The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > Batman World

Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Hordakfan
Side-Kick

Default Did anyone se Batman Returns in theaters?

I did when i was 11 as it was my most anticipated movie of 92 and i saw it 4 times, i even had merchandise like t-shirts, cards, comic adaptation, board game, SNES game, magazine, action figures and Mcdonalds cups. I ate the cereal and i watched the animated series religiously on Fox.

I thought it was one of the better movie going experiences of my childhood.

Hordakfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Fudgie
Banned User

Default Re: Anyone saw Batman Returns in theaters?

I did. I didn't like it. It didn't feel like a Batman movie. I thought Penguin was too gross.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
Thebumwhowalks
Banned User

I was confused when I walked out of Batman in 89...but I was totally buzzing when I came out of Batman Returns...I felt I had saw some things onscreen that I wanted from a Batman movie finally...

- a villan who not only acted like their comicbook counterpart, but looked just like they had stepped from the page(Catwoman)

...seeing Batman up on the rooftops fighting a super-villan(CW)

.... Batman fighting a random attack by a colourful gang of crooks (the Circus gang, esp the 1st set-piece, as on that first showing I did not know they were Penguin's gang, I thought they were just a random Gotham gang, it felt like a crazy mutant type gang from Miller's TDKR)

and extended action set pieces with Batman that involved super-villans in the action...

Now, you might think I was just there for the action, but no, of course I did enjoy the story, esp MP's Catwoman origin and characterisation....it was just that I had been waiting on a serious live action BM movie my whole life, and this one came closer than Batman 89 to delivering what I wanted to see onscreen Batman wise.

Thebumwhowalks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
I did. I didn't like it. It didn't feel like a Batman movie. I thought Penguin was too gross.
Yeah. They're Batman villains. They're all gross, even Heath Ledger's Joker was gross. Depends on how you define it. I'm starting to think you don't like Batman at all.

Anyway, I saw Batman Returns twice. I was about to turn 14 that year. Twas good times. I think I bought any and everything that was Batman that my mum let me get my hands on.

Ponyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

I was 12 and i remember going only once. I enjoyed it a ton.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 PM   #6
DaRkVeNgeanCe
Godzilla is coming!!!

I saw it opening night with my dad, I remember thinking how much darker the beginning seemed to me, to be honest I was a tad bit frightened.

SUMMER MOVIES - Captain America TWS 8/10 I The Amazing Spider-Man 2 7.5/10 I Godzilla 9/10 I X-Men: DOFP 9.5/10 I Maleficent 4/10 I Edge of Tomorrow 8.5/10 I 22 Jump Street 9/10 I Transformers 4 3/10
DaRkVeNgeanCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:56 PM   #7
Fudgie
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy View Post
Yeah. They're Batman villains. They're all gross, even Heath Ledger's Joker was gross. Depends on how you define it. I'm starting to think you don't like Batman at all.
I love Batman. My favorite hero. The villains so far in these movies haven't been biting off noses and eating raw fish like a pig and always drooling black saliva down their chin like Penguin was. He was gross.

Fudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudgie View Post
I love Batman. My favorite hero. The villains so far in these movies haven't been biting off noses and eating raw fish like a pig and always drooling black saliva down their chin like Penguin was. He was gross.
Some might call that an interesting take on a typically boring villain.

Ledger's Joker was gross too... his body language, the way he used his mouth. A different kind of gross, but gross nevertheless.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:25 AM   #9
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

I saw it in 1992. I was 12. It was my first exposure to Batman.

Quote:
Ledger's Joker was gross too... his body language, the way he used his mouth. A different kind of gross, but gross nevertheless.
There was nothing "gross" about his body language or the way he used his mouth. That's the first time I've ever seen anyone label it like that.

DeVito's Penguin was disgusting, and he was supposed to be disgusting. It was intentional. He's a freak that lives in the sewers. He was meant to be grotesque. That disgusting freaky nature of the character is probably one of the things that had the soccer moms up in arms in the backlash the movie got.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #10
Cain
"...I prefer 'Doc'"

Yeah opening weekend; I was 8 yrs old too yet was never freaked out by the movie in anyway like the reaction from soccer moms would have you assume. Matter of fact it just left me really hyped for a 3rd one as I wondered if Batman and Catwoman will ever cross paths again. Too bad it never happened

Pull list: Saga, The Manhattan Projects, Thief of Thieves, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Future's End, Action Comics, Detective Comics, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, Justice League, Justice League 3000, Justice League United, Earth 2, Earth 2: World's End, Worlds' Finest, Batman '66, Batgirl, Gotham Academy, Multiversity, X-O Manowar, Unity, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, Daredevil, All-New X-Men
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:52 AM   #11
Mister Meddle
The Barber of Seville

I watched it shortly after it was released on VHS. I was only 4 and it didn't scare me at all.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 AM   #12
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
There was nothing "gross" about his body language or the way he used his mouth. That's the first time I've ever seen anyone label it like that.
Well, he was semi-repulsive to look at. Especially up close. Look at Rachel's reaction to him when he forced her to look at him.

Penguin though? Sure, he was grotesque on another level.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

I'm too lazy to scan it in but Batman #257 shows the Penguin eating raw fish. You know, just for the people who say he never did such a thing in the comics...

AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:21 AM   #14
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Well, he was semi-repulsive to look at.
So was Two Face. But I wouldn't call him a "gross" villain either.

Quote:
Look at Rachel's reaction to him when he forced her to look at him.
That was fear. "You look nervous. Is it the scars?".

Quote:
Penguin though? Sure, he was grotesque on another level.
Yes, he was made grotesque in appearance, his eating habits, and his mannerisms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
I'm too lazy to scan it in but Batman #257 shows the Penguin eating raw fish. You know, just for the people who say he never did such a thing in the comics...
Doesn't he eat it with a knife and fork with a plate, sitting at an elegant table, wearing a napkin and everything in that one?

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #15
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Doesn't he eat it with a knife and fork with a plate, sitting at an elegant table, wearing a napkin and everything in that one?
Yes he does.

AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

i was 7 years old when my parents took me to go see Batman Returns. i remember it was a Sunday afternoon and the theater we went to no longer exists. in fact, it's now a Pat & Oscar's.

GREEN =w= DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I did.
First film I ever viewed.
Theater's gone though. :-(
Replaced by an apartment building.

jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
So was Two Face. But I wouldn't call him a "gross" villain either.

That was fear. "You look nervous. Is it the scars?".

Yes, he was made grotesque in appearance, his eating habits, and his mannerisms.
My point to Fudgie was that Joker, Two-Face, Penguin, etc... they're all gross on SOME level. If he found Penguin was too gross, it stands to reason that the other villains (and their portrayals) might be equally gross on another level. Some people mind find Penguin from Batman Returns completely comical, and not gross in any way. Depends on what and how gross defines itself to you.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I saw it in theaters when I was 4, and only found it a little bit creepy.

Which means all of you ****s who were perturbed by have the constitution of a 4 year old.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #20
Ponyboy
I'm the real Peterman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
I saw it in theaters when I was 4, and only found it a little bit creepy.

Which means all of you ****s who were perturbed by have the constitution of a 4 year old.

I don't recall being freaked out by any of it (though I was about 10 years older than you at that time)... It's only as I've gotten older than I picked up on the darker themes, and a lot of the sexual innuendo.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #21
GothamAlleys
Side-Kick

To this day I dont know how it happened especially since I was a massive batman fan by that point since early 89, reading religiously and waiting for every single Batman issue, but I had no clue a sequel came out until it appeared on VHS late the same year. Dont ask me how, I just didnt know. havent seen any ads, havent heard anything about it (I was born and grew up in Europe btw)

The hype and promotion for 89 movie was massive, but BR I never heard about until my dad made a surprise for me and brought it to me on VHS in the winter of '92 the day it got released . As a side note, imagine my shock and happiness at the same time. I think thats even better than anticipating the movie. Its like "hey, B89 is one of your 2 favorite movies? I got something for you. Here, theres a sequel and you can watch it now, its in your hands"

Old 01-19-2012, 07:19 PM   #22
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

I wasn't really scared of any one thing, I just distinctly remember coming out of the theater and thinking "I'm not sure if I should be scared of that or not."

Certainly didn't stop me from watching it a few hundred times on VHS.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
OutRiddled
Banned User

I was 10 years old and I don't remember being freaked out or scared by it. I don't remember too much about the actual experience. I didn't become a Batman fan until Batman Forever, though.

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #24
SHADOWBAT69
outlaw

I only saw it twice in theatres, as opposed to the 17 times for 89. I was in college at the time and a friend and me skipped our classes on opening day to go see it. It was the first movie to be played in the theatres new THX room. I remember we got there about a hour and a half before it opened figuring we would get our tickets and grab some lunch first. When we bought the tickets the girl told us we better get in there and rab our seats now. It was packed. Almost couldnt find 2 seats together.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #25
SimbaRises
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOWBAT69 View Post
I was in college at the time and a friend and me skipped our classes on opening day to go see it.
Dang, you had classes in mid June?

I saw it in theatres as a soon to be 7 year old.

Didn't grab my imagination like Batman '89, and I'm pretty sure my father as well didn't enjoy the material near as much as the first one, either.

SimbaRises is offline   Reply With Quote