The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

View Poll Results: How would you rate Ghost Rider 2?
The perfect Ghost Rider flick! 3 2.88%
Better than the first but flawed 47 45.19%
Worse than the first but decent 12 11.54%
Much worse than the first 11 10.58%
Terrible! One of the worst Marvel movies 31 29.81%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #76
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - Rate & Review Thread

requel's are reboots.. that (ignoring a few things), make it pass as a sequel. Incredible Hulk and Ghostrider 2 both did that...)

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
spideyboy_1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 AM   #77
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

The Incredible Hulk wasn't a requel though, it was a full blown reboot.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #78
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
And that's why TIH worked.

And Ghost Rider II didn't.

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #79
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
only to the people who actually pay attention to the films. To the casual movie goer... it could have been a sequel.

if you ignore the opening credits to TIH, (which many casual movie goer's would), and ignore the "super soldier serum" it could have easily have been a sequel... HULK had an incident, where it tore betty and bruce apart, sent her father after him, and ended in South America... TIH started in South America, already had betty and bruce torn apart.. and her trying to live her own life, and her father after him..

[=]

Last edited by spideyboy_1111; 02-27-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 AM   #80
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

It could have been but it WASN'T a sequel, it made the pretty clear in the interviews leading up to the film.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #81
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
It could have been but it WASN'T a sequel, it made the pretty clear in the interviews leading up to the film.
meh.. both movies did a similar thing... (and to be fair the term requel wasn't used on a film before at that time) I could care less what the interviews said.. An apple is still an apple even if they call it an orange.

[=]
Old 02-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #82
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Yep and a reboot is still a reboot, no matter what it could have been.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #83
GuestStar2004
Side-Kick

ok i seen the film and im going to give my appinion

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
the film wasnt bad but i can see where some of the bad reviews come from...

so first of all the film was all style and visual subpar eye candy which is good if you like that sorta thing, but it contained very little substance and at times i felt like i was watching a rock music video

but while it started out promising the story become really hollow later on and i felt nic cage was the only thing that stopped it from getting boring by the end

and the characters just seemed to be there and had no development i could see, while the devil reminded me of a gangster mob boss which didnt seem very threatening at all and as for the ghostrider... well he visually looked better then in the 1st film but i dont get what was with the swaying or zombie like walking , i guess it was to make the rider seem insane and freaky but i found him more badass in the 1st film and i didnt like his voice much in this either as it was just nic cage wispering and didnt look right coming out of the riders mouth, i actally prefered the 1st films riders growly voice

while the action was better then the 1st film i really do think had there of been more action it could of just about saved this film but ghostrider appeared very little and when he did appear i kept waiting for something good to happen and when it was over i was really disapointed.

i do see why some were bothered about the ghostrider soul stare thing as it gave us no clue to what he was actally doing to the guy, just like the car fight with that bad guy (sorry dont know his name) where he just stares and screams and thats the end of the bad guy which seemed abit anti-climatic

overall sony really should have got better directors as from the outset as i could see many things that could have been done better

Last edited by GuestStar2004; 02-28-2012 at 10:17 AM.
GuestStar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #84
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Finally saw the movie today and all my fears were pretty much confirmed. The movie was poorly made, not very faithful to the comics, poorly directed and generally looked cheap.

The only thing that saved it were the cast, Cage and Elba especially, and SOME of the action. In fact the final 20-30 mins of the movie pretty much saved it from being extremely poor. Blackout was crap, using the comics Blackout would have been much more effective along with using his comic powers.

The Rider did some VERY bizarre things and some scene's were literally cringe-worthy. Swaying from side to side, floating in mid-air, and especially the scene of Cage just screaming into the camera for about 5 mins straight, not to mention the crap 3D. I have never liked the directors, and the fact that they decided they knew better than countless comic book writers who have done amazing things over the years with GR shows how idiotic they are. And dont get me started on the pathetic excuse for the Penance Satre they gave us. Keep these two away from any and ALL comic book movies forever please. I actually dont think the script and story were that bad but these guys messed both up.

5/10 for me, as a GR fan VERY dissapointing.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #85
Aesculapius
Side-Kick

This was much worse than the first. Nothing about the story was compelling. It was more or less riding on cool special effects and meh action sequences, and it didn't even have enough of those to go around. And yes, his "pennance stare" was so friggin lame, in both story and effect. Also, in the first battle he gets pwned. That was funny ****, but didn't really do much to bring home the effect that the rider is a badass.

I did still like Nicholas Cage as Johnny Blaze, and the decay person thing was kinda neat which was the only real leg up it had over the first: It had at least one compelling antagonist. (That said, Peter Fonda was by far a better devil.)

Otherwise, script was ****, casting was ****, direction was ****, and editing was ****. Soundtrack was cool for action sequences, but outside of that it didn't lend itself to the movie.

That said, I never understood the hate for the first one. It was a compelling first movie, and it's main problem was simply that it never had a compelling villain. It was like Johnny Blaze becomes a badass and then beats Blackheart who is a little more than just a little lame (but at least played by a half decent actor.)

All in all, this movie could have been a million times better, and probably not a million times worse. It was so bland it made vanilla sound exciting.

Last edited by Aesculapius; 03-05-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Correcting my mistake of combining Nicholas Cage and Johnny Blaze to form "Johnny Cage"
Aesculapius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #86
Docker2.0
Watchin' you!

Just left the theater and seeing this movie. I was actually surprised at how dark it was. It could have been better but I don't think it was horrible. I liked Blackout and some of the horror aspects of GR. They could have actually built on this movie had the first one not been sketched in our minds. It's not as bad as people make it out to be. I give it a 6.5/10.

"Which free agent (not counting LeBron) are you most interested to see with his new team? Why?

"Joey Crawford, From the Heat to the Cavs"

- AJ Walkin- ESPN Poster
Docker2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #87
Kevin Roegele
Do you mind if I don't?

Far better than the first simply by being mediocre and not awful.

There is no Marvel/DC rivalry. Most of the great comic creators worked for both; Jack Kirby, Frank Miller, Grant Morrison, Walt Simonsen, Gil Kane, Steve Ditko, John Byrne, Steve Englehart, Mark Waid...even Stan Lee.
Kevin Roegele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #88
scatterax
Presented in Technicolor

I liked SoV. Cage as the rider was much better/creepier this time around. I loved all the animal movements he put into it.

4) The Dark Knight Rises 5) The Incredible Hulk 6) Scott Pilgrim vs The World
7)X-Men:Days of Future Past 8) X-Men:First Class 9) Thor 10) Spider-Man 2
scatterax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #89
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

So is anyone getting this on BD/DVD? I didnt really like it but as a GR fan I need my fix and I dont see another GR movie coming any time soon.

1)X-Men: DOFP-10(2)Interstellar-9.5(3)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(4)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9.5(5)Gone Girl-9(6)Captain America: TWS-9(7)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(8)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(9)WOWS-8.5(10)Godzilla-8(11)Neighbours-8(12)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(13)Lego Movie-7.5(14)Transformers: AOE-7.5(15)Robocop-7.5(16)Sin City: ADTDF-7(17)300:ROAE-7(18)The Equalizer-7(19)MWTDITW-7(20)47 Ronin-6(21)Monuments Men-5(22)Ride Along-5(23)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 04-11-2012, 02:27 PM   #90
Drz
Real Hero

Yeah i'll get the Blu-ray, hope it comes with juicy extras.

Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #91
Microchip
Gettin my applesauce back

uhhh... no. If I want to experience the awesomeness of this movie, I'll just watch the trailer. Most of it is in there, and presented much, much better.

Microchip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 AM   #92
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

^Yeah I see what you mean MC, but I will probably buy it just for the GR scene's, the whole of which werent shown in the trailer, although the majority was.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:47 PM   #93
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microchip View Post
uhhh... no. If I want to experience the awesomeness of this movie, I'll just watch the trailer. Most of it is in there, and presented much, much better.
Truth.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:13 AM   #94
Ken-Kaniff
Blue Steel!

Definetly better than the first, I liked it! Some wicked scenes.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #95
Casius--J
Web Master

Finally got around to watching and yes it was pretty bad. It just looked so cheap, typical direct to video European production.

When GR was actually on screen he was pretty cool, I loved the effects much better in this one, the look of GR himself better and the action was a bit better too. When I heard the guys responsible for Crank and Gamer were making this I thought it would be insane with some awesome action......I didn't get that so I felt disappointed.

All in all I would rate it the same as the first, both have their pros and cons.

4/10

Casius--J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #96
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Wow...this film made the first film look Oscar worthy.
These directors continue to suck.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:08 AM   #97
<(o_o)>
Evangeline Is My Hero!

It had a very straight to video/made for Syfy Channel feel & look to it.

I liked the motorcycle & its transformation into the hell cycle better in the first movie.

They didn't have to completely negate the events of the first movie unless Sony just didn't allow them to use clips from the first movie or would the director's have had to pay Sony for the right to use clips from the first movie in the second movie?

Old 06-16-2012, 10:53 AM   #98
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

The directors are hired by Sony who owns both films. Sony allowed them to make creative changes.

Having watched it again on DVD last night I realize there are about 2min of silliness that could be edited out that alone would raise this movie a letter grade.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #99
kaijunexus
===---- ゴジラ 2014 ----===

Just saw it on DVD.

Should have been called Ghost Rider: Empty Highways of Eastern Europe

The GR effects were pretty good, the mannerisms were suitably creepy at times and laughably wacky (in a bad way) at others.

Everything else was just...terrible. Nic Cage was not playing Johnny Blaze in any way, shape or form. He was some drugged out lunatic who happened to turn into Ghost Rider.

The other actors were either just bad or had very little to work with (Idris Elba, what a wasted talent in this film). The story was weak and thin, and the pacing was really off. Score was completely forgettable.

Ugh... I want my hour and a half back, please.

(at least Sony will probably give up on GR at this point, and we can hope Marvel will get the rights back soon and maybe do something respectable with the character)

ゴジラ
kaijunexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #100
Midnyte_Sun
Medianoche de Sol

It's a damn shame with all these great hero-based action movies that are coming out, Sony spent their entire budget on Spiderman and left this franchise to the wind. If they don't want to respect it, give it back.

Midnyte_Sun is offline   Reply With Quote