The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Which one is going to make more money?
The Avengers 33 22.76%
The Dark Knight Rises 112 77.24%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #26
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Man, I can't wait until both of these films are out and earning money so we can finally see which film does not the most.
Yeah, because we don't know.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:30 PM   #27
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Some people just like to pretend that the writing isn't on the wall. I'm not even talking about quality here, I'm talking about box office numbers. TDKR is going to out gross The Avengers. That doesn't mean that The Avengers will bomb or be a bad film the just means that The Dark Knight Rises will make more.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 03-05-2012 at 12:35 PM.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #28
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
Lol "does not the most", I must've been tired as hell when I typed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I'm going to see both of the films but as I said before and I'll say it again; there is no doubt which one will do the best at the box office. It's not a fanboy or fangirl thing it's just a fact that TDKR is a lock to make more than The Avengers. It's coming off of a 530million dollar mega hit and The Avengers is following a movie that did what? 170mil. And the highest grosser in the individual franchises did 318mil. There really isn't a huge battle, the question is how much will The Avengers lose by.
So is this thread only about the domestic gross or how much the films make overrall?

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*

Last edited by BigThor; 03-05-2012 at 12:41 PM.
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #29
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Double post

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM   #30
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Lol "does not the most", I must've been tired as hell when I typed that.

So is this thread only about the domestic gross or how much the films make overrall?
I didn't start this thread so how the hell should I know?

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #31
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Some people just like to pretend that the writing isn't on the wall. I'm not even talking about quality here, I'm talking about box office numbers. TDKR is going to out gross The Avengers. That doesn't mean that The Avengers will bomb or be a bad film the just means that The Dark Knight Rises will make more.
Oh and if I'm not mistaken Batman Begins grossed 372 million in the box office, so just because none of the previous Marvel Studios films grossed as much as TDK doesn't mean The Avengers can't buck the trend.

That's flawed logic you're using there, I see where you're coming from but nothing is set it stone.

Quote:
I didn't start this thread so how the hell should I know?

Calm down geez, I was just asking because everyone keep using domestic numbers as if world wide grosses don't count.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #32
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Oh and if I'm not mistaken Batman Begins grossed 372 million in the box office, so just because none of the previous Marvel Studios films grossed as much as TDK doesn't mean The Avengers can't buck the trend.

That's flawed logic you're using there, I see where you're coming from but nothing is set it stone.
Of course nothing is set in stone but I see no reason why a Batman movie featuring Catwoman that is a sequel to a beloved film will not out-gross The Avengers? You can't compare TDK situation to the Avengers because the last Avengers related film did not sell an amazing amount on DVD like Batman Begins did nor was it as well received. (I loved Captain America BTW). Also The Avengers doesn't have one of the most popular villains ever and the star who played that villain probably won't tragically die before the film comes out thus giving the film more attention from the media than it would have ever received.

Quote:
Calm down geez, I was just asking because everyone keep using domestic numbers as if world wide grosses don't count.
I was calm when I wrote that response and I'm calm now. I said hell not the F-word. Hell is not a big deal.

I have seen nobody say that worldwide grosses don't count. They count and even there I see Batman beating Avengers in total. I don't think that the international thing is as cut and dry as domestic but overall Batman will win.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #33
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Of course nothing is set in stone but I see no reason why a Batman movie featuring Catwoman that is a sequel to a beloved film will not out-gross The Avengers? You can't compare TDK situation to the Avengers because the last Avengers related film did not sell an amazing amount on DVD like Batman Begins did nor was it as well received. (I loved Captain America BTW). Also The Avengers doesn't have one of the most popular villains ever and the star who played that villain probably won't tragically die before the film comes out thus giving the film more attention from the media than it would have ever received.
If I'm not mistaken CA:TFA did amazing well in the DVD/Blu-Ray department and it's Rotten Tomatoes score is 78% which isn't much lower than BB's 85%.

Very good point concerning the popularity of The Joker and Heath Ledgers tragic demise beforehand, but Hiddleston Loki gained quite a bit of buzz in THOR causing Loki's popularity to sky rocket (not that it's on the same level as The Joker).

Quote:
I was calm when I wrote that response and I'm calm now. I said hell not the F-word. Hell is not a big deal.

I have seen nobody say that worldwide grosses don't count. They count and even there I see Batman beating Avengers in total. I don't think that the international thing is as cut and dry as domestic but overall Batman will win.
Oh ok, I'm not saying anything is wrong with the word "hell" it's just the way you used it made you come off as being a bit angry.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #34
Optimus_Prime_
Banned User

Loki is definitely not Joker level, although I feel the Avengers as a whole definitely will gain a lot of attention. Those heroes will all be A-List come May.

Optimus_Prime_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #35
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime_ View Post
Loki is definitely not Joker level, although I feel the Avengers as a whole definitely will gain a lot of attention. Those heroes will all be A-List come May.
Yeah Loki's not Joker level (just like Thor isn't Batman level), but after Hiddleston's portrayal of him in THOR he's definately alot popular now than he was before THOR was released.

Spider-Man - Hear what?
Old 03-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #36
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

As much as The Avengers will make (750-800 million), I just don't see the film eclipsing TDKR (850-900 million), especially after the cult-status that the franchise received with TDK. People can bring up Ledger's death and The Joker as the reason why, but it doesn't matter at this point anymore. Chris Nolan is a brand name, and Inception proved that. Now add Batman to the mix, and you've got a Box Office monster awaiting.

DoomsdayApex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #37
PowerPacked
Banned User

I'd like to point out that, in 5 Days, the new Avengers trailer has almost gotten as many views as the second TDKR trailer.

Avengers: 12,936,702 views
TDKR: 14,539,699 views since December

It's also gotten more likes on youtube:

TDKR trailer: 50,124 likes, 1,156 dislikes

Avengers: 71,668 likes, 1,899 dislikes

Perhaps maybe Avengers making a billion isn't as farfetched as Batfans think it will be.

PowerPacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #38
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPacked View Post
I'd like to point out that, in 5 Days, the new Avengers trailer has almost gotten as many views as the second TDKR trailer.

Avengers: 12,936,702 views
TDKR: 14,539,699 views since December

It's also gotten more likes on youtube:

TDKR trailer: 50,124 likes, 1,156 dislikes

Avengers: 71,668 likes, 1,899 dislikes

Perhaps maybe Avengers making a billion isn't as farfetched as Batfans think it will be.
It's possible but Google search results, YouTube views, MTV polls, Spike Awards, Facebook likes, Tweets, etc don't translate into guaranteed success.

Those are practically useless stats.

Henry Cavill: The Ultimate Man-Crush
(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Quote:
Oldman: "Wow, this is it."

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Nolan: "Oh, it's on. Here Emma, hold my vest."
Old 03-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #39
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

I don't see either The Avengers and TDKR making a billion, to be honest. There's too much competition.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #40
PowerPacked
Banned User

Funny, you were bragging no less than a page ago about how TDKR's now defunct Itunes record indicated it had more hype. Now you've recently been taking the stance of 'numbers don't matter since there's so many of them'.

Sounds a little convenient.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #41
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Funny, you were bragging no less than a page ago about how TDKR's now defunct Itunes record indicated it had more hype. Now you've recently been taking the stance of 'numbers don't matter since there's so many of them'.

Sounds a little convenient.
Go back and re-read what I posted Einstein.

It's not something to gloat about. The Avengers held that record beforehand, and my mentioning of the record was to prove to that certain someone, ummm yeah, TDKR does have hype behind it as well.

Did you see me going around The Avengers boards and gloat about the record? No. Did I claim that TDKR will the biggest film ever simply because it beat out The Avengers in a MTV poll or at the Scream Awards? No, because it's useless, at the end of the day.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Nolan: [facetiously] "Yeah. [pause] Unless you want to whore your ass out for a load of money for ĎBatman 4."
Quote:
Nolan: "I've gotta pee. It's a two pee movie. I need to make a shorter movie next time."
Quote:

Last edited by DoomsdayApex; 03-05-2012 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #42
PowerPacked
Banned User

I'm just saying, somehow I bet if the numbers were pointing in your favor, you wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them....

Old 03-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #43
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Hey guys! The Avengers sold more underwear than The Dark Knight Rises. Maybe a billion won't be that far-fetched.

I also asked my dog which movie will make more money and he walked over to the Avengers poster instead of the TDKR poster. Now it's guaranteed to make more.

Keep bringing up more and more frivolous, useless stats, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #44
PowerPacked
Banned User

Forgive me for using, you know, statistical evidence to support my claims instead of 'Nolan's awesome so it'll make monehs'.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #45
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Eh, I'm sick of them, to be honest. Numbers keep popping in The Avengers and Batman boards every now and then, and it's starting to become redundant. I mean, what happens if both The Avengers and TDKR don't meet expectations at the box office, what was the point in obsessing over the numbers?

After taking a step back and viewing the situation more objectively, it becomes evident that 2012 is perhaps the jam-packed film year ever.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #46
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

I'm not biased towards either way, but the only stats that matter are box office numbers, and in the past, TDK did a much better job than any of Marvel's movies, which suggests that TDKR will more likely do better. Which movie will actually be the better movie is yet to be seen.

Quote:
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #47
PowerPacked
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
Hey guys! The Avengers sold more underwear than The Dark Knight Rises. Maybe a billion won't be that far-fetched.

I also asked my dog which movie will make more money and he walked over to the Avengers poster instead of the TDKR poster. Now it's guaranteed to make more.

Keep bringing up more and more frivolous, useless stats, guys.
Yes, how dare we use evidence of people really liking something to use as evidence that they really like it! Clearly they are wrong.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #48
PowerPacked
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Eh, I'm sick of them, to be honest. Numbers keep popping in The Avengers and Batman boards every now and then, and it's starting to become redundant. I mean, what happens if both The Avengers and TDKR don't meet expectations at the box office, what was the point in obsessing over the numbers?

After taking a step back and viewing the situation more objectively, it becomes evident that 2012 is perhaps the jam-packed film year ever.
Box office predictions appearing in a thread CREATED TO GUESS WHICH FILM WOULD MAKE MORE AT THE BOX OFFICE?

I would never have imagined.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #49
DoomsdayApex
∆zrael "Fallen Angel" X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
I'm not biased towards either way, but the only stats that matter are box office numbers, and in the past, TDK did a much better job than any of Marvel's movies, which suggests that TDKR will more likely do better. Which movie will actually be the better movie is yet to be seen.
Frankly, I'm just excited for this year. If we do die, then we'll die being entertained.

Skyfall, Prometheus, TAS, TDKR, TA, Hunger Games, Lincoln, etc.

(Move on over Tom Hardy)

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Old 03-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #50
Parker Wayne
Let me get it already!

Quote:
Yes, how dare we use evidence of people really liking something to use as evidence that they really like it! Clearly they are wrong.
I didn't say you can't. I just said it's useless and in no way there's no correlation between youtube views, twitter views, or any social media have any effect on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsdayApex View Post
Frankly, I'm just excited for this year. If we do die, then we'll die being entertained.

Skyfall, Prometheus, TAS, TDKR, TA, Hunger Games, Lincoln, etc.
This.

Quote: