The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 02-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #101
KalKai
n/a

Default Re: SMALLVILLE RETURNS! ...in novel form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binker View Post
Where did THAT come from? That better not be the cover to issue #1. I want the one I saw before that one.
It's the print cover by Gary Frank. The other is the digital cover by Cat Staggs.

Is that Gary Frank's usual art style?

Just go for the digital one.

KalKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #102
BritishChap007
Side-Kick

At least Frank isn't drawing the book art.vwhat a horrid cover.

Nice 100x post, KalKai!

BritishChap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM   #103
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishChap007 View Post
This shot is a little more underwhelming:

Trunks are definately gone, but the suit is fabric and not metal like in the DCnU. Hate the way Clark is drawn in that shot. Does not look like Welling. Way to young.

We shall see.
WTF, This does not look like the suit that appeared in the finale. More to the point why are we seeing the DCU version without the red trunks. When we clearly saw them on him when he flew as well as the comic image
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:23 PM   #104
KalKai
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritishChap007 View Post
At least Frank isn't drawing the book art.vwhat a horrid cover.

It's Supes face. It's so not Welling's. The background is okayish.

Did Frank see Cat's cover before drawing his?

I don't think he did, otherwise he would've done something better than that.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:31 PM   #105
Binker
Side-Kick

Oh god. Umm, yeah is there anyway to get the other cover instead on the print version? Cause I don't think I'll get them digital.

Want to know the sad thing is; Gary Frank is a GREAT artist. Want an example? Well, you know the comic from the series finale that we're going back to compare to the Smallville comic artwork? That's Gary Frank's artwork.

This is Gary Frank's Superman:

Not the cover above. In fact...what's wrong with his face?

Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:33 PM   #106
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Frank clearly wasn't even trying. I'm praying that isn't any sort of official image.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #107
KalKai
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Frank clearly wasn't even trying. I'm praying that isn't any sort of official image.
Unfortunately it is, and more will come after that 1.

"The digital covers are the work of artist Cat Staggs, while Gary Frank will handle the print covers. "

I have no idea why there's such a drastic change in art quality between print and digital.

Someone should tell Frank to up it, or just use Cat Staggs for both.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:49 PM   #108
Johnny
Side-Kick

Gary Frank is awesome. I'm sure he'll do much better with the next covers. This guy is one of the best in the business imo. Cat's cover is a killer though. How come hasn't DC allowed her to do more until now is beyond me. Her art reminds me a lot of Alex Ross'. Except for his dreadful Zatanna image. Great artists do screw up sometimes, it does happen, as we see with Frank's cover. He's gonna bounce back.

Last edited by Johnny; 02-09-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #109
The Incredible Hulk
O AN I SEXY!

Can't we just be happy they have any kind of continuation whatsoever?

I mean it's just cover art on a version most people likely won't even buy. Not to mention, I can't count the number of awesome comics I have where the cover art sucks and looks nothing like what's portrayed in the book.

Simmer down.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #110
Dangerman
the end is nigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Incredible Hulk View Post
Can't we just be happy they have any kind of continuation whatsoever?

I mean it's just cover art on a version most people likely won't even buy. Not to mention, I can't count the number of awesome comics I have where the cover art sucks and looks nothing like what's portrayed in the book.

Simmer down.
I am happy but I don't it to be Smallville: the Bold and the Brave. I want it to actually be a Superman comic where you have the other heroes pop in now and then. But more than likely if they were smart they would follow the Invincible format if they were to have all these people. But I still would prefer it to be just Clark/Superman. But maybe they can fix Lana in this series as well as Pete.

Dangerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #111
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
WTF, This does not look like the suit that appeared in the finale. More to the point why are we seeing the DCU version without the red trunks. When we clearly saw them on him when he flew as well as the comic image
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Agreed

Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 PM   #112
Evantainment
Side-Kick

I'm excited to read this. Hope it is good!

Evantainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #113
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evantainment View Post
I'm excited to read this. Hope it is good!
agreed glad Smallville was back. Can't wait!

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #114
Binker
Side-Kick

BTW, I don't know if I remember this correctly, but wasn't the comic from Finale supposed to be published? I wonder if that will be included with this, wither with issue 1, or maybe when the comic is collected in HC/TPB?

Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #115
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

It'll be nice to see Metropolis drawn as an actual city, as opposed to the fairly obvious backlot they used for the last three seasons of the show.

Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #116
Johnny
Side-Kick

^^ True. Drastically cutting Smallville's budget during the most important seasons of the show was unforgivable. I've always known CW was full of **** but this made me hate them with passion.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #117
BrollySupersj
YES I DID IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalKai View Post
http://www.tvguide.com/News/Smallvil...c-1042919.aspx

In one of the closing scenes of last May's Smallville series finale, Chloe Sullivan tells her Superman-worshipping son, "There will always be more adventures for another day." That day is about to arrive, thanks to a new comic-book series that picks up where the long-running show left off. On April 13, DC Comics launches Smallville Season 11 in digital format (and later in print collections).

Season 11 begins six months after Clark Kent defeated Darkseid and stopped the planet Apokolips from crashing into Earth. He's now settling into life as the Man of Steel while continuing to carry on his dual identity as a mild-mannered reporter at the Daily Planet. "It's Clark's first year as Superman," says writer Bryan Q. Miller, who was also a writer on the TV show and has previously scripted DC's Teen Titans and Batgirl comics. "He's riding the high of everything working out so far. And he enjoys that he can stop and shake hands with folks after he saves them."

Don't expect the good times to last forever. Lex Luthor — brought back from the dead as Smallville ended but wiped of his memories, including that Clark is super-powered alien — will be one of Superman's main adversaries in the series. "Most people are thrilled that Superman saved the world by moving a planet out of the way," Miller says, "but Lex and a handful of others are concerned that there's a guy out there who can move planets."

Fans of the TV show will no doubt be thrilled to see many of the supporting cast featured prominently in the story. "It's a continuation of the lives of characters seen weekly over the course of 10 years," Miller says. "It's an ensemble book with Clark Kent at the core. Clark just so happens to now be Superman." That ensemble includes Lois Lane, his fiancé and fellow reporter; his childhood best friend, Chloe; and Oliver Queen, aka the Green Arrow. As was teased in the finale, Chloe and Ollie are now married. (In fact, she's going by the name Chloe Sullivan-Queen.)

The first arc of Smallville Season 11 is scheduled to include 12 chapters, which will be available via the DC Comics app on Apple, Android and Windows mobile devices, as well as online at read.dccomics.com. The first print edition goes on sale May 16 and will collect the opening four chapters, along with an episode guide to the TV show. The digital covers (including the one pictured above) are the work of artist Cat Staggs, while Gary Frank will handle the print covers. Pere Pérez, who worked with Miller on the Batgirl comic, will handle the interior art.

Doesn't seem like a bad idea...but for all intents and purposes, I myself would rather see a whole new TV season, either way it's nice to know they want to continue the series in some form. I'll give it a go.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #118
kal-elrebooted
True Superman Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalKai View Post
so wait why did they change the costume from what we saw in the tv series?

Classic Costume All the Way
kal-elrebooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #119
elgaz
Side-Kick

Probably to line it up more with the new trunks-free Superman who is appearing in both MOS and the latest line of DC comics.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 04:51 AM   #120
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

It's kind of strange (not necessarily in a bad way) to know that despite whatever happens in this new form of Season 11, that we still know on what's to become of at least Clark/Superman, Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Lex, and Chloe/Her son 6 years later (after season 11) because we saw that epilogue/future sequence of them in 2018 at the end of the series finale.

herolee10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:14 AM   #121
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

Bryan Q. Miller recently posted a message on his blog giving a little more detail about the series

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Q. Miller
The first 12 weeks are the "season premiere". It has a one-word title. As always, they will all have one-word titles. And, for the folks who'll know what this means, the second "episode" has Intern Jeff.

And Episode 3 just might start with roommates Jeff and Bert debating things over breakfast in their odd-couple apartment.
Source

The Caped Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:38 AM   #122
Johnny
Side-Kick

^^ Nice to see we'll still have fillerish stuff lol.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #123
Lord
All Mighty

I'm liking this more and more. Seems to follow the episode structure of the show more than other shows continuations like Buffy Season 8, 9 and the Angel continuations

Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Lord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #124
BritishChap007
Side-Kick

To be fair, I never really bought Welling's Superman would wear underwear outside of his pants. He was always so self-conscious. He didn't even want to wear glasses for God sake but suddenly he's slapping on undies over a pair of tights?

BritishChap007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #125
LostSon88
Side-Kick

This is exactly what I had hoped would happen…

A comic mini-series is PERFECT.

So am I reading this right in that the initial print publications will consist of the original online editions?