The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The First Avenger

View Poll Results: What would you prefer the most?
Mainstream 73 61.34%
Ultimate 10 8.40%
The Movie-verse makes it's own version. 36 30.25%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #651
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Hugo Weaving is Red Skull - Part 6/6/44

He was a good guy pretty much the whole movie. We felt for him and even rooted for him. So he wasnt a villain..yet.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10, TMNT- 7.5/10, Maze Runner- 8/10, Expendables 3- 7/10, Interstellar-9/10, Big Hero 6- 8.5/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #652
The Overlord
Side-Kick

I thought movie Red Skull was pretty lame. In the comics he was driven by hate and malice blaming the world for his own crappy childhood. In this movie he is another generic power mad megalomaniac who likes power for power's sake. The comic Red Skull was actually evil and scary, in the movie he comes off as a generic James bond villain.

The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #653
Godzilla2000
The Real Deal

We have barely even learned much of the Red Skull's past. Who's to say that he won't be in a future sequel where they'll delve more into his psychological makeup? I'm betting he will become an Avengers villain as well. You have to keep some character development for future sequels you know. I'm sure we will see Steve Rogers facing Red Skull in modern times.

- Most offers are like a Happy Meal with a crappy toy inside, not really happy at all.
Godzilla2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:11 AM   #654
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
I thought movie Red Skull was pretty lame. In the comics he was driven by hate and malice blaming the world for his own crappy childhood. In this movie he is another generic power mad megalomaniac who likes power for power's sake. The comic Red Skull was actually evil and scary, in the movie he comes off as a generic James bond villain.
The movie was about Steve. As part of his character arc, there needed to be a villain that was absolutely evil. Steve doesn't like bullies. So it fit the narrative of the film. But it is also clear that Red Skull isn't dead, so he can return in another film, and then we can learn more about him.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:27 PM   #655
Ultra Lantern
In Darkest Night!

I perfer the mainstream version.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #656
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
The movie was about Steve. As part of his character arc, there needed to be a villain that was absolutely evil. Steve doesn't like bullies. So it fit the narrative of the film. But it is also clear that Red Skull isn't dead, so he can return in another film, and then we can learn more about him.
Except the problem was Red Skull wasn't a an absolutely evil villain in the movie, he came as a really generic villain, not a truly evil one. Sebastian Shaw in X-Men First Class seemed like a far more evil Nazi style villain then Red Skull. When Shaw murdered Magneto's mom, you felt that this was a truly evil character, Red Skull never had a moment like that in the movie, where he did something truly evil. Nothing the Skull did in this movie seemed as evil as Shaw's worst actions in X-Men First Class.

Old 11-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #657
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
Except the problem was Red Skull wasn't a an absolutely evil villain in the movie, he came as a really generic villain, not a truly evil one. Sebastian Shaw in X-Men First Class seemed like a far more evil Nazi style villain then Red Skull. When Shaw murdered Magneto's mom, you felt that this was a truly evil character, Red Skull never had a moment like that in the movie, where he did something truly evil. Nothing the Skull did in this movie seemed as evil as Shaw's worst actions in X-Men First Class.
While I agree the Red Skull never had one big defining moment that really portrayed his villainy, you can't say he wasn't absolutely evil. He had little bits here and there that demonstrated his disregard for human life and his ambition to rule the world. He killed his own officers and other nazis without hesitation and didn't let anyone or anything get in his way.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #658
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Red Skull killed a few people, I'm sure they were parents. lol. Thats pretty evil. He also wanted to destroy major cities and kill millions of people. If thats not evil, then idk what is. He didnt need to do anything sick. Wasnt that kinda film.

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8.5/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10, TMNT- 7.5/10, Maze Runner- 8/10, Expendables 3- 7/10, Interstellar-9/10, Big Hero 6- 8.5/10
Quasimod0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #659
Juicy J
Side-Kick

My thoughts exactly, he was sufficiently evil.

Juicy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:49 AM   #660
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Red Skull killed a few people, I'm sure they were parents. lol. Thats pretty evil. He also wanted to destroy major cities and kill millions of people. If thats not evil, then idk what is. He didnt need to do anything sick. Wasnt that kinda film.
But in the comics, what defines the Red Skull is a wiliness to do twisted and sick things, that's his character is about.

Who did he kill that were supposed to care about, that random henchman? Every villain usually manages to kill a few people, in the movies, Magento and Ra's Al Ghul kill a few people, that doesn't make them pure evil. The thing that makes an act truly evil in fiction is to have an act with a real impact, where the vileness has an impact on the characters and the viewers. Shaw killing Magneto's mom has far more of an impact then Red Skull's rather generic acts of villainy.

He didn't succeed in killing millions of people or destroying major cities, trying and failing to do that isn't nearly as evil as succeeding in doing something evil. Failing to do it, just makes for a rather generic villain. Saying Red Skull is truly evil because he tried to do something truly evil, but failed to do so doesn't work, almost every villain out there has tried to do something evil and failed to do so. Heck 80s cartoon villains have tried to enact devastating plans to take over the world and have failed, I don't think they are truly evil based solely on effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
While I agree the Red Skull never had one big defining moment that really portrayed his villainy, you can't say he wasn't absolutely evil. He had little bits here and there that demonstrated his disregard for human life and his ambition to rule the world. He killed his own officers and other nazis without hesitation and didn't let anyone or anything get in his way.
He was about as evil as a goofy James Bond villain, who wants to rule the world and offs his own minions, that is not absolutely evil, that's just standard villainy. Absolutely evil are acts that go beyond that. Red Skull in the comics went far beyond that, he wasn't just interested in just power, he had a cruel and sadistic side and would commit horrible acts that wouldn't necessarily bring him power, because they amused him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
My thoughts exactly, he was sufficiently evil.
Except the Red Skull is supposed to pure evil, not sufficiently evil. Take that away and the core of the character is gone.

Last edited by The Overlord; 11-25-2011 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #661
Shadowlord X
Side-Kick

Dude, relax. We get it, you wanted to see the Red skull do sick and twisted things.

The movie is called CAPTAIN AMERICA. It's about the journey of frail Steve Rogers to supersoldier, then to propaganda symbol/publicity figure, then to hero, and then to a legend.

It isn't a movie about the Red Skull. Villains are tradilitionally simply foils for the story of the hero, as is the case here. Some franchises may fool people into thinking it should be the other way around but that's not the case.

Maybe you can start a petition to get a Red Skull cameo in Hostel III?

Shadowlord X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #662
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowlord X View Post
Dude, relax. We get it, you wanted to see the Red skull do sick and twisted things.

The movie is called CAPTAIN AMERICA. It's about the journey of frail Steve Rogers to supersoldier, then to propaganda symbol/publicity figure, then to hero, and then to a legend.

It isn't a movie about the Red Skull. Villains are tradilitionally simply foils for the story of the hero, as is the case here. Some franchises may fool people into thinking it should be the other way around but that's not the case.

Maybe you can start a petition to get a Red Skull cameo in Hostel III?
Yes because clearly if I wanted Red Skull do something really evil, I want this movie to be Hostel, that's exactly what I mean.

Sebastian Shaw and Joker did really evil things in PG-13 films, I don't see why the Skull couldn't have done the same.

I know this movie is about Captain America, but you still need a compelling villain to carry the story and I did not find Red Skull compelling at all, he is just generic. I didn't care about the conflict between Cap and the Skull, because there was no reason to, nothing about the Skull made him stand out from any other villain and he lacked the more interesting rivalry they had in the comics. If I don't care about the Skull in this movie, why should I care about him or his conflict with Cap in a future film? They would have make him way more sinister in a sequel for me to want to see him in a sequel. Frankly I thought the villains were so weak in this film, that is a big part of why instead of thinking this movie is great, I only thought it was okay. The Captain America stuff was fine, but a lot of the other elements in this film were very weak. This movie felt like it was playing it very safe, with almost no Nazis and laser guns often replacing real guns. It felt like a GI Joe cartoon.

Last edited by The Overlord; 11-25-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #663
The Overlord
Side-Kick

I hope if the Red Skull shows up in a sequel, he will be scarier and more evil then in this film, more similar to his comic book counterpart.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #664
marcvader
Lurker #1

I think he would because of what he went through. Imagine seeing firsthand the vast possibility of power he just witnessed first hand. He definitely would want to possess it at all costs.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #665
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

"Captain America! This is so exciting! I am a great fan of your films!" Love that line.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #666
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^He did have some good lines, and a fantastic actor playing him, but I was REALLY dissapointed in him as a villain. I mean, I found Weaving as Megatron more menacing than RS, he just didnt seem to be able to really let go and so I found his performance REALLY boring.

The scene you mention Chris is easily the best scene in the movie for, when Cap and RS first meet, after the movie goes downhill if you ask me, and thats a lot down to RS not being interesting at all IMO.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #667
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

I don't know if this has been answered before, but is movie Red Skull's entire body red, or just his head? As far as I can remember, he had gloves on the entire film, so you couldn't even see his hands...

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #668
Chris Wallace
LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

They never made it clear.

Chris Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:29 PM   #669
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijunexus View Post
I don't know if this has been answered before, but is movie Red Skull's entire body red, or just his head? As far as I can remember, he had gloves on the entire film, so you couldn't even see his hands...

lol we all know what you really wanna ask...... just ask hahahahaha

Old 01-06-2012, 12:27 AM   #670
The Overlord
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
I think he would because of what he went through. Imagine seeing firsthand the vast possibility of power he just witnessed first hand. He definitely would want to possess it at all costs.
But that's what I don't like about movie Red Skull, all he cares about is power, he is a generic power mad villain and kinda boring really. Comic Book Red Skull did horrible things, even if they didn't bring him power, he liked doing bad things because he liked hurting people. That's the Red Skull I like to see, a morally repulsive psychopathic monster, not some generic power mad James Bond villain. I think comic book Red Skull was more scary then his movie counterpart, because he was driven by hate and malice, rather then just a lust for power.

If Red Skull just talks about how all he wants is power in his next appearance, I don't want to see him again. If Red Skull isn't truly evil like his comic book counterpart, a real monster instead of a generic villain, I don't see the point of using him again.

Red Skull should be more like Hitler and less like Cobra Commander from the GI Joe cartoon.

Last edited by The Overlord; 01-06-2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #671
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I think thats part of what made me not enjoy the character like I should, he just didnt seem brutally evil enough, he just seemed very panto in his portrayal and the fact that Weaving wasnt really allowed to let loose at all meant his performance suffered also.

I was expecting a lot from Hugo Weaving as The Red Skull, and ended up being very dissapointed, if we do see him again, let Weaving cut loose and we will see a much better portrayal IMO.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-06-2012, 04:38 PM   #672
marcvader
Lurker #1

Well to be fair early comicbook Red Skull was the way he was depicted in the movie, in line with the retro vibe. Modern writing sensibilities and tastes made him what he is today.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #673
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Really? Whenever I have read a comic-book with him in (dont read Cap but seen him in other heroes story's) he comes accross a lot more menacing than he did in the movie.

He just didnt seem a threat or interesting at all, he wasnt sympathetic and at the same time he wasnt the evil sadistic guy you love to hate ala The Joker, Sebastian Shaw, Megatron or Deacon Frost. He was just, there.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #674
Spider-Fan
Puppet tangled in strings
SHH! Global Moderator

This movie had a retro action movie vibe to it, and was a homage to old style action serials much like Indiana Jones is, mixed with elements of the MCU (ala Cosmic Cube, etc). I loved the vibe of the movie, and the Red Skull came off like a Bond-esque villain, which suited the tone of the movie. Had the Red Skull been as evil as Hitler, the tone would have changed. I think the tone for this movie worked very well, and Red Skull was a very effective villain in it.

Spider-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #675
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

I loved the tone of the movie i'll agree that it was in the old style serial movies, but cant agree about Red Skull, you have this great actor playing him and you barely give him anything to do, it was really dissapointing, I just didnt find him menacing at all, he probably did worse things in the movie than Loki or Stane did but yet they were much more menacing and much better villains.