The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Old 02-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #26
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Capt. Marvel/Ms. Marvel Film? (Good idea or GREAT idea?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
And i do think at least someone in the movie could call him Captain Marvel. Maybe ask where's Billy Batson too, just as a joke. I mean, if your name was John Soupman, don't you think your colleagues would make fun of you and call you Superman? Especially if you do something heroic - eg you're a cop.
Yeah, someone in the movie should certainly call him Captain Marvel. I think it might be best if Carol Danvers does, and run it like the scene in the Ultimate comics
Danvers: "Real name, real rank. Now."
Lawson: "Pluskommander Hala'son Ghenris Mar-Vell of the Kree Imperial Navy"
Danvers: "So... Captain... Marvel, basically?"

I'm not so sure about the Batson shoutout, because so few people would recognize the reference.

I think the Ultimate Comics had a really great take on the costume:

Though I also want him to be using the Negabands... and I want the Kree to be a bit less human-looking than they are now.

Other random thoughts:
Arc I: Carol "Warbird" Danvers gets transferred from Air Force to SHIELD, where investigates Lawson, we see his origin story in retrospect as they play cat and mouse while this mysterious warrior character saves her from attacks from an unknown organization.
Act II: The Kree, with Lawson, are revealed, and now he and Danvers have to fight to prevent Col. Yon-Rogg from acquiring the second Negaband, in Lawson's possession, which would allow them to bring their entire fleet here in an instant. Nitros are created and released, one in particular has it out for the heroes.
Act III: With Lawson captured, Danvers flies and stealths her way onto their ship, rescues Mahr Vell, who then turns to face Yon-Rogg, with the negabands, harnessing immense energy from the Negative Zone (showing off what will be Ms. Marvel's powers). Lawson has a good, but losing fight but creates and explosion, taking out Yon-Rogg (overloading the bands?) though in the explosion, Danvers' DNA is Kree-ed up (reference some earlier plot point, perhaps with the Nitros' creation). Danvers holds Lawson though a death scene, puts on the bands and goes and stops Nitro by absorbing him.

A bit dense on the sci-fi, with aliens AND extradimensional stuff, but it's the best I got.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:10 AM   #27
Silvermoth
Avenger

A Ms Marvel telly series spun off from a movie would be cool. Sort of X-files meets Doctor Who.

Might give her a chance to boost her supporting cast a bit.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #28
Diamondhead
Banned User

Quote:
Here's our Carol Danvers:

She's got the right personality and looks for the part. Of course, she could easily play Mockingbird as well.
Not built curvy enough!maybe she'd be good in a rubber suit with curves and a little muscle playing Silver Sable
I've seen her in chuck and the woman has not enough hips for miss marvel
It would be like the B movie Vampirella .the woman wasn't nearly curvy enough ,it ruined it. Seriously!
The perfect actress would be Christina Applegate but sadly I think she's a little too old now, and I picture Amanda Seyfried more as the Valkyrie and I hope they use her in Thor.
Maybe the girl who used to host <popular mechanic for kids> Elisha Cuthbert!
I think her good enough for that!

Last edited by Diamondhead; 02-20-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Diamondhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #29
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

She has the attitude, she already has fight training from being a spy on chuck and she is flippin hot.

Simple camera and light tricks can create the look of being more curvy or whatever if that is an honest requirement in your eyes.

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploa...-ms-marvel.jpg

She is Ms. Marvel to me.

MarvelKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #30
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Ali Larter may be a secondary choice.

Old 02-21-2012, 11:30 PM   #31
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

I love Yvonne Strahovski, but she strikes me as a bit too serious for Carol Danvers, if that makes any sense. I think the actress who plays Carol needs to be able to play her with a sense of humor, with a sense of being a party girl who's trying to cast off her demons. And personally, I see her as an older soul --- not physically, maybe in her 30s, but she should feel more mature, more experienced. I could see Ali Larter, Elizabeth Banks, Charlize Theron, Malin Akerman, Diane Kruger....someone like that.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:39 PM   #32
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Yeah, I have only seen her in Chuck and in Killer Elite (that was only a bit part). But we'll see. I could see Ms. Marvel being introduced in a SHIELD movie as well, before they get her movie going too. Even if it's a cameo or a bit part at first before they get to the movie to at least get her on screen.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:32 AM   #33
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
She has the attitude, she already has fight training from being a spy on chuck and she is flippin hot.

Simple camera and light tricks can create the look of being more curvy or whatever if that is an honest requirement in your eyes.

http://loyalkng.com/wp-content/uploa...-ms-marvel.jpg

She is Ms. Marvel to me.
I posted this in a different thread, but it's just as relevant here.

Movie reshape. The answer to any problem of height/ too small boobs/ curviness etc:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Using this technology, a person can be made to look taller or shorter without the need for forced camera angles, lifts, ramps etc. A person can also be made to look more muscular, fatter, bigger boobs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I love Yvonne Strahovski, but she strikes me as a bit too serious for Carol Danvers, if that makes any sense. I think the actress who plays Carol needs to be able to play her with a sense of humor, with a sense of being a party girl who's trying to cast off her demons. And personally, I see her as an older soul --- not physically, maybe in her 30s, but she should feel more mature, more experienced. I could see Ali Larter, Elizabeth Banks, Charlize Theron, Malin Akerman, Diane Kruger....someone like that.
I don't really get this party girl vibe from Carol Danvers. She is a pretty serious character and often seemed to want to be taken seriously and show that she could compete with the boys. However, even if you go for a party girl angle, Strahovski can do that, and she has done that in Chuck. It's just that her role in there hasn't called for her to be that kind of person but a spy - which certainly fits with the military angle of Carol.

And besides, Marvel movies change personalities all the time. Jim Rhodes/ War Machine should be much more laid back in the comics. The way his character has been written in both Iron Man movies is to make him more serious and by the book compared to the fun-loving Stark (who isn't always that way in the comics himself but more serious).

Last edited by Dark Raven; 02-22-2012 at 07:36 AM.
Dark Raven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #34
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:

I don't really get this party girl vibe from Carol Danvers. She is a pretty serious character and often seemed to want to be taken seriously and show that she could compete with the boys. However, even if you go for a party girl angle, Strahovski can do that, and she has done that in Chuck. It's just that her role in there hasn't called for her to be that kind of person but a spy - which certainly fits with the military angle of Carol.

And besides, Marvel movies change personalities all the time. Jim Rhodes/ War Machine should be much more laid back in the comics. The way his character has been written in both Iron Man movies is to make him more serious and by the book compared to the fun-loving Stark (who isn't always that way in the comics himself but more serious).
I was talking about Carol's past, and the fact that she's a recovering alcoholic.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #35
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I was talking about Carol's past, and the fact that she's a recovering alcoholic.
They can just cut that out altogether. That's the mid section of Carol's past. She didn't start off that way in the 70s and 80s, and she isn't really that so much today. Part of the reason she got into that was because she had her powers and identity stolen from her by Rogue when she was thrown off the Golden Gate Bridge. Since Rogue is owned by Fox, there won't be any of that backstory. There was also that whole rape thing with Marcus (son of Immortus) and her sense of betrayal by the Avengers. Not only will they not go into any rape issue, but that would be too far down the line anyway where the team is already well established.

I see Marvel just glossing over this in the same way as Tony Stark barely touched on this in Iron Man 2. Alcoholism is more of Iron Man's schtick anyway, and even then, isn't what defines him. I don't think there's any need for that with Carol.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 AM   #36
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
I posted this in a different thread, but it's just as relevant here.

Movie reshape. The answer to any problem of height/ too small boobs/ curviness etc:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Using this technology, a person can be made to look taller or shorter without the need for forced camera angles, lifts, ramps etc. A person can also be made to look more muscular, fatter, bigger boobs etc.
Or just don't, and leave the actress as is.

"Not enough hips"? Is this actually something someone posted?

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #37
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Yes, essentially someone did post that. Kind of obsurd, no?

Old 03-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #38
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Abin Suring him would be a huge mistake. I was just posting about this in the Avengers thread. I think the legacy aspect is the key to making this work.

You devote an entire film to Mar-Vell. Set it up so that he's in a relationship with Carol Danvers (doesn't have to be all that serious of one). Then he needs to sacrifice himself towards the end of the film, with a very heroic and noble death, probably saving the universe from something big. Ms Marvel gets her powers during this, and feels the need to pay homage to Mar-Vell, and not let his sacrifice end the legacy of a man she considers great. So she models herself after him, in "superhero name", costume, etc, trying to live up to his example. End it on her making that decision, on a hopeful note.

Or something along those lines.
Definately

Well said Chewy, I know I'm a little late to the party but I'm starting to become more and more excited about a Captain Marvel film

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #39
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Who should play Mar-Vell? Also, if they go through with it, I hope they don't go with CGI for the character himself.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #40
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelKnight View Post
Who should play Mar-Vell? Also, if they go through with it, I hope they don't go with CGI for the character himself.
Kevin Pennington.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #41
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Kevin Pennington.
The infamous!

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:15 PM   #42
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Bad idea. Don't bother with Mar-Vell at all and just make Ms. Marvel. She doesn't need Mar-Vell to have a workable origin, and having her dependent on another superhero who'll die is just starting her off on the wrong foot. Set her up as the main hero of her movie series from the start, not the backup hero.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #43
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
Bad idea. Don't bother with Mar-Vell at all and just make Ms. Marvel. She doesn't need Mar-Vell to have a workable origin, and having her dependent on another superhero who'll die is just starting her off on the wrong foot. Set her up as the main hero of her movie series from the start, not the backup hero.
Well, you could always have Mar-Vell start off as the hero, like Steven Segal in Executive Decision. He seems to be the main hero, but dies a quarter of the way through, and the mission is left to Kurt Russell, who is playing against type as not the macho type.

It would be a surprise to people watching the movie and expecting the standard superhero film, and would make them sit up. It could be marketed as a Captain Marvel movie but actually turn out to be a Ms Marvel movie.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #44
marcvader
Lurker #1
SHH! Moderator

Quote:
Nah, don't worry, your guy is called Shazam now so there won't be any confusion.

__________________#1 CBM of 2014____________________
Twitter- @mrpink13
GO PHINS
HAIL HYDRA!
marcvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #45
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Nah, don't worry, your guy is called Shazam now so there won't be any confusion.
If Marvel wants a bomb, then go right ahead and make a movie with Mar-Vell. The guy can't carry a series past 30 or so issues, why does anyone think he'll be able to carry a movie? And to make a movie just to kill him and pass the torch to Ms. Marvel? So a woman can't carry a movie series unless a man starts it off for her? Is that the message people want to get across? Personally speaking, I want Ms. Marvel to have her own trilogy of movies, not a hand-me-down trilogy after Mar-Vell hogged one of the movies.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #46
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
How do you imagine the story going without Mar-Vell?

Quote:
If Marvel wants a bomb, then go right ahead and make a movie with Mar-Vell. The guy can't carry a series past 30 or so issues, why does anyone think he'll be able to carry a movie? And to make a movie just to kill him and pass the torch to Ms. Marvel? So a woman can't carry a movie series unless a man starts it off for her? Is that the message people want to get across? Personally speaking, I want Ms. Marvel to have her own trilogy of movies, not a hand-me-down trilogy after Mar-Vell hogged one of the movies.
Contrast hits with celebrated heroines like Terminator and Aliens with moderate successes despite A list talent like Kill Bill and Tomb Raider. Ignore the plethora of abject failures. The message is already sent, ignore it at your own risk.

The reason to use Mar-vell is because it allows you to tell a brand new superhero story, one where the hero actually dies, actually loses, and his love interest takes up his mantle. With that in mind, the whole movie is constructed for Carol to be the hero, it's just not the cookie cutter way, it's not apparent until the overt hero dies. Executive Decision is a good example. Other films which pass the buck to a new hero include 300, Armageddon, The Book of Eli. Good films, in general. It's a very strong, rarely used twist. For me personally, Highlander: Endgame would be the ideal balance/climax/torch passing pacing. They work together, Mar-Vell is clearly the superior, but he passes his power to Danvers so that she can achieve the victory he cannot.

Who do you imagine as the villains involved in a Ms. Marvel trilogy?

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #47
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I don't think a Captain Marvel film would be anymore likely to bomb than a Ms. Marvel film, both of them are probably D listers when it comes to the general audience. Granted Ms. Marvel is significantly more popular in the comic book world especially in the last few years, but that doesn't necessarily mean it would translate over into the movie world.

I say let the first film be a Captain Marvel film with him dying at the end and showing Carol Denvers DNA combined with his Kree DNA. Then have her take up the Marvel mantle at the beginning of the sequel film (or very end of the 1st) and from then on out it could be a Ms. Marvel story.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #48
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Comic sales don't matter. Green Lantern was one of the hottest properties in comicdom when that movie came out. Captain Marvel is a somewhat straightforward character with one notable storyline - his death.

It's not that a woman can't carry a movie series unless a man starts it off her, it's that it's a unique story that pertains to Ms Marvel wherein her predecessor dies and passes on the mantel.

Ms Marvel would have her own trilogy of films. It's just that the first would have a co-star. Her origin ties in directly to Mar-Vell, and combining that story with his death gives the tale emotional weight it wouldn't otherwise have had

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #49
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Comic sales don't matter. Green Lantern was one of the hottest properties in comicdom when that movie came out.
That's pretty much the same thing I just said in my post, comic sells doesn't necessary transition over to the big screen.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #50
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Comic sales don't matter. Green Lantern was one of the hottest properties in comicdom when that movie came out. Captain Marvel is a somewhat straightforward character with one notable storyline - his death.

It's not that a woman can't carry a movie series unless a man starts it off her, it's that it's a unique story that pertains to Ms Marvel wherein her predecessor dies and passes on the mantel.

Ms Marvel would have her own trilogy of films. It's just that the first would have a co-star. Her origin ties in directly to Mar-Vell, and combining that story with his death gives the tale emotional weight it wouldn't otherwise have had
Exactly. And my suggestion of making it like Executive Decision is not so that Captain Marvel has to carry the movie first, but because it would be a big shock to audiences and differentiate it from all the other comic book movies out there. Audiences probably already think that all comic movies are much the same, so anything that switches up the formula a bit is a good thing. And when I mention Executive Decision, that doesn't mean that Mar-Vell has to die at around the same spot as Steven Segal did in that movie.