The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 03:44 AM   #651
Supermanila
Side-Kick

Default Re: TMOS Set & Official Photo Thread - Discussion Welcome - Part 6

I honestly think it's not for their preparation of flight scenes, I mean you don't need diving lessons for that, with scuba gears and oxygen tanks. Swimming lessons should be enough if you want to get the form.

Additionally, if it was training for flight scenes, then everyone with flight scenes should be training with them. That includes Shannon and the other kryptonians, but they didn't post their pics, which most likely means they didn't train with them.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #652
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermanila View Post
I honestly think it's not for their preparation of flight scenes, I mean you don't need diving lessons for that, with scuba gears and oxygen tanks. Swimming lessons should be enough if you want to get the form.

Additionally, if it was training for flight scenes, then everyone with flight scenes should be training with them. That includes Shannon and the other kryptonians, but they didn't post their pics, which most likely means they didn't train with them.

Good point. It could be that they are prepping Henry and Russell for actual diving scenes. Maybe for two separate reasons. Clark could dive to save people, Jor-El could dive to explore Krypton when he makes his discovery about the planet's fate.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:07 AM   #653
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
Good point. It could be that they are prepping Henry and Russell for actual diving scenes. Maybe for two separate reasons. Clark could dive to save people, Jor-El could dive to explore Krypton when he makes his discovery about the planet's fate.
That could be the case, especially with Clark in this film having to save people on a Oil Rig at some point.

I do wonder if this will be the first film, imho, that'll actually make viewers really feel the tragedy of Krypton's fate. Idk why, but with past attempts, I just feel as though Krypton's destruction was just a plot point/note in the story's structure; never really showing the impact that it's destruction had along with how tragic it was for all of those people to have perished. I do hope that in MOS, they'll try to show it where they gain the audience's empathy towards Jor-el's and Lara's/the People of Krypton fate.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:09 AM   #654
Willi Berg
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
I do wonder if this will be the first film, imho, that'll actually make viewers really feel the tragedy of Krypton's fate. Idk why, but with past attempts, I just feel as though Krypton's destruction was just a plot point/note in the story's structure; never really showing the impact that it's destruction had along with how tragic it was for all of those people to have perished. I do hope that in MOS, they'll try to show it where they gain the audience's empathy towards Jor-el's and Lara's/the People of Krypton fate.
It was good in the Animated Series that in the beginning we did see Jor-El exploring the planet and doing work as a scientist.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 AM   #655
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
That could be the case, especially with Clark in this film having to save people on a Oil Rig at some point.

And also create a bigger connection / dispute between Kal-El and Zod if the latter does in fact have a hand in the planet's demise as well as the deaths of Kal-El's parents.

Yeah, a bigger backdrop with Krypton as more of a center this time would be preferable.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:40 AM   #656
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willi Berg View Post
It was good in the Animated Series that in the beginning we did see Jor-El exploring the planet and doing work as a scientist.
Oh yeah; I can't believe I forgot about that. Yeah, that was without a doubt, one of my, if not, my absolute favorite portrayal of that. The acting, the music, and the emotions involved in that sequence really made me as a viewer feel sad for the fate of Krypton and understanding the pain of seeing Clark's parents having to send him off to a world unknown to them.

Speaking of which, I also hope that in MOS, they actually show jor-el and Lara being concerned that their son will find a good family and loved ones upon reaching earth as well since while they know that they're saving his life, they can't guarantee that he'll find a good family like the Kents to raise him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
And also create a bigger connection / dispute between Kal-El and Zod if the latter does in fact have a hand in the planet's demise as well as the deaths of Kal-El's parents.

Yeah, a bigger backdrop with Krypton as more of a center this time would be preferable.
Agreed; in a way, the whole avenging Krypton's destruction theme could go well with Clark's battle with Zod.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 AM   #657
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Agreed; in a way, the whole avenging Krypton's destruction theme could go well with Clark's battle with Zod.

Indeed. Superman would not just be protecting Earth but very have personal reasons for dealing with Zod. How Superman then would avenge this I dunno, but seing Superman with personal motivations is something that's long overdue.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #658
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

I don't get it...

If we are saying they are 'training' for scenes in which they have to swim under water, presumably in costume and without any goggles or breathing equipment...

... Then how is learning how to swim in full scuba gear going to help? I don't get it

Old 02-24-2012, 06:54 AM   #659
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust View Post
Indeed. Superman would not just be protecting Earth but very have personal reasons for dealing with Zod. How Superman then would avenge this I dunno, but seing Superman with personal motivations is something that's long overdue.
Agreed. It would really raise up the stakes in the personal department and really symbolize on how Earth is close to suffering the exact same fate as Kryton's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
I don't get it...

If we are saying they are 'training' for scenes in which they have to swim under water, presumably in costume and without any goggles or breathing equipment...

... Then how is learning how to swim in full scuba gear going to help? I don't get it

Well; we'll know in a few months to a year from now.lol I'm still under the belief that none of the kryptonians on krypton will be superpowered.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #660
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Yeah, I'm not gonna worry to much about it.

Hey, for all we know Russel Crowe and Henry Cavill where chatting between scenes and scuba diving came up in conversation, followed by 'Oh, you've never been. I'll have to take you once we're done shooting, I know this great place in Illinois...'

Old 02-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #661
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not gonna worry to much about it.

Hey, for all we know Russel Crowe and Henry Cavill where chatting between scenes and scuba diving came up in conversation, followed by 'Oh, you've never been. I'll have to take you once we're done shooting, I know this great place in Illinois...'
Either that, or they've inherited the method acting that Christian Bale is known for and thought: "Hey, we're playing father and son in MOS right? Let's get to bond with each other as though we really were father and son to make our performances believable...even though we will most likely not have a scene together on screen due to me being already dead by that point in the story..."

Still holding out for some hope that we have some pretty memorable action sequences here. I'm getting tired of other heroes having films where their action sequences are always best remembered. It's time for MOS to take the lead.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #662
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Maybe Jor El visits Earth before in past, before Kal El is sent to Earth and experiences flight capabilities, which means Crowe has to prepare for the scenes by training with scuba divers for that.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 02-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #663
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Maybe Jor El visits Earth before in past, before Kal El is sent to Earth and experiences flight capabilities, which means Crowe has to prepare for the scenes by training with scuba divers for that.
Should they go that route, just as long as they provided a reason as to why no other kryptonian used ships to get off the planet and that Jor el didn't go to earth in order to, and I quote: "Prepare the way for him to become Earth's savior" like certain incarnations have done, I'd be okay with it.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:25 AM   #664
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Quote:
Either that, or they've inherited the method acting that Christian Bale is known for and thought: "Hey, we're playing father and son in MOS right? Let's get to bond with each other as though we really were father and son to make our performances believable...even though we will most likely not have a scene together on screen due to me being already dead by that point in the story..."

Yeah true, I mean scuba diving is clearly an obvious choice for father son bonding... It's not like they'd do anything ridiculous like playing baseball or building a treehouse

Quote:
Still holding out for some hope that we have some pretty memorable action sequences here. I'm getting tired of other heroes having films where their action sequences are always best remembered. It's time for MOS to take the lead.
God yeah.

It just seems so obvious to me. When people think of the Superhero with the most amazing action sequences, it should be Superman. Of course it should be Superman, with all his power, and the level of power his enemies have as well!

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 AM   #665
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:

It just seems so obvious to me. When people think of the Superhero with the most amazing action sequences, it should be Superman. Of course it should be Superman, with all his power, and the level of power his enemies have as well!
And Ironically enough, he's still dubbed by some as a boring hero.

MOS should really stand for: Must Optimize Superman

Old 02-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #666
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

That's going in my sig when I get home

Old 02-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #667
nikdavies15
GreekinWelsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
since WETA is working on the superman bodydouble it also means that WETA is working on the cape. so DoubleNegative can not work on the cape.

maybe he is a freelancer and is focused on cloth simulations and WETA hired him(they didnt hire him) like DN hired him for HP. maybe he swtiched from DN to WETA.
Since I read your reply, I've had to check with him....and you are right. He's no longer working on the cape, but DN are still working on the movie.

Because I've been talking on here, he's now refusing to tell me anything more!!

And whoever said John Carter was the other movie is correct. I saw the aliens ages before the trailer, and thought they looked like Paul. And then he told me they did the effects for Paul....

Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #668
nikdavies15
GreekinWelsh

Quote:
I don't get it...

That's what I initially thought. Purely a bonding session between co-stars.

The only thing it would be good for movie-wise is if they had to scuba in a scene, or if there were scenes at a certain depth underwater where they would have to use a breathing apparatus between takes, mimicking on film that they are able to breath underwater - like that Highlander scene when MacLeod 'drowns' for the first time.

Maybe Kal-El has his epiphany in an underwater scene at the rig, and Jor-El appears to him (?)

Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 AM   #669
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

I'm guessing they're just haning out coming to think of it. Wouldnt scenes like this be rehearsed and shot in a tank in a studio, you know for safety issues?

Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #670
Bruce_Begins
Taking a break.

Routh did training in a water tank, maybe Snyder has taken realism a bit too far.

*\S/T*

I'll be back !
Old 02-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #671
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikdavies15 View Post
The only thing it would be good for movie-wise is if they had to scuba in a scene, or if there were scenes at a certain depth underwater where they would have to use a breathing apparatus between takes, mimicking on film that they are able to breath underwater - like that Highlander scene when MacLeod 'drowns' for the first time.
That's very likely.

For underwater “swimming scenes,” scuba is often used for safety or to facilitate setups between shots (even if the actor isn’t wearing scuba for the scene).

[mini scuba tutorial] Breathing from a regulator is easy as pie. But here’s the thing: scuba air is under pressure. So it’s dangerous to fill your lungs with the stuff, hold your breath and then swim to the surface (in an emergency situation, for instance). The air will expand and damage the lungs (which can be fatal!). Therefore, divers are taught to continuously breathe as they (slowly) ascend. This allows the expanding air to be safely exhaled. So any actor using scuba really needs training so they understand the basic physics, the potential dangers and safety procedures, etc. [/end tutorial ]

It’s interesting, though, that this training took place in Illinois. Crowe looks like he’s doing “open water” dives (a requirement for full certification) in a lake. If it was just studio tank stuff, the instruction could have been done in Vancouver or LA.

So maybe there are some extensive Smallville/water scenes…?

Old 02-24-2012, 10:27 AM   #672
Dark_Lord
Dark Lord of the Sith

It's for an underwater scene. A couple of months ago the facebook page posted this guys resume where he lists Man of Steel.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:12 AM   #673
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Lord View Post
It's for an underwater scene. A couple of months ago the facebook page posted this guys resume where he lists Man of Steel.
Well... that guy seems to be Canadian – an underwater/film dude who works out of Vancouver. So it makes sense that he’d be involved in studio "tank scenes" in Vancouver. But Below H20 is in Illinois – suggesting that there were some water scenes there (in “Smallville”) that required the actors to be scuba trained.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #674
HankTheTurtle
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Well... that guy seems to be Canadian – an underwater/film dude who works out of Vancouver. So it makes sense that he’d be involved in studio "tank scenes" in Vancouver. But Below H20 is in Illinois – suggesting that there were some water scenes there (in “Smallville”) that required the actors to be scuba trained.
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

This scene was shot underwater (and then run backwards, I believe) to give the effect of floating. If Snyder is using a similar technique for some of the flying shots in MOS, anyone involved in those shots would need Scuba training.

I don't know why Crowe would need to be involved, though. I guess it could be cool if Jor-El's death scene involved him drowning, or becoming weightless in some way (from Krypton's destruction, or maybe a malfunctioning Phantom Zone projector, or some Kryptonian weapon) and the final shot mimics one that we see later in the film when Superman is flying (maybe his first flight as Superman, after finally embracing who/what he is).

Old 02-24-2012, 03:46 PM   #675
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_Begins View Post
Routh did training in a water tank, maybe Snyder has taken realism a bit too far.
And yet the irony in all of that was Singer ended up throwing out most of the footage of Routh flying against a green screen and replacing him with a CGI model

Closed Thread