The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 06:37 PM   #26
Raiden
Say hello 2 my lil friend

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel

Great news! I believe that bringing back Matt Vaughn is critical in ensuring that the sequel for FC would be fantastic, because we have seen the effect of changing a director in the middle of a trilogy (X3, Batman Forever, Superman 3). I've criticized FOX heavily in the past, but they did absolutely the right thing in ensuring that both Vaughn and Singer return to steady the ship for part 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial View Post
Both McAvoy and Fassbender want this as well. So, unless the writers/director/producers go insane, then the sequel will most likely be more Xavier-focused. The guy just got paralyzed and lost his sister, best friend, and love interest by the end of the movie. He needs to be all kinds of messed up.
I think First Class focused more on Erik than Xavier, and while I like it alot, I hope Xavier will receive more spotlight on how him deals with the drastic changes in his life in FC2.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #27
Rockstar
Banned User

What was the issue with January Jones?

Just curious. I never read any articles on this

Old 01-30-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
danoyse
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
What was the issue with January Jones?

Just curious. I never read any articles on this
Well, the main one is that she's not very good.

The other one was that Matthew Vaughn might be/is/isn't (I don't follow this stuff, I have no idea how it turned out) had a thing during the X:FC shoot and that he's the father of her baby.

But...the more important news: yay! He's back!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 PM   #29
chaseter
Bland User

YAY! My faith is restored that Vaughn and Singer will slap Kinberg if he does something dumb.

Old 01-30-2012, 09:41 PM   #30
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
Uh, she had a relationship with a co-worker and didn't reveal his name. As if there's something wrong with it, well, people will want to know.

She wants her privacy, then let her have it. That won't happen putting her in the same place as before.

What did Katie Holmes do? Get married to a screwball and have a kid? Yeah, that's totally unique.
I don't like January Jones but I think her staying mum on the subject of the father is pretty awesome. It really isn't anyone's business. She may have asked a friend for a favor, she may have used artificial insemination, she may have had a one-night stand with someone who was single and when she got pregnant from it released him of all responsibility for the child. If it was say, Fassbender who got her pregnant and they had agreed he not be involved in the child's life, it wouldn't come across that way to the media. They'd eat it up and he'd get a rep for being an "irresponsible father".

Either way her personal life doesn't change the fact that she's a terrible actress. She needs to step up or be replaced. :/

Vaughn returning is sweet though. I hope the film stays in the 60s, MAX a year after Cuba. If they jump too far ahead, Charles' struggles will feel less meaningful. Now that Vaughn is back the only thing I have left to cross my fingers for when it comes to this film is a scene where Erik learns what he's done (paralyzing Charles). I don't care if they screw up the sequel as long as they include that scene. Fassbender and McAvoy are excellent emotion actors and I know they would knock it out of the park.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 PM   #31
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Vaughn earier hinted at begining sequel In 1963 with Magneto being responable for
JFK's assassination and moving Into late 60's around 1968.Singer also hinted at
sequel develing Into other 1960's events.

As for January Jones.The thing Is Emma frost Is like In this trilogy to what Mystique was
In first trilogy.They have Jones committed for 2 more films.In past If actors are committed to more films If the characters are back the actors return.Katie Homes Is not a good anology.Reports say warne rbrothers forced her on Nolan.And she choose to do another film Instead of doing the daark Knight.Nolan wasn't heartbroken to lose her.
Michael Sheen returned In Underworld evolution and Underworld rise of the lycans after Len Wiseman got together with Kate Beckinsale.His ex and mother of his daughter.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:38 AM   #32
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Yay good news.

I didn't mind January Jones in FC, but I can see why some people wish she was replaced by someone with a bit more ooomph.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:44 AM   #33
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Excellent, excellent news about Vaughn, so happy he is back as this can only be good news for this sequel. With Singer there to guide him along as well, I think we could be looking at possibly the best movie in the franchise so far with this sequel.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 AM   #34
Rockstar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danoyse View Post
The other one was that Matthew Vaughn might be/is/isn't (I don't follow this stuff, I have no idea how it turned out) had a thing during the X:FC shoot and that he's the father of her baby.

But...the more important news: yay! He's back!
Haha! That is awesome.

It also says Fassbender was going out with Zoe Kravitz during filming.. wow

Old 01-31-2012, 04:11 AM   #35
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Yep, it was one horny set! Not surprised, so many attractive people around each other.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(4)Captain America: TWS-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)Sin City: ADTDF-7(15)300:ROAE-7(16Million Ways To Die In The West-7(17)47 Ronin-6(18)Monuments Men-5(19)Ride Along-5(20)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 AM   #36
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Xstacy View Post
Yes. Now please give Professor X a good storyline.
Hell yeah! Fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerial
So, unless the writers/director/producers go insane, then the sequel will most likely be more Xavier-focused.
Even though they talked about it and, according to James, "Matthew came up with an interesting plot for the character", I'm still a bit cautious. There's nothing I want more than a good storyline dealing with Charles and all the things he had to go through after he was shot at that beach, but it's still supposed to be an "action/fantasy" movie, and it worries me that the producers will think that giving the main arc to a disabled character will "slow things down" or something . So they have to be very creative with that script. Focusing on Magneto and his merry band of mutants is much easier for anyone writing a X-Men script, I suppose.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart

Last edited by Loganbabe; 01-31-2012 at 05:34 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #37
BMM
Side-Kick

I actually think it's easier to focus on Charles, now that Erik's transformation from Nazi hunter to Magneto is seemingly complete.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #38
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I think that, while Charles' issues by themselves cannot realistically be the main plot of the movie, they can be tied into it in some creative way. But yeah, it's a much harder sell; for sure main characters in comic book films can have inner struggles and angst and whatnot but they're still expected to fight the bad guys in cool action sequences.

Last edited by Mrs Vimes; 01-31-2012 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #39
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
I actually think it's easier to focus on Charles, now that Erik's transformation from Nazi hunter to Magneto is seemingly complete.
I wouldn't say it's "easier", only that it's desirable. So far, none of the X-films dealt extensively with Charles and the full range of his powers - he's either knocked down or incapacited or dead. Even in FC his big telepathic battle was removed from the film. Second Class presents a great opportunity to focus on a character who is, after all, the main responsible for the X-Men group's existence as we know it. But it's a complex situation, because it's also a character dealing with a lot of painful issues - the story must show them, but it can't be about them. It's a summer, action-packed movie after all. So it's complicated.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 AM   #40
Phoenix_Flare
Side-Kick

^I agree! I feel as the sequel should show the evolution of Charles into Prof. X and Eric emerssing himself as Magneto. The plot of the sequel should be about the Government taking full action against mutants; mutant registration act, possible anti-mutant groups whilst Magneto is making his war, you have the X-Men in the midst.

To further Charles' development they must deal w/him being paralyzed and not being able to go into battle w/the X-Men, if they want they can introduce/retcon Juggernaut as his step-brother, who can be a potential threat for Charles...ppl say X3 messed up Juggernaut's character but in a way to fix it, what if Xavier mind wiped everyone including Cain, and no1 remembers who Juggernaut is? It'll be a great display of Xavier's powers
I def. think they should introduce one or 2 new X-Men; a male or female...

Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #41
FilmNerdJamie
We. Are. Hunter. RIDER!
SHH! Global Moderator

Showtime has been harping on this lately. But since its his birthday (33 ass-slaps) I'll be nice.

At this juncture with that Wolverine sequel lingering, who is to say they can't, or won't, integrate Hugh Jackman into the main plot this time. Why not, and they can have their cake and eat it too since his cameo always brought the house down. You can either continue with the prequel continuity (AKA Chuckie mind-****s him at some point towards the finale a la Moria) and throw your hands up and decide that this is a reboot after all and go full on Wein/Cockrum international X-Men.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:32 AM   #42
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

God I hope Jackman is no-where to be seen in this film. Looking forward to The Wolverine but his presence is totally unnecessary to this story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
In FC his big telepathic battle was removed from the film.
I hope this is rectified for Second Class.

Last edited by henzINNIT; 01-31-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:34 AM   #43
TheComicbookKid
Lois and Clark 4ever

Hell yeah, the telepathic battle has to be in this time.

That's why I hope they use Storm and the Shadow King as a template, but on a larger scale.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:03 AM   #44
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMM View Post
Great news about Vaughn. And how is Singer returning as producer a bad thing?
he doesn't know how to use the characters properly. you could see that in FC most characters were under developed and had little dialog, much like the first 2 x-movies. also he doesn't know how to address and show the humans discriminating mutants problem. all we saw in his movies was a small group of people demonstrating against mutants. nothing major. singer doesn't know how to use secondary characters and doesn't have a big vision needed to make big blockbusters.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:56 AM   #45
PsyJ
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitri_vampiro View Post
also he doesn't know how to address and show the humans discriminating mutants problem. all we saw in his movies was a small group of people demonstrating against mutants. nothing major.
We saw a lot more than that. We saw Bobby's own brother call the cops on him, Rogue, and Logan just for being mutants. We see one of said cops shoot Logan in head without any real provocation. We see Stryker brainwash and enslave mutants and to use them in his plan to commit genocide against the rest of mutantkind. I don't know what's more major than attempted genocide.

I think Singer could've done better in this regard too, but he wasn't nearly as bad at showing human on mutant hate as you make it sound.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:28 PM   #46
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmNerdJamie View Post
Showtime has been harping on this lately. But since its his birthday (33 ass-slaps) I'll be nice.

At this juncture with that Wolverine sequel lingering, who is to say they can't, or won't, integrate Hugh Jackman into the main plot this time. Why not, and they can have their cake and eat it too since his cameo always brought the house down. You can either continue with the prequel continuity (AKA Chuckie mind-****s him at some point towards the finale a la Moria) and throw your hands up and decide that this is a reboot after all and go full on Wein/Cockrum international X-Men.
If you go back and watch X2 It can be hinted both Xavier and Magneto
had prior knowledge of Wolverine.Hell In X-Men when Magneto first encounters him he says you must be Wolverine a further hint he has past knowledge of Wolverine.

Bryan Singer earlier said before It was known about Hugh Jackman's cameo In First Class Wolverine could show up In Sequel.Matthew Vaughn mentioned one new character showing up In sequel who goes toe to toe with Magneto now that Xavier IS crippled.What If they bring In a preadamanturm Wolverine
In sequel.He could be sent by government after Magneto,and he could cross path with X-men.

If you view First Class and sequels as prequels to Just X-Men and X2 you can Ignore the fact Beast didn't recgonize Wolverine.As people know I have made strong case that First Class should be viewed as just prequel to X-Men and X2.

As long as Bryan Singer Is producing I firmly expect these films to remain prequels to X-Men and X2 with a few liberties taken.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:32 PM   #47
Nathan
Probationary Ban - I will return in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
If you go back and watch X2 It can be hinted both Xavier and Magneto
had prior knowledge of Wolverine.
What exactly where the hints, because I didn't notice any.

Quote:
Hell In X-Men when Magneto first encounters him he says you must be Wolverine a further hint he has past knowledge of Wolverine.
That's because Sabertooth took his dogtags and Magneto saw that they had the name Wolverine on it.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #48
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The dogtags could be the explanation.

In X2 when Xavier sees Magneto In his prison Magneto says to Xavier you haven't told him about his past.Xavier says he put him on the path saying Logan's mind Is still fragil.

A case can be made both of them had prior knowledge of Wolverine.So If they want to go In that direction they are hints In Bryan Singer's X-Men films to build on.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:50 PM   #49
josh8
Side-Kick

Now that XM:FC has established the characters and universe, I'm totally open to them taking even more liberties with the first trilogy. Mostly, I'm talking about the timeline. They have to introduce Cyke, Jean, and Storm if they want this to be the epic movie that it should be. All the potential is there.

I agree that we need to see Charles become Prof. X and not just jump over him dealing with it all. So in that sense, the continuity of the timeline with the first X-Men movie will have to be fudged a bit.

I really think that they can do a mini Phoenix Saga here with the end result being Xavier shutting off Jean's powers. It fits in with his development as Prof. X, having to make terrible decisions at a time when he's still coping with his own loss. This fits in with both X2 and Last Stand. Meddling Emma could also be in the mix, flirting with a young Cyclops and driving Jean insane with her manipulations and perversion.

In this movie I see Magneto and Charles as not being total enemies, trying to either coexist or getting caught up in each other's "work". I wouldn't want Emma to be a total villain. The most important aspect of her character in the comics is that she wants to teach and mold the next generation of mutants into what she thinks is best. This would be a great angle for her... the manipulator.

Argghh I'm so excited!!!

Last edited by josh8; 01-31-2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:58 PM   #50
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Most likely Charles and Magneto will team up again against a common foe in the sequel like Fassbender has said in interviews.