Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #76
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Default Re: Matthew Vaughn Helming X-Men: First Class Sequel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
I want to see tall lumbering sentinels with the huge aztec heads and 50 different ways to kill mutants.

They should be used to supress rebellion from mutants who don't want to be used for war.
But the movie will be set in the 60s and 70s. Won't it seem odd to see giant pink robots with advanced technology hunting mutants from that era? I know the comics did it but they're going with a bit of a hyper realism in First Class. Using Sentinels would venture it to the science fantasy realm imo.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 02-02-2012, 12:32 PM   #77
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
But the movie will be set in the 60s and 70s. Won't it seem odd to see giant pink robots with advanced technology hunting mutants from that era? I know the comics did it but they're going with a bit of a hyper realism in First Class. Using Sentinels would venture it to the science fantasy realm imo.
This is the sort of argument that can make me laugh. We're talking about Red (Blue if you're Nightcrawler) skinned guys with BAMFing powers, blue skinned girls who can morph into anyone, clothes and all, men who can manipulate metal with jazz hands (lol, love that description from Michael Fassbender.), etc. etc. and you're questioning the logic of something technologically possible as robots?

With a genius like Hank McCoy who was working for the government before Charles recruited him to his team, the Sentinels could be one of his detailed, rejected blue prints some enterprising Mutie hating guy could have recovered from the trash bin and implemented as a defense project. What do you think Area 51 would be for? The Alien technology thing would be just a cover story to throw suspicious individuals off the trail.

The Curious Stranger:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

- Your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #78
Raiden
Hunk of Junk Soars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinouga View Post
This is the sort of argument that can make me laugh. We're talking about Red (Blue if you're Nightcrawler) skinned guys with BAMFing powers, blue skinned girls who can morph into anyone, clothes and all, men who can manipulate metal with jazz hands (lol, love that description from Michael Fassbender.), etc. etc. and you're questioning the logic of something technologically possible as robots?

With a genius like Hank McCoy who was working for the government before Charles recruited him to his team, the Sentinels could be one of his detailed, rejected blue prints some enterprising Mutie hating guy could have recovered from the trash bin and implemented as a defense project. What do you think Area 51 would be for? The Alien technology thing would be just a cover story to throw suspicious individuals off the trail.
Well, you're talking about mutants, and we've already accepted the fact that mutation can give those individuals abilities and even appearances that defy logics and even nature's laws. However, that is different than having 50-foot machines that seemed to come from the 22nd Century. But if they are going to introduce Sentinels, I hope that they'd do it in such a way that isn't too far-fetched. Your idea about Area 51 could pausibly work.

"I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high, it always has been, and it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not." - Captain America
Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #79
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

You are not well versed in robotics are you? Robots have been around ever since some guy learned to take wheels, springs and cogs and put them together to make them produce self sustaining movement in humanoid figures several centuries ago. 350 B.C. to be exact:

http://robotics.megagiant.com/history.html

That's more plausible in real life than people having a chromosome that allows them to manipulate their body density to phase through walls. And I never said I wanted 50 foot Sentinels. Have you read my previous posts where I stated that the original Sentinels that were 10 - 15 feet high. The only Sentinel that should be 50 feet tall is Master Mold. And for the most part he was in a sitting position cranking out the smaller ones. I mean come on, if you can believe a guy is a Thunder God or a man can make a robotic exosuit that gives him the strength of a God, why is a relatively tall robot that incomprehensible?

The Curious Stranger:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Godzilla2000; 02-02-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #80
Nathan

What if they also make them man controlled? Basically like the Iron Monger suit.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #81
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
What if they also make them man controlled? Basically like the Iron Monger suit.
Because of the nature of what the Sentinels represent I wouldn't prefer to see them as exosuits. Maybe they could have biological components in them, but a human being is a bit too much for my taste. As far as it applied in the story even when destroying or capturing mutants, Professor X would not allow for the humans inside to be harmed therefore robbing an element that would have he and Magneto working together to stop them. Maybe Master Mold could have a human being inside of him (Gods, he's big enough to house people inside of him anyway!) inside a control room in his head thinking that he's pulling the strings when Master Mold has actually gained Artificial Intelligence, but the smaller ones would be stretching it. How could you possibly get that many people to wear that many suits to take care of that many mutants in the world? If I'm correct Genosha is off the African Coast, which could set up Xavier finding Storm at least.

The Curious Stranger:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #82
TheComicbookKid
Coulda Woulda Shoulda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1387 View Post
I'd like to see different Sentinel models. First the a little bigger than human beings models, transitioning into the bigger models proving more of a threat.
The same way they made the future Cebero into that rudimentary prototype.I would love to see and early version of the Sentinels.

Like some kind of slow lumbering mummies almost with ray guns attached to their arms. Exposed wiring and gears. Like the robots in Real Steel but they'd have to be much larger.

Last edited by TheComicbookKid; 02-02-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #83
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComicbookKid View Post
The same way they made the future Cebero into that rudimentary prototype.I would love to see and early version of the Sentinels.

Like some kind of slow lumbering mummies almost with ray guns attached to their arms. Exposed wiring and gears. Like the robots in Real Steel but they'd have to be much larger.
That would be pretty neat to see primitive prototypes of the Sentinels. I'd think that they should be controlled by Master Mold from a remote base like drones, hence why it would start developing an Artificial Intelligence. I guess you could think of Master Mold as a Frankenstein's monster allegory in that Master Mold and the Sentinels are some unnatural creation that the creators lose control of and it's up to Magneto, his fledgling Brotherhood, and the X-Men to team up and destroy it before it becomes an unstoppable menace.

The Curious Stranger:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #84
SuperSoldier985
That's Funny

Let me just say, I had a big smile on my face when I heard the news on this..

Old 02-04-2012, 02:02 AM   #85
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Yay! It's always nice when something simple can make people smile.

The Curious Stranger:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #86
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Considering all the mutants running around, isn't it already in the realm of science fantasy? I think I see what you mean though. Other than the mutants, it's our world, and we didn't have anything approaching giant mutant hunting robots back then. I've always been for there being explanations for where all the futuristic tech comes from. I mean, if there are mad scientists and corporations all over the place inventing androids, time machines, space ships, and death rays, why is the world still so similar to ours? Why are people still driving around in broken down Pintos when the technology for flying cars has seemingly been perfected?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #87
Godzilla2000
Super Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Considering all the mutants running around, isn't it already in the realm of science fantasy? I think I see what you mean though. Other than the mutants, it's our world, and we didn't have anything approaching giant mutant hunting robots back then. I've always been for there being explanations for where all the futuristic tech comes from. I mean, if there are mad scientists and corporations all over the place inventing androids, time machines, space ships, and death rays, why is the world still so similar to ours? Why are people still driving around in broken down Pintos when the technology for flying cars has seemingly been perfected?
My mother, when she was a teen in the 50's saw a hovercar of some sort at an expo. She was telling me about it and she thought it was weird that after that initial demonstration you never heard about the technology again. Just think of Area 51 and how the government denied its existence for a very long time. Then think about how many experimental things have gone on outside of the prying eyes of the civilian public for decades. How can we be sure that the government didn't have sophisticated things in the 60's that we were never privy to? Do you see where I'm going with this in correlation to the Sentinels? The government, especially the military is very, very secretive about the types of technology it has at its disposal.

The Curious Stranger:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #88
demitri_vampiro
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelDawes View Post
If that were the case then I don't see why Professor X or the X-Men would bother to help humanity. There has to be some goodness in people that's clouded by ignorance and fear or else Charles's mission is pointless.
there is some goodness, but its far searched. same is in the comics.
then again, these x-movies have wondered off so far from their comic roots, its not even fun anymore. they use characters from different times and put them together, invent story lines, take away the fantasy elements.
thats why x-men movies under fox will never work and will never be big.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #89
The Morningstar
Banned User

The X-Men movies under Fox have already worked and are already big. It's a billion dollar franchise and X-1,2 and First Class are great films.

If you are trying to say comic book accuracy would make them even better and even bigger then... you're wrong.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #90
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

Worldwide X-Men First Class was second highest comic book film of 2011.while Captain America did better domesticly overseas First Class did better.

X-Men's audence comes from three sources 1:Those who became awre of them from Comics 2:First watched the 1990's animated show and 3:The films.

Trying to perfectly capture the X-Men lineup was never going to happen.I hate to break reality to some.But,the X-Men only became the world top Comic after Wolverine,Storm,
Nightcrawler,and Colossus was added.A reboot rather by Fox or Marvel wouldn't change that.May I remind people Marvel Studios The AVengers discarded Ant-Man and Wasp
In favor of Black widow and hawkeye.Has the Avengers assembled by Shield lead by Ultimate Version of Nick Fury Instead of being joining of earth's mighest Heroes.Compared to X-Men films people let other marvel films alone.If Bryan Singer and Matthew Vaughn had turned a white character black like Chris nOlan and Zack snyder are doing for Man of Steel just Imagne the hell some would raise yet they say nothing when Laurence Fishbourne Is cast as Perry White.Ok to be fair It Is was probally all Snyder's doing but still.

There are plenty of fantasy elements In X-Men.They don't use outer space and Time Travel elements.I will take X-Men,X2,and First Class over all Marvel Studios films and
Sam Rami Spider-Man Trilogy.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:24 PM   #91
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

I need to make correction on Box office statement after reading Box Office Mojo figures.First Class overseas did do better than Captain American but the domestic take of captain America helps It get over First Class worldwide

Captain America Box office 176 Million Domesticly Overseas 192 Million
First Class domesticly 146 Million Overseas 207 Million

This Is one case where foreign audences were smarter than US audences.

This Is second film In series In a row where foreign take was higher than US take.Wolverine back In 2009 had 179 million domesticlly and 193 Million overseas.It nearly
beat the take of X2 overseas If you don't go Into Inflation.

Bottom Line.X-Men Is a world wide franchise now.While First Class was lowest grossing film in franchise domesticly(which causes it to be lowest overall In franchise) overseas It was second highest grossing film.Only The Last Stand did better overseas.

Just Imagne what a good X-men film following all the good reaction to First Class could do.Part of success of Last Stand was based on all the praise and success of X2.Plus calling It last part of a trilogy.Wolverine was a success based on populary of Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

With better promation and better release date the sequel has poential to be hugh since US box office will likely be better.Look at how well Mission Impossible GP did compared to
Mission Impossible III.Kate Beckinsale's return to Underworld franchise has helped Awakening be second highest grossing film In franchise.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 PM   #92
Angamb
Banned User

agree about Second Class getting a bigger boxoffice next time, it can really be bigger than Last Stand.

we'll see what happens on first week, we have to wait two years, but its fine, Lol

Old 02-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #93
Storm22
Side-Kick

Considering the box office draw the likes of Fassbender and Lawrence have now since First Class, the chances of this sequel being a box office hit are already high. Hopefully the story etc. will be the same quality as First Class.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #94
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Well they both have a lot of buzz for sure, but box office draw? Not yet, I think.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #95
Project862006
Banned User

lawrence has a better chance to be a draw than fassbender

Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 AM   #96
blueserenity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project862006 View Post
lawrence has a better chance to be a draw than fassbender
Very true. Michael Fassbender has quickly become an A-lister, but the films he's gotten recognition for are not wide releases. He's still notttt quite a household name. Jennifer Lawrence isn't either, but with Hunger Games coming out next month she'll be a big deal. And the type of people who go to Hunger Games are more likely to be in the X-Men audience than those who went to see Shame or a Dangerous Method.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 AM   #97
Loganbabe
Don't want your future

Fassbender is hardly a draw, imo. And even with Jennifer's rising popularity due to Hunger Games, she's not considered a draw as yet.

People will see it...because it's the X-Men we are talking about, of course. It's the oldest CBM franchise still active, after all.

James McAvoy & Patrick Stewart
Old 02-06-2012, 08:52 AM   #98
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loganbabe View Post
Fassbender is hardly a draw, imo. And even with Jennifer's rising popularity due to Hunger Games, she's not considered a draw as yet.

People will see it...because it's the X-Men we are talking about, of course. It's the oldest CBM franchise still active, after all.
Bingo.

And I wouldn't bank on Lawrence coming back.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #99
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

She Is already commited to It.Like rest of cast she committed to sequels.Plus she has publicly said she Is Intrested In coming back.Plus In trade reports on Vaughn signing for sequel she along with James Mcavory,Michael Fassbender,and Nicholas Holt have all been signald out as cast members committed to sequel.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #100
FilmNerdJamie
Magneto was right!
SHH! Global Moderator

The trades were just quoting TOLDJA but they put words in their mouths saying everyone was confirmed to come back. Right now the only people confirmed coming back are Vaughn, Singer and Kinberg.

Lionsgate wants to get filming going on Catching Fire by this Spring, in the event The Hunger Games take off like many expect. Fitting in Lawrence for both that and X-Men: Second Class will be next to impossible since both are gearing up around the same time and both gunning for 2013 releases.

She's signed up for more X-Men, yes, but contracts can (and regularly are) bought out. The only actors I'd say are definite to return are McAvoy and Fassbender personally.