The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #76
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

Default Re: Mandarin discussion thread

As an Iron Fan, I should probably be more concerned with our hero's villian, but since Loki, no other villian is worth my attention.
Kidding. Of course I care. This is Tony we're talking about.
I'm good with the Mandarin for the trilogy's last villian and I think the above speculation could work. But make him Ghost instead of the real deal? I think the Mandarin is too important to be fused with another character who's not so well known as other Marvel villains we could name.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #77
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Having read up on the Ghost he doesnt seem like that interesting of a character to me. I have read IM comics but never one with him in, Mandarin is a much more interesting villain on the page, but we'll see how The Ghost translates to the big screen.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16)Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-26-2012, 11:26 PM   #78
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

I don't see him in part 3.. People "demanded" Venom in spider-man 3 and, well, look what happened..

So whenever it happens, let it be organic..

storywise, tensions with china can be used as topical subject manner.. perhaps a rogue scientist, stifled by the state, a fetishist for the ancient, pre-communist dynasties, decides to act on his own..

as far as the rings.. who knows.. maybe they don't have to be literal finger rings, but circular batteries that power his armor for different effects, different types of blasts and ray beams that can be very offensive and effective against iron man's armor.. depending on whether they want to go with an "alien" angle, they can include the comics history of them being alien power batteries, or they can be human created..

Old 01-27-2012, 09:36 AM   #79
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Hypestyle, that doesn't sound organic at all. That sounds pretty convoluted.
AVEITWITHJAMON, Whiplash isn't a very interesting character on the page, but because his power and motivation is simple, he translates to the screen well.
IronGirl299, I think Mandarin's too important to make a good movie with, he's got a lot going on that would distract from a story, from his alien tech, to his chinese idology to his archaeology obsession... there's not a good way to tie that all together in a story other than: chinese people suck - which is what he was originally design to show...

Old 01-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #80
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

If Black doesn't do it like I said, he should be a part of an Avengers sequel. Basically every character's arch nemesis should play a role in the franchise. If we don't get a new separate Hulk flick, put Samuel Sterns in there.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #81
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
IronGirl299, I think Mandarin's too important to make a good movie with, he's got a lot going on that would distract from a story, from his alien tech, to his chinese idology to his archaeology obsession... there's not a good way to tie that all together in a story other than: chinese people suck - which is what he was originally design to show...
I thought they could tone down the Mandarin a little (impossible, I know.) But I guess them having a Chinese villain is a little...iffy...plus we all know what Mandy is capable of....
Still I think that if his character was done well and not so over the top with alien stuff, then he could work for the screen.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #82
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I think regardless of Black's views on the Manderin or even if there was another director doing IM3, Mandarin would still have to be adapted in some fashion to fit the story. Like a lot of Marvel properties he has decades worth of backstory, so it would have to be tailored to today's standards of story telling. Any version of Mandarin we would see on the big screen would (or should) be a version that stands up to those standards.

Though saying that I think any hope for seeing Mandarin in IM3 is pretty low at this point.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:01 AM   #83
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

They said they planned it even before the first came out and apparently 'everything has been leading up to this.' plus the dude who gives Vanko his fake passport in IM2 is called a 'Ten Rings Gangster' and I think we all noticed the Ten Rings banner behind Tony in the first one, at some point.
So yeah, he's coming.
The question is...how? O_O

Old 01-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #84
Sebastos
Bebop User

Maybe if not the third then the fourth?

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill

Currently Listening To:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Old 01-28-2012, 06:50 PM   #85
IronGirl299
Don't let it control you

...the fourth. Yeah I don't think so. Because that would be overkill and I know Tony loooooves taking things to extremes but a fourth movie would personally NOT work for me.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #86
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronGirl299 View Post
They said they planned it even before the first came out and apparently 'everything has been leading up to this.' plus the dude who gives Vanko his fake passport in IM2 is called a 'Ten Rings Gangster' and I think we all noticed the Ten Rings banner behind Tony in the first one, at some point.
So yeah, he's coming.
The question is...how? O_O
There was never any guarantee. Those were cameos that a lot of people wouldn't get and didn't really build up anything in terms of setting up Mandarin for the audience. He certainly wasn't a guarantee for a sequel, even before Favreau left and Black came on board.

Plus Black dismissively called the character a racist characterture when specifically asked about Mandarin being in the film. Whilst it's not an out and out no, it's still reasonable to assume he's probably not going to use him if he doesn't have to.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #87
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
I don't see him in part 3.. People "demanded" Venom in spider-man 3 and, well, look what happened..

So whenever it happens, let it be organic..

storywise, tensions with china can be used as topical subject manner.. perhaps a rogue scientist, stifled by the state, a fetishist for the ancient, pre-communist dynasties, decides to act on his own..

as far as the rings.. who knows.. maybe they don't have to be literal finger rings, but circular batteries that power his armor for different effects, different types of blasts and ray beams that can be very offensive and effective against iron man's armor.. depending on whether they want to go with an "alien" angle, they can include the comics history of them being alien power batteries, or they can be human created..
i dont see a reason why they wouldnt go with alien angle on the rings. with avengers they established aliens and with cosmic cube they introduced alien tech. so they could to the same with the rings.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #88
Keyser Soze
AW YEEEAH!

It sucks that The Mandarin probably won't be in Iron Man 3. But if history has taught us anything, it's that it's better not to have a comic book villain show up in a film than to have him show up in a film when the director is clearly disinterested in using the character.

And check out my new comic, AND THEN EMILY WAS GONE!

And listen to my slick Scottish voice on The Off-Panel Podcast!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #89
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

I just wrote that in the Avengers thread a few minutes ago...

"That would make Iron Man the first superhero in the world to have his own film trilogy and not fight his archfoe from the comics in it! "

And, responding to someone pointing out that "racist caricature" thing:

"In their early years, Wasp and Invisible Girl were sexist caricatures. Helpless females who always need powerful men to rescue them.
And what are they today? It's not that difficult to 'upgrade' a character a little bit by creating a new interpretation of him...
The Mandarin was good enough for the 2007 animated movie 'The Invincible Iron Man' (Lionsgate). So I don't see any reason why he shouldn't work for IM3. "

Honestly, an Iron Man trilogy without the Mandarin doesn't make much sense to me.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #90
Boom
I got nothin'

So I am to believe that a Chinese crime lord with ten alien rings cannot be made to work on screen without coming across as a "racist caricature?"

Last edited by Boom; 04-09-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #91
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
So I am to believe that a Chinese crime lord with ten alien rings cannot be made to work on screen without coming across as a "racist caricature?"
I don't get it either. They could easily make the character work without any real racist overtones attached to it.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM   #92
Boom
I got nothin'

Seriously. It's not exactly comforting when the creative minds behind this movie blow off Iron Man's arch enemy altogether because they refuse to rework him for a contemporary audience.

And by "rework him," I don't mean change his name, his race, and his weapon. If you're going to do that, you might as well make it an original character.

Last edited by Boom; 04-09-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM   #93
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom View Post
Seriously. It's not exactly comforting when the creative minds behind this movie blow off Iron Man's arch enemy altogether because they refuse to rework him for a contemporary audience.
Kind of makes you wonder what direction they are going in for this movie, since the Mandarin is near the top among Iron Man's biggest villains and would seem to make sense as the last one if this is indeed the last one with RDJ.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #94
terry78

A Chinese businessman who was behind all that **** from the first couple movies would be offensive to who, exactly?

Old 04-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #95
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
A Chinese businessman who was behind all that **** from the first couple movies would be offensive to who, exactly?
Really no one, but maybe they don't want to upset a possible audience in China, which they shouldn't be since he's a pretty established character with a healthy backstory.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #96
Boom
I got nothin'

So long as the character doesn't reinforce offensive racial stereotypes, I don't see what the problem is.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #97
terry78

They have no problem putting asian people in stereotypical roles now, but this would be different? I guess because he has so much power and is viewed as evil it might strike a nerve with some of the more questionable guys in power over there.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 PM   #98
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Kingsley would be a prefect choice to play The Mandarin (He looked just like him in Disney's Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time as the Main Villain Nizam.)

Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #99
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
They have no problem putting asian people in stereotypical roles now, but this would be different? I guess because he has so much power and is viewed as evil it might strike a nerve with some of the more questionable guys in power over there.
But considering he was really never a government official in China, I don't see how they could get too upset. He was always more of someone who they had a truce with so he wouldn't destroy them in an instant.

Last edited by Webfoot Hero; 04-09-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 PM   #100
Spider-Fan
We Are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

I don't think Kingsley as Mandarin is out of the realm of possibility. They always deny or refuse to comment on who they may play with these movies. I will believe he wouldn't be Mandarin when he is confirmed for someone else officially. Until then, I still have to think Mandarin will be involved.

Closed Thread