http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/120/1200607p1.html

EtherMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #77
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Default Re: The Video Game Thread

New iOS game...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/1...videogame-ios/

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #78
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Dang it! I want but don't have an iOS device.

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #79
MOS
Man of Steel-AKA Superman

^ Looks fun, and they used the classic suit!

Christopher Reeve - 1978-1987
Dean Cain - 1992-1997
Brandon Routh - 2006
Tom Welling - 2010-2011
Henry Cavill - 2013-???
MOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #80
EtherMagic
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonator View Post
Actually, no they don't. The Amazing Spider-Man game was only just revealed at NYCC this past month.

You obviously did not read my entire post (or did not understand it if you did). Spidermans coding has been writen for years already from previous games.

Example: UFC Undisputed 2009 took over 2 years to make, writing the code can take anywhere from 5-12 months alone. It also depends on what engine they use, if they want to speed up the process they can licence the Unreal Engine for example. UFC 2010 was finished in 8 months, once the coding is writen, then they can start making the game. Same with sports games such as Madden. The first installment took almost 3 years to make for 360 , after the coding was writen they were popping them out yearly.

Since the coding has not been writen for a Sups game yet, expect an announcement way earlier then your Spidy game (as to Film release to game ratio).

EtherMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:08 PM   #81
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

And here's the iOS game...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/1...os-game-video/

Quote:
Nov 17th 2011 By: Caleb Goellner

New 'Superman' Game Arrives for iOS Devices [Video]

It's been some time since fans had easy access to a modern Superman videogame -- let alone one they actually wanted to play -- but from the looks of Tiger Games and Chillingo Ltd's newly released Superman iOS title, the wait might finally be over... at least for fans with iPhones, iPod Touches and/or iPads. We saw a few images of the game prior to release, but video (as usual) seems like a better indicator of what's in store for players. See new video and images from the new Superman iOS game after the jump to get a feel for what it's all about.

Here's the lowdown from the Superman game's iTunes listing:

• IS IT A BIRD, IS IT A PLANE?

Soar across the Metropolis skyline and use all of Superman's most iconic powers, including heat vision, super-breath, super-strength, and super-speed. When the threat is a little further from home, fly into outer space to stop meteors and falling satellites in their path.

• SAVING THE DAY
The 18 levels of superpowered action offer a perfect playground for putting Superman's abilities to the test. Save Metropolis from the villainous mastermind Lex Luthor and his army of thugs, mechs, choppers and even more menacing enemies.

• SUPER SCORE
Beat score challenges on each level to earn bronze, silver and gold achievements. Bronze is a piece of cake, but do you have the power to claim gold?

• COMIC BOOK CLASSIC
Original story and comic book panels give you the authentic Superman experience.

At $0.99 on the iPhone and $2.99 on the iPad, the new iOS Superman game is currently cheaper than even eBay's least expensive Superman 64 cartridge. I'm not an economist, but if you've only got a few bucks to spend on a Superman game that probably won't make you want to curl into the fetal position and weep openly, there's a certain value here.

Check out video and stills from the new Superman iOS game below:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

iPad

iPhone

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Hes much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Hes Everyman operating on a scifi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Last edited by Lencho01; 11-21-2011 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #82
HaloBurn
Newbie First Class

Id have it start like the new52 action comics arc, superman is new and his powers are developing. Tie an arc loosely to the plot points of the new film, as soon as supes is suited up and can fly allow players to do the hanging in orbit selecting missions thing. Id also have the missions involve detective work as Clark the reporter can get into places and ask questions Superman cant.

HaloBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #83
Krumm
Beer Snob

That iOS game is pretty damn fun! I'd recommend it to everyone!

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #84
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

As an Android user, I'm a little sad.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #85
kal-el1990
Side-Kick

the iOS game is fantastic. On the iPad its even better! Funny that this is the only superman game where you can fly into space!

kal-el1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #86
sf2
Side-Kick

wish it will in the android market soon.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:15 PM   #87
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Here's a review....

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2011/11/18...s-game-review/

Quote:
'Superman' iOS Is The First Man Of Steel Game That Isn't Awful

Posted 11/18/11 5:12 pm ET by Matt Clark in DC Comics, Review, video games

"Superman," the new iOS game, is the best Superman videogame I have ever played. Now, normally, that might sound like a fairly grandiose statement, and you would be correct in that thinking, if it weren't for the fact that every other Superman game in history has sucked hard. Going all the way back to his first appearance on the Atari in 1979 the Man of Steel has found himself licensed into an endless stream of digital garbage.

Thanks to mobile publisher Chillingo and developer Tiger Games, this marks the very first occasion -- with the exception of ensemble games like "DC Universe Online" -- in my three decades of life that I didn't want to throw a Superman game into a black hole.

The iOS "Superman," which bears an all-caps description on iTunes dubbing it "THE OFFICIAL SUPERMAN GAME," sort of came out of nowhere. The game was mentioned quietly about a month ago, and frankly, when I see the name Superman next to a videogame, I'm inclined to mash down my teeth much like a captured agent with a secret cyanide pill.

Fortunately, this short mobile game really isn't half bad. The basic premise has Superman facing off against Lex Luthor, since someone in Metropolis thought it would be a great idea to let a bald psychopath launch a weather-controlling satellite into orbit above the city. As you may have guessed, Luthor is actually going to be a jerk, sending mechanical spiders, falling space debris, and a whole assortment of other chaotic items into the helpless city.

If "Batman: Arkham City" has taught us anything about superhero games, it's that we want to feel what it's like to be that caped crusader. After playing "Superman," I've come to the realization that being the Man of Steel is kind of terrible. There's no time to relax, because you're basically the only one who can protect the city, and your only thanks is Jimmy Olsen's voice cracking while he tells you some other horrible thing is happening. Crime annoyance aside, where this particular game excels where predecessors faltered is in allowing the player to do what Superman does best: stop crazy tragedies from befalling Metropolis.

I jumped on a moving car and beat the hell out of it until the wheels fell off; then I smacked the stupid out of its occupants. I straddled a missile and punched it to save the city. At one point, I had to grab a giant, bomb-filled cheeseburger and fly it into outer space, which I am now convinced should happen in every videogame, ever.

Now, I don't want to paint too rosy a picture, here. Compared to the horrid Superman games of the last thirty years, "Superman" is excellent. Judged purely on its own merits it's a halfway decent, dollar iOS game. Despite the cheeseburger fun, it suffers from the all-too-familiar on-screen joystick control problems that plague many touch-titles. As much as catching a falling meteor makes me feel like Superman, over-shooting it because the controls are finicky is aggravating. Add an occasional bug and semi-consistent crashing, the experience weakens.

In the end, "Superman" manages to succeed in the previously unattainable: making a Superman game fun. All eighteen levels bring in at least one new concept, and thankfully, none of them require you to fly through rings.

"Superman" is available now on iTunes App Store for $.99 (iPhone) and $2.99 (iPad).

"

Old 11-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #88
Krumm
Beer Snob

That review really sums it up.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:17 PM   #89
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Not exactly a Superman game, but Superman is also getting some love from LEGO on the video game side of things...

http://www.bricktuts.com/2011/11/leg...es-video-game/

"

Old 11-28-2011, 06:43 PM   #90
TheDragonator
Banned User

I still think that may not be real, considering it would pretty much differ far from Lego's normal style of games, which are usually based off films. Hell, if they wanted to do a Superman Lego game, they have his own films to base it off on. No need to spin it off of Batman, especially since it sidelines Batman in his own freaking game.

TheDragonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #91
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

They already made a Batman game that wasn't based on any particular passed film. And I think the Brave & the Bold toon (or any DCU toon) shows things can turn out just fine if it isn't all about Batman.

"

Old 12-12-2011, 02:18 PM   #92
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Yeah, making a good superman game is hard. The things that make Batman great: stealth, martial arts combat, gadgets - have been done well in video games many times, and all Arkham Asylum had to do was pull those things together and polish it till it shone, and add in detective work, which they didn't do incredibly well, but it works. They're still trying to tweak it so it's not abused, because no one knows what to aim for exactly to make it both useful and fun.

The things that make Superman great: being crazy powerful and ultra inspirational... they haven't been done in games as much, much less at the same time. Most crazy powerful set piece things are handled by Quick Time Events in Kratos' games or elsewhere. Maybe borrow Hulk's destructible environments, but knocking bricks off buildings doesn't quite 'do it' when Superman knocks Metallo into a wall. Even flying is hit or miss, and Batman Arkham City of all things is one of the first games to make it fun, but even then the controls are obstructive.

And how do you show a character as being inspirational? Being a hero? For all the superhero games, very few have actually involved saving people. Spider-Man 2 did some of this, in a limited fashion, I supposed, but it wasn't always very fun, as carrying things, even people in need of saving, to be challenging, usually limits your character's actions in some way, and logically it should. Even with that, how do you drive home the fact that this character is inspiring? Someone to look up to in a video game full of NPCs?

So not only are the pieces a bit sketchy, but no one's put that all together. It's doable, but it's a long hill to climb, my friends, and there's not many who are going to sign up to climb it.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #93
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Can't find the link but DC Montreal said due to the success of the Arkham games they're not really going to go for movie tie ins, but games that promote the characters themselves.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #94
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Yeah, google WB Montreal and that same interview comes up a dozen times. I don't think they're working on a Superman game first though.

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...-comics-games/

Quote:
Following the runaway success of Batman: Arkham Asylum and its sequel Arkham City, don’t look for Warner Bros. Interactive to return to movie tie-ins anytime soon.

Instead, the new Warner Bros. Games Montreal has been given a mandate: to just make good video games. Specifically, good games based on DC Comics properties. “It’s really about make the game what it needs to be and forget the movies,” Reid Schneider, the studio’s head of production, told Canadian Business.

“If you look over the past decade of superhero games, there were two. The first one was when Neversoft made Spider-Man — I think it was back on the PS1. People were like, ‘Wow, this is really good,’ and then a couple of things came out that were okay,” he said. “Then Rocksteady came out with Arkham Asylum and that again changed the expectations. If you look at the similarities between the two, they weren’t based on movies per se. They were just taking that really rich fiction from the comic books and exploring the characters. It’s not about hitting the movie date or some arbitrary date — it was giving the game the time it needs to be successful and really just concentrating on the quality of it.”

To that end, the Montreal studio is collaborating with DC Comics to develop several video games — there’s one set for release next year, in fact — but the details, and even the names, remain a secret.

“We’re definitely working closely with DC on different titles, yet to be announced,” said studio head Martin Carrier. “It’s one of the reasons we talk to Geoff Johns and Jim Lee on a regular basis. It’s interesting for our geeky side to be in touch with those guys, especially now that they’ve relaunched all the 52. It’s a good time to be working with DC. There’s so much energy going on there.”

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...ing-next-year/

Quote:
In a Los Angeles Times profile pegged to today’s launch of Batman: Arkham City, Warner Bros. Interactive President Martin Tremblay drops an enticing crumb: In addition to a new Lord of the Rings video game and a sequel to LEGO Batman, next year the studio will release an adaptation of a DC Comics superhero he wouldn’t name.

That Warner Bros. is looking to develop more DC properties for its rapidly expanding games division is no secret — a new studio in Montreal is being set up specifically for that task. But what could this mysterious title be?

Kotaku notes that while a Superman game may be the obvious guess, given the release of Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel in June 2013, it hardly requires a veil of secrecy. After all, movie tie-ins are par for the course.

If not Superman, then might it be Suicide Squad, mentioned by DC Entertainment Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns at Comic-Con International 2010? That’s certainly a possibility, although Johns told CBR at the time that “It’s going to take years to make.” So 2012, even late 2012, is probably too quick of a turnaround.

So if it isn’t Superman or Suicide Squad, then what? DC’s library is vast, making it difficult to narrow down the choices. Young Justice is on Cartoon Network, with Green Lantern debuting next month, and a new Batman animated series arriving in 2013. Live-action Deadman and Spectre projects are also in development at The CW and Fox, but they don’t seem well-suited for video games.

Kotaku’s Luke Plunkett is pretending it’s Aquaman — “It’ll be like BioShock. With beards.” — which seems as good of a guess at any at this point.

DrCosmic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #95
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

The Lego game is now officially announced...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...d-summer-2012/

Quote:
Jan 5th 2012 By: Caleb Goellner

'Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes' Confirmed for Summer Release

After more than a month of speculation, Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes has been confirmed for a multi-console release this summer from Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, TT Games and The Lego Group. The game's release follows the trickle of new Lego Super Heroes: DC Universe sets that have started popping up online and at retail. Gameplay will expand on the first Lego Batman game, with playable versions of Superman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern (and more unannounced characters) joining the battle against Lex Luthor and the Joker in Gotham City.

Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes will roll out on essentially every current-gen console, including the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo 3DS and PC. Given the past release of an iOS Lego Batman: Gotham City Games tie-in game, it might be safe to expect some kind of mobile game later on, too.

From the official Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes press release:
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes allows players to explore all new areas of Gotham City utilizing a variety of vehicles including the Batmobile and Batwing. In addition, they'll be able to fight for justice by mastering new gadgets and suits, such as Batman's Power Suit and Robins' Hazard Cannon, and using all-new abilities including flight, super-breath and heat vision.
Check out the full promo image for Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes below:

"

Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #96
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Concept art for the cancelled Superman game...

http://www.justpushstart.com/2012/01...all-star-cast/

Quote:
Canceled Superman Game Had An All Star Cast

Posted by Allan Muir on January - 7 - 2012 0 Comment

Earlier this week a sequel to Lego Batman was announced and it features more of the DC Universe than before. Featured in the upcoming game is Superman. Aside from DC Universe Online, Superman hasn’t appeared in a video game since Superman Returns in 2006. Before Factor 5 shut it’s doors it was working on a Superman game that looked very promising. People hoped that it would break the cycle of bad Superman games that still goes to this day.
Going by the codename “Blue Steel” the game was going to feature a who’s who of Superman villains that have and haven’t been seen in the Video Game medium. Daveed Kaplan, who worked on the game in ’08 has released some of the concept art for the canceled game that makes us all scream a nerd cry.

Superman
Power Suit version of Lex Luthor
Kalibak, son of Darkseid
Darkseid
General Zod

"

Old 01-10-2012, 03:53 PM   #97
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Bigger pics...

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/0...e-concept-art/

Quote:
Jan 10th 2012 By: Chris Sims
Concept Art From Factor 5's Canceled 'Superman' Game Features Darkseid, General Zod and More

Despite being one of the greatest super-heroes ever created, Superman hasn't exactly had a lot of luck with video games. His most famous outing in the field, Superman 64, is commonly regarded as the single worst game of the N64 era, and considering a few of the other titles that got the Nintendo Seal of Quality, that's saying something.

But perhaps his worst bit of luck came when a game developed by Factor 5 (the studio behind the critically acclaimed Rogue Squadron) was canceled when their publisher shut down in 2009. While we may never know if the game itself would be good, the art from lead character artist Daveed Kaplan -- uncovered over at MTV Geek by Charles Webb -- shows that if nothing else, it probably would've looked cool. Check out the designs for the Man of Steel and some of his greatest villains after the jump!

First up, of course, was Superman himself:

Superman's sporting his classic costume -- trunks and all! -- with the only major difference to his usual look being the shield, which is is styled more along the lines of the Superman Returns movie than the one featured in the comics of the time. That's not really a surprise, considering that the game was in development only two years after Returns hit theaters.

It's also worth noting that while Superman's pose in this picture is the standard position for doing turnarounds and showing off the costume, I really, really wish that it was how he'd look while flying in the game. Seriously, developers: You make a game where Superman just awkwardly hovers in the sky like Criss Angel, and I'll buy two.

Also pretending to be an airplane is Superman's old foe Darkseid:

Much like Jim Lee would later do with his post-New 52 redesign of Jack Kirby's classic villain, Kaplan ditched Darkseid's fashionable and intimidating skirt in favor of what appears to be a pair of ribbed sweatpants. Darkseid's also given a more armored look, and while it almost makes it look like he's cosplaying as 50 Cent from Blood on the Sand, I don't really dislike it.

That said, I vastly prefer his version of Kalibak:

While he's not quite as hulking as Kirby's Kalibak, I really like what Kaplan did with this one. Much like Arkham Asylum redesigned Batman's villains in order to emphasize their grittier aspects, the goal with these seems to be to amp up the sci-fi elements of Superman, which is a pretty neat way to go about it.

Especially if it's going to involve a bunch of aliens like Darkseid, Kalibak, and The Phantom Zone Criminals, General Zod and Non:

Because really, where would we be without a reference to Superman II in every possible media outlet? Unlike the more complex Fourth World costumes of Darkseid and Kalibak, the Kryptonians -- at least in these early versions -- seem to have more simplified designs that reflect how they looked in the movies. Kaplan's clearly gone straight to Terence Stamp for Zod's face, and it works pretty well.

Lex Luthor, however, has all kinds of stuff going on:

It'd be interesting to see if Lex's armor was blue because of a plot point in the game, or if it was just the color Kaplan was working with before touching it up with the character's usual green and purple look. Considering that the game was called "Blue Steel," I'm guessing it's the former. Well, either that or the surprise twist that Superman had to battle against Derek Zoolander's signature look.

"

Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #98
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Aww ffs, why doesn't some other publisher pick this up?

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #99
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Because the world is not that kind.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #100
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
Concept art for the cancelled Superman game...

http://www.justpushstart.com/2012/01...all-star-cast/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lencho01 View Post
That game looks like it could have been awesome!

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote