The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 01-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #101
Krumm
Beer Snob

Default Re: The Video Game Thread

I don't know about anyone else, but I find that Superman looks rather stupid.

Krumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:42 AM   #102
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krumm View Post
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that Superman looks rather stupid.
I agree.. it's sortof like the movie Big but with Brandon Routh's Superman using the fortune telling machine then going to bed as the small, thin dainty guy he is then waking up as an oversized Alex Ross reject.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #103
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

The reason why every Superman game fails is because Supes and his world are too big, and every developer and console is too small.

Making a good Superman game cannot be done, until they make a console that can make its own "big bang"

When the first images of Returns was released, it looked amazing. Then the final product, no promises were kept.

Making Metropolis that huge in the game SERIOUSLY affected its quality. But you cant expect a Metropolis that's the size of GTA IV's Liberty City, just to make it look good.

And the decision to pull the missions from Returns, where Supes stops bank robbers and stuff, was because it wasn't challenging enough for his powers. So instead we got dorky robots and dragons popping up every 2 minutes.

Returns was trying to be like the Spider-Man 2 VG, but blew up in their faces.

So, for me, I hope they NEVER make another free roaming game. It failed back then, and it'll fail now. Cause the whole concept of Supes being too powerful in a big city just doesn't work.

Superman being in a game where he gets to free roam around levels on different planets would be cool. But saving Metropolis doesn't work anymore.

I believe in Batfleck

Things I have been right about before they were confirmed -
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
1. Superman having no trunks
2. Bruce Wayne retiring and Batman being made a martyr
3. Bryan Cranston NOT being Lex Luthor
4. Joker being the big bad in Batman: Arkham Origins
5. Green Goblin not wearing a mask and being mutated
Rodrigo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:11 AM   #104
TheBat812
Side-Kick

Just make him Fleischer level of powers and that fix the whole "he's too powerful" excuse.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:58 AM   #105
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

I thought it was fun flying around helping people though....it just became repetitive and corny with the dragons and stuff lol, I wondered where they come from. I agree though, free roam does take away from the effects.....I just hope they incoporate some Clark stages as well as Superman

Old 01-13-2012, 04:21 AM   #106
LibidoLoca
Sensually Delicious

Where did Superman = Dragons come from?

LibidoLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:35 AM   #107
B
[insert witty comment]

Thank **** that Factor Five Superman game was cancelled.. that Superman model looks absolutely horrific. He looks like a zombie for crying out loud.

I hope they go the AA/AC route with the next Superman game, make something completely unrelated to the movie franchise rather than trying to make a quick buck off the back of the movie by tossing out some generic ******** like that Superman Returns game.

B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:03 AM   #108
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

From what I could tell, the things Superman could pick up in the game were pretty small. I imagine dealing with anything larger would be hard in a video game. And the way it was all animated and everything made it seem so unceremonious. Picking up a truck and tossing it at Metallo looked like Mario picking up a Bob-Omb and tossing it at Bowser, nothing particularly super about it.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #109
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

It is difficult to imagine Superman in a game where it's too small that you can't even swing a dead cat

The problem with Returns was that everything, the city, Superman, etc, were far too big. But could we as Superman fans and gamers expect anything less? Back then, perhaps trying to make it the next Spider-Man 2, we wanted it that big...but after being disappointed and playing AA, we no longer care about that.

The new Spider-Man games, while they were good, did finally make us realise after much complaining in the past, that we loved and missed the free roaming around NY.

It is the natural thought, that when we think of a Superman game, we think of him flying around saving Metropolis. But as I said, it doesn't work, and Returns' developers proved that. They did EVERYTHING that we hoped for in a Superman game, and it was executed poorly. But more upsetting is the fact, that they had the right idea about everything...The all powerful Superman battling all powerful villains while saving his city. It had everything, but in the end, it wasn't enough. It didn't go anywhere.

Toning down his powers would be a kind of a blowout for fans, but if handled well, it could be a an essential way to making a better game for all.

But can we accept a smaller game in general, for a better gaming experience? After the biggest of all, Returns, was the biggest disappointment, I say HELL YEAH!!!

I believe in Batfleck

Old 01-13-2012, 02:20 PM   #110
B
[insert witty comment]

The general idea of a free roam Superman is definatly possible, however in regards to the Superman Returns game it was executed horrifically by EA.

The main story made little sense & it very vaguely tied into the movies plot, but didn't actually follow it.. the story was a complete pisstake & a disgrace to the video game industry nevermind Superman's name.

The side missions got repetitive & old, really, really quickly & they didn't even lead to further mini-stories worth mentioning.

Then there is the actual gameplay & visuals, the game still looked like it was/should have been in alpha/beta stage.. it was very buggy & the visuals themself were probably the least impressive I've seen on the PS3/Xbox to date.

It tells you how little they cared about the title... or how little time they gave the developers to come up with something when you see how Superman's cape looks graphically. It might seem like something fairly small, but it something you are gonna see alot & rather than looking like cloth it looks like a piece of cardboard.. you know everything else is gonna be grim.

They need to get a delveloper on board that actually cares about the Superman name & wants to make a good game rather than some quick buck ****e.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #111
XEdge
Straight Edge and Proud

the only thing I really enjoyed about the Returns game was just flying around.

that was it, though........lol

XEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #112
manofsteel4life
Side-Kick

Yea me to....I think I made the game better for myself by flying around actually lol

Old 01-13-2012, 04:56 PM   #113
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

The only way they can at least make a decent free roam Superman game is with the next generation consoles.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #114
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

I disagre. Superman Returns was developed in around a year half a decade ago. Look at modern free roam games, inFamous 1&2, GTA IV, Saint's Row 2&III, [PROTOTYPE], Batman: Arkham City.

All it takes is to approach the game correctly, don't tie it to a film so it's underdeveloped. Give it a least a couple of years.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #115
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I disagre. Superman Returns was developed in around a year half a decade ago. Look at modern free roam games, inFamous 1&2, GTA IV, Saint's Row 2&III, [PROTOTYPE], Batman: Arkham City.

All it takes is to approach the game correctly, don't tie it to a film so it's underdeveloped. Give it a least a couple of years.
But can we can accept a Metropolis that's just the size of Arkham City or Liberty City?

Rockstar said the only way we would see another San Andreas is on PS4, or perhaps even PS5!

Metropolis being that big in Returns is what caused game issues, effecting other aspects of it. In saying that, for a better game, could we handle a smaller city? Because that would have to happen.

I believe in Batfleck

Old 01-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #116
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Thank **** that Factor Five Superman game was cancelled.. that Superman model looks absolutely horrific. He looks like a zombie for crying out loud.
Yeah, that's definitely not the finished product. I think most of us saw the model in action, ramming Doomsday through a building and then blowing up a gas truck with his heat vision to further stun the thing... it really was a loss, and ahead of its time as far as epic action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
It is the natural thought, that when we think of a Superman game, we think of him flying around saving Metropolis. But as I said, it doesn't work, and Returns' developers proved that. They did EVERYTHING that we hoped for in a Superman game, and it was executed poorly. But more upsetting is the fact, that they had the right idea about everything...The all powerful Superman battling all powerful villains while saving his city. It had everything, but in the end, it wasn't enough. It didn't go anywhere.

Toning down his powers would be a kind of a blowout for fans, but if handled well, it could be a an essential way to making a better game for all.

But can we accept a smaller game in general, for a better gaming experience? After the biggest of all, Returns, was the biggest disappointment, I say HELL YEAH!!!
Superman Returns was certainly not the biggest dissappoinmnt in Superman games, though that is a sad statement. Overall, I see what you're saying, that you can't give Superman a GTA IV-size experience unless you're Rock-something. But at the same time, a weaker Superman is just... a less cool Spider-Man. The selling point is the power, and that has to come into play if you're going to be Superman. There has to be some kind of building-crushing, tanker-tossing jaw dropping spectacle, or... why bother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo90 View Post
The only way they can at least make a decent free roam Superman game is with the next generation consoles.
Assuming the city is supposed to be chocked full of action and platforming challenges and etc, yeah, it would takes some advances, not necessarily better hardware, but a few more years of maximizing this hardware.

But if you get away from that game design and go something more indie, like Shadow of the Colossus, or Journey, where the size is scenery, meant for use of your travel abilities, not your fighting/platforming abilities, and just part of the story as opposed to gameplay in itself, there's plenty room for a San Andreas-sized area with our current tech level.

And honestly, how can Superman honestly have any platforming challenges?

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #117
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Yeah, that's definitely not the finished product. I think most of us saw the model in action, ramming Doomsday through a building and then blowing up a gas truck with his heat vision to further stun the thing... it really was a loss, and ahead of its time as far as epic action.
The visuals from the mini-preview of the game looked quite solid.. especally considering it was an unfinished game. However even in that I didn't like the model of Superman itself from a design point of view. The action looked decent though.

Quote:
Superman Returns was certainly not the biggest dissappoinmnt in Superman games, though that is a sad statement.
Personally I've played alot of bad Superman games & that Superman Returns one ranks about the worst. The best one I've played wasn't even technically a Superman game, it was the Justice League game on the PS2.. the Superman (& indeed all the characters) felt unique & fun to use.. but that being said the game still wasn't outstanding.. even at the time it was released.

Quote:
Overall, I see what you're saying, that you can't give Superman a GTA IV-size experience unless you're Rock-something. But at the same time, a weaker Superman is just... a less cool Spider-Man. The selling point is the power, and that has to come into play if you're going to be Superman. There has to be some kind of building-crushing, tanker-tossing jaw dropping spectacle, or... why bother?

Assuming the city is supposed to be chocked full of action and platforming challenges and etc, yeah, it would takes some advances, not necessarily better hardware, but a few more years of maximizing this hardware.

But if you get away from that game design and go something more indie, like Shadow of the Colossus, or Journey, where the size is scenery, meant for use of your travel abilities, not your fighting/platforming abilities, and just part of the story as opposed to gameplay in itself, there's plenty room for a San Andreas-sized area with our current tech level.

And honestly, how can Superman honestly have any platforming challenges?
If your gonna give Superman an open GTA style world, there really needs to be more to do in the City itself. Be it planes losing engines & heading towards the Daily Planet, giant meteors pelting Metropolis & various other natural disasters randomly occuring. As well as the other standard villian kinda work like Bank Robbers, Car chases, invasions etc etc.

On the other hand I'd like to do alot of playing time as Clark Kent.. similar to AA or AC in which you'd be investigating things with Lois, perhaps even having to perform Superman like tasks without her or people around her realising it.

Really if DC picked a decent developer & allowed them time to toss around some ideas a Superman game could be epically good. So many possibilities with the character & his universe.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:21 PM   #118
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
The visuals from the mini-preview of the game looked quite solid.. especally considering it was an unfinished game. However even in that I didn't like the model of Superman itself from a design point of view. The action looked decent though.

Personally I've played alot of bad Superman games & that Superman Returns one ranks about the worst. The best one I've played wasn't even technically a Superman game, it was the Justice League game on the PS2.. the Superman (& indeed all the characters) felt unique & fun to use.. but that being said the game still wasn't outstanding.. even at the time it was released.
Well, I'll take Superman Returns over all of them except for the Death and Return side scroller. That was actual fun. The rest... oy.

Quote:
If your gonna give Superman an open GTA style world, there really needs to be more to do in the City itself. Be it planes losing engines & heading towards the Daily Planet, giant meteors pelting Metropolis & various other natural disasters randomly occuring. As well as the other standard villian kinda work like Bank Robbers, Car chases, invasions etc etc.

On the other hand I'd like to do alot of playing time as Clark Kent.. similar to AA or AC in which you'd be investigating things with Lois, perhaps even having to perform Superman like tasks without her or people around her realising it.

Really if DC picked a decent developer & allowed them time to toss around some ideas a Superman game could be epically good. So many possibilities with the character & his universe.
I think the idea is that what you're asking can't be done. GTA can barely do GTA, try to add in a bevy of abilities and variety of enemies and environmental catastrophes - and then multiple playstyles on top of that - and even the best developers say "no can do" - decent developers need not apply.

A "smaller" game that doesn't take into account everything about Superman, but only the highlights, the things that make him unique and superior, stands a much better chance of being Arkham-quality if taken up by a high level developer. I mean, that's what they did with Batman, you don't see Bruce Wayne minigame missions or the Batmobile minigame missions or Batman concocting people's weaknesses to use against them. You get the basics: ninja detective with gadgets. They added a *bit* more with Arkham City, but for characters this big "all the possibilities" is what prevents a good game from being made in the first place.

And honestly... how are thugs a challenge to Superman in a video game? Can you imagine how frustrating it would be for Superman to have to use multiple hits to take down a common thug? Or having Thugs dodge his heat vision? I could barely handle Spider-Man having trouble with ordinary thugs, Superman having any challenge would drive me nuts. I think Kratos has more trouble with power up boxes than Superman should have with thugs...

In fact, that's it. Thugs and Car chases are so easily solved by Superman they should basically be animated power up boxes. Also helps accentuate the saving people aspect of Superman.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #119
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Personally i don't think it needs to be a Free roam game.

I think for such a big character like Superman you need to get away from that and make it more like Metal Gear Solid.

Check out my Deviant Art file
http://alienanal.deviantart.com/
Alien Anal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #120
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

^Elaborate on what you mean. Cuz I don't think Superman sneaking around and hiding sounds like too much fun.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #121
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

How about a game where Superman flies through rings?

Right, lets look at the problems Superman games have.

1) Metropolis is made so big, it looks crap.
2) Superman is way too powerful, so it doesn't give the player a challenge.
3) When he's given health, it's criticized. When he doesn't, it's criticized for giving the player no challenge.
4) He's so powerful, that his enemies are unique for him...Which doesn't go down to well with players.
5) Every game becomes repetitive very quickly.

There's tons more. But it's easy to understand why Superman games haven't been all that great...Nobody knows what the hell to do with him!

I believe in Batfleck

Old 01-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #122
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Hmm its quite difficult to explain how i see it in my head.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #123
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

How about a game where Superman flies through rings?

Right, lets look at the problems Superman games have.

1) Metropolis is made so big, it looks crap.
2) Superman is way too powerful, so it doesn't give the player a challenge.
3) When he's given health, it's criticized. When he doesn't, it's criticized for giving the player no challenge.
4) He's so powerful, that his enemies are unique for him...Which doesn't go down to well with players.
5) Every game becomes repetitive very quickly.

There's tons more. But it's easy to understand why Superman games haven't been all that great...Nobody knows what the hell to do with him!

I believe in Batfleck

Old 01-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #124
Alien Anal
Side-Kick

Maybe like a more interactive Heavy Rain style game. So when it comes to the powers and flying they would only be used during a "level" that needs them.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #125
Rodrigo90
Symbol of Fear

I don't know about that. Might be a bit boring.

I believe in Batfleck