'm trying to make is that if Batman were real he would need to conceal his face and he would train in and out of the suit. Again, you will fight how you train. I can't tell you how many young martial artists I've talked to who have been beaten on the street only because they weren't wearing their "colors".

Quote:
Helmet is different. I train jujitsu and kickboxing. Try fighting in a samurai helmet and then compare it to fighting in a motorcycle helmet. Theres a reason why Bale and Keaton said that the cowl is claustrophobic and diluting senses and perception
Who said anything about a motorcycle helmet? How is a samurai helmet differnent? It's basically a Darth Vader helmet, only with the eyes removed.

Last edited by Alex Logan; 10-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #58
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Quote:

Who said anything about a motorcycle helmet? How is a samurai helmet differnent? It's basically a Darth Vader helmet, only with the eyes removed.

As oppose to helmets samurai or Roman wore, the cowl is connected to the bodysuit covering entire head and neck from top to bottom with no outlet, having only mouth exposed. Thats why it dilutes all the senses and awarness

Christian Bale (Rebecca Murray int): "you feel like you’re scuba diving or something, and it feels kind of claustrophobic"

As for the batsuit itself: "You can’t raise your arms up really high. You also need help around the toilet." (webwombat.com.au int). he also mentioned getting headaches in the suit and TDK suit being even heavier even if more mobile

Last edited by GothamAlleys; 10-04-2011 at 07:23 PM.
GothamAlleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 07:51 PM   #59
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
As oppose to helmets samurai or Roman wore, the cowl is connected to the bodysuit covering entire head and neck from top to bottom with no outlet, having only mouth exposed. That's why it dilutes all the senses and awarness

Christian Bale (Rebecca Murray int): "you feel like you’re scuba diving or something, and it feels kind of claustrophobic"

As for the batsuit itself: "You can’t raise your arms up really high. You also need help around the toilet." (webwombat.com.au int). he also mentioned getting headaches in the suit and TDK suit being even heavier even if more mobile
The cowl in TDK was not designed that way and my point is that TDK design is more practical then Keaton's Batman. If Batman were real it would have to be even more practical.

Last edited by Alex Logan; 10-05-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 PM   #60
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

Its fifty fifty. The TDK suit allows for more movement but its much heavier, so you gain one but lose the other

Old 10-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #61
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
The point I'm trying to make is that if Batman were real he would need to conceal his face and he would train in and out of the suit. Again, you will fight how you train. I can't tell you how many young martial arts I've talked to who have been beaten on the street only because they weren't wearing their "colors".

Well you have a point there.

As far as gettin beat on the street, man, you must be livin in some rough neighborhoods!

Old 10-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #62
helloiamben
Banned User

The point is, if you wore either the '89 or TDK suit in real life, you know reality, you'd have your ass handed to you in combat, have trouble moving and not feel very comfortable.

These are figures, based off suits that are utilized for films. They're both plausible for the films and stories they're featured in, nothing more. Lets not confuse real life with entertainment.

Last edited by helloiamben; 10-05-2011 at 01:19 PM.
helloiamben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:34 PM   #63
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Its fifty fifty. The TDK suit allows for more movement but its much heavier, so you gain one but lose the other
Well, I agree with you there.

Quote:
Well you have a point there.

As far as gettin beat on the street, man, you must be livin in some rough neighborhoods!
No, I just mean that I know a lot guys who train in martial arts who have either been given bad instruction or a false sense of security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloiamben View Post
The point is, if you wore either the '89 or TDK suit in real life, you know reality, you'd have your ass handed to you in combat, have trouble moving and not feel very comfortable.

These are figures, based off suits that are utilized for films. They're both plausible for the films and stories they're featured in, nothing more. Lets not confuse real life with entertainment.
No, the point is one could fight in a suit that was practical if he trained in and out of it.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:44 PM   #64
helloiamben
Banned User

Quote:
No, the point is one could fight in a suit that was practical if he trained in and out of it.
Who cares?

This is fiction. The only people I see that take dressing up as Batman seriously are cosplayers. Batman isn't real, the movie suits are grounded in reality, made to look good on screen to suspend audiences disbelief. Nothing more.

Last edited by helloiamben; 10-05-2011 at 02:47 PM.
helloiamben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:13 AM   #65
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:05 PM   #66
Dk1201
Side-Kick

now that looks cool

Dk1201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #67
theman
Banned User

im normally not into the 1/6 figures as they are too big to collect, but i am totally getting this. one of these days when i have 200 bucks to burn, the B89 bats and joker are MINE. aside from batman, i am a huge michael keaton fan and i think he is not only the best batman but a superb actor. rarely do i see an actor who can do so many different roles who can be both funny and serious, not to mention a really interesting, even phsycotic look. i just watched clean and sober with keaton and he was TERRIFIC. worth checking out.

theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #68
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

Oh man that figure looks so amazing

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 AM   #69
RedSkull
Lord of the Movie Masters

Not sure if I want 1 or 2...

I don't sleep I wait for more movie masters
RedSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #70
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSkull View Post
Not sure if I want 1 or 2...
LOL yeah if I could afford it I'd have to display and one to keep in the box.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #71
Bathead
The Oldest Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
im normally not into the 1/6 figures as they are too big to collect, but i am totally getting this. one of these days when i have 200 bucks to burn, the B89 bats and joker are MINE. aside from batman, i am a huge michael keaton fan and i think he is not only the best batman but a superb actor. rarely do i see an actor who can do so many different roles who can be both funny and serious, not to mention a really interesting, even phsycotic look. i just watched clean and sober with keaton and he was TERRIFIC. worth checking out.
Make sure you don't wait too long. The TDK figures from the DX line (same as these) originally went for about $200 new, but are now going for upwards of $900- $1000.

*splat*
Bathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #72
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

I don't buy action figures... but I want this sooooo much.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #73
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Cs Funny Re: Hot Toys Michael Keaton Batman! NEW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
*waves Jedi hand*

It's really more of a... statue...

Old 01-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #74
Alex Logan
Yes, Mr. Smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight90! View Post
Well, you should.

Quote:
*waves Jedi hand*

It's really more of a... statue...
Yep.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #75
El Payaso
Banned User

Quote:
Keaton's cape may look better, but it's not very practical.
A bat suit is not very practical.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote